[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

I know that link but in my case it is not work in 10.13 beta 1 and 2

Yes they removed the automatic upgrade feature from public beta releases. It was working in DP release but you can still use disk utility to convert the HFS to APFS

4fc4980aaa575b0c7df2c4265a93b462.png

If we're able to.. I'm just thinking about some Volumes inside APFS_Container if it's force converted to HFS+, do they would become independent Volumes and they still work? For RecoveryHD as example..  ;)​ 

Can you advice which apfs.efi to use in clover/drivers64uefi?

Thank you

I have this

but I have no drivers in clover/drivers64UEFI

Definitely the latest version that came with the 17A306f release. It's been updated twice (DP1 and PB1) since the first release.

I'm still testing the whole APFS file system and it has improved my HDDs performance.

See these benchmarks:

APFS

ced6414a0e748839909273407eea4fe7.png

HFS

5b211a16a5c5df52125bef4a2ec0c206.png

@fabiosun

From "View" select the "Show All Devices" and after that you need to select the volume rather than the Hard Disk. notice my first picture in the previous post that I selected the "320" volume not the "WDCWD320....."

If we're able to.. I'm just thinking about some Volumes inside APFS_Container if it's force converted to HFS+, do they would to be independent Volumes and they still work? For RecoveryHD as example..  ;)​ 

I don't think that's possible once you convert a disk to APFS you can't format it with HFS. The only formats available are APFS/APFS (Encrypted)/APFS (Case-Sensetivs) and APFS (Case-Sensetive, Encrypted) No HFS or other format is supported.

If that's your bootable drive you have to boot from the recovery partition or the USB disk otherwise you won't be able to convert it from macOS because disk utility needs to unmount the disk which is impossible when you booted the system from it.

@cyberdevs

take a look...I have shrieked booting partition and in the new one I am able to convert

no on macOS volume...

ah..now I have understood

That's because disk utility can easily unmount the new "Untitled" volume. ;)

I don't think that's possible once you convert a disk to APFS you can't format it with HFS. The only formats available are APFS/APFS (Encrypted)/APFS (Case-Sensetivs) and APFS (Case-Sensetive, Encrypted) No HFS or other format is supported.

That is. At least, there's still no way to revert AFPS back to HFS+ till date. But I hope, they give it on the future.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

@cyberdevs kextd stall 240s appleacpicpu pci8086 104.....how to solver it? still failed

sometimes when I get the kexts stall error by waiting it will pass, it might take a while and if it didn't pass when I reset the system it gets passed, try it and see if it works. I just installed macOS High Sierra today and on first reboot it gave me the same error and after I rebooted the system it passed the error.

• Like 1

Terminal commands for converting a disk to APFS:

X= disk's identifier and Y= volume's identifier  

For creating an APFS container:

diskutil apfs createContainer /dev/diskXsY

For adding a volume:

diskutil apfs addVolume diskXsY APFS "new APFS volume's name" (Without the quotes) 

hi, my thinkpad  w520 fails to install high sierra..but run smoothly sierra 10.12.6....i used config of sierra but fails,,,what is wrong. thank you402b459585.jpeg

Your W520 has an fermi card which is not fully supported @HighSierra. Does it work with "nv_disable=1" ?

Guys, have you noticed when you duplicate a file on APFS the remaining space won't decrease? Let's say we have about 100 GB of free disk space and we have a 10GB file, by duplicating the 10 GB file the remaining space should be 90 GB but the space remains 100 GB?!

This either a bug on APFS or it's freaking coooool. Right?

Hi. As for XCPM. Check it out. :)

Hi PM,

I'm using your patches, but I think the problem should be on the CPUID platform part ?

Note:

The xx is your exact platform CPUID, for example, the default one is 0x3C and I want it to be Ivy Bridge which is 0x3A, and the desired patch is:

89 d8 04 c4 3c 22 77 22

to

89 d8 04 c6 3c 22 77 22

Note:

The xx is your exact platform CPUID, for example, the default one is 0x3C and I want it to be Ivy Bridge which is 0x3A, and the desired patch is:

89 d8 04 c4 3c 22 77 22

to

89 d8 04 c6 3c 22 77 22

You should replace that C4 with C3, I guess.

Guys, have you noticed when you duplicate a file on APFS the remaining space won't decrease? Let's say we have about 100 GB of free disk space and we have a 10GB file, by duplicating the 10 GB file the remaining space should be 90 GB but the space remains 100 GB?!

WWDC sessions will tell you the truth. ;)

For as far as I could read from some of Piker's notes (I hope I got this right), APFS works by making symbolic links to your files. And not by actually moving them from one place to another on your drive. This is also why it is so fast. So...yeah. :) Considering this, it is kinda normal. Not sure how APFS handles duplicates though.

But again, I could be wrong, and maybe it is a bug that needs to be fixed. I don't know.

• Like 2

Yes but the strange part is as soon as the same EFI is on the drive its unbootable

I have to change my config.plist if I use my USB EFI on my laptop.  I need to change all USB settings (inject/Fix Ownership, etc.) from true to false.

Yup, there are some new bugs in the current beta version.

For *.app extension that appears on 10.13 Spotlight, I also get this issue under 10.11.6. Not sure, but b4 using Clover r4114 I never got this.. maybe I need to reindex it again or try with lower Clover rev..

#EDIT-1: Downgrade to Clover r4112 still has this issue on both OSes, it's not bootloader related (I think)

#EDIT-2: Reindexing mds also has same result. Strange, just a minor issue though...  :wink_anim:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
sudo mdutil -i on /
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist 

post-826765-0-49537400-1499881737_thumb.jpg

I'm not seeing a big performance increase with apfs compared to hfs+, but it does appear to have better write speeds.  Both operating systems are installed on the same 256GB mSata SSD drive.

post-270804-0-73914800-1499882382_thumb.png post-270804-0-22263000-1499882432_thumb.png

• Like 1

For as far as I could read from some of Piker's notes (I hope I got this right), APFS works by making symbolic links to your files. And not by actually moving them from one place to another on your drive. This is also why it is so fast. So...yeah. :) Considering this, it is kinda normal. Not sure how APFS handles duplicates though.

But again, I could be wrong, and maybe it is a bug that needs to be fixed. I don't know.

Thanks for the info :), I found this video on apple's website which is introducing the APFS and its good to watch: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/701/

For *.app extension that appears on 10.13 Spotlight, I also get this issue under 10.11.6. Not sure, but b4 using Clover r4114 I never got this.. maybe I need to reindex it again or try with lower Clover rev..

For macOS Sierra I'm still using an older version of clover r4072 so I have no idea how the r4114 will affect the OS. I will test the new clover and check if it has the same effect on me as well.

I'm not seeing a big performance increase with apfs compared to hfs+, but it does appear to have better write speeds.  Both operating systems are installed on the same 256GB mSata SSD drive.

I haven't tested macOS High Sierra on an SSD yet but on HDD APFS and HFS performance are quite noticeable in read and write both.

• Like 2

For macOS Sierra I'm still using an older version of clover r4072 so I have no idea how the r4114 will affect the OS. I will test the new clover and check if it has the same effect on me as well.

Ah OK, I also tried with Clover r4112 but this issue still persist, I've edited my Post above. Sorry  :) duno why..