[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

It does in my case.  But it also depends which SMBIOS are you using.

If you went the iMacPro/MacPro route to fix this, since those don't have iGPUs, they will also not display it in that section. If you went with something like the iMac14,2 which does have an iGPU, it should show up here, if everything is properly set up in Clover config.

Yeah everything is setup properly and ummm using imac17,1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Yeah everything is setup properly and ummm using imac17,1

Can you upload the config (without the private stuff)? I can take a look, if you want.

Anyway, this is just a cosmetic issue. I will also check my personal setup when I get home. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it doesn't show up in my case, either. But I remember seeing it there... 

Anyway, for as far as I remember, you need InjectIntel and the correct ig-platform-id, in order for the iGPU to show up there. Also, I think you might need WEG kext, as well. Not sure about that though. Since I think WEG is trying to force a specific ig-platform-id on its own. So..might not be related.

But you do need to set up InjectIntel and ig-platform-id in your config.

EDIT:

@SavageAUS Looks like it is properly displayed in my case. :) So...yeah, I'd say probably the config needs a bit more tweaking.

696798399_Screenshot2018-12-19at23_09_06.thumb.png.8236f27c9579dfe99a144b76be5a0b5c.png

1965952847_Screenshot2018-12-19at23_09_14.thumb.png.133796af0910cb356cf08f7627f1f8d8.png

Edited by arsradu

Can you upload the config (without the private stuff)? I can take a look, if you want.

Anyway, this is just a cosmetic issue. I will also check my personal setup when I get home. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it doesn't show up in my case, either. But I remember seeing it there... 

Anyway, for as far as I remember, you need InjectIntel and the correct ig-platform-id, in order for the iGPU to show up there. Also, I think you might need WEG kext, as well. Not sure about that though. Since I think WEG is trying to force a specific ig-platform-id on its own. So..might not be related.

But you do need to set up InjectIntel and ig-platform-id in your config.

EDIT:

[mention=1083558]SavageAUS[/mention] Looks like it is properly displayed in my case.  So...yeah, I'd say probably the config needs a bit more tweaking.

696798399_Screenshot2018-12-19at23_09_06.thumb.png.8236f27c9579dfe99a144b76be5a0b5c.png
1965952847_Screenshot2018-12-19at23_09_14.thumb.png.133796af0910cb356cf08f7627f1f8d8.png

I don’t use ig-platform-id or inject intel because I went down the “devices” path with Whatevergreen, but I do have the correct device id set for that. Take a look at intel framebuffer patching with Whatevergreen topic. I do remember seeing it there previously but I reset my bios to try and fix time issues and now it’s gone so maybe I’ll recheck bios settings.

Then maybe all you need is Inject Intel...? I don't know. I'm just saying.

I've never tried that method before. But in my experience, if you're only using WEG, it will not get you that iGPU information there. Of course, our hardwares are different and as you said above, you tried a slightly different approach with this. So...results might be different, as well. default_smile.png

5 hours ago, arsradu said:

Then maybe all you need is Inject Intel...? I don't know. I'm just saying.

I've never tried that method before. But in my experience, if you're only using WEG, it will not get you that iGPU information there. Of course, our hardwares are different and as you said above, you tried a slightly different approach with this. So...results might be different, as well. default_smile.png

This is my config. Quicklook and preview both work.

config.plist

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 2.23.07 pm.png

Hardware_Info_V2018-11-13.zip

Edited by SavageAUS

7 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

This is my config. Quicklook and preview both work.

config.plist

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 2.23.07 pm.png

Hardware_Info_V2018-11-13.zip

Not sure what you meant by Devices....cause I couldn't find any specific FakeID set there.

Screenshot_2018-12-20_at_12_48_53.thumb.png.86a1ad3f14210a410f4c0e904c4b57af.png

Anyway, I managed to get it working on a Skylake build, as well. Motherboard: GA-Z170-Gaming K3, CPU: 6600K, iGPU: Intel Graphics HD 530, dGPU: GTX 650 OC 2GB. iMac17,1 SMBIOS.

In BIOS, I set these things:

1. Peripherals -> Initial Display Output -> iGFX
  2. Chipset -> Internal Graphics -> Enabled
         DVMT Pre-Allocation -> default 64M.
         DVMT Total Gfx Mem -> default 256M
  3. Save
  4. Reboot

In Clover config, I set these things:

101152012_Screenshot2018-12-20at12_45_27.thumb.png.57260e76c6d52e732c852e2cbfaac447.png

Aaaand....TA-DAAA!

