[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

Guest ricoc90
41 minutes ago, CairoC said:

last thing I need to get my Audio working and that's it

What is your system and macOS version?

Guest ricoc90
5 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

@chris1111    @ricoc90

My Optiplex 780 with GT710 worked with 10.15 DP3 without problems.
After installing DP4 I have Blackscreen. Connection is HDMI.
Do you have ideas?

Maybe a bug. In my case HDMI does work, but with lots of artifacts (screen flickering, lots of distortion).
About This Mac does not see the monitor. I also don't have h.264 on the GT 710

11 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

@chris1111    @ricoc90

My Optiplex 780 with GT710 worked with 10.15 DP3 without problems.
After installing DP4 I have Blackscreen. Connection is HDMI.
Do you have ideas?

I am on Beta 4 no issue on HDMI with Gigabyte GeForce 710 ASUS Monitor

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 8:08 AM, MacPeet said:

Good news. My Optiplex780 + GT710 works again with DP5.
It was probably a bug in DP4.

Hi Macpeet,

Could you test something for me. I have come across an annoying issue on my Dell 780 where it does not shutdown correctly. The PC is the exact same spec as your 760 running 10.14.6. When I request a shut down, The screen turns off but the pc remains on with the fan active. Would you compare my config.plist to yours and let me know of any suggestions you may have.

config.plist

• 4 weeks later...

Dell Optiplex 780, 760, 755 etc got integrated VGA onboard graphic card...

I am wondering why everyone using dedicated graphic cards?

1st thing:

I installed today my first Hackintosh (with some help) on Dell Optiplex 755, OS X El Capitan. Everything went just smootly. All ports (USB, audio) works just great.
One problem - I have notice, that video performance is poor . I am not going to play games, just browse the network (simple not demanding tasks).

After I've installed chrome/firefox the video starts to froze/suttering. I can really see the darker (almost grey) square around of mouse coursor. Is there any way to impprove the video quality?

Now, using integrated card, chipset Q35, Intel DMA 3100
Some other specs: Core2Duo E6550
RAM Memory: 5GB (2x2GB + 2x512MB)

2nd thing:

During boot I'm using USB Stick with preinstalled image of Clover and OS X El Capitan. I left one partition and ~500MB to install boot launcher, but I dont know how to do this and what kidnd of kext's should I use (this same from Clover's USB Stick?).

I will be grateful for explanation how to do that (some links may help).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chris

7 minutes ago, radarek said:

Dell Optiplex 780, 760, 755 etc got integrated VGA onboard graphic card...

I am wondering why everyone using dedicated graphic cards?

1st thing:

I installed today my first Hackintosh (with some help) on Dell Optiplex 755, OS X El Capitan. Everything went just smootly. All ports (USB, audio) works just great.
One problem - I have notice, that video performance is poor . I am not going to play games, just browse the network (simple not demanding tasks).

After I've installed chrome/firefox the video starts to froze/suttering. I can really see the darker (almost grey) square around of mouse coursor. Is there any way to impprove the video quality?

Now, using integrated card, chipset Q35, Intel DMA 3100
Some other specs: Core2Duo E6550
RAM Memory: 5GB (2x2GB + 2x512MB)

2nd thing:

During boot I'm using USB Stick with preinstalled image of Clover and OS X El Capitan. I left one partition and ~500MB to install boot launcher, but I dont know how to do this and what kidnd of kext's should I use (this same from Clover's USB Stick?).

I will be grateful for explanation how to do that (some links may help).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chris

OS X El Capitan on Dell optiplex 755 you can Bying a graphics card like the ATI Radeon HD 5450 low profile

See first post point NO 6. Important preparation with HD5450 (780/760/755)

Intel GMA is not support on macOS since macOS X 10.7

Edited by chris1111
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, morpheousman said:

@chris1111

Is there anything I need to know about before I update my Optiplex 790, GT710, to Catalina?

You need to know  the Disk is read only file System if you need to read write the disk you need some command to do this

3 hours ago, chris1111 said:

You need to know  the Disk is read only file System if you need to read write the disk you need some command to do this

Okay, so operating system is on separate read only APFS volume. What does that mean for hackintosh? Will all kexts need to be injected? Or any changes to system volume will require a separate command line command?

Edited by morpheousman

8 hours ago, morpheousman said:

Okay, so operating system is on separate read only APFS volume. What does that mean for hackintosh? Will all kexts need to be injected? Or any changes to system volume will require a separate command line command?

No but if you Install kext you need read-write disk and SIP Disable

This is the command for make the DISK read and write

each command follow by Enter

sudo mount -uw /

killall Finder

Edited by chris1111

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Optiplex 780: C2Q Q9400@2,66GHz, 16GB RAM DDR3, Gigsbyte GeForce GT710 2GB. Since my system is dual core, I had to run the mojave2core patch every time I installed a Mojave update, to apply the telemetry patch. Is this needed for Catalina as well? Is there a new patch script that I should use?

Thank you in advance

19 minutes ago, ernani said:

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Optiplex 780: C2Q Q9400@2,66GHz, 16GB RAM DDR3, Gigsbyte GeForce GT710 2GB. Since my system is dual core, I had to run the mojave2core patch every time I installed a Mojave update, to apply the telemetry patch. Is this needed for Catalina as well? Is there a new patch script that I should use?

Thank you in advance

The Q9400 is QUAD Core. Should work OOTB

39 minutes ago, STLVNUB said:

The Q9400 is QUAD Core. Should work OOTB

My bad. What I meant is that it lacks the SSE4.2 instruction set, forcing 10.14.x and greater into reboot loop, unless you patch the com.apple.telemetry.plugin (or copy it over from a High Sierra installation). Since posting my question I found forum posts mentioning that simply deleting this file from /Volumes/MacOSX/System/Library/UserEventPlugins does the trick. Has anybody upgraded to Catalina with my configuration and is able to verify it please?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Deleting com.apple.telemetry.plugin is enough for Catalina.
The 780 with GT710 worked very well with Catalina in the first beta. Since the last updates problems with Blackscreen with under SMBIOS iMac10,1.
With SMBIOS iMac13,1 I have picture, but without acceleration.
I do not have a solution yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a Optiplex 790 working well with GT710 on 10.15 only issues I have at the moment are:

AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: P0P1

Sound, I am using a USB sound card as could not get the AppleAlc with Lilu, am I doing something wrong or should I jus stick with the usb audio as it is working?

The light for the on switch keep showing on and off when the machine is a sleep.

Any pointer on how I can try and fix the above please. My clover folder is attached.

Thank you

CLOVER.zip