El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

Hi dreamcat4,

You're welcome and thanks to you for the tip on VoodooHDA :) Good Job!

OK is confirmed - that its not needed Startup Item Settings Loader IF have edited the Info.plist inside VoodooHDA kext file.

And will attempt to remove the previous audio alc_ script / HDA patches as not needed if installing the VoodooHDA. As it just stopped working all by itself for some reason (which was why had to install Voodoo too). When alc_ script method breaks, the audio device still appeared in Audio Preference panel. Just no sound came out at all.

The problem about removing that old one is I don't remember anymore which kext patches lines were added by alc_ script, and which were added for HDMI audio. And also not using / testing Intel HDMI audio myself ATM.

Stuff like that is why we all need a unified tool / EFI folder builder.  :lol:

[uPDATE]

CyberDevs,

After I added the IntelPowermanagement Kext: then experienced some networking - type issue. iTunes would no longer finish connecting to my DAAP server (just hangs / busy). Plus some webpages (like this thread) would no longer load fully to completion in safari. So I removed just only that specific Kext ("AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext", of your attachment ^^ here today), rebooted. And now iTunes works again.

So on closer look it seems that specific Kext might have caused some unknown interoperability issue. Previously (all of today before trying that kext) iTunes had been working OK as Bonjour DAAP client. And work again fine now after removing it.

About the ALC script as I mentioned before I don't use them for activating the audio because VoodooHDA does the magic for me but I was too lazy to remove'em from my config.plist  :P

And the lines that need to be removed for config are starting with t1 at their comment:

AppleHDA 8B19D411 0009EC10 t1-10.9-10.11-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC1150

AppleHDA 786D6C2E7A6C 7A6D6C2E7A6C t1-AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml

These are the patches that toledo's script add to the config.plist

I just removed them and going to reboot and I'll be back with the result on audio.

Few seconds after:

Audio works just fine after removing three lines of patches above.

About the networking glitches you mentioned, I've been having those glitches long before adding the IntelCPUPowermanagement.kext so I doubt it could be the cause, so just to be safe removing any extra kexts from extensions folder won't do any harm.

The other reason for any malfunctions in the system maybe because e of the kext itself because it's been released for Sandy Bridge and Haswell processors not Skylake.

Full info is available here at:https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/appleintelcpupowermanagementinfo-kext/

• Like 1

And the lines that need to be removed for config are starting with t1 at their comment:

AppleHDA 786D6C2E7A6C 7A6D6C2E7A6C t1-AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml

These are the patches that toledo's script add to the config.plist

About the networking glitches you mentioned, I've been having those glitches long before adding the IntelCPUPowermanagement.kext so I doubt it could be the cause, so just to be safe removing any extra kexts from extensions folder won't do any harm.

The other reason for any malfunctions in the system maybe because e of the kext itself because it's been released for Sandy Bridge and Haswell processors not Skylake.

Full info is available here at:https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/appleintelcpupowermanagementinfo-kext/

Thanks!

OK. It says at the end of the comments he made a newer replacement / successor kext for same functions,

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/appleintelcpupowermanagementinfo-kext/#comment-2617

Which we compile ourselves... maybe that will work better if compiled by a Skylake hardware.

Regardless, tomorrow I will retest (but pack / remove again the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext") another time. To be certain that was actually the reason for DAAP failure / or if not.

Regardless, tomorrow I will retest (but pack / remove again the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext") another time. To be certain that was actually the reason for DAAP failure / or if not.

Confirmed. I am 100% sure now. It was purely only adding / removing this Kext to me existing config folder. Broken DAAP in iTunes, and this ^^ forum page won't finish load / displaying in iTunes (at least, with the intel IGP + using Killer NIC). I remove the Kext again from ESP, and reboot, problem goes away again.

May try compiling new Kext, but need to download Xcode etc first.

[EDIT]

Ok... don't need Xcode as there is in a guide elsewhere a pre-compiled version the new Kext. It just printed out a list of all the power states and nothing else. So not really sure what its useful for? AFAIKT, the power management functionality already come from patched SSDT.aml in ACPI/Patched folder (which may be generated by Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh). The kext just prints out some infos about it... Please correct me if wrong.

Updated to OS X 10.11.3 successfully.

Are you guys able to control the FAN/RPM speed using HWMonitor? 

@cyberdevs how do I get you logs? Just have an itch to OC my 6500 to 3.6GHz or higher. 

Hey Rajesh,

Nice work on the article, I was wondering what kind of logs you were referring in you earlier post.

About Over Clocking the CPU here is the settings in the BIOS you might wanna check. See the attachments.

I OCed my CPU up to 4.6 GHz and it's working just fine although the CPU temperature is increased noticeably specially with CineBench up to 85 degrees. Unless you have a solid cooling system I won't recommend over clocking the CPU. If I assume correctly from the picture you uploaded to iphonehacks you are using Intel's cooling unit which is good for day to day usage but if you are insisting on over clocking your CPU to 3.6 GHz you've got to buy a better closing unit and If I assumed correctly about the fan, maybe the freezing you are experiencing is because of that your cpu overheats and as the result it goes into halt state.

I use CoolerMaster Neptune 120XL which is a decent CPU liquid cooling unit and the next in line is Cooler Master Neptune 240M and the best one is Cooler Master Neptune 280L liquid cooler.

These are the benchmarks and SpeedStep tests.

post-1011040-0-70905000-1453401160_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-97666600-1453401739_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-43239600-1453401913_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-26412300-1453401967_thumb.jpg

post-1011040-0-64646800-1453401991_thumb.jpg

post-1011040-0-68438800-1453402009_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-07243400-1453402265_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-22113800-1453402293_thumb.png

Here is some tips on how to overclock the CPU and Memory:

1. In BIOS from M.I.T choose Advanced Memory Settings

I. From Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) Choose [Profile1] it's crucial to choose this option if you want your memory modules work with their full frequency.

