El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

@cyberdevs and others: Just wanted to let you guys know that I upgraded to a 6600K CPU and Corsair H100i GTX. Successfully running the CPU at 4.4GHz on El Capitan. The switch proved costly, but I hope it will be worth it in the long run.

Holding off updating to OS X 10.11.4 until you guys confirm its working fine for you

Congrats! I have the same cpu running on air cooling @4.4 with no problems! The hard thing starts when you want to go beyond 4.4. You could have saved some money with air cooling. Nevertheless, enjoy your new cpu!

Thanks for confiming cyberdevs. That it is indeed nvidia drivers issue.

The hard thing starts when you want to go beyond 4.4.

This is very true. What worked for me:

* Set cpu voltage at or above 1.350 volts

* Set a lower rung bus / uncore multiplier than the CPU mult. Mine was 43.

Below 1.35v, my system was unstable. And would always crash < 24 hours. Above 1.35v, system remains stable for 2 weeks (or longer).

[EDIT]

Also:

* Have AHEM, read on other forum:

That now with 11.4 update perhaps we dont need to switch of AIOPIC (whateer its called) entries in BIOS. Which is good news.

Hahaha. It looks like everyone here is waiting for someone else to try and install OS X 10.11.4  on their Hackintosh. :P

@john_s @dreamcat4: Possible, but going above 4.4GHz is hardly going to make any visible difference in my video editing work. For now, I am super happy with the performance of the CPU in video rendering. Maybe a year down the line or when I get a 4K camera, I will try and push the CPU further. 

Hahaha. It looks like everyone here is waiting for someone else to try and install OS X 10.11.4  on their Hackintosh. :P

Hi. From other forum comment:

> I was rendered unbootable and was able to fix with OsxAptioFix2drv AND updating Clover to r3354. I highly recommend doing these things before the update.

* So  we shouuld do BOTH those things first.

* Plus any special consideration for non-Intel GPUs (NVIDIA or AMD).

There isnt really much other known issues to worry about.

[EDIT] ALSO:

> "Apple only put the new IGPU drivers in the final release of 10.11.4. Nothing new in betas."

> "Intel HD 530 (Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB 1536 MB) works good except dual monitors. If I connect 2 monitors (DVI and HDMI) only one of them gets signal and there are only artifacts on the screen."

:thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim: Success!!! All went fine! For my hack (check my sig) i only applied the update from app store. No clover modifications whatsoever or adding new drivers to efi folder. But thats just me. Everything works as it should. I didn't have time to check for IGPU working or not. Sound works as sleep and restart also. 

No problem dreamcat4 :)

The reason that I'm not able to install the update is because I'm on a trip and I have no access to my computer not because I'm waiting for someone else to do it first :)

But it's always good to hear from you guys :)

Hi again. I found some new infos about Duplicate boot entries bug today:

* Bug does not require 2 multiple ESP / multiple HDDs (for example Windows dual-boot)

* Bug does not require SATA connection. Well not for passmark memtest x86 disk image. Which can be reproduced with USB 2.0 HDD protable drive.

* Bug does not go away if is disabled the Clover boot entries scanning. That setting has no impact.

* Bug does not occur on grub UEFI / ubuntu linux.

Somehow Grub is recognized as special 'ubuntu' boot entry, just like windows is. Where-as the bug somehow manifest in presense of not-identified 'UEFI: ' boot entries. New information is already passed to Gigabyte.

However if you are also being affected as newer skylake* gigabyte user, then I urge you to also all re-file each 1 new bug report with the Gigabyte's eSupport ticketing system. Many thanks.

* for any Z170, H170, or H110 gigabyte series motherboards.

No problem dreamcat4 :)

The reason that I'm not able to install the update is because I'm on a trip and I have no access to my computer not because I'm waiting for someone else to do it first :)

But it's always good to hear from you guys :)

I've updated to 11.4 without any problem. But the reboot / shutdown issue is still there!!! ...  :wallbash:

Any clue? ... does anybody know how to create a log of the shutdown process? 

what makes me really angry is that this issue is random ... so it's related to something that I cannot identify ... 

here goes nothing.. updating at the moment :)

Seems it went ok, forgot the nvidia config fix so booted to black screen, still have this insane boot time after i added the fix shutdown though. I'm sure my ssd drive should be faster than the aftermarket OC ssd i threw into my old 2011 27"iMac and that one boots super fast.. oh well at least i don't have to boot often ;)

here goes nothing.. updating at the moment :)

