[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Thanks for the good news owbp!

To be on the safe side, I'd like to keep a backup of my current installation on another internal HD. How should I go about doing it, to make sure that the clone will be bootable?

* Erase the target volume using Disk Utility and creating a single HFS partition

* Clone using CCC

* Clone Recovery HD

* Install Clover on clone disk, but by choosing which options at the installer? 

* Copy the EFI folder of my working EFI partition to the EFI partition of the clone drive

I'm asking because I performed the above procedure on another (non DELL) Hackintosh and I messed everything up (mainly clover wouldn't boot my system even from the original drive). I'm afraid I ticked something extremely devastating on the clover installer and I don't want to repeat the same catastrophe on my Optiplex.

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

update to 10.11.2 was easy on my Optiplex 755 MT. Nothing to restore after update. Even AppleHDA.kext ! And SATA devices are now visible in System Information :)

@ernani. If your target disk has the same size or is larger than the source. You can use dd.

The best method is to boot from an install disk or usb or HD recovery. Launch Terminal from tools menu (just after choosing installation langage).

Verify twice the numbers of source/target disks with "diskutil list" before dd :angel: .

#dd if=/dev/disk# of=/dev/disk# bs=1m

You will get a perfect copy (same EFI/HFS/Recovery, same UUID). You can swap the disks when copy is finished to test the target clone.

Thanks FilBip! Using dd is like using CloneZilla. This is what I'll probably end up doing to be on the safe side. Nevertheless I'd still like to know if there is also a safe way to make a working bootable clone using CarbonCopyCloner...

hey folks, Updated my Dell 755 sff to 10.11.2 today and while everything updated without an issue I have noticed that the internal fan seems to be working considerably harder. Checked activity monitor and cannot see any app eating resources.  anyone else experiencing this??

Just to be sure before I update to 10.11.2. Do I update from the App store and let the mac handle the upgrade?

Yes, no problem.

Since I moved to Clover, I had zero issues updating from the Mac App Store. And I did a lot of updates with all those Dev & Public betas + GM and public releases ;).

I'm not saying you'll always be safe nor that Chameleon can't do the same but honestly, updating that way causes no problem anymore for quite a long time now and failures often occurs because of a bad/dirty installed systems (those who use the M***BeASt thing for example <_<).

• Like 1

First of all - Many Thanks for the Great work

But I Cannot log in to the Appstore "Your device or computer could not be verified...."

I followed the steps 8-12

ans additionally I tried it with Darwin Dumper on a real mac with the same failure

Can someone tell me on which position I must paste the MLB and ROM Value

greets

ede

Could you guide me through the proper steps to take the edits for ATI 5450 HD from DSDT in order for me to combine with my DSDT for my 755? I want to be able to achieve sleep/wake. That's the only card i have and i'd like to keep it in that system.  Thanks in advance..

@ede1103

Don't mix unrelated things ;).

App Store access needs an Ethernet kext loaded and should be seen as en0. You have 2 Network kext in the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip, chose one and install it in S/L/E using Kext Wizard for instance (you can also try in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 but it may not completely work).

The part with MLB and ROM value is not necessary at all. Anyway, it only concerns iMessage activation. This is not related to App Store access nor iCloud. In fact, you should leave the RtVariables section completely empty (except for CsrActiveConfig which must be 0x3 or 0x67).

@Blaggah

Post your DSDT.aml AND IOreg from IOregistry Explorer (File Menu > Save as…) so I can do the edits for you.

@Blaggah

Honestly, I'm really not sure I completely understood what your trying to do :unsure:.

From what I read, you have a 755 model with an AMD Radeon HD 5450 and you want to combine the edits of the DSDT in OP with… what ? :wacko:

There are two DSDTs in OP : a generic one that can be use for any other GFX card and an already edited one for AMD Radeon HD 5450 Series. So you don't need to edit anything !

Just use the later and you'll be fine ;). This DSDT will work with 755 models as well including sleep/wake :).

