El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

I just got a reply from Gigabyte (that was quick!), they just pointed me a new beta bios with instructions to flash- load bios defaults - not to overclock. I'll try it later but I doubt it would make any difference..

Good news john_s, Let us know how it works out, and which BIOS version did they gave you because I'm using beta BIOS f5h and it didn't solve the problem for me.

Hi kenmadsen,

I'm glad you found this topic useful. :)

If you are using BearExtender UI you can save your wifi connection as a favorite connection which loads by default everytime your system starts and after a few seconds it will connect automatically.

Hi,

I have a GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 and I'm trying to install the El Capitan 10.11.3. I've used a few of the EFI files from this thread and I'm stuck at this every time. I'm using the on board Intel HD Graphics 530. The CPU is a i7-6700k.

Any idea how to pass over this?

Thanks.

screenshot.png

Hi,

I have a GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 and I'm trying to install the El Capitan 10.11.3. I've used a few of the EFI files from this thread and I'm stuck at this every time. I'm using the on board Intel HD Graphics 530. The CPU is a i7-6700k.

Thanks.

Have you followed my instructions? Did you set your bios settings right? and have set this flag inject intel under graphics section in your config.plist?

Good news john_s, Let us know how it works out, and which BIOS version did they gave you because I'm using beta BIOS f5h and it didn't solve the problem for me.

Hi kenmadsen,

I'm glad you found this topic useful. :)

If you are using BearExtender UI you can save your wifi connection as a favorite connection which loads by default everytime your system starts and after a few seconds it will connect automatically.

I'm using the BearExtender UI, the M24 version, i don't see any favourites, only profiles, which i have to activate my self. actually i first have to make a dummy profile and cancel it for the saved profiles to show up. Should i use the even older and not recommended version instead?

They sent me the f5p, before they sent the f5x I can't figure out what kind of numbering they're using! If you want to try, I can upload them.

@kenmadsen

I used BearExtender-5.4 and it was pretty compatible with my older D-Link DWA 125 usb adapter until recently that I upgraded my system and OS but I'm not sure if that's compatible with El Capitan.

@john_s

Have you tested it yet?

That would be great if you do so.

As you know I have a Gaming 5 motherboard and you have a Gaming 3, although they are pretty similar but I'm afraid it's not gonna work so well on my computer so I'm not going to flash my motherboard with it, but in the meanwhile I will study it and see what they changed in f5x version.

Thanks a lot though :)

@cyberdevs

Hello again, now is everything working - including sleep etc., everything :3, except sound.

I was using your default settings with toledos' patch applied and I had no sound devices.

Then I've tried voodoohda however I had a igain bug. I tried to fix it modifying info.plist and set igain to 0. Did not work :/ Then I deleted AppleHDADisabler kext from extensions. No noise but sound only from front panel.

The strangest thing is that even if I delete all of the appleHDA patches from config.plist in clover and realtekALC kext in clover/kexts/Other the voodoohdasettingloader app just do not want to open. Even after I added it to login items it is constantly asking me if I want to open this app for the first time.

I've also tried to set different id's in clover audio (1, 2 or 3) and also disable resetHDA option.

Nothing of this resulted in both front and back panel working without iGain issue :/

Any suggestions ?

Hi,

Thanks.

pitysoft - it looks like you forgot to disable Serial Port in BIOS, its hidden under a sub-menu.

@kenmadsen

I used BearExtender-5.4 and it was pretty compatible with my older D-Link DWA 125 usb adapter until recently that I upgraded my system and OS but I'm not sure if that's compatible with El Capitan.

Tried BearExtender 5.4, it didn't work, perhaps because this particular model (ASUS USB-AC51) is dual channel? anyways using the ASUS utility now which is clearly based on the M24 version, which does not seem to auto connect :(

anonshin,

In order to make sure voodoohdasettingloader.app to load you have to find it in your application folder and right click on it an then choose open, that's because of the GateKeeper feature in mac os x.

make sure all the AppleHDA fixes are removed from the config.plist and install the latest version which I believe is 2.8.8 V3 and set layout ID to 1. the only patch you're gonna need is a DSDT patch under ACPI section for renaming HDAS to HDEF find 48444153 and replace with 48444546 and make sure to set kext-dev-mode=1 and rootless=0

@kenmadsen,

You're dual channel capability has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, all you are gonna need is to have the compatible kext for your network adapter in your S/L/E folder and bear extender should be able to connect.

