[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Well actually, it wasn't working fine for some.

Now, I didn't noticed any problems so far on my Optiplex 760 but had some with my Dell D830 laptop which use a very similar USB_Injector.kext (only SMBios and port mapping differs).

For instance, when I plugged-in the Verbatim 8 Gb USB pen I use to install Windows 10, it complained that the port had not sufficient power and asked me to plug it in another port (of course, doing so didn't fixed anything :P). Another one is when I tried to connect my external USB DVD player.

The point is that the old version of USB_Injector.kext missed some information in the info.plist and it seems that's the reason why I had such problems. Adding them solved everything on the D830 so I assume that they'll do the same for the Optiplex.

So yes, it's normal that you don't see any differences since the mapping of the ports hasn't changed at all in the new version but you may find out later that using some USB devices are not really working as they should. That what owbp seems to have discovered and it doesn't surprise me because of the lack of these informations I was talking about above.

Hopefully, this new version will be the ultimate one that works in every possible situation ;).

Are you saying that you are trying to improve the USB Injector kext to the point of it working on all models of Optiplex 780, 760, 755, as well as all form factors?

I don't even know. but would Desktop form factor have 8 USB ports like Small Form Factor? Would Ultra Small Form Factor also have 8 USB Ports?

Would kext also be able to wrk with all models of Optiplex 755?

We already have seen that Sound is different on 755.

Are you saying that you are trying to improve the USB Injector kext to the point of it working on all models of Optiplex 780, 760, 755, as well as all form factors?

Improve, yes !

For it to work on all Optiplex models ? AFAIK it already does. Time and user reports will hopefully tell us if it's totally true :D.

I don't even know. but would Desktop form factor have 8 USB ports like Small Form Factor? Would Ultra Small Form Factor also have 8 USB Ports?

For USFF, can't tell atm. Nobody showed up :unsure:.

Would kext also be able to wrk with all models of Optiplex 755?

We already have seen that Sound is different on 755.

Well, I didn't see any report from 755 users that complains it doesn't work.

Sound is a totally different thing that needs more complex tweaking where USB port mapping is pretty much easy to fix since there's no fundamental differences between each Optiplex models.

No, the purpose of this new version is to fix last issues reported like lacks of power on some devices. As I said, there was some missing and needed informations (or properties if you prefer) in the info.plist file inside the kext.

From what I understood, those properties managed certain functions of USB ports like min/max power needs for some devices like USB pen, HDD, iPhone/iPad charging etc.

Typically, it looks like this :

8d9bbbd0-6b75-410e-b057-9c4d36b6b9cd.jpg

Which translate into : A USB device needs more power. Plug "STORE N GO" in another port of your Mac.

It's not a problem for all devices but can be with some. This new kext is intended to fix that. It won't do anything else, won't remove/add ports and should not break sleep (this one in particular needs to be tested ;)).

Ok i have successfully installed os x el capitan using ur guide. Thank u!

every thing is working good except shut down. When i shut it down the screen goes off after a few seconds but the power light on cpu keeps running also the graphic card fan keeps running. The ethernet and hard disk lights go off.

I also have w10 on this pc but shut down works fine on that.

Please tell me a solution for this

Ok i have successfully installed os x el capitan using ur guide. Thank u!

every thing is working good except shut down. When i shut it down the screen goes off after a few seconds but the power light on cpu keeps running also the graphic card fan keeps running. The ethernet and hard disk lights go off.

I also have w10 on this pc but shut down works fine on that.

Please tell me a solution for this

SO I  tried generating a new SMBIOS for iMac 10,1 and it worked ! Now everything is working perfectly!

• Like 1

Hey guys,

have anyone tried running at 4K resolution on OSX with 5450?

I see reports that this card is capable running 4K with windows xp, but isn't with windows 7. I wonder how it is with OSX. I'd love to be able connect it to 4K display (TV) through HDMI.

Hey guys,

have anyone tried running at 4K resolution on OSX with 5450?

I see reports that this card is capable running 4K with windows xp, but isn't with windows 7. I wonder how it is with OSX. I'd love to be able connect it to 4K display (TV) through HDMI.

I also read reports of successful 4k display with Radeon HD 5450 on Windows XP and yes, this doesn't seems to work on W7 (most likely it won't on W8/W10 either).

So I'd say, try and you'll see :D.

