[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Cyberdevs said:

Based on your hardware specs you should be able to use the methods provided in the first post. How is your config.plist configured?

Are you using any kexts for activating your GPUs or you just use clover's injections or DSDT/SSDTs for your hardware?

The only kexts I use that effect the GPU are Lilu and Whatevergreen as they allow me to use my DP on the RX580. I can upload my EFI if you want to have a look.

Just now, RedHibby said:

The only kexts I use that effect the GPU are Lilu and Whatevergreen as they allow me to use my DP on the RX580. I can upload my EFI if you want to have a look.

Yeah upload your EFI folder I will take a look, please remove the following folders from the EFI folder and the following data from your config.plist before uploading it:

Folders:

Apple

Themes

Data from config.plist

1. Serial Number

2. MLB

3. UUID or SmUUID if you have them.

20 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah upload your EFI folder I will take a look, please remove the following folders from the EFI folder and the following data from your config.plist before uploading it:

Folders:

Apple

Themes

Data from config.plist

1. Serial Number

2. MLB

3. UUID or SmUUID if you have them.

My EFI.

Edited by RedHibby

20 hours ago, RedHibby said:

My EFI.

Thanks for the help but I am pleased to say I have got it working. I had another look at my BIOS and found the IGPU in the advanced system agent. I enabled it and my preview is working perfectly.

Screenshot 2018-08-12 at 23.55.07.jpg

Edited by RedHibby

5 hours ago, RedHibby said:

Thanks for the help but I am pleased to say I have got it working. I had another look at my BIOS and found the IGPU in the advanced system agent. I enabled it and my preview is working perfectly.

That's good news ;)

As a followup to my earlier posting, I have been able to get this working on my Coffee Lake system I wrote about earlier. (Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, i5-8400, RX-580) The recent Public Beta (18A365a) added some more systems into the graphics support, Pavo wrote this somewhere in the main Mohave pre-release thread.

I used Clover Configurator to generate the smbios section for an iMac Pro, removed stuff like the firmware features, etc. -- letting Clover generate that information, and replaced this small smbios section in my main config.plist, took the machine offline and restarted. Preview and QuickLook worked as they should. I did not have to turn on the IGPU in the BIOS settings, nor use inject-intel = true or make any other changes.

So Pavo's idea about the smbios settings waaaaaay back when does look like it is on the mark. Hopefully Apple will keep adding more systems so that Preview and QuickLook work right, after all iTunes, Safari, pretty much all of the other apps use jpegs and display them correctly already.

Thank you all for your help.

55 minutes ago, jerryy2 said:

As a followup to my earlier posting, I have been able to get this working on my Coffee Lake system I wrote about earlier. (Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, i5-8400, RX-580) The recent Public Beta (18A365a) added some more systems into the graphics support, Pavo wrote this somewhere in the main Mohave pre-release thread.

I used Clover Configurator to generate the smbios section for an iMac Pro, removed stuff like the firmware features, etc. -- letting Clover generate that information, and replaced this small smbios section in my main config.plist, took the machine offline and restarted. Preview and QuickLook worked as they should. I did not have to turn on the IGPU in the BIOS settings, nor use inject-intel = true or make any other changes.

So Pavo's idea about the smbios settings waaaaaay back when does look like it is on the mark. Hopefully Apple will keep adding more systems so that Preview and QuickLook work right, after all iTunes, Safari, pretty much all of the other apps use jpegs and display them correctly already.

Thank you all for your help.

Yeah DP7 seems to be more forth coming on the Graphics and overall performance. I recently updated my SandyBridge rig with no IGPU and only the AMD R9 270X and there are almost no issues in regard to preview, quick look and Screen Capture (Video)

I'm confident that with the final release all the issues will be resolved.

25 minutes ago, RedHibby said:

I turned of my IGPU and Preview fails to open JPG's. Perhaps the next update will sort out Preview for RX580's. Back to switching my IGPU back on. :)

I believe for iMac17,1 SMBIOS you need to leave the iGPU on because in a real iMac17,1 the intel hd 530 frambuffer is loading when macOS starts, even though there's no RX580 chipset for the dGPU in the iMac17,1 but it is how it's defined.

Edited by Cyberdevs
  • Like 1

up dated to:10.14 Beta (18A365a). only after Adding a Sapphire 280X . In the second PCI slot (as i couldnt be bothered to change the water cooled loop around.And. As no support for EVGA GTX 1070

All seems to work ok except previewing jpg screen shots

• 3 weeks later...

My mobo has Intel HD Graphics 2500 chip. I have put my activated IGFX in BIOS and tried to configure it by adding IntelGraphicsFixup.kext in /EFI/Clover/kexts/other and removing DSDT. But mojave just completed boot (using -v) and the display just remained black with the text without showing the GUI. In Sierra it caused kernel panic and reboot.

•  

1 hour ago, Nila said:

My mobo has Intel HD Graphics 2500 chip. I have put my activated IGFX in BIOS and tried to configure it by adding IntelGraphicsFixup.kext in /EFI/Clover/kexts/other and removing DSDT. But mojave just completed boot (using -v) and the display just remained black with the text without showing the GUI. In Sierra it caused kernel panic and reboot.

What is the model of you main GPU?

as far as I know the intel HD 2500 is not supported in macOS you can use it to stop the dGPU from being initialized during boot which is not the case in macOS and resolving the black screen issue.

Yes you need to use your GT730 instead, even if you get the HD2500 to be recognized by macOS you won't have acceleration for the HD2500 GPU anyway so I doubt it would be helpful.

Which version of Mojave are you trying to install? because I guess the transparency issue is now fixed on DP8 and newer releases.

I have fully functional 7790 and R9 270X macOS Mojave since DP8 but I'm not sure about nVidia GPUs but I think your GT730 is supported natively. isn't it?

1 minute ago, MrVanosh said:

Is there any other solution instead of changing SMBIOS? I don't have iGPU in my processor Xeon 1231v3 (Haswell). My PC is Asus Maximus VII Hero, Xeon 1231v3, Sapphire RX 480 8GB Nitro+

Did you not get to the alternative medicine part of the tutorial? :)

On 9/7/2018 at 6:06 PM, Cyberdevs said:

Yes you need to use your GT730 instead, even if you get the HD2500 to be recognized by macOS you won't have acceleration for the HD2500 GPU anyway so I doubt it would be helpful.

Which version of Mojave are you trying to install? because I guess the transparency issue is now fixed on DP8 and newer releases.

I have fully functional 7790 and R9 270X macOS Mojave since DP8 but I'm not sure about nVidia GPUs but I think your GT730 is supported natively. isn't it?

NVIDIA GT 730 Is natively supported. Only problem was Preview and Quick Look. As suggested in this forum, enabling HD 2500 was required to solve this problem. But I couldnot make it to work on Mojave and read somewhere that it is not supported since Mavericks. So I changed my SMBIOS to MacPro 6.1 and Preview and Quck Look works perfectly.

4 hours ago, Coke said:

Its worth mentioning that the 'alternative medicine' will most likely disable the encode/decode capabilities of the external GPU. You can bypass it with the -shikigva=4 bootflag on Skylake/KabyLake rigs...

That is indeed good info. Thank you. I haven't tried this method on any Skylake builds yet. At least none with a supported dedicated GPU. So yeah, I could not confirm it working in this particular case. Good to know. Thanks. :)

I switched to SMBIOS 6,1 switched off my IGPU and removed Lilu and Whatevergreen. Everything is now working perfectly no issues with preview.

Edited by RedHibby
  • Like 2

Hello...

I have the same issue with Mojave Public Beta on Desktop, Quick Look and Preview app glitch for JPG files. But In my case i have no Graphics card, only integrated graphics (intel HD 4400). My Display is connect to Display Port (DP). I have VGA and DP option for Display connection no HDMI. 

My config is attached. 

Please Help 

Bhaggu

EFI.zip

3 hours ago, bhaggu said:

Hello...

I have the same issue with Mojave Public Beta on Desktop, Quick Look and Preview app glitch for JPG files. But In my case i have no Graphics card, only integrated graphics (intel HD 4400). My Display is connect to Display Port (DP). I have VGA and DP option for Display connection no HDMI. 

My config is attached. 

Please Help 

Bhaggu

Strange. This issue should not occur with the iGPU (and it didn't in my case). I know this is your first post, and I welcome you to this forum, but I'm gonna ask you to add your hardware information to your signature to see what we're dealing with. I can see you're using a Haswell system. But still, it would be nice to know a little more than that. :)

If your WhateverGreen kext is up to date (as it should be), you shouldn't need IntelGraphicsFixup kext anymore since it's already included into WEG. Could you try to remove it (or move it to Desktop, so you can put it back in case of anything) and try again?

About the config, I would strongly recommend you to always remove serial numbers from SMBIOS and RT Variables before uploading your config (or the entire EFI) for analysis.

Also, could you try iMac14,2 for once and see if it makes any difference? You can simply make a copy of your current config.plist, edit it, and rename the old one for iMac13,3 to configiMac13,3.plist or something, so you can access it from Clover GUI in case you need it (you can name it whatever you want, but it needs to contain the "config" part).

And could you please, check the option to Inject System ID in your config's System Parameters section?

879216540_ScreenShot2018-09-21at14_33_28.png.181605ccc7d899f35d6eb4ea185ec040.png

Otherwise, config looks ok.

Edited by arsradu