[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, jerryy2 said:

Did you do anything special when changing SMBIOS definitions to keep from having problems with Messages and / or FaceTime?

Well, you can keep the relevant serials for iMessage (MLB & ROM) in place, or get new ones for the new SMBIOS.

Edited by arsradu

On 9/21/2018 at 5:03 PM, arsradu said:

Strange. This issue should not occur with the iGPU (and it didn't in my case). I know this is your first post, and I welcome you to this forum, but I'm gonna ask you to add your hardware information to your signature to see what we're dealing with. I can see you're using a Haswell system. But still, it would be nice to know a little more than that. :)

If your WhateverGreen kext is up to date (as it should be), you shouldn't need IntelGraphicsFixup kext anymore since it's already included into WEG. Could you try to remove it (or move it to Desktop, so you can put it back in case of anything) and try again?

About the config, I would strongly recommend you to always remove serial numbers from SMBIOS and RT Variables before uploading your config (or the entire EFI) for analysis.

Also, could you try iMac14,2 for once and see if it makes any difference? You can simply make a copy of your current config.plist, edit it, and rename the old one for iMac13,3 to configiMac13,3.plist or something, so you can access it from Clover GUI in case you need it (you can name it whatever you want, but it needs to contain the "config" part).

And could you please, check the option to Inject System ID in your config's System Parameters section?

879216540_ScreenShot2018-09-21at14_33_28.png.181605ccc7d899f35d6eb4ea185ec040.png

Otherwise, config looks ok.

Thank you for your response. 

I have tried your suggestions, removed IntelGraphicsFixup kext which I added just to experiment for the solution. Moreover, I tried changing SMBIOS to iMac14,2 and also Inject System ID but the problem is still there. 

I added my signature to give you more detail about my system. I have DP and VGA onboard on my system and the LCD is connected to Display Port. 

Thanks

Bhaggu

43 minutes ago, bhaggu said:

Thank you for your response. 

I have tried your suggestions, removed IntelGraphicsFixup kext which I added just to experiment for the solution. Moreover, I tried changing SMBIOS to iMac14,2 and also Inject System ID but the problem is still there. 

I added my signature to give you more detail about my system. I have DP and VGA onboard on my system and the LCD is connected to Display Port. 

Thanks

Bhaggu

That motherboard is not looking good. I remember you said you don't use a dedicated graphics card, so, you can't switch to that, but can you share the video options you've got and their status (enabled/disabled etc) from your BIOS? Screenshots would be even better.

Config-wise, it looks good to me. So...I'm afraid all of this might go down to motherboard and BIOS.

I never liked these pre-built systems. They put all kinds of c**p in them.

Edited by arsradu

On 9/24/2018 at 11:20 AM, arsradu said:

That motherboard is not looking good. I remember you said you don't use a dedicated graphics card, so, you can't switch to that, but can you share the video options you've got and their status (enabled/disabled etc) from your BIOS? Screenshots would be even better.

Config-wise, it looks good to me. So...I'm afraid all of this might go down to motherboard and BIOS.

I never liked these pre-built systems. They put all kinds of c**p in them.

I have two option in Video Auto and Intel, I have tried both but no luck. 

EDIT: Updated to Final release but still same issue. :(

IMG_20180924_170828.jpg

Edited by bhaggu

Hey all,

I've got this problem as well, and obviously would like to get it fixed. ...i gotta apologise up front, because I'm pretty new to the whole configuring clover stuff, so no nada about how to do anything really, except use clover config to mount EFI for me lol.

I'm on a Asus Maximus VIII (series 100 board), with i5-6600 and MSI ati vega 56 card

I've just done a fresh install of mojave following Maladon's guide on olaria - and right now using their standard clover package for 100 series boards from https://olarila.com/files/Clover.Folder/CLOVER.SERIES.100.200.300.zip

Right now all my hardware seems to be working ok, except it's not 100% as my PCI list in system info says I've got no PCI cards installed lol.

So is the best option to simply set my SMBIOS to match the closest apple machine by GPU (as the first post said) - which for me looks to be iMac Pro?

...and if so, how do you do that with CC?  (sorry I'm new, so don't know CC at all, and don't have a clue where/how to do it, or how to find out what string is right for that)

...or should I enable the iGPU?  (I've never used, I'm guessing my cpu has one lol)

thanks all - and sorry for the newbie questions!

4 hours ago, yahbai said:

Hey all,

I've got this problem as well, and obviously would like to get it fixed. ...i gotta apologise up front, because I'm pretty new to the whole configuring clover stuff, so no nada about how to do anything really, except use clover config to mount EFI for me lol.

I'm on a Asus Maximus VIII (series 100 board), with i5-6600 and MSI ati vega 56 card

I've just done a fresh install of mojave following Maladon's guide on olaria - and right now using their standard clover package for 100 series boards from https://olarila.com/files/Clover.Folder/CLOVER.SERIES.100.200.300.zip

Right now all my hardware seems to be working ok, except it's not 100% as my PCI list in system info says I've got no PCI cards installed lol.

So is the best option to simply set my SMBIOS to match the closest apple machine by GPU (as the first post said) - which for me looks to be iMac Pro?

...and if so, how do you do that with CC?  (sorry I'm new, so don't know CC at all, and don't have a clue where/how to do it, or how to find out what string is right for that)

...or should I enable the iGPU?  (I've never used, I'm guessing my cpu has one lol)

thanks all - and sorry for the newbie questions!

Hey all - got this fixed.

In case anyone else with the same problem on a MSI Maximus VIII using and ATI video card (or likely any Maximus card):

The fix is to enable the integrated graphics in the bios (that's all).

- In the bios, go to the Advanced tab, then the System Agent Configuration, then Graphics Configuration

- then enable iGPU Multi-monitor (ie enable the iGPU)

- make sure that above that you still set the primary monitor to "PEG" (ie to use the video card as what's connected to the monitor).  you might be able to leave this as "auto", and have it detect which a monitor is connected to, but I didn't try that.

@yahbai Hello and welcome to the forum.

For future posts, I would like to ask you a few things:

1. always read the first post of the thread before posting in that tread. I would also recommend that you read a few posts before yours just in case there's a new issue and other people are having it too.

2. don't quote your own post. :)). You can use the Edit button on the original post and add the missing/updated information.

3. add your hardware information to your signature. Believe me. It helps a lot.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

@yahbai Hello and welcome to the forum.

For future posts, I would like to ask you a few things:

1. always read the first post of the thread before posting in that tread. I would also recommend that you read a few posts before yours just in case there's a new issue and other people are having it too.

2. don't quote your own post. :)). You can use the Edit button on the original post and add the missing/updated information.

3. add your hardware information to your signature. Believe me. It helps a lot.

will do!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daeron666 said:

Hi guys, I followed the guide but something didn't work.

I see the 2 vga but still have problems with preview, and now it takes a loooong time to boot.

Can you help me?

My config MSI Tomahawk Z270, 7700k, R9 270X.

Schermata 2018-09-27 alle 12.46.45.png

I'm not an expert in AMD cards... Maybe @Cyberdevs can have a better insight on that. BUT I'm not sure you're supposed to inject both Intel and ATI in your config. Also, please, remove the serial numbers in SMBIOS and RT Variables when uploading a config.plist for analysis.

Also, which method did you try? I think you need to try the alternative medicine one. :)) 

For MSI motherboards (I've got one...so there might be some similarities)...I think you should have an option to switch from PEG to IGD in BIOS, under Advanced Settings or something like that (I'm not on my computer right now, so don't know for sure). You should probably try both (probably IGD first), while being connected to the dedicated GPU (the R9 card).

It was already confirmed to work, and your motherboard seems mainstream enough, so it should be fixable. :)

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, daeron666 said:

Hi guys, I followed the guide but something didn't work.

I see the 2 vga but still have problems with preview, and now it takes a loooong time to boot.

Can you help me?

My config MSI Tomahawk Z270, 7700k, R9 270X.

config.plist

You see two GPUs because you inject both AMD and Intel GPUs in your config.plist you don't need to inject any of them, Mojave will detect the iGPU automatically and the R9 270x doesn't need to be injected as well.

Remove all those injections and try again, make sure that you have a working backup of your existing EFI before making any changes to your current setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

You see two GPUs because you inject both AMD and Intel GPUs in your config.plist you don't need to inject any of them, Mojave will detect the iGPU automatically and the R9 270x doesn't need to be injected as well.

Remove all those injections and try again, make sure that you have a working backup of your existing EFI before making any changes to your current setting.

Damn, that was some fast summoning. :))) Many, many thanks for your feedback! This thread just wouldn't be the same without it.

• Like 1

Just now, arsradu said:

Damn, that was some fast summoning. :))) Many, many thanks for your feedback! This thread just wouldn't be the same without it.

Actually I was typing my response at the same time as you posted yours :D

Thanks to you my friend for creating this topic in the first place which is going to help lots of people specially now that the Mojave is released :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers mate :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Don't get it. Your guide on the first page says; InjectIntel+ig-platform-id. I am using this guide since beta1 is this method changed?

But I didnt inject ATI just injectIntel+ig-platform-id and IGPU activated on BIOS primary is discrete GPU.

Edited by telepati

1 minute ago, telepati said:

Don't get it. Your guide on the first page says; InjectIntel+ig-platform-id is these changed?

If using those instructions isn't gonna result in a desired out come we can change the setting to see if that helps with the problem.

With the new versions of macOS Mojave the need for injection ig-platform-id is not needed anymore because macOS detects the iGPU automatically.

And for R9 270X has native support in Mac OS X and macOS and there's no need to inject the related settings. Just to clarify thing a little bit more when I discovered this workaround I was testing the early versions of macOS Mojave and a lot has changed since.

• Like 1

Another addition:

When you use InjectIntel+ig-platform-id macOS will detect the iGPU as Intel HD 530/630 etc. (on Skylake/KabyLake and so fort with other Intel integrated GPUs) and if we don't inject the Intel related values macOS will load the default framebuffer for those GPUs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

I'm not an expert in AMD cards... Maybe @Cyberdevs can have a better insight on that. BUT I'm not sure you're supposed to inject both Intel and ATI in your config. Also, please, remove the serial numbers in SMBIOS and RT Variables when uploading a config.plist for analysis.

Also, which method did you try? I think you need to try the alternative medicine one. :)) 

For MSI motherboards (I've got one...so there might be some similarities)...I think you should have an option to switch from PEG to IGD in BIOS, under Advanced Settings or something like that (I'm not on my computer right now, so don't know for sure). You should probably try both (probably IGD first), while being connected to the dedicated GPU (the R9 card).

It was already confirmed to work, and your motherboard seems mainstream enough, so it should be fixable. :)

I tried but nothing changed. 

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

If using those instructions isn't gonna result in a desired out come we can change the setting to see if that helps with the problem.

With the new versions of macOS Mojave the need for injection ig-platform-id is not needed anymore because macOS detects the iGPU automatically.

I didn't know that.

58 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Another addition:

When you use InjectIntel+ig-platform-id macOS will detect the iGPU as Intel HD 530/630 etc. (on Skylake/KabyLake and so fort with other Intel integrated GPUs) and if we don't inject the Intel related values macOS will load the default framebuffer for those GPUs

Then no need to injectIntel and adding ig-platform-id, just activate IGPU and set to primary discrete card will solve the preview problem? 

Edit: I test it and it worked. I removed InjectIntel and ig-platform-id from config.plist. Preview working and SKL looks loaded.

1863470359_ScreenShot2018-09-27at15_35_53.png.3ff3a3584f7f722099fc043ff706e68c.png

Edited by telepati

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

Otherwise it recognize as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx (even with inject ATI).

Please help me....

Added new modified config.plist

config.plist

Edited by daeron666

Hi,

Here is my config :

MB Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3.1 without iGPU.

GPU is a Nvidia GT710 (A GT210 by the past, before Mojave).

Clover 4674.

I'm experiencing the same "JPG quick look issue".

Everything else works perfectly with this configuration that I've always used since OSX Lion (except for the recently installed GT710 for Mojave).

I never used Lilu and Watevergreen. Just installed this 2 kexts but still the problem. Is there particulars parameters to use with them ?379955718_Capturedcran2018-09-2715_09_46.png.e1be78c79944161609aeae196a8cbd59.png

config.plist

Edited by d.o.n.g.h.w.a.n

1 hour ago, daeron666 said:

Otherwise it recognize as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx (even with inject ATI).

Please help me....

Added new modified config.plist

config.plist

Changing the AMD Radeon HD 7xxx to AMD Radeon HD 270X is cosmetic it has no effect on the performance, there are several fixes for that and the easies one is to use WhateverGreen+lilu. It will help macOS to detect the correct framebuffer for your AMD GPU and it also fixes the incorrect AMD GPU detection along with the fix for the preview and quick look.

You can also use the clover's Kernel and Kext Patches to fix 7xxx . What I suggest is to trying to fix the preview and quick look issue first and once it's fixed we can fix other issues.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, daeron666 said:

Now preview works, but I see only radeon hd 7xxx.

For best performance should I see the hd630 too? 

I see on cinebench now my score is 110, with high sierra it was 130...

Post the whole EFI folder and I'll take a look.

The 20 points drop in cinebench score is not usual unless the iGPU is totally disabled which can explain the performance drop.

Add this under the Kernel and Kext Patches

name: com.apple.kext.AMD7000Controller

find: 37787878

replace: 32373058

comment: The 7xxx fix is: Change 7xxx to 270X