[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Just unzip the DSDT.aml in the link I gave you and replace current DSDT.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched by this one.

That's it :D !

Success!!!  Well sort of :)

I took out the video card and ran of the MB and it completed the install using the onboard video. I have the network up and it seems to work fine. Many many thanks for all your help. I am not sure I installed the clover configurator nor do I fully understand how that works but I will do some more reading and research. I decided to go ahead and remove the USB drive and try to run form the HD. It immediately went into panic mode. I attached a screen shot. When I boot from the USB and select install from HD it goes right in. Just does not seem to be able to boot off the HD. I am sure I missed a step or did something wrong. Bottom line though....I have it up and running for the most part. If you have a suggestion on getting it to boot without the USB drive I am all ears :)

Again. I really appreciate your patience! 

post-1662939-0-13017000-1455153326_thumb.jpg

post-1662939-0-39760400-1455153477_thumb.jpg

Fine !

What about the Radeon ? Did you put it back ?

Installation of Clover in the EFI of your hard drive should be the easy one. Check that you strictly followed this part of the guide :

8. Installing The Clover Bootloader on Your Hackintosh

Most important here is to make sure you replaced the whole CLOVER folder (and not merge) and you should be fine. Also, don't forget to copy the DSDT.aml (whether it's the HD 5450 or the Generic, you must use one of them).

Fine !

Installation of Clover in the EFI of your hard drive should be the easy one. Check that you strictly followed this part of the guide :

Most important here is to make sure you replaced the whole CLOVER folder (and not merge) and you should be fine. Also, don't forget to copy the DSDT.aml (whether it's the HD 5450 or the Generic, you must use one of them).

I just put the radeon back in and it hangs at the same spot. I took it out and it doesn't hang. Seems to be the main issue. Maybe a bad card incompatible card. 

I tried step 8 again. Not sure what I did wrong the first time but it works now !!!! :)

You think I should try a different card? 

Thanks again for all the help!

Fine !

When I try the other card I assume I need to copy the correct dsdt file to the patched folder before I restart. If it hangs how do I get back to the EFI folder to copy the other dsdt file back to it? Will booting into recover mode allow me drive and file access to the EFI partition? Also, are there other brands of low profle cards that will work? I may try a different model.

Thanks again!

When I try the other card I assume I need to copy the correct dsdt file to the patched folder before I restart. If it hangs how do I get back to the EFI folder to copy the other dsdt file back to it? Will booting into recover mode allow me drive and file access to the EFI partition? Also, are there other brands of low profle cards that will work? I may try a different model.

Thanks again!

One thing you can try is to copy both DSDTs in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched with different names : i.e. DSDT.aml and DSDT2.aml

At Clover's boot menu, type O (the letter) and go to DSDT fix mask then type chosen name in "DSDT name :"

That way, you can load any DSDT you want for testing purpose. On next boot, the default DSDT will be loaded (the one that is strictly named DSDT.aml).

BTW, did you tried the Generic DSDT yet ? If your HD 5450 is not really an HD 5450, this particular DSDT should work since it's designed for all other graphics cards regardless they're AMD or NVIDIA.

• Like 1

One thing you can try is to copy both DSDTs in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched with different names : i.e. DSDT.aml and DSDT2.aml

At Clover's boot menu, type O (the letter) and go to DSDT fix mask then type chosen name in "DSDT name :"

That way, you can load any DSDT you want for testing purpose. On next boot, the default DSDT will be loaded (the one that is strictly named DSDT.aml).

BTW, did you tried the Generic DSDT yet ? If your HD 5450 is not really an HD 5450, this particular DSDT should work since it's designed for all other graphics cards regardless they're AMD or NVIDIA.

I tried the card with the generic driver and lit locked up at the Bluetooth controller not found. What is interesting is that without the card in the Bluetooth error does not show up. Thanks for the info on the boot up. I will try that. Will be sending back my card and try a different one.

Fine !

Just a followup about the issue I was having in case others run into this. It turned out that the card I was using was the entire problem. I just installed this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U4WYLU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 

and copied over the ATI driver and it booted right and it works great! 

Many thanks for hanging in there with me :)

BTW this is the card that I tried first and did not work......   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5YUMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my nvidia card (gt 740) to work with a machine installed using this guide and, to be frank, the replies on this thread are kind of hard to follow.

Could someone tell me how far we've progressed with this? Or even if there's already a fix available?

Here's a tonymacx86 thread I've already discussed this on, but to no avail:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/168101-gt-740-el-capitan-public-beta-ugh.html

Thanks in advance.

@Otuku

Looks like the 740GT doesn't work OOB. Anyway, you should still be able to install OS X. But before, it would be a great idea to download and copy the matching webdrivers for your OS X version. Have a look here and choose the right ones.

Then just follow the guide in post #1 and use the Generic DSDT. Since the 740GT absolutely needs the webdrivers, you'll have to add nv_disable=1 in Clover's boot-args. Install OS X as usual and reboot on the newly created OS X partition with the same nv_disable=1 boot-arg.

At this point, you'll have to install the webdrivers on your system and add nvda_drv=1 in config.plist in order to enable them on next reboot. The installer should automatically do this but who knows, it's better to be safe than sorry ;).

Good luck !

Now that I pretty much have my first hackintosh under my belt...I was wondering.....how easy is it to setup a multi boot system with windows and maybe linux? I wasn't too sure but it looks like the preferred method is to install Windows first which I clearly didn't do. I have a 1TB drive and I believe I partitioned it all for OSX.

@bclinton

Looks like you edited your last post where you were asking about the way to deal with Clover's AppleHDA injection :P. Anyway, let me clarify post #1 for everyone and once for all :

Everyting is explained in the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 > Kexts > Sound > Clover_AppleHDA folder. It's not that hard ! And this has nothing to do with HDMI audio though it will enable it too ;).

Edit and install AppleHDA for Clover on-the-fly patching :

• Copy original AppleHDA from System/Library/Extensions to Desktop

• Right-click on AppleHDA and select "Show package content"

• Copy layout1.zml.zlib and Platforms.zml.zlib in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

• Install in System/Library/Extensions using Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 > Utilities > Kext Wizard

• Open a terminal window and run this command : 

sudo kextcache -prelinked kernel

• Copy realtekALC.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 folder.

• Replace current config.plist by Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 > Kexts > Sound > Clover_AppleHDA/config.plist

• Reboot twice.

@bclinton

Looks like you edited your last post where you were asking about the way to deal with Clover's AppleHDA injection :P. Anyway, let me clarify post #1 for everyone and once for all :

Everyting is explained in the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 > Kexts > Sound > Clover_AppleHDA folder. It's not that hard ! And this has nothing to do with HDMI audio though it will enable it too ;).

Yup. I deleted the question after I tried the first method and saw that it worked :)

Right now I think my entire Hackintosh works :)

• Like 1

@Otuku

Looks like the 740GT doesn't work OOB. Anyway, you should still be able to install OS X. But before, it would be a great idea to download and copy the matching webdrivers for your OS X version. Have a look here and choose the right ones.

Then just follow the guide in post #1 and use the Generic DSDT. Since the 740GT absolutely needs the webdrivers, you'll have to add nv_disable=1 in Clover's boot-args. Install OS X as usual and reboot on the newly created OS X partition with the same nv_disable=1 boot-arg.

At this point, you'll have to install the webdrivers on your system and add nvda_drv=1 in config.plist in order to enable them on next reboot. The installer should automatically do this but who knows, it's better to be safe than sorry ;).

Good luck !

Thanks, but I already done that to no avail.

From multiple other threads, I'm getting the impression that the GT 740 /IS/ compatible with El Capitan if you're using the product ID iMac14,1. Obviously I haven't been able to test this, as the USB fixes in the DSDT are only compatible with iMac10,1 (that's what I'm assuming anyway. Not a professional over here).

Q: Can anyone tell me how to alter the generic DSDT so that will work with other product IDs?

@Otuku

OK.

I don't have time to read the whole thread @TonyMac (45 p :shock:) so could you post a link pointing out to your own post(s) ? Or at lest, tell us where the installation exactly hangs ?

Would be great if you could post your whole EFI folder. Could help :unsure:.

Q: Can anyone tell me how to alter the generic DSDT so that will work with other product IDs?

I'm afraid it won't change anything. Generic DSDT doesn't contain any vendor/device ID and AFAIK, there's no need to fake IDs with NVIDIA hardware. Actually, there's no "working" IDs to fake :P.

NVIDIA injection simply doesn't work the way AMD does.

Problem is elsewhere IMO…

:blush: Ooops… missed that part :

From multiple other threads, I'm getting the impression that the GT 740 /IS/ compatible with El Capitan if you're using the product ID iMac14,1. Obviously I haven't been able to test this, as the USB fixes in the DSDT are only compatible with iMac10,1 (that's what I'm assuming anyway. Not a professional over here).

So you were talking about SMBios and not vendor/device IDs :P.

You're correct. I'd even say an iMac14,2 would be perfect. However, I managed to make my 730 GT working on El Cap with a 13,1 so I guess this is between the two. An iMac10,1 SMBios is probably not enough/too old.

