[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Version: 10.11.2 (15C50)

Dell 780, HDD 500GB, 4GB RAM, AMD 5450 512MB, E5300

installation went smoothly, sound works, ethernet works.

Last night i left the machine on for some downloads to finish and in the morning 1/3 of downloads didn't finish, and i try to ping something and can't, like network stopped working, event router suspicion was canceled. 

after OS X restart, ethernet started working. didn't tried to restart service. 

any hints?

Version: 10.11.2 (15C50)

Dell 780, HDD 500GB, 4GB RAM, AMD 5450 512MB, E5300

installation went smoothly, sound works, ethernet works.

Last night i left the machine on for some downloads to finish and in the morning 1/3 of downloads didn't finish, and i try to ping something and can't, like network stopped working, event router suspicion was canceled. 

after OS X restart, ethernet started working. didn't tried to restart service. 

any hints?

Which driver did you use for ethernet ? On my 790 I used AppleIntelE1000e.kext and found the newer version on http://sourceforge.net/projects/osx86drivers/files/Kext/Snow_or_Above/to resolve my network problems.

• Like 1

But once again, don't get me wrong ! Chris's Installer is a quick and easy one that also works great ;).

Of course, I tried MyHack once for Mavericks and Chris' installer once here when you guys started yelling at me... :P  :hysterical:

I've learned this by heart, but i understand that for some guys Chris' method is a real gem. 

• Like 1

Of course, I tried MyHack once for Mavericks and Chris' installer once here when you guys started yelling at me... :P  :hysterical:

I've learned this by heart, but i understand that for some guys Chris' method is a real gem. 

Don't laugh , but I actually looked at the installer's applescript to see what it did and executed by hand :D

• Like 1

That's why I said this :

The method available here works for every OS X version (post Snow Leopard) :whistle:.

But once again, don't get me wrong ! Chris's Installer is a quick and easy one that also works great ;).

Guide updated to address  issue. :)

I keep telling you guys, it's not my Guide, it's yours!  :yes:

• Like 1

Hello DELL Optiplex User  :D

maybe some people here wants trying to enable the SATA 6 gig

on her computer ? This is not guarantee for any DELL but maybe yes on the 755?

Thats possible this is working OOB for me on my DELL Precision 690  B)

Take a look here  :D   :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307920-guide-clover-dell-precision-690-workstation/?p=2203668

Or you can enable the USB 3.0  :thumbsup_anim:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307920-guide-clover-dell-precision-690-workstation/?p=2209574

Would this guide work on a dell optiplex 760 usff?

Hmm… No PCI-e slot in those models if I'm correct. Unfortunately, the integrated Intel GMA chipset is not compatible with OS X so I'd say no. Well, actually it will install but you won't ever had any graphics acceleration…

Hmm… No PCI-e slot in those models if I'm correct. Unfortunately, the integrated Intel GMA chipset is not compatible with OS X so I'd say no. Well, actually it will install but you won't ever had any graphics acceleration…

no problem I have a 960 tower but only a nvidia 8400gs would that work? It's a pcie card

I updated from 10.11.2 to 10.11.3 which caused USB 2 and Bluetooth to stop working. I removed the DSDT and used Clover's USB injection which has fixed it, somewhat. Sometimes after booting, the USB 2 and Bluetooth loads properly and works, other times they don't. Also, wake from sleep for any graphics card other than the HD 5450 used with its related DSDT wasn't fixed with the 10.11.3 update. If you have a working 10.11.2 installation, stay away from 10.11.3.

hey ppl, I have dell 755 sff and dell 760 sff, both running OS X 10.11.3 using a Evga gt 610 graphics card and both using a tp link wireless USB adapter. I have run these using the guides above since 10.9.0 and they have worked seamlessly without any issue.  Because I have never had any real issue I have never looked into the troubleshooting side of things.  Since the upgrade to EL capitan the dell 760 Sff is randomly experiencing an issue where it locks for about 5 secs and then reboots and when i check the console entries pre reboot it does not show anything that reoccurs or kernel panics. The only thing i have noticed is the reboots do not occur when the Wireless USB is not connected. I have checked with alternative usb wi fi adapters and the issue occurs. Being a relative noob to this can anyone give me a few more pointers to help me trouble shoot this problem. Advise about any tools or apps that might give me more info on the reboots would be greatly appreciated. 

hey ppl, I have dell 755 sff and dell 760 sff, both running OS X 10.11.3 using a Evga gt 610 graphics card and both using a tp link wireless USB adapter. I have run these using the guides above since 10.9.0 and they have worked seamlessly without any issue.  Because I have never had any real issue I have never looked into the troubleshooting side of things.  Since the upgrade to EL capitan the dell 760 Sff is randomly experiencing an issue where it locks for about 5 secs and then reboots and when i check the console entries pre reboot it does not show anything that reoccurs or kernel panics. The only thing i have noticed is the reboots do not occur when the Wireless USB is not connected. I have checked with alternative usb wi fi adapters and the issue occurs. Being a relative noob to this can anyone give me a few more pointers to help me trouble shoot this problem. Advise about any tools or apps that might give me more info on the reboots would be greatly appreciated. 

Try removing the DSDT and enabling usb injection in Clover. 

Here's what to play:

Folder icon (MT/SFF) for your desktop to store important data for the love Dell:

For About This Mac:

copy to

/Applications/Utilities/System Information.app/Contents/Resources/

For About This Mac, Change the black Monitor:

copy to

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes/Contents/Resources/public.generic-lcd.icns

For About This Mac, Memory:

post-1358580-0-48008100-1454259490_thumb.png

insert or replace at MAC_MEMORY_TEXT at

/Applications/Utilities/System Information.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/SPInfo.strings
or
/Applications/Utilities/System Information.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SPInfo.strings
or

have fun  :wub:

• Like 1

The 8400 should work OOB.

But I think it does not go with the DSDT from 780.

Would be worth a try.

You can do it but without DSDT try with the most important fixes in Clover's config.plist.

i don't have access to a Mac or a Mac virtual machine here at home but I do have access to an older Mac book air at work running the latest os so I will take my computer with me and try and use it to get everything I need

Then you buy but the Snow Leopard retail DVD in the AppStore and try the installation with example nawcom-ModeCD.

Then you later composing your Stick for El Capitan.
That is the normal way for all users here.

Then you buy but the Snow Leopard retail DVD in the AppStore and try the installation with example nawcom-ModeCD.

Then you later composing your Stick for El Capitan.

That is the normal way for all users here.

i work IT at a local hospital which is how I have access to the MacBook Air with elcaptain

hey guys,  anyone manage to get voodoo hda working with el capitan on the 760 ??? I installed version 2.6.2 and I have sound but the volume control does not work.

Why the hell would you want to do that ???

There's everything you need in post #1 to enable native AppleHDA. Not to mention that it's update-proof, has better sound quality and fully suports HDMI audio !

VoodooHDA should only be used when there's no other options :whistle:.

• Like 1

Has anyone been able to get 10.11.3 update fully working on an Optiplex 755, 760 or 780? I have the 780. If you have, how did you update?