[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Please boot in verbose mode (press space bar at the Clover boot menu and select Boot Mac OS X in verbose mode) so we can know where it hangs and hopefully why !

@Blaggah

Do you have any third party hardware such as USB PCI extension card or whatever ?

Also, could you run this in a terminal window :

pmset -g assertions
syslog | grep "wake reason"

And post result here.

[EDIT] @owbp You did it again… :hysterical:

no, the only usb adapter I'm using is my wifi dongle. My room is all the way in the attic of the house so thats the only way i have internet which is through wifi. 

Last login: Fri Feb  5 18:55:48 on console

Users-iMac:~ Optiplex780$ pmset -g assertions

2016-02-05 19:59:25 -0500 

Assertion status system-wide:

BackgroundTask                 0

ApplePushServiceTask           0

UserIsActive                   0

PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0

PreventSystemSleep             0

ExternalMedia                  0

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0

NetworkClientActive            0

Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB

id=500  level=255 0x4=USB mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.fa200000 owner=Wireless N USB Adapter

Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

Users-iMac:~ Optiplex780$ 

I'm using the exact same card.  If you're using the same card, make sure that ATI is checked under Graphics Injection clover options.

Ok, I noticed that my BIOS is at A09. That looks to be well out of date. I am going to update it and try one more time. If it bombs I will post the verbose info.

Thanks a million for helping me...

I honestly don't think updating the bios to the latest will change anything honestly because I just updated mine to A15 yesterday and before that all seemed to work aside from my sleep/wake problem and random reboots as stated above.  But if you're feeling up to it, go ahead and update it.  Here's one more suggestion, take the config.plist from the clover/EFI folder under the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 from the initial post and replace it with the one that's in the usb installer.

Ok, I noticed that my BIOS is at A09. That looks to be well out of date. I am going to update it and try one more time. If it bombs I will post the verbose info.

This could help since the DSDT is extracted right from the Bios. I don't know from what exact model and what exact version the current one has been dumped from but you should update to the latest anyway.

Here's one more suggestion, take the config.plist from the clover/EFI folder under the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 from the initial post and replace it with the one that's in the usb installer.

Well, this should be the same config.plist if the guide has been followed to the letter :whistle:

@bclinton

Once again, please boot in verbose mode !!! We can't help you otherwise.

@Blaggah

What about this ?

pmset -g
  • Like 1

This could help since the DSDT is extracted right from the Bios. I don't know from what exact model and what exact version the current one has been dumped from but you should update to the latest anyway.

Well, this should be the same config.plist if the guide has been followed to the letter :whistle:

@bclinton

@Blaggah

What about this ?

pmset -g

Thanks. I am now installing Windows 10 on another drive so I can flash the BIOS. Will try another install tonight in verbose mode. 

@bclinton

@Blaggah

What about this ?

pmset -g

Here is a shot of the verbose install. It stuck at this point. Bios is updated. Would it be worth trying to reinstall from scratch after the update or would it not make a difference?

post-1662939-0-51064200-1454789655_thumb.jpg

At least you reached that screen :D !

Well, seems like it's the Recovery HD partition. Obviously, you've chosen the wrong partition to boot or you messed up at some point. Be sure to boot the correct OS X partition or re-partitioned the whole target disk and try again.

Why the hell would you want to do that ???

There's everything you need in post #1 to enable native AppleHDA. Not to mention that it's update-proof, has better sound quality and fully suports HDMI audio !

VoodooHDA should only be used when there's no other options :whistle:.

@polyzargone.  I was trying voodoohda as I continue to experience random reboots on my dell 760 and I am hoping by process of elimination to find the cause. I have tried the voodoohda now and still experiencing the reboot issue.  I have built a 755 using the same process and don't have this issue so trying to find differences! Any advise would be appreciated.

This could help since the DSDT is extracted right from the Bios. I don't know from what exact model and what exact version the current one has been dumped from but you should update to the latest anyway. Well, this should be the same config.plist if the guide has been followed to the letter :whistle:…@bclintonOnce again, please boot in verbose mode !!! We can't help you otherwise.@BlaggahWhat about this ?

pmset -g

I will do the pmset -g when I get home later on tonight.

I will do the pmset -g when I get home later on tonight.

Last login: Sun Feb  7 00:21:29 on console

Users-iMac:~ Optiplex780$ pmset -g

Active Profiles:

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

hibernatemode        0

sleep                0 (sleep prevented by AddressBookSourceSync, apsd, apsd, UserEventAgent)

Sleep On Power Button 1

ttyskeepawake        1

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

autorestart          0

disksleep            10

displaysleep         0

Users-iMac:~ Optiplex780$ 

That's the end result of the terminal input of pmset -g .. What exactly am i looking for?  It's saying sleep is prevented by AddressBookSourceSync, apsd, apsd, UserEvenAgent.   What does that mean?

At least you reached that screen :D !

Well, seems like it's the Recovery HD partition. Obviously, you've chosen the wrong partition to boot or you messed up at some point. Be sure to boot the correct OS X partition or re-partitioned the whole target disk and try again.

I went ahead and wiped everything and started over. It continues to hang. This is with the ATI injector disabled...sorry for all the trouble. Looks like I am destined to not have a hackintosh :)

post-1662939-0-47862700-1454856313_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of something…

Since you've both updated the Bios, there's a chance that you're currently using default settings :unsure:.

FYI, mine is set like this (for the most important ones) :

- SATA Operation = AHCI

- USB Controllers = Enabled

- Miscellaneous Devices = All checked

- Primary Video = Auto

- Multi Core Support = Enabled

- Intel SpeedStep = Enabled

- Limit CPUID Value = Disabled

- Virtualization = Enabled

- Power Management = S3

- Fan Control Overide = Disabled

- Fast Boot = Enabled

Try the attached config.plist and make sure you have DSDT.aml from AMD Radeon HD 5450 folder inside EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

Here is the screen shot of where it stopped. I replaced the config.plist file and confirmed that my setup settings matched. 

post-1662939-0-59922600-1455072620_thumb.jpg

Do you have a Windows install or a Linux LiveCD/USB to check you Radeon HD 5450 vendor/device ID ?

Meanwhile, you may try the Generic DSDT which doesn't have any injection for this model.

There's one or two example here with people having a HD 5450 where the vendor/device ID doesn't match the expected ones and are actually those from another serie that works OOB.

Do you have a Windows install or a Linux LiveCD/USB to check you Radeon HD 5450 vendor/device ID ?

Meanwhile, you may try the Generic DSDT which doesn't have any injection for this model.

There's one or two example here with people having a HD 5450 where the vendor/device ID doesn't match the expected ones and are actually those from another serie that works OOB.

Sorry to have to ask but how do I use the generic dsdt? I will also boot to windows to check the device ID. Thanks!

Try the attached config.plist and make sure you have DSDT.aml from AMD Radeon HD 5450 folder inside EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

Still no luck with my sleep issue Polyzargone.  I'm clueless with this because I don't understand why it won't work.