@polyzargone Yes, that's exactly what i'm trying to achieve. The DSDT I'm using on my 755 is the one with the edits for AMD Radeon HD 5450, and i have no sleep/wake with that. It actually never fully goes to sleep. Mouse, keyboard, and screen go off, but the pc doesn't go to sleep itself.  Where as if i use the DSDT for the 755, sleep/wake works and my hd5450 doesn't. 

So you have a fully working DSDT (which is different from the one provided in OP) for 755 models with no GFX edits for the 5450 ? Right ?

The patch is pretty simple but I need to know where top apply it ;)

Basically, it's like this :

Device (PEGP)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Name (_SUN, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x12)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                "Slot-1", 
                                "name", 
                                "Display Controller", 
                                "device-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@0,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@2,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@3,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"model", 
                                Buffer (0x13)
                                {
                                    "AMD Radeon HD 5450"
                                }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
            }

The point here is that you probably don't have a PEGP device. That's why I need this particular DSDT and an IOReg so I can determine where's the 5450 is attached in the PCI0 device tree.

So you have a fully working DSDT (which is different from the one provided in OP) for 755 models with no GFX edits for the 5450 ? Right ?

The patch is pretty simple but I need to know where top apply it ;)

Basically, it's like this :

Device (PEGP)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Name (_SUN, One)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x12)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                "Slot-1", 
                                "name", 
                                "Display Controller", 
                                "device-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@0,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@2,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@3,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"model", 
                                Buffer (0x13)
                                {
                                    "AMD Radeon HD 5450"
                                }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
            }
The point here is that you probably don't have a PEGP device. That's why I need this particular DSDT and an IOReg so I can determine where's the 5450 is attached in the PCI0 device tree.

Yes, that's correct. I attempted to. Upload the DSDT and ioreg file the day you asked me but for some reason I couldn't lupload them, I will do so as soon as I get back from Vacation.

Does anyone know the cause and/or solution to the "b1f: init5" boot loop problem?

I've been unable to get the USB install to work even though I am certain I've faithfully/properly implemented the instructions. When I boot from USB, the result is the screen shows "b1f: init5" then reboots and repeats the same cycle (boot loops) endlessly until I force the Optiplex 780 to shutdown. Even though I've been doing the Hackintosh/FrankenMac thing for years, including way back when it was a miracle to do it successfully, this problem makes me feel like a newb. I have three Optiplex 780s running various multi-boot combinations of OSX and Windows variations successfully with various boot loaders but this has me totally stumped. 

Optiplex 780, 3.16GHz, HD5450 (also have one running HD6450), 8GB, OS X1 0.10 (also have OS X 10.9.5 running), Windows 10 (also have Windows 7 running).

Does anyone know the cause and/or solution to the "b1f: init5" boot loop problem?

I've been unable to get the USB install to work even though I am certain I've faithfully/properly implemented the instructions. When I boot from USB, the result is the screen shows "b1f: init5" then reboots and repeats the same cycle (boot loops) endlessly until I force the Optiplex 780 to shutdown. Even though I've been doing the Hackintosh/FrankenMac thing for years, including way back when it was a miracle to do it successfully, this problem makes me feel like a newb. I have three Optiplex 780s running various multi-boot combinations of OSX and Windows variations successfully with various boot loaders but this has me totally stumped. 

Optiplex 780, 3.16GHz, HD5450 (also have one running HD6450), 8GB, OS X1 0.10 (also have OS X 10.9.5 running), Windows 10 (also have Windows 7 running).

Hmmm… How many bootloaders do you have and where ? Any Chameleon/Chimera beside Clover or multiple installs of Clover in different EFI partitions ?

That said, booting from the USB should work. Did you use the "Clover OS X El Capitan USB" to prepare the USB pen ?

Alternatively, you can try this way (step 5) which is pretty the same method. Just make sure you use the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip to finish the preparation of the install disk.