So the obvious solution would be to change from iMac10,1 to 14,2 but I don't know what could be the side effects on the USB_Injector.kext since it's designed specifically for an iMac10,1. You may try to edit the info.plist inside the kext to match the 14,2…

But there could be a power management issue because iMac14,2 SMBios means Haswell architecture which is very different than Core2Duo…

@polyzargone Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm afraid it won't change anything. Generic DSDT doesn't contain any vendor/device ID and AFAIK, there's no need to fake IDs with NVIDIA hardware. Actually, there's no "working" IDs to fake :P.

NVIDIA injection simply doesn't work the way AMD does.

Problem is elsewhere IMO…

So you were talking about SMBios and not vendor/device IDs :P.

Oh ok, my bad. I probably should have mentioned I'm almost a complete noob to hackintoshing :P

You're correct. I'd even say an iMac14,2 would be perfect. However, I managed to make my 730 GT working on El Cap with a 13,1 so I guess this is between the two. An iMac10,1 SMBios is probably not enough/too old.

So the obvious solution would be to change from iMac10,1 to 14,2 but I don't know what could be the side effects on the USB_Injector.kext since it's designed specifically for an iMac10,1. You may try to edit the info.plist inside the kext to match the 14,2…

That's interesting, I'll definitely give it a go.

But there could be a power management issue because iMac14,2 SMBios means Haswell architecture which is very different than Core2Duo…

Well it's worth a try I suppose. I'll keep a backup just in case, though.

There's probably a way to alter the kext for non-Haswell hardware, too...

Thank you!

#UPDATE:

I can't find USB_Injector.kext in /system/library/extensions, nor in my EFI partition.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Or is it possible that I don't have it? Could it be under a different name?

I was not the one who built my computer.

#UPDATE:

I can't find USB_Injector.kext in /system/library/extensions, nor in my EFI partition.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Or is it possible that I don't have it? Could it be under a different name?

I was not the one who built my computer.

Should be in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

Anyway, maybe it's best you start from scratch and do it by yourself ;).

The guide is pretty easy to follow, you just have to read it to the letter and you should be fine. Hackintoshing not only requires a bit of knowledge but a lot of personal involvement :P.

When it's done, I'll help you customize USB_Injector.kext & config.plist for use with an iMac14,2 SMBios… if needed :D

Should be in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

Anyway, maybe it's best you start from scratch and do it by yourself ;).

The guide is pretty easy to follow, you just have to read it to the letter and you should be fine. Hackintoshing not only requires a bit of knowledge but a lot of personal involvement :P.

When it's done, I'll help you customize USB_Injector.kext & config.plist for use with an iMac14,2 SMBios… if needed :D

Trust me, I would have built it myself if I knew this guide existed.

As far as I knew, prebuilt, hackintoshable machines were pretty hard to come by, and I just don't have the money to put the hardware together from scratch.

I might consider reinstalling if that's what it takes, I guess. Thanks for all of your help.

• Like 1

Trust me, I would have built it myself if I knew this guide existed.

As far as I knew, prebuilt, hackintoshable machines were pretty hard to come by, and I just don't have the money to put the hardware together from scratch.

I might consider reinstalling if that's what it takes, I guess. Thanks for all of your help.

I can attest that building it from scratch is the way to go. I started to buy one prebuilt off of Ebay (Optiplex780) for $150 but decided to get the machine for $50 and go at it myself. I had a few hiccups along the way but the folks on this site walked me through things and I now have a fully functional Mac. I even picked up another one from Ebay to try for #2. I don't have the knowledge the folks on here have but building one sure helped me understand more....

• Like 1

@bclinton

Well as luck would have it I am having issues with getting the sound working with my second build. I believe I simply followed step one with the first one and the sound started working. I did the same with this one no luck. I am afraid I may have tried to much. Is there a way to take my sound config back to stock and start over? Or do I need to reload the hackintosh from scratch? I ask because I have tried multiple methods and am not sure what state the sound profile is in now but I do no I get no sound and have no outputs. 

No, you don't need to reinstall OS X :D

Assuming you're running OS X 10.11.3 (15D21), install the attached AppleHDA.kext, rebuild cache with the following commands and reboot :

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Make sure you have the correct Clover's patches in Kernel and Kexts Patches in Clover Configurator and that realtekALC.kext is in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11.

However, I think there's maybe something wrong in both Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v4 & Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 :unsure:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

No, you don't need to reinstall OS X :D

Assuming you're running OS X 10.11.3 (15D21), install the attached AppleHDA.kext, rebuild cache with the following commands and reboot :

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Make sure you have the correct Clover's patches in Kernel and Kexts Patches in Clover Configurator and that realtekALC.kext is in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11.

However, I think there's maybe something wrong in both Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v4 & Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 :unsure:

I get the following with the last command

Bills-iMac:~ bclinton$ sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext realtekALC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext Intel82566MM.kext

File at path '/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel' changed, cannot be used

Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[491] exited with status 77.

Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel