[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed Sierra from scratch using MacPeet's instructions and files in Post #1 (was previously running Mavericks) on an Optiplex 780 SFF E8400. I think QE/CI *was* working for me as I could run Chess. It's connected to a Sony Bravia via VGA.

However, I've bought a Radeon HD 5450 like MacPeet's so I can use HDMI. I'd like to use my own DSDT file. I've created one in Linux with 

sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT >dsdt.aml

decompiled it with MaciASL and recompiled by removing some underscores.

1. Will it be in the correct format? Or should I create it with Clover's F4 function?

2. Is the HDEF patch the *only* patch that has been applied in Post #1 or do I need to apply others?

3. Can I just cut and paste the lines from the DSDT in Post #1 (i.e. section "Device (HDEF)")?

4. Why does Device (HDEF) seem to call DTGP, which I don't appear to have in my DSDT?

I've tried diffing mine with MacPeet's and there are thousands of lines different. :-/

Thanks.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hello guys. It was not so easy to install Sierra 10.12.2 on Optiplex 755, but I finally managed to finish this thing. This is my first hackintosh, which finally works and I can use everyday.

I have all of these things working :

Sound (VoodooHDA)

HD5450 1GB (DSDT)

E8400 C2D 3.0 GHz

4GB DDR2 667

500GB SEGATE SATA

Install Sierra following guide in 1 post but then use my pack for Optiplex 755.

Im using voodoohda, ive tried applehda and applealc and neither work. In VoodooHDA pack is readme file, I wrote how to remove noise and crackling in front green audio jack.

DSDT is probably form first post, but i had a lot of problems with bugs on startup, so Ive tried a lot of DSDT, this one is perfect. No bugs. Bug (cant click anything on screen) appeared only when wake from sleep, but I think its not the most important thing.

I cant remeber all of things made to config.plist, but as I say, everything is working.

With iMessage everyone knows what to do (real mac needed), if something changed pls tell me.

I attach my zip with all the files.

I used KextWizard, Clover 4003, Clover Vibrant.

Sierra Optiplex 755.zip

@karlic (780SFF)

Why do you want to create a new DSDT?
This is optimized for 780SFF with core2duo and entry PEG0 (graphic HD5450) and HDEF (LayoutID 11 (0B) for working with AppleALC).

@cisnia (755)

Your mistakes with trial_AppleALC.kext_Optiplex755.zip from Post # 1:

Set the FixHDA only if you are working without DSDT.
In the DSDT HDEF LayoutID 1 was set. I've placed on LayoutID 28 (1C).

This should work the trial_AppleALC.kext_Optiplex755.zip:

VoodooHDA and Disnabler of course delete.

FixDisplay, FixLAN and all New way fixes is not needed for Optiplex.

@MacPeet

Because I read that it's better to have a DSDT for your specific hardware. Mine is SFF yours is MT and the fact that QE/CI worked on mine makes me think there may be some significant differences.

Thank you for the DSDT. I'll have a go with that.

It does not matter whether SFF or MT.

The DSDT's work with 780/760/755 regardless of the design.
Only 790 is different.

The only difference in DSDT is the graphics of the users (HD5450, Nvidia, others ...) and ...

CPU Core2Duo or Core2Quad

post-1358580-0-92487600-1487416037.png   post-1358580-0-51684700-1487416048_thumb.png

Everything else is identical.

No, it's not that simple.

Much more is needed.
Add DTGP method, patch USB and insert EHC, patch LPC, patch SMBUS, patch SATA, patch graphics, patch HDEF for sound, Fix IRQ´s, and and and...

If you want to learn, then compare your DSDT and the finished DSDT's.
Or change a finished DSDT for your needs.

note:
I have post # 1 edited, now DSDT for C2D and C2Q available. Also added files for 755 and 790.

@MacPeet

OK, that's what I suspected. I need to get this machine back up and running so I'll go with yours and do the learning later.

One last question, should I have the BIOS set up to match the DSDT? (I've enabled virtualization and disabled parallel port, etc.)

And thank you for all the work that must have gone into sorting the DSDT. :-)

Okay. so back to trying to solve the No Video after wake from sleep problem. One card is working with a 790 Sierra Install, the other install was Yosemite on an Optiplex 780 that never had El Capitan on it. 

These Video cards were bought a little over a year apart, but this is basically what I have. Sapphire Radeon HD5450, 1GB, DDR3.

e0lh6s.jpg

Okay, so after going nuts trying different DSDT's and settings in Clover, I wondered, could the cards not be 100% identical?

So I took the Video Card from the 780 that had no video after wake from sleep in Sierra, and swapped it with the card in the 790 that had video after waking from sleep.

Booted up the 790, put the computer into sleep, then woke it up and.... No Video! Okay, tried it a couple more times, and after waking from sleep, no video. So the cards are different!

Okay, so what is the difference? I switched over to my Windows 10 partition, and used Gpuz to take a look at the cards.

Here is the card that has video when waking from sleep:

2vlnymq.gif

Shut down, swap cards, reboot. Here is the card that does not have video when waking from sleep:

25oupmb.gif

Notice any difference? The bios version is different! Hmmm, could it be that simple? 

Okay, so I used ATI Winflash, and pulled off a copy of the bios from the working card. Then swapped cards, rebooted into Windows 10,

saved a copy of the bios from the card that didn't have video after waking from sleep, and now flashed it with the bios from the card that was working.

Okay, now I rebooted into my Sierra partition on my Optiplex 790. Put the computer in sleep mode. Okay, could it really be this easy? 