I'll let you judge the result for yourself. :)

Screenshot_2018-12-20_at_12_41_52.png.fc92e1c54948a191becccd7bbef9f677.png

Oh, forgot to mention: QuickLook and Preview work, as well.

Edited by arsradu

Not sure what you meant by Devices....cause I couldn't find any specific FakeID set there.
Screenshot_2018-12-20_at_12_48_53.thumb.png.86a1ad3f14210a410f4c0e904c4b57af.png

Anyway, I managed to get it working on a Skylake build, as well. Motherboard: GA-Z170-Gaming K3, CPU: 6600K, iGPU: Intel Graphics HD 530, dGPU: GTX 650 OC 2GB. iMac17,1 SMBIOS.

In BIOS, I set these things:
  1. Peripherals -> Initial Display Output -> iGFX
  2. Chipset -> Internal Graphics -> Enabled
         DVMT Pre-Allocation -> default 64M.
         DVMT Total Gfx Mem -> default 256M
  3. Save
  4. Reboot

In Clover config, I set these things:

101152012_Screenshot2018-12-20at12_45_27.thumb.png.57260e76c6d52e732c852e2cbfaac447.png

Aaaand....TA-DAAA!

I'll let you judge the result for yourself.

Screenshot_2018-12-20_at_12_41_52.png.fc92e1c54948a191becccd7bbef9f677.png

Oh, forgot to mention: QuickLook and Preview work, as well.

On that screenshot you posted of devices you have arbitrary highlighted at the bottom, if you select properties you will see where it’s set.

25 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

On that screenshot you posted of devices you have arbitrary highlighted at the bottom, if you select properties you will see where it’s set.

You mean this?

If so, I don't know... Never used this method before. But...doesn't seem to work for what you're trying to accomplish.

1054541528_Screenshot2018-12-20at23_24_00.thumb.png.845d7ab2ff1fc590a7ad281d60ce163d.png

Also, I think I'm probably missing something here, but isn't Layout ID used for analog audio...? What does that have to do with the iGPU?

Anyway... You have an alternative method in my previous post, which I'm pretty sure it will work since both builds are using the exact same iGPU, if you wanna give it a try. :) I'd love to hear your results.

Edited by arsradu

13 minutes ago, arsradu said:

You mean this?

If so, I don't know... Never used this method before. But...doesn't seem to work for what you're trying to accomplish.

1054541528_Screenshot2018-12-20at23_24_00.thumb.png.845d7ab2ff1fc590a7ad281d60ce163d.png

Also, I think I'm probably missing something here, but isn't Layout ID used for analog audio...? What does that have to do with the iGPU?

Anyway... You have an alternative method in my previous post, which I'm pretty sure it will work since both builds are using the exact same iGPU, if you wanna give it a try. :) I'd love to hear your results.

This one is Audio yes

613552665_ScreenShot2018-12-21at8_08_44am.png.b313e95460da56afc200ccf1e7670cbb.png

But this one is iGPU

256349958_ScreenShot2018-12-21at8_08_39am.png.b7e5218c8312a54e82fb9bbd868868cb.png

Wait, i see the problem, spelling mistake in platform.

Edited by SavageAUS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SavageAUS said:

Just fixed it and it still isn't showing up in system report.

Doesn't matter, it's working.

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 8.18.55 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 8.19.30 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 8.20.19 am.png

As I mentioned before, you might want to add Inject Intel, as well, to your Clover config. In my experience, it will not show up without it. :) 

Anyway, I'm glad it works. :) 

As I mentioned before, you might want to add Inject Intel, as well, to your Clover config. In my experience, it will not show up without it.  

Anyway, I'm glad it works.  

Yeah I’ll give it a try after work but the framebuffer guide says to make sure you have that unchecked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Yeah I’ll give it a try after work but the framebuffer guide says to make sure you have that unchecked.

I see....well...as you could see in my screenshots above, on the same iGPU, it showed up properly, I had no issues with it...so...not sure what to say :))) 

I guess there's only one way to find out. Anyway...this is a small cosmetic issue. And of course, anyone would choose performance over it. But I just didn't happen to notice any issues in my tests today. So...personally I'd suggest giving it a try. If it works, YEY. If it doesn't, well, explore other options. :)) But my experience with it today was good so...I think you should be fine. :) 

Edited by arsradu

First off, wanted to thank everyone for the plethora of info on this thread. I was having the same issue where Quicklook / Preview did not work with JPEG files. I was not able to successfully enable IGPU in BIOS but the NoVPAJpeg Kext fixed it right up.  

