AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

Boot to black screen is over for AMD GPUs

Thanks to @vit9696 and @vandroiy2012 with the new Lilu.kext v1.1.6 and WhateverGreen.kext v.1.0.0 now we can use AMD GPUs without the need of a helper card.

:frantics:  :yes:

Hey mate, has this been proved and tested extensively ? On a dual Sandy Xeon here and if this is true then I would jump on AMD card instantly (since they are more optimised for the system).

Hey mate, has this been proved and tested extensively ? On a dual Sandy Xeon here and if this is true then I would jump on AMD card instantly (since they are more optimised for the system).

Hi there,

It's just been release recently and so far I tested it on my old Sapphire HD 7790 and it works completely ok. Full acceleration and correct vram and ID detected. soon more people will test it and we will know for sure.

But from what I know with my previous experience on Lilu for nVidia I'm pretty positive that it will work flawlessly thanks to @vi9696 and @vandroiy2012 :)

@cyberdevs

I will test my amd 390x, that now I have working beautifull with black screen at boot in 10.12.6

Where I have to put the kext, please? Clover or Library?

Thank you.

I put them inside the clover folder /EFI/Clover/kext/10.12 this is just the start and all of the AMP GPUs might not be supported, At least Not Yet.

Try without Inject ATI=True

• Like 1

Tried with no luck, 10.12.6 black screen right before the login, 10.12.5 booting fine till desktop but there isn't acceleration.

As far as I read about it the CSM must be disabled, not injection is required

That's wierd, It should have worked specially on the Polaris cards!

The initial posts were about the Polaris and I wasn't sure that it would even work on my old 7790 GPU.

see this FAQ page  and check these posts: here and here

@Ciro82

I did some more tests.

First of all, what I forgot to tell you is that I made a clean install of macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and I have a SSDT-HDMI-AMD-PEGP@1.aml which I created with the Toleda's CloverHDMI-Audio command a while back. When I removed it and rebooted the system I got the black screen again and even with the USB disk that has the SSDT-HDMI-AMD in the patched folder I still get the black screen.

So I decided to reinstall macOS once more and now it's in progress. So I guess the SSDT.aml is a crucial part of the solution. There is a topic in the FAQ section of the WahteverGreen.kext for creating the SSDT for the GPU.

I will keep you posted.

• Like 2

Update:

Ok, after another clean install with the SSDT-HDMI.... it is working. I have Sleep working, I don't have HDMI Audio support. at least not yet.

So my conclusion is the you need to have the SSDT and you might need to run a kextcache, kernelcache clean up before rebooting the system. That might do the trick.

But since I don't have any Polaris GPU at my disposal I can only speculate that it might work for you as well.

• Like 1

I think it's a Kernel issue, since i'm on Ryzen... Lilu.kext acts on the Kernel, so it might be the problem... 

I'll do more tests tho

It might be, but from what I've learned so far the slightest change in the config.plist or the SSDT-HDMI will result in the black screen upon reboot.

I even tried to remove the caches manually from other bootable devices and it doesn't work.

SO PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION.

Well, won't be able to buy any RX 480/580 for now... they are all out of stock from everywhere due to miners purchasing them like crazy at the moment... sucks bad

Miners are the gamers plague :D

• Like 1

Just awesome! 

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 fully working Amd Fury! Without iGPU helper....No more black screen issue  :yes:

Put WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext (1.1.6) to EFI/Clover/Kext/Other folder, and you ready to GO!

Boot arguments -liludbg -raddbg -radbeta

Bios settings at my Asus B150I Pro: Advanced/Primary Dispaly= Auto and iGPU Multi-Monitor=Disable

I also tested sleep mode and fully working so far....

post-2200747-0-26599600-1501250677_thumb.jpg

post-2200747-0-91998400-1501250680_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry if it's off-topic but it's worth to share

Ok guys It's official; after doing some more tests and adjustments now I have sleep and HDMI audio without any helper card and no iGPU on legacy BIOS.

Specs:

GA-EP45-DS3R

Core 2 Duo E8400

Sapphire Radeon HD 7790

• Like 2

Amazing work finally!, thank you !! ATI cards without helper card :)

I've just installed 10.12.6 on my hack X99 RX480 8gb. Downloaded Combo update from Apple website, only thing I changed was in clover I had two entries to force kexts to load (two ati drivers). I deleted those.

Put WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext to EFI/Clover/Kext/10.12 folder.

Changed bios so it boots from PCIe slot 1 (ATI RX480 8gb) before had it set to PCIe slot 2 (Nvidia 710).

The only thing my screen colour is messed up but fixes itself when I get to the login screen, cards are correctly identified in system profiler as a 480/575 8gb (is there even a 575 available?)

post-91745-0-60795900-1501294287_thumb.jpgpost-91745-0-43589100-1501294374_thumb.jpg

Just awesome! 

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 fully working Amd Fury! Without iGPU helper....No more black screen issue  :yes:

Put WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext (1.1.6) to EFI/Clover/Kext/Other folder, and you ready to GO!

Boot arguments -liludbg -raddbg -radbeta

Bios settings at my Asus B150I Pro: Advanced/Primary Dispaly= Auto and iGPU Multi-Monitor=Disable

I also tested sleep mode and fully working so far....

Can you make luxmark ball scene test? thank you!

No change for AMD 390X with the kext.

Black creen at boot.

But 50% more power than rx 580 8gb

Maybe a clean install will solve your issue and remember you shouldn't inject ATI or any framebuffer and/or connector patches remove those settings if they are already in your config.

• Like 1