[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Hey guys, after trying for weeks to save my beloved Dell, I have to try on another computer because I need my data...

My question: I need a driver for the ATI 5450 video card. What do I have to modify in the DSDT.aml from this (or the 10.10 version) thread to use it on another PC? I'm confused! :/

Not sure what you mean ? Is the other PC an Optiplex or not ? If yes, just reuse the DSDT.aml for AMD Radeon HD 5450 in the zip and you're done.

• Like 2

that's for DSDT in another computer

PEG0 or PEGP, test for your computer
and Clover framebuffer "Shrike" or "Eulemur"
Device (PEG0)            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x10)
                            {
                                "device-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "ATY,DeviceID", 
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68
                                }, 
                                "vendor-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "ATY,VendorID", 
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10
                                }, 
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                Buffer (0x07)
                                {
                                    "Slot-1"
                                }, 
                                "model", 
                                Buffer (0x1C)
                                {
                                    "XFX one HD5450 HDMI/DVI/VGA"
                                }, 
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }, 
                                "@0,AAPL,boot-display", 
                                Buffer (Zero) {}
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
                Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
  • Like 2

Thanks for everyone who given their precious time and effort. I have successfully Install system with the help of instruction on post #1. on my old

OPTIPLEX 780 DT PC with the following conf:

CPU q6600 core2quard

8 GB (2 x 4) RAM

Nvidia GT640 Graphic card.

At first I had problem with the graphic card putting monitor to sleep (black screen) before reaching to DESKTOP but fixed temp booting to desktop with generic parameter in clover boot option. Until fixed installing Nvidia latest WebDriver-346.03.15f02. Now its perfectly fine even show memory status in System info. Everything else seems to working fine i.e internal SOUND, all USBs, LAN, CDROM, wireless Mouse and Keyboard, Wireless Headphone and reboot, sleep/awake. The only thing which bother me is 

:dev: SHUTDOWN :fiery:  (OS shutdown or sleep no idea but system still on with power and lan led) Which I'm trying to fix em for hours. The only time it shutdown only ones when i removed the wireless usb and mouse & keyboard and put in the wired mouse and this it after power on the system same problem with wired mouse too. Anyone experiencing the same thing? 

Things I have tried Booting through the Install usb, tried fix shutdown , fix usb , etc etc but no luck even check without the dsdt and reinstall clover injection stuff you name it i tried it.

So what you guys think seem to be the problem and oh yes I also tried disabling Network from bios wake on lan i also turned off. This problem was also happening before installing webdriver.

Thank & regards

Dell HW are a good start to make Hackintosh.

I have had an Optiplex 755 in the past and i got a lot of fun to install Osx.

Sometimes we find the right fix , sometimes not

Don't give up, try everything ...

and a the last ... something good come out

I agree. I jumped in the water after googling hackintosh and landing here.....out of all the prebuilt articles I found I was glad I tried this one. Picked up a Optiplex 780 off of Ebay for $60. After about 2 weeks of trying things it has worked flawlessly for months - even after 2 El Capitan updates. This forum gets credit. Most of my issue was simply not getting it or not carefully following the instructions. I had so much fun I got a second one off of Ebay and did it again. My Dell 780 will run until I have a power outage. With an SSD it is very responsive. You can pick up the 780's off of craiglist or Ebay for well under $100. 

Just got a 780 and turned it into a hackintosh.  I put in a HD 6570 and it works fine (I think).   I am having one issue which is the sleep.  If I put my computer to sleep, it will not fully go to sleep (the green light on power is still fully glowing and not blinking) and after a few minutes the computer will restart.  So sleep is currently the only thing that I know doesn't work.  Is the DSDT in the original post the newest one?  I saw some posts about the sleep issue but am unsure if it's the newest.

The HD6570 works OOB, but for Sleep try to Clover FB name "Pithecia" or others FB name for the HD6570.

Alright so that didn't work. and it made it so my screen won't even show when OSX is booted up.  I'm not entirely sure how to change it back to Strike.  I've tried going into clover when it's booting up to change the settings but that freezes my PC

Well I used my 'Clover' EL Capitan USB I used to install OSX, booted into OSX and reverted back to 'Strike'.

So I guess that didn't work.  Also when my 'display' is waking up from display sleep I get 'snow' (the static like in the olden days).  I have to replug in my monitor for it to show the desktop... 

my HD6570 in Esprimo works with "Pithecia" to DVI. On HDMI perhaps one other FB name.

with the HD5450, it is also so
Example:
FB name "Eulemur" -> No Sleep
FB name "Shrike" -> Sleep works

I think with the HD6570 you have to find the right FB name.
The DSDT should also be perfect.
  • Like 1

I'm using DVI =/  Where do I look for FB names?

