[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

@binjch

What Core2Duo? Sierra works from E7200 or later.

Bios:
Primary Video -> AUTO
SATA operation -> AHCI

Clover version currently? (3985 or higher?)

DSDT from post#1 (optimized for Core2Duo) -> EFI/CLOVER/AHCI/patched/

config.plist from post#1 (do not forget to insert new serial number) -> EFI/CLOVER/

Kext's from post#1 (10.12.zip) -> EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/

This is my XFX one HD5450:

Compare the GPU BIOS version. Newer bios versions probably do not work.

All those requirements are filled .

I have to check the bios, i'll try to flash it if applicable.

Thank you, keep you in touch.

Hi

Digging around my sleep problem, it seems that effectively it's a graphic card issue (Asus HD5450).

I have my graphic card fully working but still sleep is not working.

In dmesg I can see this line : 

PMRD: prevent idle sleep list: IODisplayWrangler- (0)

Tried different solution : 

- ATI patched dsdt with various framebuffer, actually using Shrike.

- DSDT not patched with various framebuffer and fakeid (not working at all, low resolution no QE/CI)

- DSDT not patched with no injection (to see if it could be working).

The computer don't sleep at all and display this message.

I am afraid I'm good to buy another graphic card, I think I have 99% of chance to brick it if I try to patch another bios from a XFX (for example) so I won't try.

The thing is that running linux sleep works well so I guess that's more an ATI driver issue in Sierra but it's hard to dig arround that.

Again if somebody have a magic trick, I've attached the whole CLOVER directory.

Thanks

CLOVER.zip

Hi

Could it be related to the smbios defined ?

My config.plist is forked from what is given in the first page, but those are for core2 duo processors.

The optiplex 980 is a core i5 650 CPU. I tried other alternative (iMac 10.2, macpro 4.1) but each time I loose USB (so keyboard and mouse not very common ).

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Hello,

First time I post here, I hope I will be clear! :)

I have killed my MacOS Sierra that was running on my computer about 1-2 weeks ago (prior to that I had it for almost 6 months I think). I tried different Linux and came to the conclusion that I prefer MacOS Sierra, so I planned to reinstalled it yesterday (The intro was just for letting you know that it worked already).

My CPU is a Xeon x3363 and my GPU is a Nvidia 730, that is the only diff between yours DSDT and config.plist.

My issue is that I can boot with the USB Key, complete the installation but when it's completed (it seems to be completing with some error at the end (black screen and couple of white characters that I can't read (too fast)). When I reboot the computer to finish the install, Clover is not able to locate that installation in progress.

I have no idea how to resolve it, if you can point me in the right direction it would be really awesome. I retry different config.plist (different settings, thinking I could have done an issue, generating my MLB and stuff like that) so it seems to me it's not the usb creation, nor the config.plist. I tried different clover also, search the web and the only thing I saw was something about badly formatted ESP and maybe it's the case. Could it be that the Disk Utility in installation creates a badly partitionned disk? I highly doubt that. I completely erase what was on it before proceeding to installation. I use journalized setting for the formatting in Disk Utility (no encryption, no case)

When I go to Clover BIOS (by just quitting in Clover), I can see the data laying on the EFI partition of the disk, however it seems like it's nor accessible: EFI -> macOS Install Data -> LockedFiles -> Boot Files -> boot.efi is there... is it normal I have that ?

@menardorama

For i5 CPU maybe iMac14.1 / iMac14.2 is better.
The USBInject.kext from post#1 (10.12.zip) is only for SMBIOS iMac10,1 !!!
With other types, try USBInjectAll.kext from Rehabman.

Update:

10.12.5 DP Beta 1 16F43c works   :)

@menardorama

iMac13,1 works fine on my Core i5 650 but you could try iMac11,2 which use the same socket LGA1156 and processors (i3/i5 - 5xx/6xx).

It maybe best to use a those SMBios rather than a Haswell one because of CPU PM.

Also, as MacPeet said, you'll need to edit the info.plist of the USB_Injector.kext to match the SMBios you'll choose. Providing the 980 has the same USB layout and ports type/number it should work.

And would it work under OSX with a macpro smbios ?

Take care NOT to use a MacPro3,1 SMBios. They're not supported by Sierra ;).

• Like 1

Made my 10.12.2 clone finally and tried it with the backup Optiplex 780.

It took a little time to get to the desktop but is working fine.

attachicon.gifRadeon HD6350.png

If some body is wanting to buy such a card, here it is.

Definitely not high end, but all right for the money. A DMS59 twin port cable is needed to use it though.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-6350-Low-Profile-512MB-DDR3-DMS-59-/361835553800?hash=item543f146408:g:t0AAAOSw-0xYNGoB

I am suspecting that such cards are rebranded 5450s. Same specs, same frame buffer.

The marketing guys probably just needed a higher HD6XXX number to offer their customers.

What did you do to make it work?

Just upgraded my Dell 780 from the AppStore to Sierra 10.12.4 from fully working 10.12.1. Upon booting the progress bar is slower than usual. When it finally gets to when the screen goes to the smaller apple logo booting part, the screen goes black but with backlight on monitor and thats it.

I reinstalled Sierra 10.12.1 got it fully functioning and upgraded to 10.12.4 again and got the same black screen problem.

When I boot from my Sierra USB stick into my newly updated 10.12.4 Hard Drive it boots.

Kind of at a loss here. Any ideas????? 

My Specs:

Dell 780 Mini Tower

10,1 SMBIOS

Q9400 Quad Core CPU

Asus 5450 1GB Video Card

Latest Clover v2.4 4035

Thanks for all the reply.

But taking a smbios Sierra compatible will be an issue for an old Xeon or it is not related ?

Envoyé de mon MI 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure on my computer one month ago I installed and ran Macos SIerra... Really I don't understand what's going on here. It really seems to be the ssd having issues completing the installation.

Michel

Could it be that the Disk Utility in installation creates a badly partitionned disk? I highly doubt that. I completely erase what was on it before proceeding to installation. I use journalized setting for the formatting in Disk Utility (no encryption, no case)

When I go to Clover BIOS (by just quitting in Clover), I can see the data laying on the EFI partition of the disk, however it seems like it's nor accessible: EFI -> macOS Install Data -> LockedFiles -> Boot Files -> boot.efi is there... is it normal I have that ?

Well, you shouldn't have anything else but the boot file and EFI/CLOVER folder in the EFI partition. I don't see why you have the macOS Install Data in here. It really should be on the primary partition and not in the EFI.

My guess is your disk has been wrongly partitioned.

For what it's worth, here's my advice : Instead of erasing, I suggest you totally re-partition the SSD using Disk Utility with GUID partition scheme and Mac OS journalized settings.

The most important part is GUID partition scheme and you should make the whole process inside Sierra's installer > Disk Utility, NOT with another tool like gparted or similar.

That should make things right and hopefully fix your issue.

Well, you shouldn't have anything else but the boot file and EFI/CLOVER folder in the EFI partition. I don't see why you have the macOS Install Data in here. It really should be on the primary partition and not in the EFI.

My guess is your disk has been wrongly partitioned.

For what it's worth, here's my advice : Instead of erasing, I suggest you totally re-partition the SSD using Disk Utility with GUID partition scheme and Mac OS journalized settings.

The most important part is GUID partition scheme and you should make the whole process inside Sierra's installer > Disk Utility, NOT with another tool like gparted or similar.

That should make things right and hopefully fix your issue.

I have done all my installation using the Disk Utility App in the installation boot usb. I chose my disk (not the partition), did erase everything and it seemed to be working (creating 1 partition)... I dunno what to do more, and I followed the guide given at page 20. I doubt that would be the issue.

The only thing I would see or I could think of that might have cause an issue is that my disk is already partitionned as GPT, maybe if I put it back to MBR before formatting it would actually works... I really doubt that but it's something I'm thinking...

Michel