[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

I believe some people had problems getting their GTX 750 Ti to run in Sierra. I'm not sure if that card will work (either with or without NVIDIA web drivers).

It works fine with webdrivers installed :

m9TkSRu.png

NB : This screenshot is outdated as it also works fine with the latest betas :D.

I recently bought an Optiplex 960 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 with 2,83 GHz, 8GB DDR2 and Intel® Graphics GMA 4500 onBoard). I intend to install MacOS Sierra and I think this thread with all of its valuable information is the best start.

Any pointer is appreciated!

Best way to know that is to try :D !

The attached modded DSDT_and_config_for_Optiplex990.zip should work with 960 Series.

I would recommend to install the GTX 750 Ti before and once the install is done, you'll need to install the webdrivers available here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-06152016/

Careful, build number of macOS DOES matter !

Finally, don't forget to remove nv_disable=1 and add nvda_drv=1 (has no effect in Sierra but it's safer to use it anyway) in config.plist.

DSDT_and_config_for_Optiplex990.zip

• Like 2

try with terminal

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

...for all Interfaces (LAN to LAN, WIFI to LAN, WIFI to WIFI)

or back (WIFI only)

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 0

and/or

check and try same workgroup ...

System Settings / Network / Other Options / Wins / Workgroup

... on all Mac's

So, yes, the defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1 command is how I got Airdrop to show up in the first place. I've checked Workgroups, there's only one option on each MacHack (workgroup), and it's selected. My primary Hackintosh has both LAN and WiFi turned on, the Optiplex has only the TP Link WiFi. Still, neither Mac is showing up in either Airdrop Finder window... :(

Guest ricoc90

Hm... I just looked at it and WiFi to LAN works fine when I disable WiFi on my other hack (so with only LAN enabled)

Hack A on LAN with WiFi Disabled...

KE26qxm.png

... to Hack B on WiFi (with ethernet disconnected):

r9ZPEAL.png

When Both LAN and WiFi are connected, I can't see my other Hack in the other hack's AirDrop.

Getting a kernel panic on Optiplex 755 around the AppleAHCIPort.kext and associated dependencies

Could any expert please guide me in the right direction?

Are you using the DSDT from post #1 for Optiplex 755?

Ok, I've got a more important issue now... I updated Clover through System Preferences, and now I'm not seeing my HD as a boot option. Am I screwed? Is there any way to overwrite an older version of Clover? Is there anything I can do?

Guest ricoc90

You could plug your hd to your other Hack and install the previous Clover version over the current one. 
Or install clover to an USB drive, boot from the USB stick (always nice to have as a backup, btw) and reinstall Clover on your hd.

Question is: Why is Clover not seeing your hd...

Guest ricoc90

I'd check your config to see if everything is there. Maybe the update messed something up and/or you forgot something while reinstalling? otherwise I don't have a clue. Check for HFSPlus.efi or whatever it is called / what you were using. I haven't used Clover for a couple of years :D

Okay, here's my situation. While booted from my backup USB last night, somehow the EFI folder got corrupted. So, I created a new Install USB using the original "Idiot's Guide" from the other thread. I copied that EFI folder onto the backup USB, and it booted. So, I erased my HD, used CCC to copy the backup USB to the HD, and tried to reboot. Clover wouldn't even load. Figuring that was it, and I was going to have to do a clean install, I stuck "Install macOS Sierra" in the port, and selected "USB Device" to boot, and it loaded Sierra from the HD. I used Clover Configurator to open the EFI from the HD, and there was nothing there but an Apple folder (which I don't understand, since CCC copied over the entire backup USB). So, I copied all the contents of the EFI from "Install macOS Sierra" to the EFI partition on the HD, and tried to restart. BIOS still isn't recognizing Clover on the HD, but it's using Clover from "Install macOS Sierra" to load Sierra from the HD. What step am I missing to get the system to recognize Clover on the HD?

I created a new Install USB using the original "Idiot's Guide" from the other thread.

Link please?

I used Clover Configurator to open the EFI from the HD, and there was nothing there but an Apple folder (which I don't understand, since CCC copied over the entire backup USB).

Are you sure CCC is actually cloning the EFI partition?

AFAIK, it doesn't.

So, I copied all the contents of the EFI from "Install macOS Sierra" to the EFI partition on the HD, and tried to restart. BIOS still isn't recognizing Clover on the HD, but it's using Clover from "Install macOS Sierra" to load Sierra from the HD. What step am I missing to get the system to recognize Clover on the HD?

Since Optiplex 7xx Series doesn't have an UEFI Bios, you need to install Clover in Legacy mode hence install Boot0af (or Boot0ss) in the MBR. In other words, you need a 'boot' file at the root of the EFI partition for Clover to be recognized by the Bios and to boot macOS.

Link please?

