El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

I think it's a matter for further speculation, I have another computer with a single hard drive and dual boot with El Capitan and Windows 10 with no problem with multiple entires, the motherboard is an Asus P8H77M-LE with UEFI BIOS.

The other computer is as shown in my signature GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 with a single OS X El Capitan and some other Hard Disk for data storage and the multiple entries occur every time I reboot.

But I'm gonna give customized GUI a try and I'll keep you posted.

The issue could be a bug in certain AMI UEFIs ... as I have only Gigabyte Hackintoshes so far, I don't know about other manufacturers.

I am pleased with my solution ... but unfortunately I will have to go to the setting procedure again as soon as I will flash my firmware once there is an update I want ...

The issue could be a bug in certain AMI UEFIs ... as I have only Gigabyte Hackintoshes so far, I don't know about other manufacturers.

I am pleased with my solution ... but unfortunately I will have to go to the setting procedure again as soon as I will flash my firmware once there is an update I want ...

I didn't mean to discredit your solution, any solution to solve a problem is a nobel one and you found one, Great job :) , what I meant was to find the cause of the problem so we could know exactly what is wrong and why it is happening.

I didn't mean to discredit your solution, any solution to solve a problem is a nobel one and you found one, Great job :) , what I meant was to find the cause of the problem so we could know exactly what is wrong and why it is happening.

I didn't perceive your post as discrediting – everything fine!

I also would like to find the cause of the issue, as it has cost me several nights to figure out that solution ...

I still think this is an AMI error ... does anybody with another firmware had the problem so far?

I didn't perceive your post as discrediting – everything fine!

I also would like to find the cause of the issue, as it has cost me several nights to figure out that solution ...

I still think this is an AMI error ... does anybody with another firmware had the problem so far?

I'm not having any of these issues (excessive boot entries) on my asus laptop (uefi) nor did I have with previous asus motherboard (legacy) only with the current Z170X gaming 5.

Would really like to know the root of the cause.

Well John was supposed to let us know if Gigabyte has sent him any more messages. After the beta bios they asked him to try failed to rectify the issue. I believe due to their eSupport system, they're obliged to make some kind of a further reply at least.

I am in agreement both the suspicion of AMI code involvement, and also that it affects mostly Gigabyte (just not necessarily exclusively). I can really only speculate until hear something solid / further from other people. The only other expert I am aware of (for GigaByte Beta BIOSes) is Stasio, who participates on the TweakTown forums. GigaByte Beta BIOS thread & GigaByte Modified BIOS thread.

Well John was supposed to let us know if Gigabyte has sent him any more messages. After the beta bios they asked him to try failed to rectify the issue. I believe due to their eSupport system, they're obliged to make some kind of a further reply at least.

Hey, i haven't forgot you!  :) I waited for some entries to build up since i manually deleted all of them the week before. Has anyone else besides HackLinux tried his method?

Hello Cyberdevs,

I have been following this thread for a long time and I have tried my best to build my first hackintosh but I would need some help if I may ask. Here is a link with picture of verbose mode and it is shutting down apparently because of /Library/LaunchAgents with error = 2 - path not found. I've tried to boot with slide=0 and log=false as sugessted here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298461-guide-test-macos-1010-publicbeta-or-developerpreview/page-3 ,however it did not help :(

PC Specs:

GA-Z170X-Gaming 5, BIOS setting in zip file

i7-6700K

2x 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666 Mhz - in config as 2600 with multiplier set to 26.0 in bios

Gigabyte GTX 970

Here is link to my dropbox to help.zip with pictures and my EFI partition: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hfm9f5zwq2i261/HELP.zip?dl=0

(it is 125 MB because of photos)

Any guidance would be much appreciated :)

EDIT: If you do not have time to look at my problem. Would you at least mind sharing your latest EFI partition ?

Edited by anonshin

Hello Cyberdevs,

I have been following this thread for a long time and I have tried my best to build my first hackintosh but I would need some help if I may ask. Here is a link with picture of verbose mode and it is shutting down apparently because of /Library/LaunchAgents with error = 2 - path not found. I've tried to boot with slide=0 and log=false as sugessted here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298461-guide-test-macos-1010-publicbeta-or-developerpreview/page-3 ,however it did not help :(

PC Specs:

GA-Z170X-Gaming 5, BIOS setting in zip file

i7-6700K

2x 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666 Mhz - in config as 2600 with multiplier set to 26.0 in bios

Gigabyte GTX 970

Here is link to my dropbox to help.zip with pictures and my EFI partition: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hfm9f5zwq2i261/HELP.zip?dl=0

(it is 125 MB because of photos)

Any guidance would be much appreciated :)

EDIT: If you do not have time to look at my problem. Would you at least mind sharing your latest EFI partition ?

Hi there, I will take a look at your settings and setback to you as soon as possible.

and you can find my efi folder at the first page of this topic, It is a working efi folder and if you replace yours with this one you should be able to boot your Installer or your computer with it.

About the your memory if you put in 26.6 it will set your memory to 2666 Mhz which is gonna work just fine.