II. Enter the correct System Memory Multiplier which in your case based on 2400MHz DDR4 must be 24.0

III. Select [Enhanced Performance] from Memory Enhancement Settings. You can choose any of the option or just to on the safe side choose Enhanced Stability

IV. F Advanced Frequency Settings choose Performance Upgrade and select your desired value I recommend 20 to 40% Upgrade

V. From CPU Upgrade choose your desired speed which is recommended not to go higher that 3.6 GHz because Core i5 6500 can be Over Clocked up to 3.6

VI. Save your new settings and reboot.

2. Once you booted successfully into your system, open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and edit the following settings; although it might be better to edit these settings before changing you BIOS’s settings:

I. From “Boot” section select your XMPDetection profile.

II From “CPU” edit you new processing speed which must be 3600 MHz in your case.

III. Save your config.plist and reboot

The last step should fix any misreading of processor’s speed by system profiler.

Good Luck.

post-1011040-0-66172600-1453405311_thumb.jpg

post-1011040-0-94990100-1453405937_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

@cyberdevs: The problem is that after OCing, OS X stops booting. I have successfully booted into Windows 10 with my 3.6GHz OC and tested it for stability using various stress tests. I am using the stock cooler for now, but its winter here and even under full load after 20 mins, the CPU temp does not cross 55C. I do plan on buying a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X by the time summer arrives. 

P.S. I had to overclock my CPU by increasing the BCLK frequency from 100Mhz since the Core i5-6500 does not come with an unlocked multiplier. Nothing really to do with my problem, but just something I thought you should know. 

post-675189-0-25126700-1453523931_thumb.jpg

Use this Patch which is provided by Pike R. Alpha

Fix Black Screen on nVidia Graphics

<key>KextsToPatch</key>  
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (board-id) Patch © Pike R. Alpha</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
Ym9hcmQtaWQ=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
Ym9hcmQtaXg=
</data>
</dict>
</array>

more details are available at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308790-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-on-the-fly-patching-impossible-alternate-idea-but-still-does-not-seem-to-work/

or use this application to fix it for you http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/424-agdpfix/

Use this Patch which is provided by Pike R. Alpha

Fix Black Screen on nVidia Graphics

<key>KextsToPatch</key>  

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (board-id) Patch © Pike R. Alpha</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

Ym9hcmQtaWQ=

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

Ym9hcmQtaXg=

</data>

</dict>

</array>

more details are available at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308790-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-on-the-fly-patching-impossible-alternate-idea-but-still-does-not-seem-to-work/

or use this application to fix it for you http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/424-agdpfix/

I use try both kext to patch and agdpfix, it's not black screen anymore but there's not qe/ci and only show 7mb. is it because of my smbios iMac17,1?

I use try both kext to patch and agdpfix, it's not black screen anymore but there's not qe/ci and only show 7mb. is it because of my smbios iMac17,1?

Have you injected nVidia in your clover's config.plist?

For me to fix the black screen with web  drivers i had to edit a kext. Copy it from system -> library -> extensions -> AppleGraphicsControl.kext to the desktop then right click it then show package contents, open contents folder then plugins folder then right click AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext to show contents, open contents folder then right click on info.plist and open with "other" and choose textedit, scroll down to<key>ConfigMap</key> and find your "mac" key and change the <string> to none like this

Before

<key>Mac-42FD25EABCABB274</key>

<string>Config2</string>

After
<string>none</string>

Reinstall kext with Kext Utility then reboot with nvda_drv=1

Give that a try

For me to fix the black screen with web  drivers i had to edit a kext. Copy it from system -> library -> extensions -> AppleGraphicsControl.kext to the desktop then right click it then show package contents, open contents folder then plugins folder then right click AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext to show contents, open contents folder then right click on info.plist and open with "other" and choose textedit, scroll down to<key>ConfigMap</key> and find your "mac" key and change the <string> to none like this

Before

<string>Config2</string>

After
<string>none</string>

Give that a try

I also try that but sometimes I boot into a blackscreen with only cursor 

Have you injected nVidia in your clover's config.plist?

Nope

@Rajesh_Pandey

You have to right click on your FakeSMC.kext and select show package content, then under contents create a folder called "Plugins" and put these four files under "Plugins":

1.ACPISensor.kext

2.CPUSensors.kext

3.GPUSensors.kext

4.LPCSensors.kext

If you don't want to use those sensors you've got to delete them completely or move them to another place other than your EFI folder just to make sure.

Sorry to bug you guys again but did anyone ever make a step by step guide for this combo? I still don't feel terribly comfortable just blindly taking some info from here and from there and hoping things like sleep and usb 3 work.

I do have access to a normal mac.

Edit: or at this point would following the tonymac method work well these days?

Sorry to bug you guys again but did anyone ever make a step by step guide for this combo? I still don't feel terribly comfortable just blindly taking some info from here and from there and hoping things like sleep and usb 3 work.

I do have access to a normal mac.

Edit: or at this point would following the tonymac method work well these days?

Hi Beatles4,

Regarding the guide it's still not ready and sleep problem is not fixed for AMD VGA adapters but USB 3.0 works perfectly.

Before

<string>Config2</string>

After
<string>none</string>

Give that a try

I'm in the same boat with a black screen on a GTX980 and have tried a bunch of different stuff. Mind sharing your CLOVER folder? Also, what board ID are you using? It looks like this patch you mention is specifically for MacPro6,1. I'm currently using an iMac board ID since that what was in yassinex's config. Did you change to a MacPro6,1 ID to fix a specific issue? Thanks for the help!