[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

Thanks ;)

Yeah for nvidia we need of the official release of the web drivers that's why I haven't migrated from Sierra to High Sierra on my main rig ;) I have a 1070 on my SkyLake machine.

But my R9 270X is working OOB.

• Like 1

You can enable it with old 12.5 driver to see correct monitor resolution also in multimonitor config

we have to wait for proper metal acceleration if Nvidia will support it in a future

Yeah I know about the patching of the old nvidia web driver. Thanks :)

It didn't work on my EVGA GPU, without the web driver I have full resolution on one of my displays with 8MB vram detected, and with the patched web driver the memory is still 8MB. (Maybe I did do something wrong)

And I need my main rig at its full potential and stable that's why I haven't migrated from Sierra to High Sierra yet. i'm waiting for the final release and the official web drivers if nVidia publishes one ;)

Every High Sierra Update I have tested patching method for Nvidia driver and in different way it is working on different rigs (I have a 1080 ti and 1060)

But maybe it is soon to have it as main system

I would like to have a simple patching method and now as soon i can i am starting to test a script produced by PMheart to patch apple policy for nvidia

But till Nvidia decides to create a first 10.13 driver every method will be only a placebo cure! :-)

That would be great! I would love to test it, when the script is ready I can give it a shot if that's possible ;)

i see your screenshot now.

BTFirmwareuploader is not working in 10.13. also EAPDFix too. can't see both kext log. only works ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.

i report this problem to him. but still he is very busy..

i recommend rehabman's bt kext in 10.13

(Sorry for too late reply btw). For BT is just like Battery problem, it sometime appears on Pref but then disappear on next reboot. So I better use partial kext folders for 10.11 & 10.13 (was one placed on Other previously). Not checked yet for EAPDFix, but I think it' s better not using these not compatible kexts for High Sierra Beta.

Thanks for recommendation, would try soon. :)

#Edit: No worry about Battery, it was fault hw year ago and needs to be replaced.

2:637  0:000  Starting Clover revision: 4114 on CLOVER EFI
.....  .....

7:717  0:000  Preparing kexts injection for arch=x86_64 from EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13
7:727  0:010    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\AppleALC.kext
7:744  0:016      Extra PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\AppleALC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\PinConfigs.kext
7:896  0:152    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext
7:964  0:067      Extra PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext\Contents\PlugIns\ApplePS2Controller.kext
7:976  0:011      Extra PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext\Contents\PlugIns\ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
8:003  0:027    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\AsusACPIBackLightPanel.kext
8:015  0:011    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\AsusNBFnKeys.kext
8:035  0:020    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\CalDigitFastIO.kext
8:052  0:016    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext
8:071  0:019    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\FakeSMC.kext
8:101  0:030    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\Lilu.kext
8:122  0:020    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.13\RealtekRTL8111.kext
8:147  0:025  SetStartupDiskVolume:
8:147  0:000    * Volume: 'macOS High Sierra'
.....  ..... 

All credits to PMHeart

below her instructions and script:

I wrote a tiny script to help you patch AGDP automatically. Enjoy!

... .. .
The patched kext will be created on your desktop like DummyAGDP_10.12.5_16F73.kext.

Just a question; is it way different with this one? Thanks   :)

<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Disable board-id check to prevent no signal (c) lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                ugUAAAA=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                ugAAAAA=
                </data>
            </dict>  

@Badruzeus 。。  can you share your config.plist for high sierra? thank you

I have almost empty checked on Clover config.plist options, bcoz I use Patched DSDT - SSDT way for controlling my hw except SMBios, Boot-Args and some Parameters. So It' s useless I guess.

Hi

I can't answer well on this but the script read dynamic and different value present on different releace policy and create a "new" dummy kext which is read to bypass policy in S/L/E

I think is an automatic method to patch config1 to none and it should survive to apple system and applegraphicscontrol.kext update.

Ah OK, I just run the script and got this "DummyAGDP_10.13_17A306f.kext" on my ~/Desktop. Going to try it ASAP and see what's different. Thanks for sharing this anyway.  :rolleyes:

In my case if i put dummy kext in L/E it will override apple policy so no black screen/ no signal solved

It's little bit strange here; so.. my GT520M (GF119) was working QE/CI on 10.13 Beta 17A264c till 17A291m << previously using MBP10,1 SMBios (I know, it's for 3rd Gen with GT650 + IHD4000, while mine is 2nd Gen with Single Nvidia only). But recently updated to 17A306f then I got BlackScreen issue. So, tried some SMBios'es and found MBP6,2 to works, and yeah.. loss NightShift feature on 2010 Mac (MBP6,2). I think need recheck my config again under KTP hmmb..

#EDIT: Hmmb, my Board-id (MBP6,2 or 10,1) r already "None" on AGDP Config Map, so I think this method isn't for my graphics since my problem is different. OK, nice share.  :lol:

It's little bit strange here; so.. my GT520M (GF119) was working QE/CI on 10.13 Beta 17A264c till 17A291m << previously using MBP10,1 SMBios (I know, it's for 3rd Gen with GT650 + IHD4000, while mine is 2nd Gen with Single Nvidia only). But recently updated to 17A306f then I got BlackScreen issue. So, tried some SMBios'es and found MBP6,2 to works, and yeah.. loss NightShift feature on 2010 Mac (MBP6,2). I think need recheck my config again under KTP hmmb..

Definitely and normally. As for MBP series, Night Shift requires MBP8,1 or greater by default. So your MBP6,2 is unsupported.

You can either try using a Lilu plugin (but someone said it would cause a KP under DP3, so I don't recommend this, and also sorry this is in Chinese, if you need any translation, I might help), or patching CoreBrightness.framework.

If you want to try the latter, firstly could you give me a binary of 10.13? Thanks in advance.

Secondly, you can simply patch __DATA segment, which IMHO it shouldn't change.

Find: 09 00 00 00 0D 00 00 00 06 00 00 00
Repl: 06 00 00 00 0D 00 00 00 06 00 00 00

Credits: Pike's article

EDIT: Confirmed. The patch above would keep working.

Edited by PMheart
  • Like 1

Glad you managed to fix it. :)

Any details on that Disk Utility app? For future users who might stumble upon the same issue.

Which app did you use? Where did you get it from? Did you boot into Sierra and repaired the disk from there (by the way, that's exactly what I was about to suggest in case everything failed)?  :) How exactly did you do it?

What I'm saying is this: can you post a step by step of what you did and how you did it for other people to learn from you? After all, that's why we're posting here. Sharing our experiences could help someone else either avoid going through the same issue, or fix it if they already have the same issue. :)

I solved my problem with the old one Disk Utility App which you can download here in the download section for Sierra: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/621-disk-utility-v13-for-macos-sierrazip/

Booted up my Sierra install and tried to fix it with the new one first which is included within Sierra,

but everytime it failed, then I tried High Sierra... same story.

After that I remembered that I had along time ago an similar problem which I fixed with the old Disk Utility,

So I Download the Version from here which I knew works with Sierra.

Started Disk Utility, typed in my password and let Disk Utility check my drive...

What I can say more, it detected the problem immediately and fixed it within a minute!

• Like 1

Definitely and normally. As for MBP series, Night Shift requires MBP8,1 or greater by default. So your MBP6,2 is unsupported.

You can either try using a Lilu plugin (but someone said it would cause a KP under DP3, so I don't recommend this, ...

.... or patching CoreBrightness.framework.

Secondly, you can simply patch __DATA segment, which IMHO it shouldn't change.

Find: 09 00 00 00 0D 00 00 00 06 00 00 00
Repl: 06 00 00 00 0D 00 00 00 06 00 00 00

Credits: Pike's article

EDIT: Confirmed. The patch above would keep working.

Awesome, if only my GF119 has no crash WindowServer issue since 10.12 (while enabling NightShift), it should to works with MBP6,2 SMBios. It now appears on Display pref. On my case I also run: 

sudo codesign -f -s - [Patched_CoreBrightness_binary_location] 

The feature is enabled now, but it changes nothing related to ACPI Display. Fyi only, gotta these binaries crash issue since 10.12 on GF119:

- WindowServer
- SkyLake.framework
- CoreBrightness.framework
- CoreDisplay.framework
- DisplayServices.framework
..and
- GeForceGLDriver

Thanks anyway  :)

post-826765-0-75231300-1499860445_thumb.png

Patched_CoreBrightness.fw_17A306f.zip

• Like 1

Awesome, if only my GF119 has no crash WindowServer issue since 10.12 (while enabling NightShift), it should to works with MBP6,2 SMBios. It now appears on Display pref. On my case I also run: 

sudo codesign -f -s - [Patched_CoreBrightness_binary_location] 

The feature is enabled now, but it changes nothing related to ACPI Display. Fyi only, gotta these binaries crash issue since 10.12 on GF119:

- WindowServer
- SkyLake.framework
- CoreBrightness.framework
- CoreDisplay.framework
- DisplayServices.framework
..and
- GeForceGLDriver

Thanks anyway  :)

Ok cool. Yes. You need to re-sign the framework after patching.

As for the crash on GF119. I think it should be graphics driver problem.

Ok cool. Yes. You need to re-sign the framework after patching.

As for the crash on GF119. I think it should be graphics driver problem.

I think so, as many hackintosh forums said the same (also GT520 on Real MacPro, and GeForce 610). No worry it' s for test purpose only and I just keep progress on new macOS release btw.  :angel:

• Like 1

Every High Sierra Update I have tested patching method for Nvidia driver and in different way it is working on different rigs (I have a 1080 ti and 1060)

But maybe it is soon to have it as main system

I would like to have a simple patching method and now as soon i can i am starting to test a script produced by PMheart to patch apple policy for nvidia

But till Nvidia decides to create a first 10.13 driver every method will be only a placebo cure! :-)

Does this method support APFS?

I downloaded the web driver with the NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater and with the Fake OS Build Version 17A306f; I installed the web driver, the nvda_drv=1 and nNvidiaWeb are set, emuVariableUEFI64.efi and RC Scripts are installed and yet I cannot select Nvidia Web driver. It stays on OSX Default Driver.

I use lilu.kext and nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to avoid the black screen.

I'm using APFS file system with Cover r4114 and it's a USB disk that I installed macOS High Sierra.

What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone else have this issue in DP 3?

>some icons not showing in doc

>applications end with .app in spotlight

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-07-12 at 14.41.58.png

Yup, there are some new bugs in the current beta version.

• Like 1

Reading on Pike blog I decided to not risk my nvme drive or ssd using apfs for non apple device...

so I can't say if it is working also in hfs+

in my case I am using old Sherlocks 4081 clover release because newer one i tested produce in my system strange behavior or kp

Yeah tell me about the strange behavior ;) My computer's nvram is acting up. It simply refuses to remember the last boot volume, maybe it has a short term memory problem :D

But seriously with the new apfs.efi it simply refeuses to remember the APFS volume as a boot device in clover.

lol, then I did reindex for nothing :)

I won't say it was for nothing ;)

But besides those bugs the new build is performing better than the last one. ;)

oftopic

Is there a way to convert a bootable OSX driver in apfs ?

then it is possible to revert it?

How do I upgrade to Apple File System?

The macOS High Sierra installer offers nondestructive in-place upgrades from HFS+ to APFS for bootable volumes. You can use Disk Utility to convert external volumes from HFS+ to APFS format.

If I convert a volume to APFS, can I later revert to HFS+?

You can use Disk Utility to erase an APFS-formatted volume and reformat as HFS+. However, your data will not be preserved when you reformat the volume as HFS+.

Source: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html

• Like 1

I saw you have a X99 system without Intel iGPU and featured a AMD RX 480, how do you boot into system without black screen?

I build a X99-A II + E5 2696 v3 + GTX970 system, I install 10.13 public beta, all okay, except no Nvidia driver support, so I buy a new video card RX460 and think it will be good and I can use RX460 until 10.13 and Nvidia release official version, but!! black screen issue!! I know it after black screen happened and googled!

I search a lots, and find no answers, so disappointed ...

Okay, just read it!

-----------------------------------

You need a helper card because the RX480 cannot be the primary GPU.  If it is the primary GPU, the driver crashes when it tries to initialize the card and you get a black screen.  

The only workaround at the moment is to set your primary GPU as the the 'helper card' in your BIOS, or if that is not an option, usually a motherboard will make the card in the first PCIE slot the primary.  So make sure your RX480 is NOT in this slot, and is in a different one.  The goal here is to make the computer/clover use the helper card.  You do not need anything plugged into it, but you should have your display plugged into the RX480.

If you did it correctly, you will get NO video on your display from the RX480 until right before the macOS desktop/login screen appears.  No BIOS post, no clover, no boot progress bar, nothing.  That is because it is sending the video to the 'helper' card because it is primary.  

If the RX480 is left untouched/unposted, then when the macOS AMD4100.kext driver loads (right at the end of the boot process), you will magically get accelerated video and the RX480 will work and you can ignore the helper card.  If you run into problems during boot, you have to manually plug your monitor into the helper card and see what's up.  

It's a less than ideal solution, but its what works for now.  

-----------------------------------

from here:

I tried to install 7770 and RX460 ... just keep rebooting... sad

Im using this solution http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/313977-r9-nano/?p=2333976

• Like 2

Soo...I guess I'll stick to Nvidia cards then. Too bad there is no support from Apple after Kepler. It's understandable why that is, but still, kinda bad news for us.

But, I'm just curious... These cards are supposed to work OOB, right? Not sure about the 400 series, but 500 series were demoed at WWDC. And, from what I heard, the 500 series, are just rebranded 400 series. So..yeah. Also, both series need this helper card.

Anyway, so let's say they are supposed to work OOB. Indeed, that doesn't account for whatever we're doing before the OS gets initialized. :D Meaning Clover and all that magic. So...my question is: is this a problem on Clover side? BIOS side? Card side? Is it a hardware or a software issue? If you were to run Windows with one of these cards...you would encounter the same issue? Seems unlikely to me.

I wanted to upgrade to one of these AMD RX cards myself. But after seeing the pain it is to use them with MacOS, I gave up. Still, I'm curious as to what's the problem here. And whether or not it will be fixed (assuming it's a software issue here), in the future.