Hi there, I will take a look at your settings and setback to you as soon as possible.

and you can find my efi folder at the first page of this topic, It is a working efi folder and if you replace yours with this one you should be able to boot your Installer or your computer with it.

About the your memory if you put in 26.6 it will set your memory to 2666 Mhz which is gonna work just fine.

Thank you for fast reply :)

I will use your EFI from first post with freshly made usb via createinstallmedia method. I was using 10.11.3 up until now and I am gonna try 10.11.1 to see if I will have any luck with that one.

Thank you again.

Thank you for fast reply :)

I will use your EFI from first post with freshly made usb via createinstallmedia method. I was using 10.11.3 up until now and I am gonna try 10.11.1 to see if I will have any luck with that one.

Thank you again.

You're welcome :)

I'm downloading your EFI folder right now and I will examine it and will get back to you.

I haven't tested 10.11.3 installer yet but it will work with 10.11.2 just fine.

Ok here is what is wrong with you config.plist

in order to get the installer to boot you need to set these flags:

under Boot section:

uncheck nvda_drv=1 and check nv_disable=1

under Graphics section:

Check Inject nVidia

You only need to set nvda_drv=1 if you have a compatible nVidia graphic adapter which apple uses in their computers for example nVidia 9400 GT or you need to install the nvidia web driver and then set nvda_drv=1 and then reboot. but be ware of the black screen problem with nvidia graphics. It's highly recommended to have a fully working spare bootable USB disk if possible in order to boot the computer if something goes wrong.

try this config file and see if it works.

Let me know how it went.

config.plist.zip

hi dreamcat4,

Have you tested what HackLinux posted about multiple entries? 

I cousin't get clover to recognize my boot volume, and when I deleted the Boot folder as he said it rendered my computer unbootable.

You're welcome :)

I'm downloading your EFI folder right now and I will examine it and will get back to you.

I haven't tested 10.11.3 installer yet but it will work with 10.11.2 just fine.

Ok here is what is wrong with you config.plist

in order to get the installer to boot you need to set these flags:

under Boot section:

uncheck nvda_drv=1 and check nv_disable=1

under Graphics section:

Check Inject nVidia

You only need to set nvda_drv=1 if you have a compatible nVidia graphic adapter which apple uses in their computers for example nVidia 9400 GT or you need to install the nvidia web driver and then set nvda_drv=1 and then reboot. but be ware of the black screen problem with nvidia graphics. It's highly recommended to have a fully working spare bootable USB disk if possible in order to boot the computer if something goes wrong.

try this config file and see if it works.

Let me know how it went.

So I recreated the usb with 10.11.1 and I am getting "this version of mac os x is not supported on this platform = MAC - DB15BD556843C820". So I will create 10.11.3 again and I will get back here to report how it went :)

hi dreamcat4,

Have you tested what HackLinux posted about multiple entries? 

I cousin't get clover to recognize my boot volume, and when I deleted the Boot folder as he said it rendered my computer unbootable.

No,

I did not be trying this approach yet, as already knew that removing '/boot' in the EFI folder leads to unbootable system. The instruction they give for how to make 'custom boot' entry... did not understand yet. Also because well you can't dual boot into other windows disk from clover when it has bitlocker. Because clover cant support that.

What I did do was open a new eSupport Ticket with Gigabyte. Since what John said didn't make any sense to me.

I find Gigabyte eSupport to be a very hit-and-miss affair. About half of the time you get someone very competent, who may helpful and/or totally solves the issue. The other times they don't seem to know the first thing about their own product, etc and just keep asking dump questions (like stalling for more time, hope you'll go away, etc).

Because its the weekend Gigabyte, have not had enough time to respond. It take some more days, into next week to hear a response. Its just the same thing John asked about anyhow.

To anonshin:

Are you sure you are using 10.11.1 not 10.11 because as far as I know 10.11.1 has the skylake support. But it's better to have a latest usb installer though :)

By the way you can use a fakeCPUID just to get to the installer and once you are done with the installation install the latest Mac OS X update and remove the FakeCPUID=0x00306F2 and check KernelHaswellE under Kernel and Kext Patches.

To dreamcat4:

But I've learned something in the process, clover can boot with only one of these files, BOOTIA32.efi or BOOTX64.efi under Boot folder and it doesn't need CLOVERIA32.efi and CLOVERX64.efi to boot the system.

About the gigabyte eSupport ticket I'm not sure if they can even examine the problem unless it's happening on windows based computers too which I'm not sure if it is happening there because I don't have windows installed on my computer, and if that's not happening on windows I'm not so optimistic if they can give a straight answer regarding the hackintosh unless they have some hackintoshes of their own which is highly unlikely :P

Friday i i contacted Gigabyte with pictures from my bios as they asked. Because i had erased the multiple boot entries in clover shell (with the Bcfg command) i had to make a couple restarts in order to get in pictures the multiple entries. I believe ill have an answer soon but i don't count on Gigabyte solving this issue. I also hesitate to use Hacklinux's method

About the gigabyte eSupport ticket I'm not sure if they can even examine the problem unless it's happening on windows based computers too which I'm not sure if it is happening there because I don't have windows installed on my computer, and if that's not happening on windows I'm not so optimistic if they can give a straight answer regarding the hackintosh unless they have some hackintoshes of their own which is highly unlikely :P

That's what I'm afraid of also. I use windows in different hard disk  and this problem only affects the clover hard disk's.  

Friday i i contacted Gigabyte with pictures from my bios as they asked. Because i had erased the multiple boot entries in clover shell (with the Bcfg command) i had to make a couple restarts in order to get in pictures the multiple entries. I believe ill have an answer soon but i don't count on Gigabyte solving this issue. I also hesitate to use Hacklinux's method

That's what I'm afraid of also. I use windows in different hard disk  and this problem only affects the clover hard disk's.  

I've tested HackLinux's method and it didn't work for me maybe because I did something wrong, but none the less it only happens to a SATA HDD on my computer when I use USB disk to boot the system it doesn't duplicate that device but still adds the HDD to the list.

1) then does removing CLOVER*.EFI help us avoid this multi-boot issue? [Y/n]

2) That may be true however searching online it seems this UEFI duplicate entries issue may also have happened with certain linux distros / installations. Just don't know how to reproduce it on linux (myself).

Hello cyberdevs,

you are awesome man :) Now I have 10.11.3 up and running, btw, the installer worked just fine.

Problems to solve so far:

Multiple entries after every boot - as far as I see you are trying to solve that too... Maybe a stupid suggestion but how about setting defaultVolume, defaultLoader and ignoreNVRAMBoot ? ... refference - https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot

Another, bigger, problem - black screen when enabling nvidia web drivers and setting nv_disable=0;

Plus system info is only showing 4.01 GHz while I think it should be 4.2 shouldn't it ?

HW Sensors are working fine ... but multiplier never goes above 40 ? ... I remember you mentioned something about that on previous pages.

I will try to solve these issues tomorrow and if I will need some help I hope that it is ok to come for a help here :)

You guys rock :3 Thanks for everything.

Hi anonshin,

You are welcome, I'm glad you got your computer up and running. You can come here anytime :)

Dealing with multiple BIOS entries is an on going process and it's not solved yet but we'll have some clues as soon as John_s or dreamcat4 share the info from Gigabyte support team with us.

1. You know there are several methods to fix the black screen problem using Mac Pro 3,1 or iMac 14,2 SMBIOS instead of iMac 17,1 is said to be working or patching the AppleGraphicsControl.kext is another method which you already use it and is's called "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy" patch, make sure you are setting nvda_drv=1 after installing web drivers and removing nv_disable=1, and there are some other tips about changing the output port on the VGA adapter might help, for instance using Display port instead of HDMI and so forth

but since I'm using an AMD RadeonHD 7790 myself I'm not sure which method is better for you, so I'm afraid you have to search the problem and find a suiting method for the black problem you have.

2. About CPU information 4.01 GHz is the base speed of the processor and 4.2 is when you overclock the cpu, otherwise it's completely normal.

3. HWSensor is only working correctly when you add AppleIntelCPUPowermanagementInfo.kext in you extensions folder but I'm not sure about its accuracy although I might say it's somewhat accurate you can find more info about it on page 12 of this topic.

I'll be more than glad to help you out if you needed any :)

Cheers

As far as the multiple bios entries I believe it could be best to open a ticket in the clover development page. Because I don't find it normal clover creating a new boot entry after restart. When I find some time I ll five it a try. I suggest anyone else who is having the same problem do the same.

Hi Everyone, First off thanks to everyone here for the multitude of help this thread has given!

To put it into perspective after a hd crash on my old 27" (late 2011 sandy bridge) iMac, i decided to opt for a Hackintosh.

the components:

Intel Skylake i7 6700K Quad core 4.0GHz

Asus STRIX GTX970
Gigabyte GA-Z170X G5
32Gb Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Samsung 500GB 850EVO SSD (for macos)
Samsung 250GB 850EVO SSD (for windows)
WD Caviar Green 3TB (For Storage)
Corsair RM550x PSU
ASUS USB-BT400 Bluetooth 4.0(+LE) adapter
ASUS USB-AC51 Dual-Band WIFI adapter
Fractal Design Define5 (White) cabinet
BENQ 27"QHD GW2765

Yesterday morning after much coffee, much reading and not much sleep the system is now running :)

Up until this morning I didn't have 2560x1440p resolution on the Benq over hdmi (i use the display port on the nvidia card for my Wacom Cintiq 27QHDT), but was able to apply Floris497's mac-pixel-clock-patchV2 and got HDMI to finally show 2560x1440p  :thumbsup_anim:

For the wifi usb i had to use the asus driver for 10.10.10 and the UI from BearExtender, and i have to select the wifi profile ever time i boot.

I have no usb3.1 device to test with, but it seems all my usb2/usb3 ports are working as intended.

I'm using the f5e bios

Again I can't thank everyone in this thread enough :wub: , only issue that is bugging me now is the multiple boot entries as everyone else here on the later pages, but thankfully we can remove them in the clover shell :w00t: