[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2019 at 7:09 AM, spencerhu said:

thank u soooooooooo much, i used the NoVPAJpeg.kext mehod, it really worked and soved a big problem for me. 

i am so grateful for your selfless work , thank u again!!

You're welcome :) And it's really nice to see your first post is a thank you post.

I'm glad to see this thread helps people fix this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 6:48 AM, arsradu said:

I know this has been discussed before.
The hackintosh video preview quicklook problem, loading wheel
and vlc and quicktime freezing when videos opened.
I have had this problem for almost a year now. 

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5
AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
Skylake I7 6700k 4Ghz
DDR4 32GB ram 2133

I had Nvidia 1060 3GB, with Cuda and Nvidia web drivers installed.
For a couple of months the preview and quicklook was working aswell as vlc, 
but if the computer went to sleep, when awoke the preview quicklook wouldn't work.
I was advised to get an AMD RX 580 card.
Now with RX 580, I have the same problem.

Davinci resolve exports and plays RAW footage better with RX 580
Nvidia 1060 played and exported some green frames.

Everything works well except for this problem.
I have done several re installs of high sierra and Mojave with clover
and tried changing some things in Bios but cannot
fix this preview problem.

Any help or advice that can help me fix this I would pay for.
Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Edited by kevasaurus

1 hour ago, kevasaurus said:

I know this has been discussed before.
The hackintosh video preview quicklook problem, loading wheel
and vlc and quicktime freezing when videos opened.
I have had this problem for almost a year now. 

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5
AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
Skylake I7 6700k 4Ghz
DDR4 32GB ram 2133

I had Nvidia 1060 3GB, with Cuda and Nvidia web drivers installed.
For a couple of months the preview and quicklook was working aswell as vlc, 
but if the computer went to sleep, when awoke the preview quicklook wouldn't work.
I was advised to get an AMD RX 580 card.
Now with RX 580, I have the same problem.

Davinci resolve exports and plays RAW footage better with RX 580
Nvidia 1060 played and exported some green frames.

Everything works well except for this problem.
I have done several re installs of high sierra and Mojave with clover
and tried changing some things in Bios but cannot
fix this preview problem.

Any help or advice that can help me fix this I would pay for.
Anyone out there have any suggestions?

I have the same rig, you can send me your EFI folder and I can take a look.

Edited by Cyberdevs

On 4/26/2019 at 9:31 PM, Cyberdevs said:

I have the same rig, you can send me your EFI folder and I can take a look.

Great, okay. How can I send you my EFI folder?

On 7/20/2018 at 6:48 AM, arsradu said:

I find it funny that, for AMD cards, the PCIe card needs to be set primary. For Nvidia cards, the IGFX needs to be set as primary. :)) Kinda the other way around.

Also, I'm a bit confused regarding your post. :)) So...it worked with the Haswell build, but still doesn't work on the CoffeLake build? Cause, they should work the exact same way. Minus the differences in CPU, which might require some patches, and the iGPU, which would also require some patches.

Did you try a cleaner config? Seems to make quite a lot of difference if you read the previous posts. I can take a look if you want. But the differences between your system and mine are pretty substantial, so...what I can advise you is to start small. Start with the things you KNOW you need. ONLY those. Only minimum necessary to boot. And build from there.

There will be patches needed for the iGPU, for sure. But...a cleaner config might just do the trick in your case, since now the BIOS should be all set up.

8 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Give this folder a try, you need to make sure that the iGPU is enabled and active in BIOS as secondary and use your RX 580 as primary.

macOS Mojave 10.14.4 EFI for GA-Z170X0-Gaming 5.zip

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6   does that matter?
I think the install I have may have been done with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]
Does that matter? Can clover still be used, 
I am away for a few days.
Apologise if I'm a few days replying. 
Thanks for your help

Edited by kevasaurus

1 minute ago, kevasaurus said:

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6   does that matter?
I think the install I have may have been done with ##### and #####,
if it was can I use clover? Or should I remove some of those ##### ##### files.
I am away for a few days.
Apologise if I'm a few days replying. 
Thanks for your help

We do not support TonyMacs methods or tools please read the Rules and no it doesn't make any differences if you are using High Sierra or macOS Mojave, but as far as I know this issue started with Mojave there was no QuickLook or Preview issue on High Sierra so there must be other factors at play.

What I suggest is to use the vanilla method for installing macOS instead of using 3rd party tools and do a clean install and see if the issue is still there or not. This is my topic for installing macOS on our rigs which you can follow and do the clean install. The guide is for macOS Sierra but may of the aspects are the same.

If you have any questions regarding the installation please post in that topic.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ritte said:

Is this still needed after 10.14.5? 

I still have problem with jpeg, not using this kext. I though this update would fix the problem.

I have rx580.

Why would you think so? If you don't want to use the kext (I'm guessing you're talking about NoVpaJpeg.kext) there are other methods you can use to fix this issue. But I don't know why would you think this issue was fixed with the 10.14.5 update.

Appreciate this helpful thread!

I am running on ivy bridge i7 on gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard,  sapphire pulse rx 580 video card.

- picked up the quicklook/preview hang problem, lost transparency in my terminal window

- was able to update to 10.14.15 using the apple update in the System Preferences

- tried changing SMBIOS to iMac18,3 (based on the video card), but still had the problem with quicklook.

- changed SMBIOS to MacPro6,1 - this good

everything appears to work - transparency, quicklook, preview.  

Update:  changing SMBIOS to MacPro6,1 resulted in problems with starting iTunes.  

i was getting the following entries on the itunes crash log:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000044c
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

i searched for these terms and was thinking this was related to my recent changes, as iTunes was starting successfully earlier today.

Currently working for me:  Model Identifier iMac14,2, added NoVPAJpeg.kext to EFI kext folder.  (n.b. i do not use whatevergreen as part of my rx580 install; i am using lilu for the apple audio driver)

Using NoVPAJpeg.kext seems to fix Preview.app and Quick Look for me.  Using an iMac model ident seems to let itunes load up, play songs, and interact with icloud library.  using this kext seems to be a more complete solution than changing to a MacPro SMBIOS for me.

Update 2:  i am not sure what happened but NoVPAJpeg seemed to be unloaded in the last 5 days.  My previous itunes problem did not return, but i was unable to quicklook jpegs or use preview.  i used clover configurator to mount the EFI, and download and install the NoVPAJpeg kext again.  upon reboot, itunes, quickloock, and preview seem to be working.  

Edited by ogofish
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, ogofish said:

Update:  changing SMBIOS to MacPro6,1 resulted in problems with starting iTunes.  

i was getting the following entries on the itunes crash log:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000044c
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

i searched for these terms and was thinking this was related to my recent changes, as iTunes was starting successfully earlier today.

Currently working for me:  Model Identifier iMac14,2, added NoVPAJpeg.kext to EFI kext folder.  (n.b. i do not use whatevergreen as part of my rx580 install; i am using lilu for the apple audio driver)

Using NoVPAJpeg.kext seems to fix Preview.app and Quick Look for me.  Using an iMac model ident seems to let itunes load up, play songs, and interact with icloud library.  using this kext seems to be a more complete solution than changing to a MacPro SMBIOS for me.

Update 2:  i am not sure what happened but NoVPAJpeg seemed to be unloaded in the last 5 days.  My previous itunes problem did not return, but i was unable to quicklook jpegs or use preview.  i used clover configurator to mount the EFI, and download and install the NoVPAJpeg kext again.  upon reboot, itunes, quickloock, and preview seem to be working.  

Thanks for the updates. Indeed, with MacPro SMBIOSes we fix the QuickLook and Preview issues, but iTunes starts to crash. I feel like this is a new issue...because I don't remember seeing it before, with the same SMBIOS.

Switching to an iMac SMBIOS fixed the iTunes crashes, but of course, you need to pay attention to the iGPU and to fix the QuickLook issue some other way. You chose NoVPAJpeg kext. I chose fixing my iGPU and switching to an iMac SMBIOS instead. Both methods work fine.

Many thanks for this. :) I've also added a note on the main post, so that people are aware of it. I feel like this is most likely a general issue. But, just in case it's not, it's still good to know.

I was wondering, has anyone tried Catalina without any of these fixes? I doubt it was fixed somehow with this update. And I didn't get the chance to try it out myself yet. Just wondering if the issue still occurs with the new OS, cause if it does (and I see no reason why it wouldn't), then I'd like to add Catalina to the title of this thread, so that people running it can come here to try and fix this issue.

Once again, thank you very much for digging into this and posting your results here. Much appreciated. :)

Edited by arsradu

• 2 weeks later...

confirm this kext works !

i put novpajpeg (built with lilu 1.3.5) in Efi/clover/kext/other along with lilu 1.3.6 kext and reboot

my build :

i7 4790k

msi z97x gaming 7

msi radeon rx580 armor 8gb oc edition

mojave 10.14 (build 1BA391)

SMBIOS iMac 17,1 (imac retina 5k, 27", late 2015)

thank u very much for this!

Hello.

I have i3-4170 + hd4400 + 10.14.5 and problems with preview.

I try:

1. change smbios to macmini, imac, macpro and etc = no result.

2. add novpa add my other clover folder (this folder contains: fake, alc, lilu, novpa, realtek8111 and whatevergreen) = no result.

Of course preview work on 10.13, but i love dark mode ;( 

My GPU works by edit devices section(see attach).

Thanks for any help.

Sorry for my english, it's not my first language. 

Screenshot 2019-06-20 at 10.41.06.png

Edited by wired-man

Hello, there are many things wrong with your config. Starting with the fact that it looks downloaded from a certain forum of which we don't speak here.

Are you using a dedicated GPU? Can you also provide information about your motherboard? Your config is..not really clean, for as far as I can see. For example, why FakeCPUID? And why that ID? Generate C-States, P-states set to False, no PluginType...

Also, I think I've seen some other people with i3 processors and issues getting either acceleration to properly work, or QuickLook/Preview...

Also, when you upload your config.plist, please, put it in a zip, so you don't make a huge post with a copy-paste of the entire xml.

Can you generate a new config (you can do it from Clover Configurator) and try that one instead? It might or might not make a difference to the actual issue, but it might generate a cleaner config than Tony's.

I also made a few changes to your config. Could you, please, try the attached one?

Always have a backup of your config/EFI folder on a USB so you can boot in case of emergency.

config.plist.zip

Edited by arsradu

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying to fix this issue for three days, and finally have done it by adding the boot arguments

shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

The clover config I am using already included WhateverGreen.kext. No need to modify this kext, just add the boot arguments (to config.plist under EFI->CLOVER directory in EFI mount). 

Enabling IGPU didn't work for me, just delayed boot process with messages like "timeout IGPU" or something. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks a lot :thumbsup_anim:

This whole thread  saved my day!

I recently switch from Config1 to Config0, upgrading to 10.14.6 along the way.

Got the problem with Quicklook and jpg, now solved using whatevergreen shiki parameters.

Insanelymac is always my first stop when searching for information and help.

SMBIOS configured as iMac 18,3: runs fine, sleeps and wakes ok, last remaining glitches to solve are writing custom SSDT for USB ports and pushing proc to 5GHz.

• Like 1

@bdv Nice! I'm so glad to hear this.

To be honest, I never expected this thread to have such a big impact on users. I thought it would be buried under other threads, few weeks after launch. I'm really happy to see people still finding it useful and being able to fix this annoying issue using this thread. :)

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 3