• Like 1

Hmmm… How many bootloaders do you have and where ? Any Chameleon/Chimera beside Clover or multiple installs of Clover in different EFI partitions ?

That said, booting from the USB should work. Did you use the "Clover OS X El Capitan USB" to prepare the USB pen ?

Alternatively, you can try this way (step 5) which is pretty the same method. Just make sure you use the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip to finish the preparation of the install disk.

After many attempts to get an El Capitan installation USB to work I finally succeeded. I used MacPwn El Capitan.mkpg (there are two versions, one for Hackintosh and one for real Macs) to prepare the USB drive with CLOVER legacy then replaced the CLOVER folder in the EFI folder and put the Generic DSDT.aml into the Patched folder located n the ACPI folder located in the CLOVER folder. I also removed the HD5450 graphics card and used the Optiplex 780's built-in Intel graphics. I ran the USB installer and waited and waited and waited... until the El Capitan installation page appeared, it took a verrrrrrrryyyyyyy looooonnnnng time. I plugged an external 100GB drive into a usb port and installed El Capitan on it. That also took a very long time.  I am going to make a backup for restoration/installation instead of using the El Capitan installation USB drive. I don't know why the installation of El Capitan is so slow, installation of previous versions of OSX weren't.

• Like 1

Probably because the USB pen/100 GB drive was connected but seen as USB 1.1 and also the fact you were using Intel's built-in graphics chipset.

But this is still a very strange issue… You're the only one having such problems just booting off the USB pen so far…

Anyway, it worked ! :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Probably because the USB pen/100 GB drive was connected but seen as USB 1.1 and also the fact you were using Intel's built-in graphics chipset.

But this is still a very strange issue… You're the only one having such problems just booting off the USB pen so far…

Anyway, it worked ! :thumbsup_anim:

I partitioned the 100GB usb drive into 3 partitions, first reducing the single partition that El Capitan is installed on to 25GB, then made another 25GB and a 50GB partition. I used Time Machine to backup the El Capitan installation onto the blank 25GB partition before I made any further changes. Since then, I've got everything working, including the audio/sound which I couldn't get working with the injection method, I used AppleHDADisabler 1.0.1 and VoodooHDA 2.8.4 from one of my other Hackintosh/FrankenMac Dell 780s and the audio/sound fully works. I had trouble getting my Netis usb wireless N dongle (RealTek 8178) working but, after a lot of searching and reading on the net, I found an El Capitan compatible install package it works with http://www.osx86.net/file/4587-all-in-one-kext-for-realtek-wireless-usb-adapters-el-capitan-ready/ .Next, I am going to try getting an NVIDIA GT-430 graphics card working because I got it for $20 and it has better specs than the HD5450 and HD6450. If anyone knows how to get the GT-430 working with El Capitan, and posts it in this thread, that would be great.

Man, this is a totally crazy story !

I mean, there's no reason you had to do all that stuff to make your Optiplex working as it should… I don't know where or when you messed up but I'm sure you did at some point.

But once again, it works so who cares :D !

Next, I am going to try getting an NVIDIA GT-430 graphics card working because I got it for $20 and it has better specs than the HD5450 and HD6450. If anyone knows how to get the GT-430 working with El Capitan, and posts it in this thread, that would be great.

The Generic DSDT should do the job unless there's once again something really wrong with your setup :wacko:

Man, this is a totally crazy story !

I mean, there's no reason you had to do all that stuff to make your Optiplex working as it should… I don't know where or when you messed up but I'm sure you did at some point.

But once again, it works so who cares :D !

The Generic DSDT should do the job unless there's once again something really wrong with your setup :wacko:

I've decided not to use the NVIDIA Gt 430, it uses a fan and blasts out lots of heat. I tried using my HD 6450 which is recognized with the plain DSDT file but it won't wake from sleep properly, it tries to wake but has a blank/black screen. I've read that others have this problem but haven't been able to find a solution. Any ideas about how to fix this?