AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

Maybe a clean install will solve your issue and remember you shouldn't inject ATI or any framebuffer and/or connector patches remove those settings if they are already in your config.

Thanks.

I tried even with CSM enable and disable, Peg, Auto. 

I have a very - very - clean install. Confyg sys with nothing.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, I tried putting Lilu and Whatever into kext clover folder 10.12 and after, into Others.

Thanks.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, I tried putting Lilu and Whatever into kext clover folder 10.12 and after, into Others.

By clean install I mean reinstalling macOS with the new kexts. Once you install macOS it builds caches for each kexts that loads when you boot macOS, some times kext and kernel cache clean up helps but from what I experienced with my 7790 it only worked when I reinstalled macOS from scratch. But in your case it might be the R9 390X because I know one other person whom has some problems with his R9 390X. So maybe the devs will fix the issue in their next release.

But if you are up to the task you can give the clean install a shot on a spare HDD. It's up to you :)

• Like 1

Thanks.

Did you try putting them in System/Library/Extensions folder on main drive as well? I put them there and in clover 10.12 and other folders. Also, did you open the lilukext.Sym file? When I did it ran in terminal and then did a reboot and it worked after that.

By clean install I mean reinstalling macOS with the new kexts. Once you install macOS it builds caches for each kexts that loads when you boot macOS, some times kext and kernel cache clean up helps but from what I experienced with my 7790 it only worked when I reinstalled macOS from scratch. But in your case it might be the R9 390X because I know one other person whom has some problems with his R9 390X. So maybe the devs will fix the issue in their next release.

But if you are up to the task you can give the clean install a shot on a spare HDD. It's up to you :)

When I first installed I chose the lilukext.Sym and it opened "Terminal" and then did a reboot. I tired again and placed the kexts first then opened lilukext.Sym it opened Terminal but didn't run any script however it did reboot. It worked both times I tried it.

• Like 1

Not working with XFX RX 460 2G (with CSM or not, helper or not and etc, tried everything). Just don't buy XFX brand in any situation. 

p.s. Wrote a letter to XFX, they told me about RMA and that they don't have RX 460 atm, so can't test it. Seller as expected declined RMA (with windows it working). Support walking circles with RMA through seller. A perfect circle. 

Just don't buy XFX. 

not me but freezes in general are from bad ram/psu/fakesmc plugins/bad kext or ssd needs firmware update and some ssd do not need trim as it will cause freezes check manufacture website for details

Not working with XFX RX 460 2G (with CSM or not, helper or not and etc, tried everything). Just don't buy XFX brand in any situation. 

p.s. Wrote a letter to XFX, they told me about RMA and that they don't have RX 460 atm, so can't test it. Seller as expected declined RMA (with windows it working). Support walking circles with RMA through seller. A perfect circle. 

Just don't but XFX. 

XFX RX 470, 480 work very well.     The XFX RX 460 is whole other animal.   If you buy it new and register it within 30 days it has a lifetime warranty.

My XFX RX 480s reference 8gb models have worked since September of 2016 in Sierra betas.    

post-1753549-0-13999800-1501550429_thumb.png

• Like 2

Mork,

Can you post the exact line of code in the AMD9500Controller.kext that you mention here.  I have looked for this part# check in the code but do not see anything that might be doing what you suggest.

There seems to be a new checkroutine within AMD9500Controller: it checks for the Part# of the installed AMD card.

If it finds this value for Part#: 113-4E3531U or 113-4E353BU , than it sets "Radeon RX 580" as modelname and chooses "Orinoco" (which will match perfectly for RX480!) instead of "AMD,RadeonFramebuffer" as its related framebuffer.

Thats because Apples eGPU kit contains Sapphire AMD RX 580 PULSE as their bundled cards. You can check this with this patch within CLOVER:

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>Part#_Patch</string>
	<key>Disabled</key>
	<false/>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>MTEzLTRFMzUzQlU=</data>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AMD9500Controller</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>MTEzLVNFMzY2QVU=</data>
</dict>

! You will have to replace the "Replace" value with Part# of your card. The one in the example above is my Part# !

To find out your part#, boot CLOVER with "Inject ATI = FALSE" and note your Partnumber.

This will give you:

ScreenShot2017-06-11at21.42.47.png

ScreenShot2017-06-11at22.14.30.png

Did you try putting them in System/Library/Extensions folder on main drive as well? I put them there and in clover 10.12 and other folders. Also, did you open the lilukext.Sym file? When I did it ran in terminal and then did a reboot and it worked after that.

When I first installed I chose the lilukext.Sym and it opened "Terminal" and then did a reboot. I tired again and placed the kexts first then opened lilukext.Sym it opened Terminal but didn't run any script however it did reboot. It worked both times I tried it.

I didn't try that before and because I use an old PC which doesn't have iGPU and didn't even had an OS installed I just clean installed the macOS. but thanks for the info I will try that the next time I try to activate an AMD GPU which already has macOS installed.

@ Gigamaxx

Thanks for the input, in a couple of hours I will try your suggestions.

Can you post the luxmark ball scene of 460? with the value it's ok. No necesary upload the image.

My Gigabyte RX 460 4gb just did a 6399 in Lexmark ball in High Sierra Pentium G3258 with the lilu and green kexts.  My best score was around 6900 in Sierra with an i5 6500 CPU.    

• Like 1

XFX RX 470, 480 work very well.     The XFX RX 460 is whole other animal.   If you buy it new and register it within 30 days it has a lifetime warranty.

My XFX RX 480s reference 8gb models have worked since September of 2016 in Sierra betas.    

yes, 470 and 480 even from XFX working, but 460 or 560 for some reason just dont. thought im so dumb that cant make it work, but i found people who gave me xfx rx460, xfx rx560 and gigabyte rx 460. Gigabyte working OOB, just plug and go with helper, with patch - plug ang go, but XFX variants for some reason just don't. XFX support saying that they can RMA on same model (or rx560 i assume) but this won't make it work.
For now in place where i live hard to buy something powerfull, because it's still overpriced AF.

Okay thanks I'm in 10.12.6 :/ it seems that there is some throttle in open gl apps. No way to redownload 12.5?

I'm also on ryzen

We need a new Kernel for 10.12.6 

Check your purchased apps in the AppStore, if you have downloaded a previuos version of MacOS it should be there.

Sorry if it's off-topic but it's worth to share

Ok guys It's official; after doing some more tests and adjustments now I have sleep and HDMI audio without any helper card and no iGPU on legacy BIOS.

Specs:

GA-EP45-DS3R

Core 2 Duo E8400

Sapphire Radeon HD 7790

How did you get HDMI audio going? On my RX460 I get low pitch sound that sounds slow motion when using Toleda's HDMI tool.

How did you get HDMI audio going? On my RX460 I get low pitch sound that sounds slow motion when using Toleda's HDMI tool.

I use AppleALC.kext+Lilu.kext to activate the Audio and I just use the SSDT file which Toleda's tool provided.

Some good news for Vega 56 if it really is true. Beating the 1070?

Here's a quote.

As you can see, the Radeon RX Vega 56 is quite the potent monster at $399... where it not only trades blows with the GeForce GTX 1070, but slaps it around considerably. It looks like we can expect the RX Vega 56 to be a huge 32% faster than the GTX 1070 in BF1 at 1440p.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwicz7L9trvVAhUIrVQKHd4-AEIQqOcBCAswAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tweaktown.com%2Fnews%2F58635%2Famd-radeon-rx-vega-56-leaked-benchmarks-gtx-1070-killer%2Findex.html&usg=AFQjCNEAVH3ashWRtGPuJ_MYYdCtc8EAOA

Whatevergreen.kext just got update to v1.02 which:

• Added basic automatic HDMI audio correction

may be try that version ?

Pretty promising stuff. Unfortunately it didn't fix my issue with low pitch sound, but nice to see it's on the radar. This method replaces my previous HDMI patch (no peg0 SSDT patch required anymore).