[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, billg66 said:

I don't know if I'm asking in the wrong place or what... but if ANYONE would be kind enough to respond... I went ahead and tried to do a clean install (after backing up my system). I get through the first install sequence from the Install stick, then I select Install MacOS from [system SSD] after the first reboot. Installation goes well, but after it finishes and I reboot again, I can't see the system SSD. Only the Install USB. I've done this 3 times today. Can I PLEASE get some guidance on what I might do? I've removed the drive and hooked it up to another machine, and I can see all of the system files. I even tried installing Clover directly to the system SSD, and removed the install USB... but when I did, there was NO boot option. Frustrated as all get out. Can anyone offer some advice? Please? 

dont forgot to put APFS.efi driver

Edited by chris1111

42 minutes ago, billg66 said:

Still no go. :( Thanks again for trying.

@chris1111 Was using too new a version of Clover. Went back to version 4200, and boot volume showed up. Working on the video kext rollback now... but this is further than I had gotten! Thanks again!

• Like 1

Okay, this is maddening. After successfully getting High Sierra up and running on my Optiplex 780, I followed the directions to install Clover onto the boot drive. Keep in mind the install stick had been recognizing and booting the system drive on every restart up to this point. I installed the exact same version of Clover, using the exact same Clover selections, config.plist, DSDT, and kexts as on the install stick. Then, on reboot without the install stick, Clover no longer sees the boot drive. On subsequent reboot with the install stick, it ONLY sees the install stick! What the hey???

[Edit:] I removed the drive and hooked it up to another Mac to run First Aid on the disk. First Aid said it had a bad EFI partition and said it could not repair the disk. Erased it and ran First Aid again. Said the disk was fine. So, how is simply installing clover corrupting the partition?

Edited by billg66

Ok, this is going to be my last question before I give up and just put Sierra back on the machine. I went through the installation process again. Following installation (and rolling back the video kexts), Clover recognized the boot drive, and booted me into the High Sierra setup routine. After completing the setup routine, before I tried anything else, I rebooted again to make sure Clover would recognize the drive. It did. But then boot up got hung on IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0.

I had gotten this error before, but only after I had installed Clover onto the boot drive. This time the ONLY thing that had changed was that I had completed the setup routine. Can anyone please take a look at the image below and offer me any advice for getting past this gIOScreenLockState 3 error? I'm so close, but I'm at the end of my rope on this.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

IMG_7119.JPG

Ok. I got past my gIOScreenLock 3 issue by booting into single-user mode and clearing the kext cache. Now, I can't seem to get audio to work. I've got AppleALC and Lilu in the Clover/Kexts/Other folder, and I've used the DSDT from the first post, and I've tried audio layout ID 11 and 13, but I'm not getting any speaker options. Any thoughts on what else I might try?

please share my VoodooHDA,

Kekt FILE using AppleHDA.kex doesn't work

12 hours ago, MacPeet said:

@sudirmansaid

Anda perlu memasang / mengganti AppleHDA ini dari HS ke S / L / E:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

AppleHDA yang lebih baru rusak dengan AppleALC / Lilu dan chip audio AD1984A.
Dengan AppleHDA ini Optiplex780 bekerja dengan Mojave ke Catalina.

i am using AppleHDA.kex it doesn't work any other ideas for me

@ billg66
@sonia sudarsono

sorry my mistake
this was the AppleHDA from 10.13.6

since 10.13.5 the AppleHDA for audio chip AD1984A is broken

here the AppleHDA from 10.13.4:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

install / replace this AppleHDA to S / L / E with KextUtility or another tool with rebuild cache

Lilu / AppleALC to EFI / Clover / kexts / other

layoutID 11 or layoutID 13

This method works with Mojave and Catalina.

5 hours ago, MacPeet said:

@ billg66
@sonia sudarsono

sorry my mistake
this was the AppleHDA from 10.13.6

since 10.13.5 the AppleHDA for audio chip AD1984A is broken

here the AppleHDA from 10.13.4:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

install / replace this AppleHDA to S / L / E with KextUtility or another tool with rebuild cache

Lilu / AppleALC to EFI / Clover / kexts / other

layoutID 11 or layoutID 13

This method works with Mojave and Catalina.

Thanks, @ MacPeet. I had gotten it working with a Vanilla AppleHDA.kext, now sound is working perfectly with the the HDA kext you just provided, with audio ID layout 11!

Edited by billg66
  • Like 1

Realized I had posted this in the wrong thread. Reposting here and deleting there. 

With sound now working, verything is working now with one notable exception: black screen after wake from sleep. I've tried Darkwake=0, 8, 10... but nothing helps. I saw this link in the first post:

I downloaded the file, which wasn't a .zip when it downloaded, but a Unix executable simply called "Wakes From Sleep." I have a Raedon 5450, I'm pretty sure it's a Sapphire, but it may be a PowerColor. But I have no idea what to do with the Unix file. I'm attaching it here to make sure I've got the right thing. Is this my only option for fixing the black screen after sleep? If so, can someone please tell me how to use this file? It will be running perfectly if I can just fix this one issue. Thank you for your consideration. Clover file attached, as well.

I had found this guide, and followed it. I turned on FixDisplay, and turned off Inject ATI. Sure enough, after reboot. I had video after wake. BUT, then I had a frozen system. But even that stopped working after I installed @ Macpeet's AppleHDA.kext from 10.13.4. This is the LAST thing I need to fix to have a perfectly functioning system! Thanks!

CLOVER.zip

Wakes From Sleep

Ok. I did some more Googling, and learned that by pressing the Optiplex power button, rather than the spacebar on my keyboard, my rig will have video after wake from sleep. Easy enough to adopt that habit, BUT, when it wakes from sleep using that method, it's frozen. No mouse input, no keyboard input, no mounting of flash drives. Please. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on addressing THAT issue?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Optiplex 780: C2Q Q9400@2,66GHz, 16GB RAM DDR3, Gigsbyte GeForce GT710 2GB. Do you happen to know if my processor is compatible with Big Sur? Has anyone attempted to install a beta of Big Sur on Optiplex 780?

Thank you in advance!

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 10:07 AM, chris1111 said:

Big Sur B3 run on my Optiplex 790 with OpenCore + GeForce GT 710 :wink_anim:

the system has been installed for more than a week already

Everything is perfect and boot twice as fast as Clover with OpenCore

842167055_ScreenShot2020-08-03at4_40_13PM.thumb.png.9e65bd0c594ba6539244cfc06c20cf9b.png

Any tips, tricks on how to get this working? EFI folder?

• 2 weeks later...