Seems it went ok, forgot the nvidia config fix so booted to black screen, still have this insane boot time after i added the fix shutdown though. I'm sure my ssd drive should be faster than the aftermarket OC ssd i threw into my old 2011 27"iMac and that one boots super fast.. oh well at least i don't have to boot often ;)

Ok i should learn to shut up, everything worked fine with the nvidia driver for 10.11.4, but i didn't have hdmi 2560x1440 on my secondary monitor, so i applied the

Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-v2 (new version available) and now i boot to black screen, even with the changes done for AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext :( 

Also appears my sound is missing. should never have updated ;)

I talk too soon:

HELP!!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

AUDIO GET DISTORTED under iTunes after 3 minutes of playing ... after having upgraded to 11.4 !!!

tried re-applying Toleda patch --> nothing!
tried revert to 11.3 AppleHDA --> nothing!
tried removing CodecCommander --> nothing!

Audio is NOT distorted in youtube under Safari, though. Machine in signature ... GA Z170X Gaming 5, i7-6700K, Nvidia GFX 950  .

Hi again. I found some new infos about Duplicate boot entries bug today:

* Bug does not require 2 multiple ESP / multiple HDDs (for example Windows dual-boot)

* Bug does not require SATA connection. Well not for passmark memtest x86 disk image. Which can be reproduced with USB 2.0 HDD protable drive.

* Bug does not go away if is disabled the Clover boot entries scanning. That setting has no impact.

* Bug does not occur on grub UEFI / ubuntu linux.

Somehow Grub is recognized as special 'ubuntu' boot entry, just like windows is. Where-as the bug somehow manifest in presense of not-identified 'UEFI: ' boot entries. New information is already passed to Gigabyte.

However if you are also being affected as newer skylake* gigabyte user, then I urge you to also all re-file each 1 new bug report with the Gigabyte's eSupport ticketing system. Many thanks.

* for any Z170, H170, or H110 gigabyte series motherboards.

This issue seems to be resolved for me after upgrading to F5 BIOS on Gaming 5 mobo.

Hi everyone :)

Lots of useful info

For those with audio problem as I mentioned in my earliest posts in this topic I had the same problem with Toledo's script so I switched to voodooHDA and it works just fine with Mac OS updates all you have to do is to adjust the igain mixer to avoid the hissing sound.

I wish if I could test the 10.11.4 update and see the new changes but I guess when I get back from my trip you all debugged all the problems in Mac OS 10.11.4 or even 10.11.5 :D

Cheers everybody

This issue seems to be resolved for me after upgrading to F5 BIOS on Gaming 5 mobo.

Hmm. I retested the latest BIOS for Gaming 3 just yesterday (F6). It has not resolve the problem. (the Gaming 3 equiv. is its newest 'F6' bios).

What would be great is if others with the same Gaming 5 mobo here could please also try too (upgrading to latest BIOS, and re-test). Just to make sure we know either way. Many thanks.

After a few hundred reboots, some magic and some things I'm not even sure about, everything is working again!

And during my investigations I got a theory of why my machine is so dog slow at booting..

When booting in verbose, my screen is FILLED with:

kernel[0]: MT=>Free:bEndMLMEEvent = 0, bEndControlEvent = 0, bEndBulkOutDataEvent = 0, bEndDequeuePacketEvent = 0, bEndLoadFWEvent = 1, bOnAsicSwitchChannel = 0, bOnMlmeHandler = 0

​when opening /var/log/system.log there is literally over 100k entries of that, or:

Mar 23 12:26:30 nineofnine kernel[0]: MT=>Free:bEndMLMEEvent = 0, bEndControlEvent = 0, bEndBulkOutDataEvent = 0, bEndDequeuePacketEvent = 0, bEndLoadFWEvent = 1, bOnAsicSwitchChannel = 0, bOnMlmeHandler = 0

Mar 23 12:27:00 --- last message repeated 5157 times ---

any ideas?

Edit: so apparently it was my RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext that was doing the spewing. Good thing I ordered that TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual-band which is on its way :)

I talk too soon:

HELP!!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

AUDIO GET DISTORTED under iTunes after 3 minutes of playing ... after having upgraded to 11.4 !!!

tried re-applying Toleda patch --> nothing!

tried revert to 11.3 AppleHDA --> nothing!

tried removing CodecCommander --> nothing!

Audio is NOT distorted in youtube under Safari, though. Machine in signature ... GA Z170X Gaming 5, i7-6700K, Nvidia GFX 950  .

Are you only having the issue with iTunes? mine gets distorted in VLC as well

EDIT: seems safari is ok as long as i don't use sound flower and audio midi setup to aggregate the sound (which i really need for OBS Studio).