Now, the real question is what's the benefit apart being able to display huge resolutions if the hardware inside the 5450 isn't capable of decoding 4k content such as UHD video etc. ?

None IMHO…

New usb_injector seems to be working well, although I did not see any issues with the first edition. :)

Great ! Maybe you could replace the old version by this one in the v3 Clover.zip ? :).

I know on who's address this is posted to! :P

Not one problem with new injector kext, and i really did try to make one ^_^ - mounting all usb flash drives i can found, charging and syncing iPhone over usb, let it sleep for  5min or for hours... All smooth! :)

P.S. Since i installed new injector.kext I mounted my mouse, keyboard and Audio Interface at 3 ports that don't work natively, no problems there either.

• Like 2

I know on who's address this is posted to! :P

Not one problem with new injector kext, and i really try to make one ^_^ - mounting all usb flash drives i can found, charging and syncing iPhone over usb, let it sleep for  5min or for hours... All smooth! :)

P.S. Since i installed new injector.kext I mounted my mouse, keyboard and Audio Interface at 3 ports that don't work natively, no problems there either.

That's what I call a true and useful guinea pig ! Thanks a lot for testing and reporting this great news :D.

One more reason to add this new version to OP's Clover.zip so everyone can enjoy his Optiplex fully working !

• Like 2

5. Prepare Bootable USB Installer

I recommend using Chris1111's app for creating your USB Installer. It is a great timesaver!    :thumbsup_anim: 

1. Download App Here

2. Follow instructions in first Post for creating USB Installer

3. Select Install in ESP

4. Select Create Installer. This step may take some time, good time to get a cold drink.  :)

5. After App is finished, you will see EFI Partition of USB Installer on your Desktop.

6. Open EFI Partition, then open EFI Folder, copy and paste the clover folder from Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip, to the EFI Folder, choose to replace folder.

7. There are 2 different DSDT's in the Optiplex 780 (760) folder. Copy the appropriate DSDT for your installation to: EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.

8. Download the latest version of Clover Bootloader and copy it to the root of your USB Installer.

9. USB Installer Pen is Done!  :)

15ywugi.png

Many thanks to for all the hard work put in on this! 

I'm using Chris1111's app. After the quoted steps below are done, do I simply eject the just created installer USB from my mac then boot that USB on my Dell 760? Just wondering because of the mounted EFI. Don't want to screw anything up. I'm totally new to this, but I love it!!!!!!

Question...

I'm using Chris1111's app. After the quoted steps below are done, do I simply eject the just created installer USB from my mac then boot that USB on my Dell 760? Just wondering because of the mounted EFI. Don't want to screw anything up. I'm totally new to this, but I love it!!!!!!

As long as you follow this step :

Insert your USB Drive

and the name of the USB must be without any space

Start Installer

119.png

0310.png

You'll be fine.

The point here is to check that you're indeed installing on the USB drive renamed "USB".

Clover will auto-detect its EFI (btw, ESP stands for EFI System Partition = EFI) and will create all necessary files/folders in it, leaving your Mac own EFI partition untouched.

Excellent, thank you for the response.

I think I screwed up the first time by not naming the flash drive USB as you indicated. I got a panic when I booted on my 760 shortly after the apple logo. Running Chris1111 app again... hopefully this time will go smoother.

Getting excited here!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But this is the 2nd time I get a panic shortly after the Apple logo (see pic). I'm running Chris1111 app.

Also, according to the instructions

5.     When clover boot screen is visible, choose boot “Mac OS  X from El Capitan USB Installer”.

But on my clover boot screen it says Boot "Mac OS from INSTALLER" (see pic)... NOT “Mac OS  X from El Capitan USB Installer” as the instructions say. I tried to rename the USB to El Capitan USB Installer with no luck.

I "THINK" i might know what I did wrong. I copied the ENTIRE FOLDER "AMD Radeon HD 5450" from the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 to the EFI/EFI/ACPI/Patched not just the File "DSDT.aml".

Gonna try it again!

File%20Nov%2005%202%2007%2006%20PM_zps1d

20151105_140422_zpsaehvhen4.jpg

post-1378468-0-28299400-1446752097_thumb.jpg

post-1378468-0-00220700-1446752114_thumb.jpeg

I "THINK" i might know what I did wrong. I copied the ENTIRE FOLDER "AMD Radeon HD 5450" from the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 to the EFI/EFI/ACPI/Patched not just the File "DSDT.aml".

Gonna try it again!

Correct ! You certainly will not boot doing that :lol:.

• Like 1

I was confused by this at first but you do boot from INSTALLER and I know this because I did and have you copied the the clover folder over to the EFI portion from the clover v3 folder on this thread

OK good to know. Yes I did copy clover over... where I think I screwed up was I copied the entire folder "AMD Radeon HD 5450" instead of the file "DSDT.aml" for the DSDT.

Running the app again as we speak and will try again... gonna make this happen!

Correct ! You certainly will not boot doing that :lol:.

Haha... it makes sense "NOW"... took a little bit to figure it out. Hey, it's how you learn though!!!!  :yes:

Running the app again as we speak and will try again... gonna make this happen!

Actually, you don't need to run the app again and again. Just mount the EFI partition of your USB drive using Clover Configurator or terminal.app and change/move/delete whatever you want directly inside it :).

To mount the EFI using terminal, run this :

diskutil list

So you can see where's your EFI in the correct drive.

For instance, it looks like this on my system (a Dell Laptop here) :

MacBook-Pro:~ Polyzargone$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            129.5 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    125.7 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:           Windows Recovery                         471.9 MB   disk1s1
   2:                        EFI NO NAME                 104.9 MB   disk1s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows 10              156.7 GB   disk1s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Stockage                104.9 GB   disk1s5
   6:                        EFI NO NAME                 200.3 MB   disk1s6
   7:           Linux Filesystem                         30.0 GB    disk1s7
   8:                 Linux Swap                         4.0 GB     disk1s8
   9:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine            157.3 GB   disk1s9
  10:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                45.8 GB    disk1s10
  11:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s11
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X 10.11 Install Disk 7.6 GB     disk2s2

Then :

diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY

Where X is the number of your USB drive and Y is the number of the EFI partition. In my example, the correct EFI partition is disk2s1 of my USB drive named "OS X 10.11 Install Disk" in Disk2.

You should now see the EFI partition mounted on your desktop ;).

• Like 1

The Terminal method is really good to avoid any mistakes when mounting different EFI partitions on the same system. That way, you are absolutely sure you can't screw up your Mac/Hack own partitions (EFI or not :P).

Basically, Clover Configurator does exactly the same thing but it has a GUI which is cool and less scaring.

• Like 2

Actually, you don't need to run the app again and again. Just mount the EFI partition of your USB drive using Clover Configurator or terminal.app and change/move/delete whatever you want directly inside it :).

To mount the EFI using terminal, run this :

diskutil list

So you can see where's your EFI in the correct drive.

For instance, it looks like this on my system (a Dell Laptop here) :

MacBook-Pro:~ Polyzargone$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            129.5 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    125.7 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:           Windows Recovery                         471.9 MB   disk1s1
   2:                        EFI NO NAME                 104.9 MB   disk1s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows 10              156.7 GB   disk1s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Stockage                104.9 GB   disk1s5
   6:                        EFI NO NAME                 200.3 MB   disk1s6
   7:           Linux Filesystem                         30.0 GB    disk1s7
   8:                 Linux Swap                         4.0 GB     disk1s8
   9:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine            157.3 GB   disk1s9
  10:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                45.8 GB    disk1s10
  11:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s11
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X 10.11 Install Disk 7.6 GB     disk2s2

Then :

diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY

Where X is the number of your USB drive and Y is the number of the EFI partition. In my example, the correct EFI partition is disk2s1 of my USB drive named "OS X 10.11 Install Disk" in Disk2.

You should now see the EFI partition mounted on your desktop ;).

Awesome thanks for the EFI mount instructions! I'm sure it will come in handy more than once!  :)

The Terminal method is really good to avoid any mistakes when mounting different EFI partitions on the same system. That way, you are absolutely sure you can't screw up your Mac/Hack own partitions (EFI or not :P).

Basically, Clover Configurator does exactly the same thing but it has a GUI which is cool and less scaring.

OK, sounds like the kind of advice I need on how not to screw things up. I'll definitely check out Colver Configurator, sounds like it's up my alley.

Still waiting for the installer to finish so I can try again LOL

• Like 1

SUCCESS!!!!! Everything worked pretty much out of the box! Only thing I had to do was add the ethernet kext to the EFI. Even wakes from sleep. All USB ports are working.... pretty amazed at all this!!!!!

Thanks a ton for the guide, installer and the individual help!  :D

• Like 2