macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E202) is out

Wayang-NT

228 posts in this topic

All good here.  Although the install partition had to be run twice from Clover, could be normal for this update.  nVidia driver updated to 387...30.103 ok; although I unfortunately got the persistent CUDA update required even after updating (and of course the preference pane had the update button ghosted out).  So I removed that manually and will maybe wait for another CUDA update and try again later.

Doesn't look like High Sierra has drivers that support Fermi cards. So probably not.

Yeah, Fermi cards seems to be complicated to get them working in mac.

Now I'm looking at Sapphire Radeon R7 250X 1GB DDR5.

From what I'd read WhateverGreen is sufficient to get it working, but I'm not sure if it's working fine without iGPU, can anyone confirm?

clover r4421 is working for 10.13.4 usb installer. don't worry

i tested all(usb installer, installed macos(old, modern) on 4230s(all macos machine)

this screenshot is after clean install from 10.13.4 usb installer that made create media install from appstore

5abfffad4d3ef_2018-04-016_31_49.thumb.png.30be0e8b233702db0a8f44da3fdb4593.png

Edited by Sherlocks
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, LuCyr04 said:

Yeah, Fermi cards seems to be complicated to get them working in mac.

Now I'm looking at Sapphire Radeon R7 250X 1GB DDR5.

From what I'd read WhateverGreen is sufficient to get it working, but I'm not sure if it's working fine without iGPU, can anyone confirm?

The device id for Radeon R7 250X is 683D and it is present in the AMD7000Controller and should work without an issue.

• Thanks 1

The device id for Radeon R7 250X is 683D and it is present in the AMD7000Controller and should work without an issue.
Even without iGPU(helper card)?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, LuCyr04 said:

Even without iGPU(helper card)?

No I believe it will need the helper card OR RadeonDeInit OR WhateverGreen otherwise it will end up in the black screen with all macOS versions prior to 10.13.4, with the macOS 10.13.4 the black screen issue seems to be resolved on so many AMD GPUs and I guess R7 250X is no exception.

If you are looking for an AMD GPU without any issues you should get your hands on a R9 270X or R9 280X. There are few other AMD GPUs which work with no issue at all. (5770, 5850, 5870, 7850, 7870, 7950, 7970, R9 270X, R9 280X and Vega 56/64)

But yet again all AMD GPUs should be working without the black screen issue with 10.13.4 (My RX580 does but I haven't tested my other AMD GPUs yet)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cyberdevs said:

No I believe it will need the helper card OR RadeonDeInit OR WhateverGreen otherwise it will end up in the black screen with all macOS versions prior to 10.13.4, with the macOS 10.13.4 the black screen issue seems to be resolved on so many AMD GPUs and I guess R7 250X is no exception.

If you are looking for an AMD GPU without any issues you should get your hands on a R9 270X or R9 280X. There are few other AMD GPUs which work with no issue at all. (5770, 5850, 5870, 7850, 7870, 7950, 7970, R9 270X, R9 280X and Vega 56/64)

But yet again all AMD GPUs should be working without the black screen issue with 10.13.4 (My RX580 does but I haven't tested my other AMD GPUs yet)

I'm using 10.13.4 anyway, and if isn't working I can put WhateverGreen, but I don't have iGPU, so if it's working with WhateverGreen then it's perfect for me.

Btw R7 250x supports metal?

1 minute ago, LuCyr04 said:

I'm using 10.13.4 anyway, and if isn't working I can put WhateverGreen, but I don't have iGPU, so if it's working with WhateverGreen then it's perfect for me.

It depends on the mainboard and the CPU, I never had a chance of installing macOS High Sierra on my oldest rig which has a Core 2 Duo E8400/GA-EP45-DS3R it would end up in a black screen even with a helper card and the WhateverGreen.

I believe the R7 250X should support Metal my 7790 does and I don't see a reason that why R7 250X shouldn't be able to support it.

But don't take my word for it, do a little bit more digging and hopefully it will confirm my hypothesis. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lilins said:

personnaly can't update, forever end up on this

IMG_7525.jpg

translation:

macOS can't be installed on your computer

installer resources can't be found

quit install program and restart then try again

This happens on REAL Macs too, that are partitioned. (In our case Apple CTO 500gb SSD's).

