[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, cele_82 said:

Thanks, I was looking if someone is running a DELL 780 with GT610 so a ready to go EFI folder would have been easier for me. I think most of the stuff probably is unchanged from 10.13 but I wanted something ready to deploy... if there is anyone running this config.

I have a Dell 780 Minitower with GT710 and build my Mojave install with Dosdude1 patch (http://dosdude1.com/mojave/).

Try my clover files.

Cheers.

config.plist

Other.zip

On 1/6/2020 at 11:23 AM, chris1111 said:

Use this config, its adapted for Catalina and works for ancient macOS

config.plist.zip

This is strange the user does not come back after he has had what he asked for :bye:

Many thanks for your help and sorry for answering late.

Tried your config.plist but had the the same effect, the installer get stuck at the same point. :wallbash: 

4 hours ago, vbmota said:

I have a Dell 780 Minitower with GT710 and build my Mojave install with Dosdude1 patch (http://dosdude1.com/mojave/).

Try my clover files.

Cheers.

config.plist

Other.zip

Thanks. I will try as soon as I get the chance. Likely next week...quick question; is there any config change to make between GT710 and 610 ? (if you know)

Hi all,

I recently decided to re-install Mojave on my 790.

I wanted to go down the APFS route, after not receiving the updates correctly using HFS+.

However, after an installation I end up with a grey screen with mouse icon. If I press a button the icon disappears.

I'm sure this is something silly.

Thanks in advance

IMG_6841.JPG

11 minutes ago, Aaronation said:

Hi all,

I recently decided to re-install Mojave on my 790.

I wanted to go down the APFS route, after not receiving the updates correctly using HFS+.

However, after an installation I end up with a grey screen with mouse icon. If I press a button the icon disappears.

I'm sure this is something silly.

Thanks in advance

what graphics card do you have?

With my test Optiplex 790 with the GeForce 210 I have thE same issue, if I not used VoodooHDA

This is relate to AppleHDA 

Try to used VoodooHDA in clover

Edited by chris1111

1 hour ago, chris1111 said:

what graphics card do you have?

With my test Optiplex 790 with the GeForce 210 I have thE same issue, if I not used VoodooHDA

This is relate to AppleHDA 

Try to used VoodooHDA in clover

I have a GT720 in the machine at the moment. I do have a 710 that I can try.

Although this card has worked before.

I'll swap them over real quick.

So the graphics card swap did nothing. But I did end up loading on a newer clover boot loader. Which got me into the OS.

And as you mentioned before, I have no sound.

Which folder in clover do I add the Voodoo kext ?

And does it affect the sound in any way?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Aaronation
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aaronation said:

I have a GT720 in the machine at the moment. I do have a 710 that I can try.

Although this card has worked before.

I'll swap them over real quick.

With the Geforce 720 don't use AppleALC, use only VoodooHDA

With the 710 no problem to use AppleALC

• Like 2

Hello all,

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 (Core 2 Quad 9400), and I am atempting to install macOS Catalina. I used dosdude1's patcher tool to create a bootable installer, and installation went without any issues. I installed Catalina to my internal SSD, but now, when I try to boot from it my system crashes. In verbose, I get all the way to IOConsoleUsers:GIOScreenLock, (When the macOS GUI initializes) however after that message, my system simply reboots. I have attached my config.plist below, any help or guidance anyone can give me would be greatly apreciated. 

Specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad 9400

Ram: 4GB (Stock)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 710

config.plist

1 hour ago, CD100 said:

Hello all,

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 (Core 2 Quad 9400), and I am atempting to install macOS Catalina. I used dosdude1's patcher tool to create a bootable installer, and installation went without any issues. I installed Catalina to my internal SSD, but now, when I try to boot from it my system crashes. In verbose, I get all the way to IOConsoleUsers:GIOScreenLock, (When the macOS GUI initializes) however after that message, my system simply reboots. I have attached my config.plist below, any help or guidance anyone can give me would be greatly apreciated. 

Specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad 9400

Ram: 4GB (Stock)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 710

config.plist

try this let me know

config.plist.zip

42 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

try this let me know

config.plist.zip

Thank you for your reply

Unfortunately, I have had no luck, even with the new config.plist, the same issue still persists.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but before the crash I get the following message repeated over lots of times

apfs_spec_read_wrapper:10890:apfs_spec_read_wrapper : f_info->fsroffset 49152IMG_20200126_135426965.thumb.jpg.fbc47caf04d55293f358a8582885a82b.jpg

Again, I don't know if this is actually important or not, but I figured I would mention it.

1 hour ago, CD100 said:

Thank you for your reply

Unfortunately, I have had no luck, even with the new config.plist, the same issue still persists.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but before the crash I get the following message repeated over lots of times

apfs_spec_read_wrapper:10890:apfs_spec_read_wrapper : f_info->fsroffset 49152IMG_20200126_135426965.thumb.jpg.fbc47caf04d55293f358a8582885a82b.jpg

Again, I don't know if this is actually important or not, but I figured I would mention it.

Try to Use this for the USB Installer

then after change the config 

7 hours ago, chris1111 said:

With the Geforce 720 don't use AppleALC, use only VoodooHDA

With the 710 no problem to use AppleALC

I ended up putting the 720 back in.

I did exactly what you've said. And it seems to be working perfectly.

Thank you very much for the help, much appreciated. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Try to Use this for the USB Installer

then after change the config 

chris1111,

I re-downloaded my Catalina install app (From MAS this time instead of dosdude patch tool) and re created my usb with the method you specified. I then wiped my system disk, and reinstalled from my new usb. Unfortunately it still won't boot to the desktop, and reboots in the same spot. :(

On the bright side, the strange apfs_spec error message is gone, and the system boots much faster now (But still wont boot ALL the way)

Edited by CD100

8 minutes ago, CD100 said:

chris1111,

I re-downloaded my Catalina install app (From MAS this time instead of dosdude patch tool) and re created my usb with the method you specified. I then wiped my system disk, and reinstalled from my new usb. Unfortunately it still won't boot to the desktop, and reboots in the same spot. :(

On the bright side, the strange apfs_spec error message is gone, and the system boots much faster now (But still wont boot ALL the way)

I think You have to patch the system for the Core 2 Quad 9400

read here how to 

Edited by chris1111

2 hours ago, chris1111 said:

I think You have to patch the system for the Core 2 Quad 9400

read here how to 

SUCCESS!!!!

I successfully applied the mojave2core patch to my system, and it is now working great. Thanks a lot for the help, and for pointing me in the direction of the SSE patch.

IMG_20200126_210948113.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CD100 said:

SUCCESS!!!!

I successfully applied the mojave2core patch to my system, and it is now working great. Thanks a lot for the help, and for pointing me in the direction of the SSE patch.

Super :thumbsup_anim:

4 hours ago, cele_82 said:

Do I just need those Other kexts you sent ? Anything else ? I was expecting more kexts somehow... but maybe just used to my laptop needing more...

Yes, use the "Other" kexts only... theres no reason to use more kexts (only if you have some new hardware). Laptops are more complex to properly setup.

1 hour ago, vbmota said:

Yes, use the "Other" kexts only... theres no reason to use more kexts (only if you have some new hardware). Laptops are more complex to properly setup.

Thanks for all the help. Last thing before I start attempting this later this week - Are you HFS+ or APFS formatted ?

Audio codec 780/760:

AD1984A - for Dell Optiplex 780/760 - LayoutID 11 (0B) Version 1 - ManualMode
AD1984A - for Dell Optiplex 780/760 - LayoutID 13 (0D) Version 2 - SwitchMode

The hardware internal mini speaker is deleted in the codec.

The display "internal speaker" is then the LineOut connection in the back green.

4 hours ago, cele_82 said:

@chris1111 sorry to disturb, do you think I'll get into problems trying the GT610 on 10.14.6 ?

I saw you are maintaining a package for 10.15 but wondering if you can advise on 10.14.6 for GT610.

Sorry a bit rusty on this.

GT 610 is not support for the package Old Nividia

GeForce 610 is a bad card after Yosemite