El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

So after contacting Gigabyte they asked me to send them over pictures of the multiple hdd entries in bios. They also send me a new beta bios but problem still exists. i managed to solve my sleep problems both in windows and OS X but now I'm facing the problem that many people have in OS X. After sleep i get a full of static sound i have to reboot. Any solutions?

What are you using for sound? Toledo script or VoodooHDA?

Hi guys,

Today wanted to try what it says chris1111, but my surprise was big, suddenly everything working, I really do not know how it happened, and not that EFI folder, I have set, after many tests

I hope to start back again, everything working again .......

Good work, is everything working including sleep and speedstep?

So after contacting Gigabyte they asked me to send them over pictures of the multiple hdd entries in bios. They also send me a new beta bios but problem still exists. i managed to solve my sleep problems both in windows and OS X but now I'm facing the problem that many people have in OS X. After sleep i get a full of static sound i have to reboot. Any solutions?

Hi John,

Please keep us informed about your Gigabyte ticket. It is not uncommon for them to send you another BIOS to test / reproduce again.

In regards to your audio problem, did you install the VoodooHDA pkg? Because it sounds a lot like the iGain setting bug (which also occurs on system startup) ---> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303020-voodoohda-287-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=2208484. Otherwise it's a sleep issue in which case sorry I don't know / can't help with that.

Good to know that everything is working gorki,

John_s

You didn't tell me in which OS you have static sounds, Mac OS X or Windows?

In Osx El Capitan

Hi John,

Please keep us informed about your Gigabyte ticket. It is not uncommon for them to send you another BIOS to test / reproduce again.

In regards to your audio problem, did you install the VoodooHDA pkg? Because it sounds a lot like the iGain setting bug (which also occurs on system startup) ---> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303020-voodoohda-287-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=2208484. Otherwise it's a sleep issue in which case sorry I don't know / can't help with that.

First i tried tonymac's Multib..., i then tried toleda's script and after this http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/170063-fix-no-sound-after-sleep-1150-possibly-other-realteks.html but nothing. you guys have 1150 working after sleep? which method do you used?

I'm also waiting for some entries to pile up, as for now i have 17, but before flashing the new beta bios i was on 70!!!!! 

John_s

I'm using VoodooHDA, and as dreamcat4 pointed out you can either use his method or see the post I made earlier here at:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/?p=2199304

Regarding the sleep, I'm using AMD graphic adapter and I had no luck getting sleepy to work so I hope using one of those methods would solve your problem with static noise

I'm also waiting for some entries to pile up, as for now i have 17, but before flashing the new beta bios i was on 70!!!!! 

You should be careful not to let them build up too high. Keep clearing them whenever you remember. Because some users have reported that too many duplicates will break the BIOS / can't boot / bricked etc. If you keep less than 20 entries then that should be OK.

I use the program 'EasyUEFI' on windows to clear extra duplicate entries. It is very simple / quick way to clear them. And no need to remember any special Clover console commands.

[EDIT]

There is also a recent post from user on other forum. The result, as usual is pretty inconclusive. To quote him:

"I'm having this issue on all my Hackintoshes so far ... just deleting the BOOT folder in the EFI Partition did it all the time. Clover booted as normal, but I would't get excessive boot entries.

But since upgrading to 10.11.3 I cannot manage it anymore – Clover just isn't recognized anymore if the BOOT folder is missing ... but I don't think it is related to the OS version ... I might have done something else I cannot remember ... though, it could be some code bit"

Another little thing we might / can try while waiting for Gigabyte to get back about the BIOS firmware.

• Like 1

You should be careful not to let them build up too high. Keep clearing them whenever you remember. Because some users have reported that too many duplicates will break the BIOS / can't boot / bricked etc. If you keep less than 20 entries then that should be OK.

I use the program 'EasyUEFI' on windows to clear extra duplicate entries. It is very simple / quick way to clear them. And no need to remember any special Clover console commands.