Are you sure CCC is actually cloning the EFI partition?

AFAIK, it doesn't.

Since Optiplex 7xx Series doesn't have an UEFI Bios, you need to install Clover in Legacy mode hence install Boot0af (or Boot0ss) in the MBR. In other words, you need a 'boot' file at the root of the EFI partition for Clover to be recognized by the Bios and to boot macOS.

Here's the link... sorry about not including it. When I created the backup, CCC must have cloned the EFI partition to the backup USB, since it booted on its own... not sure whether it copied it the other way around, but why wouldn't it? So, on the HD EFI partition at the root level, there's a folder called BOOT, and inside that folder is a file called "BOOTX64.efi." On the install drive, at the root level (outside of the EFI folder) there's a text file called "boot." When I try to copy that over to the EFI partition on the HD, it tries to replace the "BOOT" folder. I installed Clover in accordance with the "Idiot's Guide."

Here's the link

Well, an "idiot guide" with more than a hundred steps is somehow… a bit complex to me :lol:.

Anyway…

When I created the backup, CCC must have cloned the EFI partition to the backup USB, since it booted on its own... not sure whether it copied it the other way around, but why wouldn't it?

You've said you only find an EFI/APPLE folder, right? That's why I think it actually didn't cloned the EFI but I maybe wrong on this.

So, on the HD EFI partition at the root level, there's a folder called BOOT, and inside that folder is a file called "BOOTX64.efi." On the install drive, at the root level (outside of the EFI folder) there's a text file called "boot." When I try to copy that over to the EFI partition on the HD, it tries to replace the "BOOT" folder. I installed Clover in accordance with the "Idiot's Guide."

No, no.

Keep in mind that :

- BOOT and CLOVER folders alone aren't just enough for Legacy boot to work (they are if an UEFI Bios is available). That's the purpose of the 'boot' file at the root of the EFI partition. And that's where it must be in order to boot in that mode.

- The 'boot' file isn't just a file that you can copy/paste. You must use Clover's installer for it to write the MBR sectors in the EFI partition. It's a process that needs to be done by the installer and you can't do it by yourself (well, not easily at least).

So here's what you need to do :

idkBGsX.png

It's in French but you get the idea ;).

• Like 1

Getting a kernel panic on Optiplex 755 around the AppleAHCIPort.kext and associated dependencies

Could any expert please guide me in the right direction?

Bios settings correct?

SATA to AHCI?

Well, an "idiot guide" with more than a hundred steps is somehow… a bit complex to me :lol:.

Anyway…

You've said you only find an EFI/APPLE folder, right? That's why I think it actually didn't cloned the EFI but I maybe wrong on this.

No, no.

Keep in mind that :

- BOOT and CLOVER folders alone aren't just enough for Legacy boot to work (they are if an UEFI Bios is available). That's the purpose of the 'boot' file at the root of the EFI partition. And that's where it must be in order to boot in that mode.

- The 'boot' file isn't just a file that you can copy/paste. You must use Clover's installer for it to write the MBR sectors in the EFI partition. It's a process that needs to be done by the installer and you can't do it by yourself (well, not easily at least).

So here's what you need to do :

idkBGsX.png

It's in French but you get the idea ;).

Thank you. Clicking "Install Clover on the ESP" is the step I was missing. Wish I had discovered that before wiping the drive... but, that's what backups are for. Thank you again... back to running perfectly.

• Like 1

Clover on the EFI (ESP) makes no sense with Optiplex. Needless and cumbersome.

I wish I was more technically-oriented, and after two Hackintoshes, I am learning at lot... but being able to replicate a recipe doesn't make me a chef. I just needed to get back to the place where the machine would boot from the HD, and now it does. I still don't understand why updating from Clover 4035 to 4061 (using the preference pane) screwed up the system in the first place...

Clover on the EFI (ESP) makes no sense with Optiplex. Needless and cumbersome.

Sorry but I disagree :).

It's not a matter of UEFI or Legacy, it's about keeping the main partition the more vanilla as possible and it's also about having better and easier management.

- Think about multibooting for instance. It's a lot easier to deal with one CLOVER folder in the ESP rather than multiples CLOVER folders at the root of every single macOS/OS X main partition.

- Think about a total re-installation of the System. Not a thing you do every day of course but having everything in the ESP means you can just erase the main partition and reboot without the need to install Clover once again. It's particularly useful when you do a Time Machine restore for example. Just boot the Recovery HD, restore your TM backup and you're done. Having Clover on the main partition means you have to boot with a USB stick (or something similar), reinstall Clover, copy/replace the EFI/CLOVER by the backup one, etc.