Send me a screenshot of your bearextender window and let me see what's wrong. send me a picture of every available tab in the app.

They sent me the f5p, before they sent the f5x I can't figure out what kind of numbering they're using! If you want to try, I can upload them.

Hi John,

If i understand correct, you already tested f5p a while ago but it didnt work. And have only just received this f5x brand new.

Perhaps Gigabyte will also send me an f5x too / similar in due course (on my own eSupport ticket). However if they dont then yeah would really appreciate if can please upload it somewhere online.

No need to upload both of them, just the most recent one. And no need to upload if you already tested and it didn't work. Or else did not notice any other new features.

Many thanks.

No, they first send the f5x and now the new f5p! Sorry I tested but problem NOT solved. I believe they'll send you the same bios. I think Ill open a ticket to clover

I just rolled back to f5x, apart from losing all my OC profiles, I had an issue with the back usb DAC ports not getting power, so I ended up with the still beta F5x

• Like 1

Cyberdevs,

I did exactly what you have told me to and now I can control voodooHDA, however back is still not working. When I set gain to maximum I can hear that there is a signal coming through but it with no audio.... if I set gain to max and play something it sounds as if it was back channel of surround. Headphones jack in front panel is working just fine.

Another thing that caught my eye.... I cannot disable DSP in BIOS. There is no DSP option to change.

kenmadesn,

Have you tested asus's original installer for mac os x?

here is the link:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC51/HelpDesk_Download/

Cyberdevs,

I did exactly what you have told me to and now I can control voodooHDA, however back is still not working. When I set gain to maximum I can hear that there is a signal coming through but it with no audio.... if I set gain to max and play something it sounds as if it was back channel of surround. Headphones jack in front panel is working just fine.

Another thing that caught my eye.... I cannot disable DSP in BIOS. There is no DSP option to change.

In Mac OS open system preferences and select sound, select output and change "Select a device for sound output: Line-out (Green Rear) and see if it works. and from "Sound Effects" you can also chose the ports for playback the audio.

kenmadesn,

Have you tested asus's original installer for mac os x?

here is the link:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC51/HelpDesk_Download/

I'm running the original kext from asus, now running the original ui as well which bears extreme resemblance to the BearExtender version m24. it does not automatically connect, but i can live with that better than not having any wifi connection :) as stated BearExtender 5.4 was able to see my AP, but always failed to connect.

ALL of them have one thing in common (both the old version and the newer version and the asus one.. I have to start adding a dummy entry in order for my previous saved favourite / profile to be seen in the list (which leads me to believe the asus and bear extender use the same user interface.

I know 

I'm running the original kext from asus, now running the original ui as well which bears extreme resemblance to the BearExtender version m24. it does not automatically connect, but i can live with that better than not having any wifi connection :) as stated BearExtender 5.4 was able to see my AP, but always failed to connect.
ALL of them have one thing in common (both the old version and the newer version and the asus one.. I have to start adding a dummy entry in order for my previous saved favourite / profile to be seen in the list (which leads me to believe the asus and bear extender use the same user interface.

I know how annoying this can be, I had the same problem with my older setup until I found BearExtender which solved my problem, but you're right having a wifi connection with the cost of connecting it manually everytime the system starts is worth it until you find a better solution. But if you are considering to change your network adapter I will definitely recommend TP-Link WND4800 because it's natively supported by mac os x and you can even use airdrop.

I know 

I know how annoying this can be, I had the same problem with my older setup until I found BearExtender which solved my problem, but you're right having a wifi connection with the cost of connecting it manually everytime the system starts is worth it until you find a better solution. But if you are considering to change your network adapter I will definitely recommend TP-Link WND4800 because it's natively supported by mac os x and you can even use airdrop.

I'll keep that one in mind for when i want to update, thanks! :)

Hi all, 

First of all a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far! It's really awesome!

I have the gaming 3, just like Majonez and everything seems to be working so far, with a gtx 970 4GB and 16GB (2x8GB DDR4 3000) corsair memory.

I have something funny going on though. Only in OSX does my PSU make a whining, squealing noise.

I read that I should change the CPU vcore from auto to the value that it shows. However, when I do that, it gives me a KP on login.

EDIT:

The Vcore that shows is 1.180V, which gives me a KP.