On another thread people with the same MOBO as me were able to enable IGPU in BIOS without any issues however when I enable IGPU in BIOS, my boot hangs at "Start ReadKernalCache" (screenshot attached). Was wonder if anyone here had any suggestions. I'm happy that my system is working 100% now but the troubleshooter in me is still curious about that IGPU BIOS snag. We tried all sorts of fixes to get IGPU working like fresh installs, various kexts, various SSDT's, rebuilding cache, etc. Figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had any fresh ideas.

System:

Vanilla Mojave 10.14.2
Intel i9-9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Designare MOBO - BIOS F4
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3200 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD (Main OS Drive)
Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB M.2 SSD

Thanks! 

IMG_5921.jpg

On 12/28/2018 at 3:59 AM, NoiseCoalition said:

First off, wanted to thank everyone for the plethora of info on this thread. I was having the same issue where Quicklook / Preview did not work with JPEG files. I was not able to successfully enable IGPU in BIOS but the NoVPAJpeg Kext fixed it right up.  

On another thread people with the same MOBO as me were able to enable IGPU in BIOS without any issues however when I enable IGPU in BIOS, my boot hangs at "Start ReadKernalCache" (screenshot attached). Was wonder if anyone here had any suggestions. I'm happy that my system is working 100% now but the troubleshooter in me is still curious about that IGPU BIOS snag. We tried all sorts of fixes to get IGPU working like fresh installs, various kexts, various SSDT's, rebuilding cache, etc. Figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had any fresh ideas.

System:

Vanilla Mojave 10.14.2
Intel i9-9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Designare MOBO - BIOS F4
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3200 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD (Main OS Drive)
Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB M.2 SSD

Thanks!

Hmm...never seen that before. BUT I'm thinking the config.plist might bring some light into this.

So, if you could, I'd say remove the serials from SMBIOS and RT Variables sections and upload your config.plist here for analysis (you might need to zip it).

For Gigabyte motherboards, you should follow the instructions posted on the first page to enable the iGPU. That's on the BIOS side. But you still need to set up your Clover config file. I feel like the issue might be caused by some misconfigured parameters in there.

So, as you wish. :) You can keep it this way and enjoy your system. Ooor...you can clean up the sensitive information from the sections I mentioned above (SMBIOS and RT Variables) and post the config.plist file to take a look.

Edited by arsradu

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 6:35 PM, unixb0y said:

Use what? I still have this issue :D:wallbash:

Which method did you choose to fix this issue? The iGPU needs to be enabled in BIOS. Unless you're using a MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS.

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

Which method did you choose to fix this issue? The iGPU needs to be enabled in BIOS. Unless you're using a MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS.

Hey bro, I wanted to mention that I switched my SMBIOS to iMacPro and it instantly worked. My boot process takes minutes if I activate the iGPU so that's not an option for me :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

Hey bro, I wanted to mention that I switched my SMBIOS to iMacPro and it instantly worked. My boot process takes minutes if I activate the iGPU so that's not an option for me :lol:

Hmm...that's weird... You probably have other things, as well...that drag the boot down. Such as Clover may be set to Debug. Which will make the boot up process really slow (that part is normal, though). So...you could check that.

But either way,  I'm glad you fixed it by changing SMBIOS. :) 

Edited by arsradu

2 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hmm...that's weird... You probably have other things, as well...that drag the boot down. Such as Clover may be set to Debug. Which will make the boot up process really slow (that part is normal, though). So...you could check that.

But either way,  I'm glad you fixed it by changing SMBIOS. :) 

Nope, debug is actually off and "Fast" is on :D

458773653_Screenshot2019-03-27at20_53_49.png.4b70baab9958075e65ff5fdecc174404.png

Just now, unixb0y said:

Nope, debug is actually off and "Fast" is on :D

458773653_Screenshot2019-03-27at20_53_49.png.4b70baab9958075e65ff5fdecc174404.png

Well, compared to the speed of a drunk snail on drugs, a few minutes is definitely fast. LOL

But...weird... I don't have this issue. Could be a problem with newer motherboards maybe....or could be something else related to the config... I don't know, I've never encountered this issue before, unless Debug was set to True. And even then it wasn't THAT long.

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

Well, compared to the speed of a drunk snail on drugs, a few minutes is definitely fast. LOL

But...weird... I don't have this issue. Could be a problem with newer motherboards maybe....or could be something else related to the config... I don't know, I've never encountered this issue before, unless Debug was set to True. And even then it wasn't THAT long.

:lol: 

That's possible, I don't know! Mine is Z370, pretty common.