- Lastly, think about other OSes like Windows or Linux. Having Clover in the ESP allows you to boot these OSes in full UEFI mode rather than the Legacy mode. And since Clover prefers this way to manage multibooting, it's not a bad thing to regroup all these bootloaders in the ESP. And lastly, don't forget that UEFI/ESP install has the great benefit over Legacy/install in the main partition : it significantly reduces the risk of meeting the infamous boot issue aka "\Boot\BCD error" ;).

So I admit it's not very important and makes no real difference for the end user and I also agree that's something nobody care about.

But it's not "useless" or a non-sense. It's just the way Clover natively works :).

Here's the link... sorry about not including it. When I created the backup, CCC must have cloned the EFI partition to the backup USB, since it booted on its own... not sure whether it copied it the other way around, but why wouldn't it? So, on the HD EFI partition at the root level, there's a folder called BOOT, and inside that folder is a file called "BOOTX64.efi." On the install drive, at the root level (outside of the EFI folder) there's a text file called "boot." When I try to copy that over to the EFI partition on the HD, it tries to replace the "BOOT" folder. I installed Clover in accordance with the "Idiot's Guide."

I'm my experience, whenever I'd use CCC to clone my Mac OS partition, I always have to reinstall clover boot loader to the drive because Whenever I'd try to boot without it never boots. Since then, I've been using paragon partition manager to clone my partitions.

I like putting Clover in the ESP. If I have a complete OS X blowout, I can restore the drive from a backup, and then just boot back up without needing to find, or create a USB Drive to boot up the first time. Clover folder, config, and kexts are already on the drive.

One of my laptops has Sierra, El Capitan, and Windows 10 on it, and it seems easier to manage the multi booting with clover in the EFI. 

Same thing with my Optiplex 790 that has Sierra and Windows 10. 

I also go into clover config and in Gui section uncheck Legacy. Then when I boot up I don't have 6 or 7 drives showing on the Clover boot screen.

• Like 1

I like putting Clover in the ESP. If I have a complete OS X blowout, I can restore the drive from a backup, and then just boot back up without needing to find, or create a USB Drive to boot up the first time. Clover folder, config, and kexts are already on the drive.

One of my laptops has Sierra, El Capitan, and Windows 10 on it, and it seems easier to manage the multi booting with clover in the EFI. 

Same thing with my Optiplex 790 that has Sierra and Windows 10. 

I also go into clover config and in Gui section uncheck Legacy. Then when I boot up I don't have 6 or 7 drives showing on the Clover boot screen.

I @morpheusman  :D 

Are you doing good  ?   B) 

See my System, Optiplex 790 (DT)

system14.png  

I have 4 SSD on this Tower  :wink_anim: because I have one SSD (Sierra Macintosh-HD) ➜ to the Motherboard SATA 6 Gig,  2 SSD plug in ➜ Star Tec PCI Express SATA Controller Card 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps

pexsat10.jpg  

and other one (Windows 10) ➜ to the Syba 5.25" Bay Adapter for Slim Optical Drive 2 port USB 3.0

12-18610.jpg  

All my drive is control by one Clover EFI ESP  :wink_anim:  See my signature 

Everything works extremely well, the best PC I ever have !!!!

I boot on any OS Volumes in 4 secounds

This is my Screen VOLUMES

captu203.png

screen21.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90

Just updated to 10.12.5. Got no signal in the latest beta with my GT-710, still no signal in final. Same result with Nvidia Web Driver. However, I am able to remotely connect to my Optiplex and everything seems fine. Does somebody has any ideas?

iPlex-van-Rico:~ rico$ kextstat | grep nvidia
   72    0 0xffffff7f80f5c000 0x3000     0x3000     com.nvidia.NVDAStartupWeb (10.1.8) E249010E-3D7A-3838-93D2-9CDA9C6D4A18 <11 4 3>
   91    0 0xffffff7f81332000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup (10.1.7) 636515FB-F82D-360E-9535-6F40436455AC <11 4 3>
  103    2 0xffffff7f81593000 0x637000   0x637000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb (10.1.8) 089D0FA4-8831-3A2D-A59C-C9DB8C9383B3 <99 94 89 11 7 5 4 3 1>
  104    0 0xffffff7f81bca000 0x154000   0x154000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAGK100HalWeb (10.1.8) 1248C465-41C4-3827-BE7E-84B103E589DF <103 11 4 3>
  106    0 0xffffff7f81dad000 0xa3000    0xa3000    com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb (10.1.8) FBA4ED83-0C96-3BF3-8C9B-5B6AF9507BDE <105 103 94 89 11 7 5 4 3 1>

XOaVaKo.png

C4P1M3X.pngqHkhXgn.png

Hi all, 

I have Optiplex 755 with Q35 Chipset + ICH9DODSDT from post #1 for Optiplex 755 but I have some problems:

I can see AppleLPC.kext is loaded if I do ioreg but still get:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized
Can anyone help?  :help: