El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

Another tip: if have accidentally also deleted the windows boot entry, and get a "Error code: 0xc0000034" from windows boot.

reason: deleted windows 10 uefi boot entry
======
your PC / Device needs to be repaired
File:\BCD Missing
Error code: 0xc0000034
======
* disconnect all other ESP partitions / UEFI disks

* Boot win10 install media --> click next --> click 'Repair computer'

* advanced options --> cmd prompt --> $ bootrec /rebuildbcd
======

* Duplicated UEFI Boot Entries Bug is not unique to Clover

* It can be reproduced with other bootloaders

Today I have developed a method that:

* Can reproduce this bug with PASSMARK Memtext x86 6.2 Free Edition

* Full instructions here:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f5b09529f279348ac6e6

* Information has been passed to Gigabyte eSupport.

* I have asked them to reproduce it with Memtest x86.

Please be aware:

It is one thing to reproduce this BIOS bug reliably (not simple). However it is entirely another task to track down, and try to really solve the problem. Hopefully Gigabyte can start towards that goal once they can reproduce in their own labs.

This is good news since Gigabyte answered me they couldn't reproduce my problem. I believe it's best if all of us effected, open a ticket on Gigabyte pointing to this topic-problem.

This is good news since Gigabyte answered me they couldn't reproduce my problem. I believe it's best if all of us effected, open a ticket on Gigabyte pointing to this topic-problem.

Where a bouts are you opening tickets and what exactly are you writing in these tickets?

Hi guys, 

So, in early January, thanks to a lot of help from @cyberdevs, I was able to get Hackintosh up and running on my i5 6500 and Gigabyte Z170-Gaming 5 motherboard. Things have been working just fine for me. The only problem is that for some reason, OS X stops booting for me if I overclock my CPU. 

Since I have a non-K processor, I OC by changing my BCLK frequency from 100 to higher. Gigabyte uses a custom BCLK generation on the Gaming 5 mobo, so this method is totally fine. I make sure to change other relevant voltage and memory related settings as well. I have successfully managed to OC my i5-6500 to 3.7GHz and even tested it for stability and gaming under Windows 10.

OS X, however, just refuses to boot if I increase the BCLK frequency to more than 102. As soon as I do that, it gets stuck at this step. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf1blvpmriqvxmx/IMG_20160223_095117.jpg?dl=0

I have tried quite a few things, including generating a new SSDT for my processor with the increased frequency and BCLK clock, playing around with various CPU and RAM settings in BIOS, to no avail. 

At this point, I am really pulling my hair out. I wish I could simply exchange my 6500 CPU with a 6600K, but that is not possible where I live. I have also been unable to find a buyer for it :(

So, I was wondering if anyone else with a non-K Skylake CPU has managed to OC under El Cap successfully? And if you have a K CPU that is OCed, can you actually OC the CPU using the BCLK frequency and not using the multiplier to see how things go? Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Rajesh_Pandey,

What if you add the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext in your EFI\CLOVER\KEXT\10.11 or adding it to \System\Library\Extensions

I'm not sure if we tried that earlier.

This kext is managing the SpeedStep of the processor and it might solve your problem.

dreamcat4 has more information on overclocking the CPU but as I recall he uses a 6600k processor and has a gaming 3 motherboard.

If using the kext doesn't solve the problem maybe he can shed some lights on the matter.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext.zip

Gigabyte eSupprt

I have opened another ticket as well stating about the duplicate uefi entries.

Hi guys,

So, in early January, thanks to a lot of help from @cyberdevs, I was able to get Hackintosh up and running on my i5 6500 and Gigabyte Z170-Gaming 5 motherboard. Things have been working just fine for me. The only problem is that for some reason, OS X stops booting for me if I overclock my CPU.

Since I have a non-K processor, I OC by changing my BCLK frequency from 100 to higher. Gigabyte uses a custom BCLK generation on the Gaming 5 mobo, so this method is totally fine. I make sure to change other relevant voltage and memory related settings as well. I have successfully managed to OC my i5-6500 to 3.7GHz and even tested it for stability and gaming under Windows 10.

OS X, however, just refuses to boot if I increase the BCLK frequency to more than 102. As soon as I do that, it gets stuck at this step. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf1blvpmriqvxmx/IMG_20160223_095117.jpg?dl=0

I have tried quite a few things, including generating a new SSDT for my processor with the increased frequency and BCLK clock, playing around with various CPU and RAM settings in BIOS, to no avail.

At this point, I am really pulling my hair out. I wish I could simply exchange my 6500 CPU with a 6600K, but that is not possible where I live. I have also been unable to find a buyer for it :(

So, I was wondering if anyone else with a non-K Skylake CPU has managed to OC under El Cap successfully? And if you have a K CPU that is OCed, can you actually OC the CPU using the BCLK frequency and not using the multiplier to see how things go? Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is it really necessary for you to need to over clock?

Maybe instead of work arounds etc you just source a K version cpu?

OS X, however, just refuses to boot if I increase the BCLK frequency to more than 102. As soon as I do that, it gets stuck at this step. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf1blvpmriqvxmx/IMG_20160223_095117.jpg?dl=0

dreamcat4 has more information on overclocking the CPU but as I recall he uses a 6600k processor and has a gaming 3 motherboard.

If using the kext doesn't solve the problem maybe he can shed some lights on the matter.

I was under the impression that no *Gigabyte* has been released with such an unlocked BCLK update for BIOS, at least for our boards range... You state that '3.7 ghz' is your best OC? Well how much BCLK is that above the stock 100Mhz speed? I dont understand how you think you are overclocking it because the skylake silicone is all pretty consistent dies and Intel make 'too good quality' low-end chips. They cannot avoid that due to mfr'ing process. And that's precisely why they lock them.

So any random sample of them, nearly all should be able to do at least ~4 - 4.4 GHz (or more). Just except the microcode (if locked) / the mobo / and chipsets surrounding it.

If you cannot get a 6600K, then my best ATM advice is sell the mobo instead, and get a new mobo (which has unlocked BCLK feature). Should work OK on osx too, but check other threads for ASUS / ASROCK / whatever. To see others. And of course make sure has right firmware.

You can then sell your old mobo more easy than the i5-6500 (not that people know intel are coming down on it). It is also CHEAPER to switch mobo, than getting a new i5-6600K (and likely will be just as fast anyhow). Make sure you have discreete card, as no integrated iGP graphics.

Another future possiblility *might* be if someone can hack Gigabyte BIOS to unlock the BCLK feature. But that would first require gigabyte publish some BIOS update including it! (and o don't think they have done that). So that sort of CFW - theres no evidence of it out there yet AFAIKT. And would be more likely on an ASUS / other mfr ones anyhow. Like to 'add-back-in', and get a newer BIOS after they changed their minds and removed the BLK feature from the latest OFW. So that slim possibility is unlikely to matter to you or help you.

I've read the news about Intel pressuring the companies whom are producing mainboards that they remove the bclk overclocking features but they will do so in future BIOS updates not the previous releases. So as far as we don't update the BIOSes the ones with non-K processors should be able to overclock their systems.

@dreamcat4: 3.7GHz was just a number. I don't have better cooling solution at the moment, so I have not tried any further. I just want to make sure OS X plays well with my overclock before I slap a water cooler and OC the CPU to 4GHz+. I really don't think whatever issue I have has anything to do with the motherboard/BCLK, since my PC works completely fine under Windows 10 when OC'd. I have stress tested it for hours to ensure this.

Its likely due to the Speed step/C/P state of the CPU being disabled when OC'd which leads to OS X not booting, since when booting normally, verbose mode in OS X shows multiple CPU P/C states, which is missing from the log when OC'd. Log screenshot as posted previously: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf1blvpmriqvxmx/IMG_20160223_095117.jpg?dl=0

@cyberdevs: I think we tried this. I will try it again tomorrow morning and report back.

@dreamcat4: 3.7GHz was just a number. I don't have better cooling solution at the moment, so I have not tried any further. I just want to make sure OS X plays well with my overclock before I slap a water cooler and OC the CPU to 4GHz+. I really don't think whatever issue I have has anything to do with the motherboard/BCLK, since my PC works completely fine under Windows 10 when OC'd. I have stress tested it for hours to ensure this.

Its likely due to the Speed step/C/P state of the CPU being disabled when OC'd which leads to OS X not booting, since when booting normally, verbose mode in OS X shows multiple CPU P/C states, which is missing from the log when OC'd. Log screenshot as posted previously: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf1blvpmriqvxmx/IMG_20160223_095117.jpg?dl=0

@cyberdevs: I think we tried this. I will try it again tomorrow morning and report back.

The reason that I'm almost sure that we didn't try it is because of the line AICPUMI: CPU P-State [  (32)  ] in your verbose log, if you had it installed it should have shown more like this:

AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 (40) 41 42 ] these are the SpeedSteps from my CPU

It's worth a shot. But not sure if it's gonna help solving the problem.

So are you saying we can do unlocked BCLK on gigabyte? I was not aware of that.

So are you saying we can do unlocked BCLK on gigabyte? I was not aware of that.

Yes, you can. 

@cyberdevs: Those CPU P-States show up fine in Verbose log when I don't overclock, but as soon as I overclock, only the 32 P-State shows up in the log. I think this is the change which OS X is not liking that is leading to issues.  

I changed the BCLK value from 100 to 110 and system gave me few beeps and shut down, but after recovering from the first crash it cam back on, I checked the BIOS settings and the setting were saved and OS X booted normally with a boost and CineBecnch showed me better performance.

I just don't know what happened the first time exactly but I guess because I already activated XMP with 26.6 caused the system to overwhelm the RAM frequency.

post-1011040-0-41713800-1456735910_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I changed the BCLK value from 100 to 110 and system gave me few beeps and shut down, but after recovering from the first crash it cam back on, I checked the BIOS settings and the setting were saved and OS X booted normally with a boost and CineBecnch showed me better performance.

I just don't know what happened the first time exactly but I guess because I already activated XMP with 26.6 caused the system to overwhelm the RAM frequency.

Thanks! I don't think there is anything left to try now. Hopefully, this issue will be fixed once Apple releases more Skylake powered Macs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I do not want to be a sucker for views but I would like to share a playlist on how to / info about hackintosh build on this board :)

Hopefully it is ok.

Link: ---deleted---

The episode of actual El Capitan install, clover config, bios settings etc should be out within next week.

And as it will be mentioned in the video... thank you again for sharing all of the info in this thread and special thanks to cyberdevs who endured my stupid quesitons :D

Stay awesome everyone.

Hi guys,

I do not want to be a sucker for views but I would like to share a playlist on how to / info about hackintosh build on this board :)

Hopefully it is ok.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFileoicP7M&list=PLC1SnCh9efltZjI9xkXRsjZJln56eP0Z3

The episode of actual El Capitan install, clover config, bios settings etc should be out within next week.

And as it will be mentioned in the video... thank you again for sharing all of the info in this thread and special thanks to cyberdevs who endured my stupid quesitons :D

Stay awesome everyone.

Nice Job :)