However, under MIT I saw that the mobo's vcore was only 1.165, so I set it to 1.165 and it booted up and no squealing noise! :D

Hi all, 

First of all a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far! It's really awesome!

I have the gaming 3, just like Majonez and everything seems to be working so far, with a gtx 970 4GB and 16GB (2x8GB DDR4 3000) corsair memory.

I have something funny going on though. Only in OSX does my PSU make a whining, squealing noise.

I read that I should change the CPU vcore from auto to the value that it shows. However, when I do that, it gives me a KP on login.

EDIT:

The Vcore that shows is 1.180V, which gives me a KP.

However, under MIT I saw that the mobo's vcore was only 1.165, so I set it to 1.165 and it booted up and no squealing noise! :D

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

pitysoft - it looks like you forgot to disable Serial Port in BIOS, its hidden under a sub-menu.

Hi dreamcat4,

You were right, I forgot to disable the serial port in bios. But this didn't fix the Bluetooth problem. I solved it by inserting a USB Bluetooth adapter and I manage to pass that error.

I manage to make everything to work, except the dual monitors over DisplayPort. They are working in mirroring if I use the Intel HD 530 onboard video. But with Nvidia GTX 970 I have a black screen.

Also I can report that I have the same issue with multiple boot options in bios.

Marius

Hi dreamcat4,

You were right, I forgot to disable the serial port in bios. But this didn't fix the Bluetooth problem. I solved it by inserting a USB Bluetooth adapter and I manage to pass that error.

I manage to make everything to work, except the dual monitors over DisplayPort. They are working in mirroring if I use the Intel HD 530 onboard video. But with Nvidia GTX 970 I have a black screen.

Also I can report that I have the same issue with multiple boot options in bios.

Marius

For me to fix the black screen with web drivers i had to edit a kext. Copy it from system -> library -> extensions -> AppleGraphicsControl.kext to the desktop then right click it then show package contents, open contents folder then plugins folder then right click AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext to show contents, open contents folder then right click on info.plist and open with "other" and choose textedit, scroll down to<key>ConfigMap</key> and find your "mac" key and change the <string> to none like this

Before

<key>Mac-42FD25EABCABB274</key>

<string>Config2</string>

After

<string>none</string>

Reinstall kext with Kext Utility then reboot with nvda_drv=1

Give that a try

• Like 2

For me to fix the black screen with web drivers i had to edit a kext. Copy it from system -> library -> extensions -> AppleGraphicsControl.kext to the desktop then right click it then show package contents, open contents folder then plugins folder then right click AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext to show contents, open contents folder then right click on info.plist and open with "other" and choose textedit, scroll down to<key>ConfigMap</key> and find your "mac" key and change the <string> to none like this

Before

<string>Config2</string>

After

<string>none</string>

Reinstall kext with Kext Utility then reboot with nvda_drv=1

Give that a try

Thanks a lot, I managed to make it run. I also had to move the DisplayPort cable in another DisplayPort.

* Duplicated UEFI Boot Entries Bug is not unique to Clover

* It can be reproduced with other bootloaders

Today I have developed a method that:

* Can reproduce this bug with PASSMARK Memtext x86 6.2 Free Edition

* Full instructions here:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f5b09529f279348ac6e6

* Information has been passed to Gigabyte eSupport.

* I have asked them to reproduce it with Memtest x86.

Please be aware:

It is one thing to reproduce this BIOS bug reliably (not simple). However it is entirely another task to track down, and try to really solve the problem. Hopefully Gigabyte can start towards that goal once they can reproduce in their own labs.

• Like 1

I have found another application for those whom have Windows Installed on their computers to manage the UEFI entries.

It's called VisualBCD and can be downloaded at: https://www.boyans.net

It is similar to EasyUEFI and works on Windows 10 Enterprise edition as well, unlike EasyUEFI's free version which can't operate on Windows 10 Enterprise version.

I'm not sure if it could solve the multiple entries building up in the BIOS but I tested it on another system which has a Dual Boot capacities with Mac OS X El Capitan and Windows 10 Enterprise version on a single hard disk and it's really easy to use. This system doesn't have the bug with multiple entries maybe because it has an older version of UEFI BIOS.

Since I don't have Windows on my GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 to test it and see if it could remove the multiple entries for good or not for those whom have access to windows on their buggy systems is worth a shot.

Maybe I install windows on my system later and give it a test myself but for now test it if you are interested and post your results.

Cheers