Happened to me with a few iMacs with internal SSD's that were 'split' into two, I had Sierra 10.12.6 on one 'side', and then ran HS to the other side/partition, and bam, boot loop.

Idea is to have a "instant fall back" to previous install, which worked fine from 10.10x to 10.12x

Edited by 13parsecs
Typos

It depends on the SMBIOS model and what device id and revision id the GPU has. Almost all of the cards mentioned working OOB are either in real macs or were available to upgrade to put into a mac pro. Also depends on having correct injected values for some other models. Since there is almost one of every achitecture/framebuffer in macs for almost all AMD GPUs, this means that most should work with no to slight modifications. Meaning you need to use WhateverGreen to inject the correct properties and initialize the framebuffer properly. You really should use WhateverGreen anyway, don't think clover injection is really up to par with it because really it's not within the scope of the boot loader to do this. Clover should only be making the adjustments to firmware to create an valid macOS environment, drivers should make devices work in the OS, like they always have, lol.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Clover v4421.  I have no idea what it is but my default boot is the recovery partition and I know its set correctly in the Clover config file to boot to the MacOS drive.  Nothing changed  in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Maybe delete that partition and re-install recovery?  Can this been done in terminal because Disk Utility v13 for macOS Sierra broken in 10.13.4.

Edited:

I don't know why or when a logical volume gets created, and has happened to me so many times and I still cannot figure out the pattern.  I thought it was because of Disk Utility v13 for macOS Sierra but now I can say for sure its not because of that because its not working in 10.13.4.

Anyhow the issue was a logical volume was created.  I just boot into my USB installer went into terminal and ran "diskutil cs revert "uuid" of the core storage volume and everything is back to normal.

Edited by oSxFr33k
Issue Resolved

6 hours ago, oSxFr33k said:

Thanks for posting Clover v4421.  I have no idea what it is but my default boot is the recovery partition and I know its set correctly in the Clover config file to boot to the MacOS drive.  Nothing changed  in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Maybe delete that partition and re-install recovery?  Can this been done in terminal because Disk Utility v13 for macOS Sierra broken in 10.13.4.

Edited:

I don't know why or when a logical volume gets created, and has happened to me so many times and I still cannot figure out the pattern.  I thought it was because of Disk Utility v13 for macOS Sierra but now I can say for sure its not because of that because its not working in 10.13.4.

Anyhow the issue was a logical volume was created.  I just boot into my USB installer went into terminal and ran "diskutil cs revert "uuid" of the core storage volume and everything is back to normal.

Logical volumes can be one of two things, you either have a hybrid MBR and it's creating extended partitions to map GPT partitions, which is very wasteful and causes issues. Or it's creating a core storage volume because of some choice you made, like selecting APFS as the partition format.

[mention=749318]apianti[/mention] [mention=1686297]13parsecs[/mention] Thanks. in the end i tried everything even making a full new usb stick installer, but it won't find the stick in question default_smile.png i think 10.13.4 is not for me for now. i'll wait.

I also created a usb of 10.13.4 and it wouldn't show in clover until I created the hidden .IABootfiles folder and copied boot.efi into it then it worked. Installed flawlessly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk Pro

On 1.4.2018 at 10:31 AM, LuCyr04 said:

Here works since 10.13.4 an AMD HD7770 with the 683D device-id without the green kext, no IGPU and no injection, but as usual with the Verde cards you must disable the "GfxCGPowerGating" properties.

The R7 250X is probably a renamed HD 7770 and should work the same way.

Edited by wern apfel
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wern apfel said:

Here works since 10.13.4 an AMD HD7770 with the 683D device-id without the green kext, no IGPU and no injection, but as usual with the Verde cards you must disable the "GfxCGPowerGating" properties.

The R7 250X is probably a renamed HD 7770 and should work the same way.

Yep, it's HD 7770, thanks for the info, but sorry, can you explain or link me to a topic: how to disable GfxCGPowerGating :D

I'll receive the card tomorrow or Wednesday, I already removed my old nvidia from dsdt, I want to change the card without much hassle :D