[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Sorry but the EtreCheck log won't help much… We need your Hardware specs and the exact model of Optiplex you're running, not what OS X tells us ;).

Anyway, a much better way for us to see what OS X thinks it's running onto is to make a full System Information report. You can easily do that by typing this command in a terminal window :

system_profiler -xml > ~/Desktop/report.spx

Post the report.spx available on your desktop here.

You can also post your whole EFI folder so we can check if there's something wrong.

NB : It may also be an hardware issue since I can see in EtreCheck log that you're using different types of RAM modules : two @800 MHz and one @667 MHz

I attached my report.px (without the 667mhz ram module)

You can find my service tag with DELL system configuration here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/67DXH4J/configuration

Only change to that is the Nvidia GTX 550 card and Samsung SSD 850 Evo.

I uploaded my EFI folder here:

I did not use the Clover folder v3 and did not update to 10.11.1. Should i do that?

edit: my pc just froze again, this time the following messages appeared in the console:

25.10.15 16:07:36,119 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)

25.10.15 16:07:36,124 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,129 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,000 kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!
25.10.15 16:07:36,000 kernel[0]: NVDA: Channel Info: [8, 0xb, 0x7, 0x268d]
25.10.15 16:07:36,000 kernel[0]: NVDA: Version Info: [com.apple.GeForce, 10.0.6, 0x7d780b0a, 18894120, 310.42.05f01, 1]
25.10.15 16:07:36,133 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,138 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,143 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,148 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,153 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,158 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,161 DumpGPURestart[986]: Saved gpuRestart report for kernel to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Kernel_2015-10-25-160736_Matthiass-iMac.gpuRestart
25.10.15 16:07:36,163 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,168 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
25.10.15 16:07:36,173 WindowServer[147]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)

many times over and over again

report.spx.zip

Where's the Intel82566MM.kext is installed ? CLOVER/kexts/10.11 ?

If so, try to install it in S/L/E with Kext Wizard instead and dont't forget to remove it from CLOVER/kexts/10.11 also.

Rebuild cache using :

sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel

Then reboot.

I've installed it in S/L/E with Kext Wizard. I didn't rebuild kextcache as I assumed that this is already being done by Kext Wizard (that's why it's taking ages to install a kext file :) ). I'll try it nevertheless and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

I did not use the Clover folder v3 and did not update to 10.11.1. Should i do that?

Yes, could help.

Now, I checked everything and it's OK. Reading your console log makes me think of a problem with the Nvidia GTX 550 Ti. Not sure but you don't seem to use NVIDIA's webdrivers. Even if your GPU shouldn't needs them, you should try to install them anyway.

I found out that Apple's NVIDIA stock kexts are not necessarily the best ones out there and that using webdrivers instead is sometimes better.

Check this thread or use NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater.app 1.2 ;).

I didn't rebuild kextcache as I assumed that this is already being done by Kext Wizard

Well I'm not so sure about that.

First, you have to specifically ask it to do so and second, I'm not certain it does it the right way.

This app is quite old now <_<:whistle:.

• Like 1

@polyzargone,

Do you recommend Web Drivers for all nvidia cards?

I tried them once (in Mavericks i think) and haven't notice any difference... But if you think its better, just say the word! :)

P.S. With my GT220 of course. :rolleyes:

Nope.

Depends largely on what NVIDIA model you have. Cards based on Kepler and below shouldn't need webdrivers at all. They usually works fine and most of them wouldn't have any benefit using webdrivers. You still can install them but as you noticed, they won't bring any significant improvements, especially when they're not designed for which is the case of your GT220 for instance.

I don't know exactly when or why it's becoming interesting to use them but I guess it starts with Cuda support. Since I'm definitely not an expert on that matter, I won't say anything more :D.

Now, on my GTX 650 Ti, installation of webdrivers fixed an issue I had : my Hack had constant KP on each restart or shutdown with Apple's stock kexts. That's why I thought it could fix those strange messages in hias console logs.

• Like 1

I've installed it in S/L/E with Kext Wizard. I didn't rebuild kextcache as I assumed that this is already being done by Kext Wizard (that's why it's taking ages to install a kext file :) ). I'll try it nevertheless and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Major problem

I executed 

sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel

and now I cannot reboot. Right In the beginning I get a kernel panic with the error:

"Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3247.10.11/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1665".

