[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Was supposed to upgrade my DELL 780 DT - Core Quad Q9650 - GT710 2GB running 10.9.5 to Mojave a year ago but didn't have the time due to covid. Would like to try to move it to Catalina...

Can someone give me a bullet point list of what is required to clean install MacOS Catalina on it ? Bear in mind I have the quad core CPU.

I'll start:

- Install Catalina on a hard drive with APFS from a running Catalina Mac or Hack.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, xflier said:

Here is the opencore EDF for 755 (core2Quad cpu) without the mouse and keyboard issue. I used it to upgrade to big sur successfully. However it still has some other issues like reboot/shut down issue. If your cpu is different, you need to recompile the acpi folder.

after upgraded with the reboot/shutdown issue, I switch back to clover to boot the big sur. Appreciate if you have any insight regarding how to fix the reboot/shutdown issue.

Need to enter your platform info which I entered some dummy values, before boot from it.

USB-BIG-SUR-OC-EFI.zip 2.78 MB · 34 downloads

I stopped keeping track of this form. I had settled with Mojave. But still thank you xflier. Do you mind sharing what you changed for this fix?

Edit: Issue with replying - had duplicated meesages.

Edited by Fantasy

12 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Yooooo. Thank you!!. This tool is limited to Dell Optiplex(s) which have at least a Sandy Bridge CPU right?. So no Core 2 Quad support? 

If Core 2 Quad isn't supported, it makes sense though. Penryn is getting quite old now, most likely won't support macOS 12. 

Edited by Fantasy

13 hours ago, Fantasy said:

Yooooo. Thank you!!. This tool is limited to Dell Optiplex(s) which have at least a Sandy Bridge CPU right?. So no Core 2 Quad support? 

If Core 2 Quad isn't supported, it makes sense though. Penryn is getting quite old now, most likely won't support macOS 12. 

CORE DUO you have to setup OC config.plist and probably  kext

Dont have this kind of CPU

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, chris1111 said:

I followed the approach and made a usb driver for big sur. It could boot up and a recovery/utilities screen showed up, however usb keyboard and mouse don't work. 

Edited by xflier

1 hour ago, xflier said:

I followed the approach and made a usb driver for big sur. It could boot up and a recovery/utilities screen showed up, however usb keyboard and mouse don't work. 

Disable drivers  OpenUsbKbDxe.efi , UsbMouseDxe.efi

Edited by chris1111

2 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Disable drivers  OpenUsbKbDxe.efi , UsbMouseDxe.efi

Thanks,  I figured out the keyboard issue with a patch. Now, I got the same issue as before that reboot and shutdown won't work.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, xflier said:

Thanks,  I figured out the keyboard issue with a patch. Now, I got the same issue as before that reboot and shutdown won't work.

You need DSDT.aml for your Optiplex

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Apologies to ask this again but I was planning to go and upgrading this system I gave pre-pandemic and I was unable to travel as you can imagine.

Can I ask a few pointers on how to install Catalina on my Dell 780 Core2Quad Q9650 with GT710 ?

Could you share/upload your EFI folder if you have it working and are using a similar CPU and GPU as mine ?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 4:52 AM, cele_82 said:

@xflier I saw you have a Core2Quad system... mind sharing your specs and how you went to Big sur please ? So I can start somewhere...

I post my OC EFI in page 26, but it is for 755, not sure if it will work for your pc. I used it to boot from usb Big Sur installation drive, and installed it. However, I had issues with shutdown and reboot, and came back to Catalina.

I made a Catalina 10.15.7 stick with Clover and the EFI folder from Macpeet from few posts back since he has too a Core2Quad and GT710.

I also made the same stick as above but with dosdude.

Both result in " the MacOS installation couldn't be completed"..any ideas ?

536A45C0-8647-4920-8981-2F7290D5EC04.jpeg

@cele_82

You can not expect my old EFI from High Sierra to work with Catalina. The instructions are now old when it comes to newer systems.
I will not write new instructions for optiplex.
Is Catalina or BigSur possible with optiplex780? Yes. But not with the GT610.
You have to find the way yourself. For me, the optiplex is now too old.

• 2 weeks later...

I successfully installed Big Sur from scratch via a USB Drive (with OC) on my 755 (Quad-Core). Attached the EFI. In case anybody wants to try, just remember to modify the config.plist with your MLB, SN, and SN.

The ACPI is from - GitHub - denskop/Dell-Optiplex-755-macOS: Repo to install macOS on Dell Optiplex 755

If you have a different BIOS version or number of cpu cores, you can download it and run the Build.sh to generate your own.

The USB installer has only one issue : it won't on reboot. Installation needs few reboots in the middle, and I need to manually press and hold the power button to reboot.

I couldn't figure it out myself, and hope I could get some input for the reboot issue. BTW, after installation, shutdown works, but reboot still remain not work.

1734222073_ScreenShot2021-09-09at9_24_40PM.png.f1943fa26243fac3d8fa9ab49526b909.png

OC-EFI-USB-0.7.3.zip

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 7:44 AM, family1232009 said:

@xflier Do you have SpeedStep (C-states) and USB mouse/keyboard hotplug working? 

Try enabling the FadtEnableReset quirk to fix reboot

I am not sure about SpeedStep, but my wireless usb mouse and keyboard work fine, even after unplugging and plugging back.

Thanks a lot for the input about reboot. It seems working.