[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. 

Has anybody tested out 10.14.1 update? Is the telemetry patch still working? Also, I have read reports that the USB patch + USBInjectAll.kext method doesn't work anymore unless one uses a custom SSDT. I guess we should be covered, right?

Edited by ernani

Hey everyone,

I've been attempting to start a hackintosh for the last few days with no success unfortunately and I was wondering if I'm doing anything incorrectly.

My current configuration is:

Dell Optiplex 755

Samsung SSD 850 EVO on SATA 2

8GB (4x2GB) Crucial RAM

Intel Q9400

DVD Drive on SATA 0

Had a Radeon 3450 but I ripped it out bc it didn't have vga/HDMI so I'm running on VGA from main chipset.

I've followed the instructions of creating a.fresh install media, installing clover with the settings specificied, installing DSDT/config files provided in these threads, but I keep ending up at a kernel panic and the installation never seems to boot. 

I've attempted to record it as my monitor can't capture the entire report, but the one time I did capture it, it seemed that there was some error with AppleAHCI extension and I wasn't able to find much help regarding that. 

Thanks for all your time in advances!

from what I read, no vga with hackintosh. So you nead a graphic card for example hd5450 or nvidia gt 710. The second card is better as it is compatible with high sierra.

8 hours ago, MacPeet said:

here too, 10.14.2 DP1 works

@rachad

gt710 is better, OOB works with Sierra, HS and Mojave
HD5450 works only up to Sierra (and HS with rollback), Mojave without graphics acceleration

So far, I did not succeed with the rollback of hd5440. I followed carefully the howto but no way.

Anyway I am very happy with sierra. thanks for the tutorial. 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, rachad said:

from what I read, no vga with hackintosh. So you nead a graphic card for example hd5450 or nvidia gt 710. The second card is better as it is compatible with high sierra.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:57 AM, MacPeet said:

here too, 10.14.2 DP1 works

@rachad

gt710 is better, OOB works with Sierra, HS and Mojave
HD5450 works only up to Sierra (and HS with rollback), Mojave without graphics acceleration

Thanks for your responses! If I were to purchase this, would this work without any additional kexts aside from injecting Nvidia in the config.plist?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOFD0G8/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B01AZ7M2OY?th=1

Yes, but without inject nvidia.
Everything is empty in the CloverConfigurator / graphics.
GT710 works OOB.
I have the MSI GT710 2GB passive version without fan.

(Remove graphics entry from the HD5450 in the DSDT)

Edited by MacPeet

On 11/4/2018 at 4:29 PM, MacPeet said:

Yes, but without inject nvidia.
Everything is empty in the CloverConfigurator / graphics.
GT710 works OOB.
I have the MSI GT710 2GB passive version without fan.

(Remove graphics entry from the HD5450 in the DSDT)

i have optiplex 990 SFF with i5 -2400 and Nvidia Zotac GT710 2 gb

How can i install newly high sierra or mojave on this pc? I've tried with tutorial on first page but no luck.
Always had black screen after loading FakeSMC.kext

I'm using clover 2.4k r4701 Rehabman version

Is there any DSDT that should be used to make installation run?

Thanks.

53 minutes ago, blxkspell said:

is it somehow possible to control the speed of the cpu and chassis fans? They are very loud when macos is booted even though cpu temp is about 30°C 

30°C  is correct what do you think of having ?

On 11/14/2018 at 2:12 PM, chris1111 said:

30°C  is correct what do you think of having ?

as i said the problem isnt the temperature as i upgraded my heatsink and would actually be enough to keep the cpu cool, but the fan noise. Its very loud and i cant focus on revising for exams etc. Currently i didnt even plug in the 4-pin connector bc the cpu still stays at 40° but when i boot up windows to play gta eg the fan is necessary.

Guest ricoc90
On 11/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, gendigbadig said:

How can i install newly high sierra or mojave on this pc? I've tried with tutorial on first page but no luck.

Thanks.

Everything you need is on the first page, including a patched DSDT.

11 hours ago, blxkspell said:

as i said the problem isnt the temperature as i upgraded my heatsink and would actually be enough to keep the cpu cool, but the fan noise. Its very loud and i cant focus on revising for exams etc. Currently i didnt even plug in the 4-pin connector bc the cpu still stays at 40° but when i boot up windows to play gta eg the fan is necessary.

Which fan is making the noice? What bios are you using?

It is not possible to manually control the fan speed, but I would expect you just have a noisy fan.

I have an i7-Core CPU. HW Monitor shows that it runs at about 35* C. I don't hear the fan running. Not unless I put my ear next to the back of the case.

I am using the stock fans. No issues. I use the computer several hrs a day for work, and a few hrs after work. I have had this computer for 3 years. No issues with CPU over-heating or fan noise.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:44 PM, fedaa_mahmoud said:

Great mojave really awesome .

@chris1111

How are you changing the System Logo Tiff after the change to Mojave?

I like yours. Gimme, gimme. I want, I want! :)

Edited by morpheousman
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, morpheousman said:

Which fan is making the noice? What bios are you using?

It is not possible to manually control the fan speed, but I would expect you just have a noisy fan.

I have an i7-Core CPU. HW Monitor shows that it runs at about 35* C. I don't hear the fan running. Not unless I put my ear next to the back of the case.

I am using the stock fans. No issues. I use the computer several hrs a day for work, and a few hrs after work. I have had this computer for 3 years. No issues with CPU over-heating or fan noise.

i use the 120mm fan from my old dell 780 with the cooler master hyper 212x heatsink bc dell uses a different pin layout than the stock coolermaster fan. Maybe thats the reason for my issue.

btw is it already possible to install mojave on the dell 790? 

Guest ricoc90
30 minutes ago, blxkspell said:

Yes, it is. The procedure is more or less the same as installing High Sierra.

Spoiler

ecRaold.png

Edited by ricoc90

On 11/18/2018 at 8:03 AM, blxkspell said:

i use the 120mm fan from my old dell 780 with the cooler master hyper 212x heatsink bc dell uses a different pin layout than the stock coolermaster fan. Maybe thats the reason for my issue.

I have Mojave on my 790.

I had to change video cards from the HD5450 to a Gigabyte Geoforce 710. 

G710 works OOB

On 11/13/2018 at 4:16 AM, gendigbadig said:

Thanks.

Where is install hanging up, can you get through to installation screen? 

After following a few other guides from TonyMac and Hackintosher (with some success but black screen issues). I was able to get this working fine on an Optiplex 780 just by downloading the associated files and following the instructions. I updated the firmware to allow the max 16GB RAM. My graphics card is an Nvidia Quad 420 and I didn't need to use web drivers or anything. On clover boot all i needed to do was inject nvidia and it recognized my card and everything just worked. Four beautiful screens and no lagging at all. Thanks so much for posting this, it sure saved me a ton of time! I do have one issue though i'm not quite sure how to address. The startup volume I'm using involves two SSD drives in a RAID 0 (which boots extremely fast of course). I created this using the RAID Utility before installing High Sierra on it. The only problem is i'm not sure how to move my USB boot flash EFI partition to the raided SSD EFI partition because it still sees a separate EFI partition for each SSD and not one striped together, why? I tried copying the EFI over to both SSD EFI partitions and installed clover to the High Sierra startup drive the same as I did for the USB installer but on boot without the USB flash there is no recognized startup disk... it so I'm stuck still having to boot off of the USB flash drive for now until I figure this out or someone points me in the right direction. What can I do to get that raided EFI working? Has anyone done what I'm doing? What I was thinking is that maybe I need to mount both EFI partitions and run the RAID Utility again and see if it can turns it into a single stripped partition and try to copy the EFI over after that. If anyone has a better idea let me know. Thanks in advance, you all rock! :)