I did notice that kextcache was complaining in its output that many kexts had invalid signature but were loaded because of kext-dev-mode flag.

Please help. Is the situation salvagable or should I reinstall clover along with the EFI partition and perform the necessary patching for HDA audio?

@ernani

Strange… Could be a wrong permissions issue :unsure:. Booting with the USB install disk should solve the problem.

Once on desktop, run this in a terminal instead of sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel :

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Make sure that CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67 or 0x3 in RtVariables of config.plist.

@ernani

Strange… Could be a wrong permissions issue :unsure:. Booting with the USB install disk should solve the problem.

Once on desktop, run this in a terminal instead of sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel :

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Make sure that CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67 or 0x3 in RtVariables of config.plist.

Thanks! You saved my day... or rather my night :) . Let's hope that my network won't give me any issues this time!

Hello,

Thanks for this fantastic guide . U did great job.

Follow the guide  I tried to install El Cpt  on my  DELL 760 as a experiment :-)

I did all the steps in this guide , preparing the USB stick.  And no success  with installing El Capt..

Just in firs step after booting from USB to Clover boot manager  and choosing  "boot Mac OSX from installer ' I've got black screen :

....Panic ( CPU Caller 0x ...) Unable to find driver for this platform \"ACPI\" .....

As I am a newbe on this forum  and this is my second try ( I manage to install Yosemite with Chameleon)  I believe I'm doing something wrong.

Can you help please ?

Zefiryn

post-1610304-0-12421200-1445802680_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Thanks for the answer.

Yes I did .

To be quite sure I deleted Clover from EFI/EFI on pen drive and copied again from zip file.

Still the same result :-(

I tried with another USB pen drive.

Using Chris1111 tool I've got a message:

'This package is incompatible with this version of OSX'  ( I'm preparing USB on iMac with EL Cpt.)

Anyway pendrive was done, but with the same result - 'Unable to find driver for this platform \"ACPI\"

:-(

I'm a little bit upset.

Zefiryn

Hey guys, anyone had this bug?

First, when I mount random USB (Snow Leopard Install in this case) it doesn't show in Finder nor Desktop, but Disk Utility sees it

post-1517990-0-92601000-1445987740_thumb.png

Then i add second USB that is recognized right away (10.11 Installer in  this case)

post-1517990-0-13698300-1445987772_thumb.png

Then i plug USB in the rear port and get this name from finder (GoogleChromeUpdate!!!???)

post-1517990-0-16829200-1445988174_thumb.png

And, lastly, unplug and plug it again (front bus this time) and it shows as it should

post-1517990-0-54503600-1445988224_thumb.png

I had similar problem, USB not shown in Finder but recognized in Disk Utility, on the first day i installed OS X 10.11 but not after that.

That is, until tonight...

Just wanted to report for the future and to see if anyone has idea what its all about. ;)

@owbp

Thanks for reporting.

All I can say is that USB_Injextor.kext is not perfect and it still has strange behaviors sometimes. That was even worst when using Dummys kexts and now, I hoped this was fixed one for all.

I'm still looking for a decent and functional guide on how to really fix USB issues on El Capitan but all I've read so far are focused on modern rigs and hardware. Sadly, nobody seems to care about old systems like ours.

So I guess we'll have to deal with that until someone find a working solution for all Hackintosh…

Ok, I'm using it now. All ports working (keyboard, mouse, AudioInterface, 3 different usb flash storages), before and after sleep, but they worked too with old kext after that glitch.

I'll keep using it and report if anything like that happens EVER again! :ninja:

Edit:

Just one more thing i wanted to ask for a few days, but it always slips away,

Is third line from the bottom of the picture anything to worry about?

It literally pops quarter of the second before the welcome screen (so it was quite tricky to take a picture :D )

post-1517990-0-94617200-1445998655_thumb.jpg

[C-state power management not initialized]

• Like 1

Edit:

Just one more thing i wanted to ask for a few days, but it always slips away,

Is third line from the bottom of the picture anything to worry about?

It literally pops quarter of the second before the welcome screen (so it was quite tricky to take a picture :D )

attachicon.gifIMG_0746.jpg

[C-state power management not initialized]

Nothing to worry about. Seems like it's due to the LPCSensors.kext in FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ that fails to load or something like that :unsure:.

Check that SpeedStep is working using HW Monitor. Frequencies should change like this (screenshot from my Dell D830) :

6e673d05-7d00-4f3b-8c5b-e32dfec83427.jpg

7a4216fa-4811-49d6-aa38-3744516ba309.jpg

Ok thanks, thought so but had to check.  :blush:

Speedstep is working, and early in a verbose mode (not captured on the screenshot) it writes something like:

-P states successfully initialized 

-C states successfully initialized 

post-1517990-0-62355300-1446040529_thumb.pngpost-1517990-0-94146700-1446040538_thumb.png

P.S. 2nd day in diary, still everything ok with new USB_Injector.kext. :yes:

@owbp & all others !

Could you test this new USB_Injector.kext please ?

No need to change anything, just replace the old one (keep a copy in case of :D) with this :

Test and report, especially for mount/lack of power issues, etc.

I have always been told that,"if it isn't broke, don not fix it!" :)

All my USB ports seem just fine with original usb injector kext. 

It does not surprise me that some of the other models and form factors might not get 100% efficiency from the same USB injector kext.

Well actually, it wasn't working fine for some.

Now, I didn't noticed any problems so far on my Optiplex 760 but had some with my Dell D830 laptop which use a very similar USB_Injector.kext (only SMBios and port mapping differs).

For instance, when I plugged-in the Verbatim 8 Gb USB pen I use to install Windows 10, it complained that the port had not sufficient power and asked me to plug it in another port (of course, doing so didn't fixed anything :P). Another one is when I tried to connect my external USB DVD player.

The point is that the old version of USB_Injector.kext missed some information in the info.plist and it seems that's the reason why I had such problems. Adding them solved everything on the D830 so I assume that they'll do the same for the Optiplex.

So yes, it's normal that you don't see any differences since the mapping of the ports hasn't changed at all in the new version but you may find out later that using some USB devices are not really working as they should. That what owbp seems to have discovered and it doesn't surprise me because of the lack of these informations I was talking about above.

Hopefully, this new version will be the ultimate one that works in every possible situation ;).

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble trying to fix my sound on my Dell 755 (See my Signature).  This is my second time installing El Capitan and I still have no sound.  The sound icon at the top is grayed out and can't adjust the volume.  In my settings/Sound...all my sound alert is all grayed out and I won't be able to click them and hear them.  I've followed the guide correctly using the Injection method but no good.  I've tried using the Clover AppleHD method where you copy that two files into the Contents/Resources of the Original AppleHD kext, but that failed when I try to enter the "sudo kexkcached...etc" saying invalid volume...so that's no good.  I've try using the Post Installer and install one of the Realtek 892 audio file...but that's no good also.  So I'm not sure what I did to cause this?  If anyone could point me in the right direction, I appreciate it.  Thanks

theox

Hey so is the new injector in the first post and do I have to do anything special to install the new one if I have the old one installed

Replace old USB_Injector.kext by the one from post #317 and you're done ;).

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble trying to fix my sound on my Dell 755 (See my Signature).  This is my second time installing El Capitan and I still have no sound.  The sound icon at the top is grayed out and can't adjust the volume.  In my settings/Sound...all my sound alert is all grayed out and I won't be able to click them and hear them.  I've followed the guide correctly using the Injection method but no good.  I've tried using the Clover AppleHD method where you copy that two files into the Contents/Resources of the Original AppleHD kext, but that failed when I try to enter the "sudo kexkcached...etc" saying invalid volume...so that's no good.  I've try using the Post Installer and install one of the Realtek 892 audio file...but that's no good also.  So I'm not sure what I did to cause this?  If anyone could point me in the right direction, I appreciate it.  Thanks

theox

Stick with VoodooHDA-2.8.8.pkg until a patched AppleHDA is ready for Optiplex 755 models. Installing all AppleHDA's available out there won't fix your problem. You have to use one that's specifically designed for your hardware…

Meanwhile, you can still try the ones proposed by MacPeet for 755 series to help him in his test ;).

PS : you shouldn't have problem rebuilding kernel cache using sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel but you can try alternative way in post #307

• Like 1