Edit:

Found them

{"Pithecia", 3},
{"Bulrushes", 6},
{"Cattail", 4},
{"Hydrilla", 5},
{"Duckweed", 4},
{"Fanwort", 4},
{"Elodea", 5},
{"Kudzu", 2},
{"Gibba", 5},
{"Lotus", 3},
{"Ipomoea", 3},
{"Muskgrass", 4},
{"Juncus", 4},
{"Osmunda",     4},
{"Pondweed", 3},
{"Spikerush",   4},
{"Typha",       5},

So I assume I can only use the ones with '3' as I have DVI HDMI and 'VGA'?

Tested Pithecia, Lotus and Ipomoea... None fixed it.

So my card only has 3 ports so I guess I'm outta luck?

Lotus did something weird.   When I went to sleep and waited like 5-15 mins.  My peripherals lost power and there was no way to wake it back up... clicked power and replugged in mouse and keyboard, nothing worked.  Had to hard power off. 

Pithecia and Ipomoea just didn't boot properly (the same blank screen)

Should I try other ones? as my card only has 3 ports (DVI, HDMI, and VGA).  I'm using DVI right now

Tested Pithecia, Lotus and Ipomoea... None fixed it.

So my card only has 3 ports so I guess I'm outta luck?

Lotus did something weird.   When I went to sleep and waited like 5-15 mins.  My peripherals lost power and there was no way to wake it back up... clicked power and replugged in mouse and keyboard, nothing worked.  Had to hard power off. 

Pithecia and Ipomoea just didn't boot properly (the same blank screen)

Should I try other ones? as my card only has 3 ports (DVI, HDMI, and VGA).  I'm using DVI right now

Youcan try to patch the framebuffers Pithecia and Ipomoea. See here.

Good luck ;).

But be aware that most AMD cards have issues with sleep in El Capitan ;).

• Like 3

Hi all,

Many thanks for this wonderful guide! I managed to set my friends Dell Optiplex 760 SFF with El Capitan using this guide and the generic DSDT (NVIDIA 8400gs). No problems. I'm not new to hackintoshing but quite a noob when it comes to clover - quite a steep learning curve and lots of trial and error to get things working - reminds me of the 'Snow Leopard' days on the old Dell Optiplex 745! This guide for this hardware makes it very straight forward!

Reading through all the posts, I saw someone had the dell 790 up and running and posted his DSDT. I have the dell optiplex 990 (very similar to the 790) so decided to give it a go.

I'm typing this from my Dell Optiplex 990 - everything works, sound, graphics (Nvidia), iMessage etc. Fantastic!

There is one thing that is bugging me though, I have a number of USB hard drives plugged in for various media and back ups and most are shown as internal drives and therefore no 'eject' animation in the sidebar of a finder window. Not so much of an operational issue but more of a cosmetic one. Would any one know of any fix / work around for this?

Thanks again

Dan

Hi morpheousman!

I ran into some problems with my 990 - I messed up my config.plist without having a working back up (wasn't thinking!!)

Now I am unable to load machine :(

By using the 790_CLOVER file in post #1 and above DSDT, I will create a Clover USB to see if I can load up the machine to to make the edits in the config.plist

Wish me luck!

Thanks man, I'm finally booting up with your clover files. However, upon installing I get this message a couple of seconds from the count down. This is my second usb installer.

I got the culprit, it happened to be my thumb drive. I swapped to another one and everything ok.  

Are there any edits needed to be done in order to get sound to work?  I'm not using ATI hd5450, but an Nvidia 630 gt card.  After post installation, i ran update to 10.11.6 straight. Haven't been able to get sound to work at all even after a lot of kext repair permissions.

post-1199206-0-37741900-1471760794_thumb.jpeg

Thanks man, I'm finally booting up with your clover files. However, upon installing I get this message a couple of seconds from the count down. This is my second usb installer.

I got the culprit, it happened to be my thumb drive. I swapped to another one and everything ok.  

Are there any edits needed to be done in order to get sound to work?  I'm not using ATI hd5450, but an Nvidia 630 gt card.  After post installation, i ran update to 10.11.6 straight. Haven't been able to get sound to work at all even after a lot of kext repair permissions.

For Sound other than AppleHDA with HD5450,  try the Voodoo.HDA kexts. They are in Clover/Kexts/10.11/Voodoo.HDA.

Delete Apple.HdA edits from Clover.config > Kernel and Kext Patches.

• Like 1