[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

@chris1111 Ok, I'm up and running now. I've used a PostInstall-Tutorial specially for Optiplex990, now my Network work like a charm.
Only thing which not work is to boot from the SSD on Startup. 

What is the way you recommend to install the Bootloader? 
I've noticed that you still wrote something about this here. I've got it to start clover, but one Question still there...

Does I have to choose the same Checkboxes you described before, or can I uncheck all driver-settings to prevent removing still installed drivers ?

Edited by socam77

57 minutes ago, socam77 said:

@chris1111 Ok, I'm up and running now. I've used a PostInstall-Tutorial specially for Optiplex990, now my Network work like a charm.
Only thing which not work is to boot from the SSD on Startup. 

What is the way you recommend to install the Bootloader? 
I've noticed that you still wrote something about this here. I've got it to start clover, but one Question still there...

Does I have to choose the same Checkboxes you described before, or can I uncheck all driver-settings to prevent removing still installed drivers ?

Mount EFI USB Installer copying the EFI Folder on desktop

Unmount EFI USB

Mount EFI SSD, Copying EFI Desktop to EFI SSD

Run Clover same setup if the setup works for USB its work for SSD

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, socam77 said:

@chris1111I got it, thanks a lot. :thumbsup_anim: :drool:
So what's the best way to Make a Full-Backup of the whole Installation now, so (if I crash something in the future), I can come back to the current State of installation?

Carbon Copy Cloner

But after cloning, you have to Copy EFI SSD to EFI Clone

and reinstall Clover to the clone for making clone bootable

Good job and congrats for you effort and patience :thumbsup_anim:

• Thanks 1

@chris1111

I have installed an USB-WiFi Dongle (RTL 8191su, which works like a charm. 
I'm not sure if it's caused of that installation, but if I now Shutdown MacOS, I see the ActivityIndicator (Progress-Circle)... but it never stop and shutdown anymore.
Only press & hold the Power-button helps to hardly shutdown.

Is there a way to figure out, what the cause of this error is?
On Linux you can open another TTY to check which process hangs. Is this possible on Mac, or is there an logfile to check after next reboot?

#### 

Ok, it's definitely the WLAN. If I "Turn Radio of", it shutdown cleanly. If it's still connected or WLAN is turned on, only the progressbar spinner is shown.
Is there a kind of Hook to use, if press "shutdown" to first unload the WLAN?

Edited by socam77
add information

Hey guys can you please help me? 

I was enjoying my hackintosh build very well so far and decided to upgrade my GPU. I Chose an AMD rx 570 (Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB) but i cant get macos to boot up. When I had my old gpu plugged in I already installed the whatevergreen kext in Advance. But currently the dell pc stops at the middle of the booting screen and turns to a blackscreen. Do you Need some more Details? I also tried to use -x -v which didnt really help 

Thank you in Advance!

@blxkspell

Old computer, new graphics, it will not work.
Does the Dell Optiklex 790 MT have a UEFI bios?
I do not think so!
WhateverGreen.kext only works with UEFI-Bios, not with old bios.
GT710 2GB works OOB with Sierra, HS ans Mojave!

2 hours ago, MacPeet said:

@blxkspell

Old computer, new graphics, it will not work.
I do not think so!
WhateverGreen.kext only works with UEFI-Bios, not with old bios.
GT710 2GB works OOB with Sierra, HS ans Mojave!

Hmm ok i didnt know that you'd need an UEFI BIOS for WeG... Is it still possible somehow to boot successfully with the rx570? I'm really used to macos and don't want to change back to windows :(. I'm also planning to install an i7 2600 which wouldn't bottleneck my new gpu so I can finally buy a 4k monitor which was also the reason I went for the amd gpu. I've heard that the new amd cards have good support with the latest macos versions even without the whatever green kext. 

Thank you in advance 

Simon

54 minutes ago, blxkspell said:

Hmm ok i didnt know that you'd need an UEFI BIOS for WeG... Is it still possible somehow to boot successfully with the rx570? I'm really used to macos and don't want to change back to windows :(. I'm also planning to install an i7 2600 which wouldn't bottleneck my new gpu so I can finally buy a 4k monitor which was also the reason I went for the amd gpu. I've heard that the new amd cards have good support with the latest macos versions even without the whatever green kext. 

Thank you in advance 

Simon

Dell Optiplex 790 support UEFI and Legacy

AMD RX 570 Sapphire Nitro 4GB 

Minimum ➢  500 W power supply required

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

Guest ricoc90
3 hours ago, MacPeet said:

Na klar. It's buggy as f.ck, but it does have it :lol:

The standard PSU is (somewhere around) 240W, so a PSU upgrade is needed

1 hour ago, ricoc90 said:

Na klar. It's buggy as f.ck, but it does have it :lol:

The standard PSU is (somewhere around) 240W, so a PSU upgrade is needed

Im currently running the pc with a thermaktake 550W psu so that's not a problem.

@chris1111

Ive also seen the uefi Option in the bios but i dont have much knowledge about the difference between legacy and uefi mode. 

Do you think that reinstalling Mojave as UEFI to be able to use the WeG kext will solve my problem or should I try to use a different DSDT.aml or config.plist first? Unfortunately I'm not very deep into patching so I can't really do something else than ask you...

Edited by blxkspell

1 hour ago, blxkspell said:

Im currently running the pc with a thermaktake 550W psu so that's not a problem.

@chris1111

Ive also seen the uefi Option in the bios but i dont have much knowledge about the difference between legacy and uefi mode. 

Do you think that reinstalling Mojave as UEFI to be able to use the WeG kext will solve my problem or should I try to use a different DSDT.aml or config.plist first? Unfortunately I'm not very deep into patching so I can't really do something else than ask you...

Not need reinstall Clover in UEFI 

Mode ESP is suffisant to enable UEFI in Bios and booting UEFI

If Clover is on ESP that's correct to try booting UEFI

Make sure you have drivers64UEFI in CLOVER and the correct drivers for booting

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 12:06 AM, chris1111 said:

Not need reinstall Clover in UEFI 

Mode ESP is suffisant to enable UEFI in Bios and booting UEFI

If Clover is on ESP that's correct to try booting UEFI

Make sure you have drivers64UEFI in CLOVER and the correct drivers for booting

how do i know wether i do have the correct drivers?

btw ive now installed the new cpu (i can play gta v with nearly max settings at 1080p 60fps so the dell pc is quite powerful now :D)

****Edit:

Ive managed to boot Cover in uefi but macos still won't boot (blackscreen at 70%)

image.jpg

379F0C31-433F-4430-937F-C7A98EC8150D.png

This is the Last Line before it becomes black...

Edited by blxkspell

I am no expert at this caper -- far from it --  but I am tenacious... and after about four days of effort, I have finally successfully set up Mojave current production (10.14.2) on my old Dell 780.

I'm very pleased to report that 

* audio is working

-  with custom boot flags and rolled back HDA kext, cachce refreshes (kextutil) and reboots, so many reboots

* video is working 

-  not 100% what the real difference was between my previously functional High Sierra setup and this one but as with HS, I ran through the install process until I could go no further, did the kext rollbacks but still I couldn't get the right resolution.  In the end, I kept trying different intaller processes and used Chris1111's installer which had the InjectATI flag set (for HS I had to *unset* this).  Anyway, it now looks good.

* wifi is working

- I had to add the injectatheros kext into the clover setup after running the installer AirPortAtheros40 installer 1.0.1.zip (see Downloads), refresh (kextutil), reboot

* usb limit

-  I came across what appears to be a failry common problem where not all of the USB sockets are functional.  I had to apply custom patches for correct OSX version in config.plist AND make sure usbinjectall kext was in the Clover folders

Forgive my lack of detail (correct file names?) but essentially, I am posting this here so that if anyone else is trying to setup a 780 with the same or similar components, I am very happy to share my configuration files that are working.

For those who know more than me, I'd like to explore a couple of extras at some stage

1) is there any way I can explicitly specify the screen resolution or is it only ever going to use the default for the connected display?  I've tried changing the resolution in the config.plst of clover but nothing changes.  I'm considering changing monitors or even connecting a soon-to-be-replaced TV screen

2) I haven't managed to get my Ethernet connection working.  It's not essential but I'd like to have the option if I need it.  I'm using the standard on board adapter for the 780 SFF.  Currently I get a message about the Ethernet cable being connected and an IP address had been obtained but no internet connection.  AppleIntelE100e v3.3.6 is loaded.  Is that all I need?  Does this suggest something to do external from the Hackintosh? (cable/modem config/??)?

3) My CPU - the Core2 Q9400 is apparently overclockable.  Has anyone worked out if it's possible? worth it?

• Like 2

Guest ricoc90
On 1/14/2019 at 3:00 AM, unrealpants said:

1) is there any way I can explicitly specify the screen resolution or is it only ever going to use the default for the connected display?  I've tried changing the resolution in the config.plst of clover but nothing changes.  I'm considering changing monitors or even connecting a soon-to-be-replaced TV screen

If you go to settings -> display, you can choose between different resolution options. If not or the right resolution is not available, then there's something wrong with your GPU setup.

2) I haven't managed to get my Ethernet connection working.  It's not essential but I'd like to have the option if I need it.  I'm using the standard on board adapter for the 780 SFF.  Currently I get a message about the Ethernet cable being connected and an IP address had been obtained but no internet connection.  AppleIntelE100e v3.3.6 is loaded.  Is that all I need?  Does this suggest something to do external from the Hackintosh? (cable/modem config/??)?

Try Intel82566MM.kext (download is available under step 5 on #1)

3) My CPU - the Core2 Q9400 is apparently overclockable.  Has anyone worked out if it's possible? worth it?

I don't think it's advisable. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:07 AM, ricoc90 said:

If you go to settings -> display, you can choose between different resolution options. If not or the right resolution is not available, then there's something wrong with your GPU setup.

I compared my High Sierra drive and found that AMD5000Controller.kext, AMD3000xx and a couple of others were being used (AMDSupportxx? & AMDLegacyxx? - I don't have access to the machine right now).  So I loaded these testing one by one whenever there were problems with the load to ensure that any necessary support files were loaded too, then when they all loaded, yes, I was able to see a customisable list of resolution settings; however, my colours were inverted (reds became blue and blues were red).  I tried wigggling cables and changing colour profiles but eventually I just removed AMD5000Controller restarted after which the colours were no longer inverted but my list of resolution options had disappeared and only the default display resolution was available.  It would be interesting to know how to get this to work better; however, I decided to buy a different video card - the one that apparently works OOB - the GT 710.  This should arrive today and hopefully work much more smoothly :-)

On 1/18/2019 at 6:07 AM, ricoc90 said:

Try Intel82566MM.kext (download is available under step 5 on #1)

This one turned out to be completely external from the drivers/settings/options etc. I was using an ethernet-over-power adapter that needed to be reset properly before it connected to my main adapter at the modem.  Working successfully now and I've disabled the wi-fi :-)

On 1/11/2019 at 6:24 PM, blxkspell said:

how do i know wether i do have the correct drivers?

btw ive now installed the new cpu (i can play gta v with nearly max settings at 1080p 60fps so the dell pc is quite powerful now :D)

****Edit:

Ive managed to boot Cover in uefi but macos still won't boot (blackscreen at 70%)

image.jpg

379F0C31-433F-4430-937F-C7A98EC8150D.png

This is the Last Line before it becomes black...

Does really no one know what I can do now? I don't want to use the gt 710 anymore....

On 1/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, chris1111 said:

this is an issue with AppleALC and Lilu

used the latest

Do you know wether this would be possible to fix? If you say its an issue with the latest versions only, should i try older versions?

***edit

Im not sure if i got you the right way, nevertheless I Downgraded the lilu Version from 1.3.1 to 1.2.9 and disabled the appleALC (which isnt necessary to boot i guess) without success. Again blackscreen after the attached Image...

2019-01-27 13-12-22.jpg

Edited by blxkspell

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got my Rx 570 working in macos finally! The solution was using a DP cable instead of the HDMI. My second Monitor only uses HDMI so I cant use it now.  Does anyone have a tip or a solution for this problem? 

image.jpg

Edited by blxkspell

Actually Ive already tried to inject ATI and add orinoco as FB which would fit to my Rx 570 but it didn't work either. I have the feeling that for my system it doesn't make a difference at all wether I use the Whatevergreen kext/ Framebuffer/ Radeondeinit or not.

Also I've read that with WeG injected you shouldn't use injectATI

9E7B6ABF-ED01-4F8E-8032-751602826789.png

Edited by blxkspell