I tapped the space bar on the computer, it started to wake up, and after a few seconds....... Boom, Video! :)

Okay, now take that same card and put it in my 780 with the fresh Sierra install, loaded the DSDT from Post #1. 

Booted the computer up, put it to sleep, tapped on the keyboard, and wallah!  Video!!!   :thumbsup_anim:

Bios that works:  Wakes From Sleep.zip

• Like 6

Okay. so back to trying to solve the No Video after wake from sleep problem. One card is working with a 790 Sierra Install, the other install was Yosemite on an Optiplex 780 that never had El Capitan on it. 

These Video cards were bought a little over a year apart, but this is basically what I have. Sapphire Radeon HD5450, 1GB, DDR3.

e0lh6s.jpg

Okay, so after going nuts trying different DSDT's and settings in Clover, I wondered, could the cards not be 100 identical?

So I took the Video Card that would have no video after wake fro sleep, and swapped it with the card in the 790 that had video after waking from sleep.

Booted up, put the computer into sleep, then woke it up and.... No Video! Okay, tried it a couple more times, and after waking from sleep, no video.

Okay, so what is different with these cards? I switched over to my Windows 10 partition, and used Gpuz to take a look at the cards.

Here is the card that has video upon what from sleep:

2vlnymq.gif

Shut down, swap cards, reboot. Here is the card that does not have video upon waking from sleep:

25oupmb.gif

Notice any difference? The bios version is different! Hmmm, could it be that simple? 

Okay, so I used ATI Winflash, and pulled off a copy of the bios from the working card. Then swapped cards, rebooted into Windows 10,

saved a copy of the bios from the card that didn't have video after waking from sleep, and now flashed it with the bios from the card that was working.

Okay, now I rebooted into my Sierra partition on my Optiplex 790. Put the computer in sleep mode. Okay, could it really be this easy? Holding my breath now, 

I tapped the space bar on the computer, it started to wake up, and after a view seconds....... Video! :)

Okay, now take that same card and put it in my 780 with the fresh Sierra install, loaded the DSDT from Post #1. 

Booted the computer up, put it to sleep, tapped on the keyboard, and wallah!  Video!!!   :thumbsup_anim:

I wonder know how about ASUS brand, can I use the same bios of sapphire?

New version MaciASL can be ACPI6.1, DSDT-Editor can not do this.

DSDT for Optiplex always edit with DSDT-Editor!

Update:

10.12.4 DP Beta 3 16E163f works

I can change the layout id, compile and save with MaciASL, and layout id will show 15, and sound works.

But dsdt editor will not even open that same DSDT that i just edited.

Okay, I use the DSDT with layout ID12 in DSDT editor. Change 0C to OF. Hit compile, shows a bunch of errors, click fix errors.

Save as DSDT.aml. Then try to open with DSDT editor, and it will not open?

I never could understand DSDT editing. :(

Change 0C to OF??? Change 0C to 0F (zero F) !!! 

post DSDT !

That was a Typing Error. I am changing 0C to 0F. I know hex code, but I can't type.   :lol:

If I edit with MaciASL it will work, but not open in dsdt editor. 

DSDT.aml_LayoutID12_for_try_with_trial_AppleALC_for_790.zip

Another subject, My Next Project:

I will be getting an Optiplex 990 i-5 Quad Core tomorrow! :)

I believe the 790 and 990 only have small differences, like the 760 and 780.

Optiplex 990 has a different chipset than the Optiplex 790, but came with same selection of CPU's. 990 has higher output power supply, and 990 is raid capable.

I believe it is the same Audio, and internet. Most kexts should be same.

DSDT from 790 should work, or may need small adjusting.

I have seen other reports of success with 990 using 790 clover folder.

To be continued...   :)

@polyzargone

For the old computers (Optiplex) one does not need MaciASL with ACPI6.1.

I prefer working with DSDT editor, is clearer.

Only for newer hardware I work with MacASL and ACPI6.1.

No longer necessary for Optiplex. Here nothing will change in the direction of ACPI6.1 with Optiplex.

Once edited with MaciASL, then DSDT editor no longer works.

@for all:

Here is the new AppleALC with the new Lilo.kext as a plug-in. Please report!

@polyzargone
For the old computers (Optiplex) one does not need MaciASL with ACPI6.1.
I prefer working with DSDT editor, is clearer.
Only for newer hardware I work with MacASL and ACPI6.1.
No longernecessary for Optiplex. Here nothing will change in the direction of ACPI6.1 with Optiplex.
Once edited with MaciASL, then DSDT editor no longer works.

I agree :).

There's no need to use MaciASL with builtin ACPI 6.1 for Optiplex Series.

But in fact, the MaciASL available at sourceforge comes with the old ACPI 4, 5 and 5.1 built in so unless you really want to use MaciASL with built in ACPI 6.1 (such as the one available from RehabMan), you'll be fine with it :).

dsdt editor is an old Java-based software :o and it lacks cool features like Patched sources repository for example. I see no reason to use it anymore by now.

Just saying :D

• Like 3

Well Check It Out!!!!!   :)

Got my Optiplex 990 today. I made an image of my 790 Hard Drive, and put it on the 990. 

Installed Clover, and deleted the EFI/Clover Folder and copied over my 790 Clover Folder.

Booted the Optiplex 990 up and ..... BOOM!!!!!    :thumbsup_anim:

Everything works! Internet, Bluetooth, Sleep, Wake from sleep. Even Sound with MacPeet's AppleALC.kext works!  :yes:

MacPeet, add another Model to the Title of the Thread. lol

Optiplex (790) (990)   :P

This one : Optiplex 990, i5-2400 Quad-Core 3.1GHZ

ancwuo.png

• Like 4