[GUIDE] Lenovo T460/T470 macOS with Clover and OpenCore

tluck

1,289 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, adaml75 said:

Hi everyone, both my T460 and X270 perform perfectly. Everything works, latest Catalina etc.

BUT

I get very mediocre battery life (compared to Windows - about 40 percent less). I have tried to apply different power management stuff and to my knowledge evertything works. Intel Power Gadget shows that CPU on MacOS has much higher frequency (on idle) than on Windows. Anybody here has the same battery life on MacOS and Windows? What are your experiences? Any tricks?

Hi, &adaml75

Use below script to grenerate customized SSDT or Kext for your CPU power management. Then use it with CPUFriend.kext.

https://github.com/corpnewt/CPUFriendFriend 

Also use LFM: 04 and EPP: 80

Edited by junaed.rx
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nijhawank said:

2. On hibernate

i always disable hibernate (hibernate mode 0), standby and auto power off after installing my hack. Does any of you have hibernate enabled?

I also never enabled FileVault which may or may not be preferable in order to enable hibernate. 

I don’t really care about hibernation but just wondering about it to prevent a scenario when my hack is sleeping and battery becomes critically low. I’d be ok if I have a way to force a shutdown at that stage but I guess that may not be possible. Thoughts?

Hi @nijhawank,

I tried to enable hibernate on my T460 but with hibernate mode 3 or 25, the system goto sleep ok but doesn't hibernate at all. I have tried conbination of HibernationFixup.kext and RTCMemoryFixup.kext but with no luck. I have attached below my EFI folder if you want to see the config file.

CLOVER.zip

Thanks @junaed.rx for your response. As I said I'm not too desparate on enabling hibernation but wanted to know if others succeeded in enabling it.

4 hours ago, junaed.rx said:

Hi, &adaml75

Use below script to grenerate customized SSDT or Kext for your CPU power management. Then use it with CPUFriend.kext.

https://github.com/corpnewt/CPUFriendFriend 

Also use LFM: 04 and EPP: 80

I assume you would have removed the custom X86PlatformPluginInjector kext that's included with tluck's pack as I understand CPUFriend is a new way of doing what the custom X86PlatformPluginInjector achieves. Is it correct?

Edited by nijhawank

3 hours ago, nijhawank said:

Thanks @junaed.rx for your response. As I said I'm not too desparate on enabling hibernation but wanted to know if others succeeded in enabling it.

I assume you would have removed the custom X86PlatformPluginInjector kext that's included with tluck's pack as I understand CPUFriend is a new way of doing what the custom X86PlatformPluginInjector achieves. Is it correct?

Yes it is, I had some problem loading X86PlatformPluginInjector kext after upgrading from mojave to cataline. I had to move the injector plugin from c/k/o to l/e to load properly, As I like to load everything from c/k/o, I switched to CPUFriend kext. both perform as same though.

18 hours ago, nijhawank said:

3. A small annoyance

When my hack goes to sleep, it makes a pop sound. No other problem with audio other than this minor annoyance. Anybody else experienced it and has a way to solve it?

I have that sound as well.

@junaed.rx

@adaml75

Just want to be sure that I'm having the best possible battery life. I tried all options...

1. tluck's original X86PlatformPluginInjector

2. CPUFriend with data generated from CPUFriendFriend (using CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider kexts under /LibraryExtensions

3. CPUFriend with ssdt_data.aml generated with CPUFriendFriend to /e/c/a/patched (removed original SSDT-CPU.aml from tluck's patch)

However, with all options the lowest I can go to is around 7.5 - 8w. See the screenshot, do you think this is the ideal or there's something wrong? What is your average lowest power consumption? This is while typing this and nothing else running and it has been a while since I booted it, with around 75% brightness.

1354795408_ScreenShot2020-01-05at12_57_41AM.png.a515e616af7de75e8d17087dc584f720.png

Edited by nijhawank

Я скопировал файлы отсюда

/Users/evgen/Downloads/Lenovo-T460-Clover-2019.11.25/DSDT.T460

и перенес их сюда

/ Тома / ESP / EFI / CLOVER / ACPI / patched

это сработало !! но при загрузке вот такая ошибка каждый раз !!

ошибка.rtf

Спойлер

bR3rdwhasEg.thumb.jpg.b217a84a88231abae7ac5565ecd6c4a8.jpg

Edited by poison44rus

6 hours ago, nijhawank said:

@junaed.rx

@adaml75

Just want to be sure that I'm having the best possible battery life. I tried all options...

1. tluck's original X86PlatformPluginInjector

2. CPUFriend with data generated from CPUFriendFriend (using CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider kexts under /LibraryExtensions

3. CPUFriend with ssdt_data.aml generated with CPUFriendFriend to /e/c/a/patched (removed original SSDT-CPU.aml from tluck's patch)

However, with all options the lowest I can go to is around 7.5 - 8w. See the screenshot, do you think this is the ideal or there's something wrong? What is your average lowest power consumption? This is while typing this and nothing else running and it has been a while since I booted it, with around 75% brightness.

Hi @nijhawank,

Here is my cpu idle activity. It certainly Between 1.5 to 2 in idle condition. Yours feels little Bit up. I think SSDT-CPU is required to inject plugintype with CPUFriend kext.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 9.48.57 PM.png

2 hours ago, junaed.rx said:

Hi @nijhawank,

Here is my cpu idle activity. It certainly Between 1.5 to 2 in idle condition. Yours feels little Bit up. I think SSDT-CPU is required to inject plugintype with CPUFriend kext.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 9.48.57 PM.png

Plugin-type = One is also injected by the SSDT generated by CPUFriendFriend and I guess having both tluck’s original SSDT-CPU along with the one generated by CPUFriendFriend will result in duplicate stuff. 

regarding the power consumption, can you report your power consumption from coconutbattery app. It would be available once you go to preferences and configure it to report power consumption in the top menu bar. 
The 7-8 watts is what reported as my system power consumption by coconutbattery and if you only talk about CPU package total that is 1.40 watts as displayed by the HWMonitor in the screenshot

00402C99-9079-4997-B2B6-55BAC7CC9C6C.jpeg

46 minutes ago, nijhawank said:

Plugin-type = One is also injected by the SSDT generated by CPUFriendFriend and I guess having both tluck’s original SSDT-CPU along with the one generated by CPUFriendFriend will result in duplicate stuff. 

regarding the power consumption, can you report your power consumption from coconutbattery app. It would be available once you go to preferences and configure it to report power consumption in the top menu bar. 
The 7-8 watts is what reported as my system power consumption by coconutbattery and if you only talk about CPU package total that is 1.40 watts as displayed by the HWMonitor in the screenshot

Mine is discharging faster than yours. I think this is normal.

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 1.27.26 AM.png

44 minutes ago, adaml75 said:

Hi, I checked and my frequency vectors are still unchanged. Does CPUFriend have to be put in L/E? It doesn't seem to work for me. 

The documentation of CPUFriend suggests it to be preferably loaded via /e/c/k/o or use LiluFriend if being loaded from /L/E (which is what I use). I use create_lilufriend.sh from https://github.com/RehabMan/hack-tools to generate lilufriend kext and put it along with cpufriend and other lilu dependent kexts under /L/E.

However I did a variety of checks and found that even if CPUFriend lowered the lowest frequency to 495mhz / x5, I saw no decrease in power consumption i.e. I rebooted my system by disabling CPUFriend via -cpufoff boot option (this resulted the lowest frequency to lock to 1300mhz / x13) the battery drain was still similar to when using CPUFriend i.e. around 7-8 watt when idle.

So what I am kind of concluding is that lowest frequency did not matter much.

- When cpufriend was used my frequency hovered around 495mhz when idle and power drain was 7-8 watts

- With cpufriend disabled with -cpufoff, the frequency hovered around 1300mhz when idle but the power drain was still 7-8 watts

So just making the lowest frequency to 495mhz or x5 did not make much difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adaml75 said:

Hi, I checked and my frequency vectors are still unchanged. Does CPUFriend have to be put in L/E? It doesn't seem to work for me. 

Did you put the generated aml file in /e/c/acpi/patched? either u use the aml or u use the other data-provider kext

Apologies if anyone answered this before, running the T460S with the TouchScreen Display. Everything works great, but brightness seems to be a miss, 50% of the function puts it to pitch black. I ran the CreateAppleBacklightInjector which didnt seem to resolve. Assuming because this was all built for the non touch displays? Appreciate any direction.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Jobe said:

Apologies if anyone answered this before, running the T460S with the TouchScreen Display. Everything works great, but brightness seems to be a miss, 50% of the function puts it to pitch black. I ran the CreateAppleBacklightInjector which didnt seem to resolve. Assuming because this was all built for the non touch displays? Appreciate any direction.

Thanks!

Its a known problem with touchscreen based T460 models. The screen turns off at around 50-60% brightness, however the problem disappears after a sleep/wake cycle.

33 minutes ago, nijhawank said:

Its a known problem with touchscreen based T460 models. The screen turns off at around 50-60% brightness, however the problem disappears after a sleep/wake cycle.

Gotcha, appreciate the intel, will play with the sleep wake.

22 hours ago, Jobe said:

Thanks!

i originally had a touch screen. WEG and the backlight injector may be in conflict. what seemed to work (based on a long memory) was to make sure the min/max values was ranged 0 to 1000.

look at

ioreg -l |grep ApplePanel 

the values are in hex 

for example: 

0011 0000 001C 002C 003F 0051 0068 008A 00AB 00CC 00FA 0135 0181 01DD 0244 02C9 0359 03E8

0011 = 17 

so 17 values from

to

03E8 = 1000

On 1/7/2020 at 8:57 PM, nijhawank said:

Also non-touch T460, I experience the same situation: brightness control is wonky on boot, works as expected after sleep cycle

On 1/9/2020 at 3:49 AM, Styxie said:

Also non-touch T460, I experience the same situation: brightness control is wonky on boot, works as expected after sleep cycle

so what does this show: 

ioreg -l |grep ApplePanel 

In case of custom AppleBacklight profile is necessary (e.g. via AppleBacklightInjector.kext) the following must be performed to accomplish WhateverGreen compatibility:

• Create your injector with a correct profile
  • Disable WhateverGreen backlight patches via applbkl=0 boot argument
  • Specify injector IOProbeScore (in injector Info.plist) equal to 5500
Edited by tluck

1 hour ago, adaml75 said:

Why? Clover works perfectly well in my case(s).

Mainly because the developers of the crucial kexts that most of us use has moved on to OpenCore. 

I am not in a hurry, and do not switch technologies just to switch; howwever  my initial read right now is that OpenCore is gong to be the future Hackintosh booting. In my opinion it is something worth looking at in my spare time.