[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Google is your friend!  :)

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Installation

Install RC scripts on target volume - These are the scripts rc.local and rc.shutdown.local that are executed while starting and while exiting OS X. They play a necessary role in the concept of Clover. You may not install them if you have no plans to use Clover (what are you doing here anyway then?).

• Like 1

hallo everyone, first of all thanks for your guide, I have been able to install YOSEMITE on my dell optiplex 780 with a 120Gb SSD and a sapphire Radeon 5450 graphic card.

I have WI-FI working on a €2 usb adapter (with dwa-140 system) only problem at every reboot have to go on it and reconnet (but stay connected if wake from sleep mode)

only 2 little problems... with an €1 bluetooth adapter have been able to connect the Apple Wireless Keyboard but it seems there is a problem due that it does not work always.... but on bluetooth preferences there are 2 devices (one as adman's keyboard and the other as c8-e0-eb-12-99-73) but both devices are the same keyboard... and anywise it doesn't work.

Second problem , I bought a monitor LG 25UM57 (with maximum resolution 2560x1080) but I am not able to switch to this resolution, it works at 1920x1080, I tried to use SwitchResX but .... no result.. hope you can help me... and hope I am not posting on the wrong place...

Regards

@MacPeet

I installed your patched AppleHDA.kext from post #197 (v2) on my Optiplex 755.

Sound is OK to rear line-out and front headphone :yes: , inputs are visible (but not yet tested).

I used the "patched AppleHDA" method : no clover patch in config.plist and no realtekALC injector kext, SIP 0x03, refresh cache and 2 reboots

I am glad to throw away VoodooHDA which needs a LaunchAgent script to refresh setup and stop static/input noises after each reboot.

Thanks a lot for this thread :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

I found a mono mic and Audacity to test my 755's sound inputs.

Line input works great :) but nothing comes from front microphone input  :(

Almost perfect. Using rear port is an easy workaround.

@jackeyg1

RCscripts are useful on our non-UEFI machines at least to dump nvram to /nvram.plist at shutdown and reload it at startup.

It is necessary to identify the DefaultBootDisk "LastBootedVolume" in config.plist.

You can also declare "sudo nvram Clover.MountEFI=Yes" to mount EFI partition at boot time.

:) 

@FilBip

try this for Mic front

AppleHDA_AD1984_Dell_Optiplex_755_try_this_v3.kext.zip  :wallbash:

AppleHDA_AD1984_Dell_Optiplex_755_try_this_v4.kext.zip  :wallbash:

@for other users 780/760 El Capitan (not on the fly with Clover)

AppleHDA_ADI1984A_Dell_Optiplex_780_(760)_10.11.kext.zip V272.50

AppleHDA_ADI1984A_Dell_Optiplex_780_(760)_10.11.1.kext.zip V272.50.31

on the fly with Clover for 780/760:             #213            

:wink_anim: Dell Optiplex  :wub:

• Like 1

Unfortunately, these versions are not better.

V3 : No device at all

V4 : outputs OK, only rear In Line appears and is functional. Front mic is not visible  :(

I am ready for further tests.

@owbp I have a microphone but any sound device with a jack cable could do the job :D  

Nope. It leads to my post as stated :P.

Read the first lines :

@InfinityGhost

For Clover, it's best to install Windows in UEFI mode. Even if Optiplex Bios isn't UEFI, it's still possible to use Clover to boot Windows UEFI.

See here and/or here. If you can't/don't want to erase your existing Windows install, you'll need to convert it to GPT/GUID partition scheme. See here.

But you may want to follow a different method than the one described in the first link and won't need the third since you want to install both Windows and OS X on the same drive where OS X is already installed onto. So I suggest you read the second link which is supposed to grant your wishes.

• Like 2

My apologies and thanks for the reading material. I'm looking to do a dual boot with one drive myself. The UEFI mode I noticed was one difference from this great guide I used to install El Capitan on my Dell 780. 

Gonna grab another drive and try the dual boot. Still don't understand how to install Windows in UEFI mode yet, but I'm going to study the links you just supplied.

Thanks again for all the help and especially this guide for the 780!

Well, there's nothing to understand about installing Windows in UEFI mode. It's just a choice. All you have to do is prepare the Windows Install disk as explained in the second link and use Clover to boot it on a non-UEFI Bios like the one in Optiplex 760/780/790 Series.

The rest of the process is identical to the one used to install Windows in a "standard" (Legacy) mode.

The main benefit is that Clover will boot Windows more flawlessly in UEFI mode than in Legacy mode because Clover is more a UEFI oriented bootloader than a Legacy oriented bootloader (which is what Chameleon actually is).

Also, keep in mind that using GPT/GUID partition scheme is more flexible and secure than using old MBR partition scheme. You'll have less risks to overwrite the boot files for instance ;).

Read this :D.

I like the tiny tiny text at the end :hysterical:

Well, there's nothing to understand about installing Windows in UEFI mode. It's just a choice. All you have to do is prepare the Windows Install disk as explained in the second link and use Clover to boot it on a non-UEFI Bios like the one in Optiplex 760/780/790 Series.

The rest of the process is identical to the one used to install Windows in a "standard" (Legacy) mode.

The main benefit is that Clover will boot Windows more flawlessly in UEFI mode than in Legacy mode because Clover is more a UEFI oriented bootloader than a Legacy oriented bootloader (which is what Chameleon actually is).

Also, keep in mind that using GPT/GUID partition scheme is more flexible and secure than using old MBR partition scheme. You'll have less risks to overwrite the boot files for instance ;).

Loving all this great advice, thank you!

Just want to make sure I have it right.

1. GPT/GUID preferred 

2. Install Windows as explained in the second link and 

Is there anything different from this guide if I'm starting from scratch again?

Example, how about this step (see below) from this Dell 780 guide... Do I choose "Clover V2.3K r3264 UEFI instead of ESP as shown?

15ywugi.png

1/ Yes

2/ Yes

and…

Nope.

This option is for UEFI mobos only. In fact, it does the same but it does NOT install any boot files at the root of the ESP (which stands for EFI System Partition). And with our old legacy Bios, it won't work at all. We need to choose to install Clover in the ESP.

The rest of the Guide is correct and should be followed to the letter :D. Just make sure you reserved enough blank space after the OS X partition for Windows and I insist on blank space. Do not format it in msdos FAT or anything else. Windows installer will handle this.

1/ Yes

2/ Yes

and…

Nope.

This option is for UEFI mobos only. In fact, it does the same but it does NOT install any boot files at the root of the ESP (which stands for EFI System Partition). And with our old legacy Bios, it won't work at all. We need to choose to install Clover in the ESP.

The rest of the Guide is correct and should be followed to the letter :D. Just make sure you reserved enough blank space after the OS X partition for Windows and I insist on blank space. Do not format it in msdos FAT or anything else. Windows installer will handle this.

Sorry, for my horrible lack of knowledge... from what point is the rest of the guide correct? 

From the start to the end :hysterical: !

Don't over-complicate this, this is really not that hard ! All you have to do is install OS X as explained in this guide and when you're done, just follow the other guide to install Windows.

And if you run into problems, then try again ;). This how you'll learn. In a way, you have the chance to play with almost empty OSes. It would be another story if you had a ton of important files and data :shock: !

• Like 1

From the start to the end :hysterical: !

Don't over-complicate this, this is really not that hard ! All you have to do is install OS X as explained in this guide and when you're done, just follow the other guide to install Windows.

And if you run into problems, then try again ;). This how you'll learn. In a way, you have the chance to play with almost empty OSes. It would be another story if you had a ton of important files and data :shock: !

OH ok, thanks for that... I was WAYYYYYY over complicating it  :lol:

I THINK I pretty much got it, gonna go give it a shot! Thanks again!!!!! 

Trying to setup the dual boot from the 2nd link from the UEFI windows guide. I noticed on Clover Setup they said to

“use alternative booting PBR” option ticked as shown below.

post-846696-0-25875500-1430613931_thumb.

On this Dell 780 guide and my current El Capitan installation it is not used. Should I reinstall with Use Alternative Booting PBR? Or is tis not relevant?

No. Well… this is actually not required.

Read carefully :

Chameleon/Clover Emergency Boot Disk
As an added bonus, by adding the attached Chameleon boot file to the root of the USB, you can use the installer as an emergency boot disk for Clover or Chameleon:

attachicon.gifChameleon boot1.png

Set your BIOS to boot first from USB ---> when you see the flashing underscore, press <1> to boot with Chameleon or <6> to boot with Clover :).

The option is meant to make possible the use of Chameleon (aka the alternative Booting PBR). Not using this option won't make the disk unbootable by Clover as long as you don't forget to press <6> to load it.

Remember that by default, the install disk boots with the Windows UEFI boot manager (bootmgfw.efi). That's why you must press <6> key to boot Clover.

• Like 1