[EDIT]

There is also a recent post from user on other forum. The result, as usual is pretty inconclusive. To quote him:

"I'm having this issue on all my Hackintoshes so far ... just deleting the BOOT folder in the EFI Partition did it all the time. Clover booted as normal, but I would't get excessive boot entries.

But since upgrading to 10.11.3 I cannot manage it anymore – Clover just isn't recognized anymore if the BOOT folder is missing ... but I don't think it is related to the OS version ... I might have done something else I cannot remember ... though, it could be some code bit"

Another little thing we might / can try while waiting for Gigabyte to get back about the BIOS firmware.

Thank you for the answer, but how to clean the multiple entries?

With the sound problem i just used the link i provided and changed darkwake to 8. Everything Works fine now!

I also wanted to ask you, in bios M.I.T advanced frequency settings can you change the core multiplier or is it on auto with no change ability? can you post a picture from your bios Advanced Frequency Settings, Advanced CPU Core Settings and Advanced Memory Settings?

Thank you for the answer, but how to clean the multiple entries?

With the sound problem i just used the link i provided and changed darkwake to 8. Everything Works fine now!

I also wanted to ask you, in bios M.I.T advanced frequency settings can you change the core multiplier or is it on auto with no change ability? can you post a picture from your bios Advanced Frequency Settings, Advanced CPU Core Settings and Advanced Memory Settings?

to clear the entries you need to use clover's UEFI Shell 64

once shell is loaded like this "Shell>" use the following commands

Shell> bcfg boot dump "This command shows you all the entries added to your uefi boot entries"

Shell> bcfg boot rm    is for removing the boot entry for example to remove the 9th entry you need to type the command like this

Shell> bcfg boot rm 09

Just remember that these entries could be so much ant it will take a wile to manually remove them all and some times the will be named with some other addresses like 0C or 0B remove them all and if you forget which entries are still there run bcfg boot dump to show you the whole list again.

One last thing you need to remove them from the last entry to the first for example if you have 20 entries try:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 20

Shell> bcfg boot rm 19

and so forth

• Like 1

when you use clover boot loader on the screen that it shows the operating systems to select for example Mac OS X or windows there is a line of small icons under your bootable hard disks you have to use the right arrow key and go through all the hard disk and when the last one is selected if you use the right arrow key it will show on the screen the UEFI Shel 64. hit enter key and it will load the Shell command prompt.

1. Thank you for the answer, but how to clean the multiple entries?

2. With the sound problem i just used the link i provided and changed darkwake to 8. Everything Works fine now!

3. I also wanted to ask you, in bios M.I.T advanced frequency settings can you change the core multiplier or is it on auto with no change ability? can you post a picture from your bios Advanced Frequency Settings, Advanced CPU Core Settings and Advanced Memory Settings?

1. You install the program 'EasyUEFI' first, open it and there is a button with a red (-) minus sign. Select extra entry from list, and click minus icon button.

2. Sounds good. Please share with others here who use sleep function.

3. I have just done whatever OC settings for windows, and it has not been any problem in OS X. I have an unlocked CPU, and it is 4.6 GHz (46x 100.00Mhz), @ 1.37 volts. Set CPU Voltage --> Loadline calibration --> High. 43x Un-core (ring bus IMC). Turbo Boost is set to DISABLED. My memory is set to 'XMP Profile 1'. It's all I can remember. Like I said, the overclocking does not seem to affect the OS X. If anything, it's better because Speed-Step works on OS X (down-clocking while idle). Wheras it does not appear to work at all in windows 10. Being always 4.6 GHz.

Thank you, could you please post your screenshots from the specific bios pages I asked you? I o/c through bios and it does affect osx too, I saw a big difference in geek bench.

As for the sound, I first used toleda's script, then I installed the kext in the link I mentioned and changed dark Wake from 10 to 8. After that, I have sound after sleep.

Windows 10 sleeps perfectly fine on my system.

Sleep is not working on my os x 10.11.3 with nvidia graphics.

set whatever mode you want for your liquid cooler in windows (quiet, performance, etc.) and then disconnect the usb connection from your motherboard. this should fix the sleep issue.

to clear the entries you need to use clover's UEFI Shell 64

onceshell is loaded like this "Shell>" use the following commands

Shell> bcfg boot dump "This command shows you all the entries added to your uefi boot entries"

Shell> bcfg boot rm    is for removing the boot entry for example to remove the 9th entry you need to type the command like this

Shell> bcfg boot rm 09

Just remember that these entries could be so much ant it will take a wile to manually remove them all and some timesthe will be named with some other addresses like 0C or 0B remove them all and if you forget which entries are still there run bcfg boot dump to show you the whole list again.

One last thing you need to remove them from the last entry to the first for example if you have 20 entries try:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 20

Shell> bcfg boot rm 19

and so forth

Just cleaned up my entries so is it clovers bug stacking up multiple entries or gigabytes bios who reads all of them?

Sorry I can't provide screenshots of my BIOS at this time. As am in the middle of stability testing my current 1.37v OC and don't want to reboot for some days yet. So I know it's fully stable. But I've just told you what all of my OC settings are. They are easy enough to find. If you can't remember what else you set then need to reset everything first, remembering to also switch of the other setting for OS X (disable serial port and IO-APIC).

Just cleaned up my entries so is it clovers bug stacking up multiple entries or gigabytes bios who reads all of them?

We don't really know because UEFI is complicated. But since these boot entries list are being displayed by the BIOS firmware. Then it would make some sort of sense if it turned out to be a bug in the BIOS. That is why we are so keen to hear from you / Gigabyte on the open ticket you have with them about it :)

Clover v2.3k_3346 is out I haven't tested it yet but I thought you might wanna know

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/?source=directory

Features

• using UEFI BIOS or own CloverEFI
  • default boot after timeout into previous chosen OS
  • customizable GUI: themes support, own icons, fonts, background image, animated pictures, mouse pointers.
  • F1 - multilingual help, depending on language in config
  • saving preboot.log from GUI by typing F2 and system.log for debug
  • save original (OEM) ACPI tables by pressing F4
  • test DSDT patching with F5
  • save videoBIOS into EFI/misc by pressing F6
  • saving screenshots from GUI typing F10
  • CD/DVD eject by F12 and refresh menu after CD insertion
  • change GUI resolution by PgUp/PgDown
  • save BOOT0000 option to NVRAM (like bcfg in Shell)
  • call to Shell.efi
  • native screen resolution in GUI
  • scroll bar if screen resolution is too low for menu
  • theme database http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Theme-database

@dreamcat4

How are you doing? It's good to see you are back again :)

How's your Overclocking going? I OverClocked my rig once it was going quite well but the CPU temperature was concerning so I turned everything back to its normal state but the performance difference was noticeable it boosted my GPU performance as well.

I'm using AMD Graphics and still struggling with sleep, I was shuffling through different IOReg data from different computers IOreg from original Macintosh computers and noticed some Power Management differences and testing all the possible configurations and DSDT patches but nothing so far.

How's your computer sleep state? Are you still using Intel Graphics or if so how is the acceleration working out is it still buggy or it's been fixed?

<p>

@dreamcat4

How are you doing? It's good to see you are back again :)

How's your Overclocking going? I OverClocked my rig once it was going quite well but the CPU temperature was concerning so I turned everything back to its normal state but the performance difference was noticeable it boosted my GPU performance as well.

I'm using AMD Graphics and still struggling with sleep, I was shuffling through different IOReg data from different computers IOreg from original Macintosh computers and noticed some Power Management differences and testing all the possible configurations and DSDT patches but nothing so far.

How's your computer sleep state? Are you still using Intel Graphics or if so how is the acceleration working out is it still buggy or it's been fixed?[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Hi cyberdevs, I'm doing fine thank you for asking.

Overclocking:

My overclocking seems fine, and within the typical operating range for these i5-6600k cpus it seems. Which is to say there is 1 weaker / more defective core (the 3rd core on my one). Which always fails first before the other cores. As for temps, my idle temp used to be about 24^c for 4.4Ghz @ stock 1.2 auto-volting. Which was also great because on windows with Gigabyte's SIV utility the CPU fan would stop running entirely. Wheras on 1.37 volts (4.6GHz) the idle temp is almost double, at 53^C. So am just trying to reduce voltage more until hit the point of instability again. Using the latest BIOS with Prime95 fix is also recommended for a slightly higher / better system stability.

Using OS X:

The thing about OS X is a basic testing and not used as my daily machine yet. Because many other setup to do on other machines first. Once I've finished with those other backlog tasks will eventually move on to giving OS X more time. Which fits better the release timeline for new GPUs, which have not come out yet.

Intel HD530:

We continue to wait for new Skylake Intel Macs with a proper updated HD530 IGP support apple kexts. Naturally it may come before a Mac support of new 14/16nm Pascal / Polaris GPUs. Depending if e.g. NVidia release updated 3rd party driver for Pascal when it is released etc. I'm not concerned.

The thing about the intel graphics is that there is no 2nd screen support, or 3d acceleration given it is actually loading the VESA driver. Not the intel one. Screen artifacts are a little bit visually distracting. So for all those basic-ness, the intel graphics is not pleasant enough for constant use yet. It is ust enough to login and test other things for time being.

Sleep:

Sorry cyberdevs but I didn't test sleep functin at all / whatsoever. Because never used sleep function on my previous Mac (a Mac Mini). So I have not paid too much attention to sleep issues here yet because they are not as important to me as the other aspect of OS X support. Also with Skylake, the idle power consumption is very much lower now so I just turn off the monitor and don't worry too much about needing to sleep the computer. Of course it is nice to try to solve sleep issues if possible but it's very low down for me on long list of other things.

Thank you dreamt for your detailed response :)

I don't care about computer's sleep because eI don't use it either the only computer I use the sleep is my laptop which is ok because it's a MacBook Air, but since it doesn't work on my new computer it became more of a challenge to get it to work. It's a personal thing :)

Although my screen goes to sleep and wakes up from it just fine and that's enough for me. I just wanted to know the progress on the IGFX which as you explained it's still not working.

anyways, thanks again and keep us posted on your progress.

Hi cyberdevs, I'm doing fine thank you for asking.

Overclocking:

My overclocking seems fine, and within the typical operating range for these i5-6600k cpus it seems. Which is to say there is 1 weaker / more defective core (the 3rd core on my one). Which always fails first before the other cores. As for temps, my idle temp used to be about 24^c for 4.4Ghz @ stock 1.2 auto-volting. Which was also great because on windows with Gigabyte's SIV utility the CPU fan would stop running entirely. Wheras on 1.37 volts (4.6GHz) the idle temp is almost double, at 53^C. So am just trying to reduce voltage more until hit the point of instability again. Using the latest BIOS with Prime95 fix is also recommended for a slightly higher / better system stability.

Nice o/c! 1,1Ghz over stock is really impressive! I stick to the default 4.4 from bios because it's hassle free and i get the performance boost i need for the handbrake i use.

Normally you shouldn't have any problems with sleep it should work ofb. when your oc settings stabilize please feel free to share them.

set whatever mode you want for your liquid cooler in windows (quiet, performance, etc.) and then disconnect the usb connection from your motherboard. this should fix the sleep issue.

I also used pmset to disable autopoweroff and standby to prevent the system from hibernating as hibernation is not working (probably has something to do with the fact that the disk image file is only 32G but I have 64G of RAM)... but regular sleep works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out to get rid of excessive boot entries finally:

1. delete all PCI boot entries with bcfg in UEFI Shell (you can delete all entries except the HD entry of your EFI partition with Clover on it)
2. write custom boot entry in Clover config.plist for all partitions you wanna boot
3. disable scan for "Kernels", "Entries", and "Legacy" in Clover config.plist
4. delete "BOOT" folder in /EFI (I also deleted the Apple folder – I think, it makes no sense on Hackintosh?).

Now there won't be written excessive entries to NVRAM anymore.

• Like 3