[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Hi all, I found this thread when I was researching how on to use my spare i3-2100 I had laying around.  Those 1155 boards are expensive but I came across the dell optiplex 790 (HY9JP) for only $20 on eBay.  Received it yesterday and loaded up El Capitan because I only have a spare Nvidia GT 620.

Anyways, everything is working great so far except that whenever I shutdown the computer, it automatically restarts itself.  

Wondering if someone can take a look and let me know what my issue is. 

BTW...the board is running bios version A.06, not sure if I need to upgrade to a specific version for the 790.

Thanks!

debug_6442.zip

31 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

Post your CLOVER folder please.

Oops, not sure why it didn't get included in the debug.zip.

I'm trying to upload the zip file but it the site keeps giving me this error message:

"There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

I'll keep trying.  Thanks.

Well, I made some edits in the DSDT but for the most part, I simply re-used some files that are available in another thread : https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312656-guide-macos-sierra-1012-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790-990/

But TBH, the whole Optilex Guide series is quite a mess so I personally use my own set of files that works perfect since Yosemite 10.10 with some minor adjustments. So what I did is basically adapt them to your rig and as expected, it worked.

That said, I suspect that you didn't use the Working Optiplex 790 (990): 790_Clover.zip provided in the OP in the first place. I think you should have started from this point ;).

Anyway, glad it worked for you :D!

2 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

Well, I made some edits in the DSDT but for the most part, I simply re-used some files that are available in another thread : https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312656-guide-macos-sierra-1012-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790-990/

But TBH, the whole Optilex Guide series is quite a mess so I personally use my own set of files that works perfect since Yosemite 10.10 with some minor adjustments. So what I did is basically adapt them to your rig and as expected, it worked.

That said, I suspect that you didn't use the Working Optiplex 790 (990): 790_Clover.zip provided in the OP in the first place. I think you should have started from this point ;).

Anyway, glad it worked for you :D!

I download the entire v4 zip folder and could've sworn I used the 790_clover folder.

Now I have a new issue.  I no longer have sound :(
I used the patched AppleHDA earlier and it was working but now System Preferences>Sound>Output is empty. 

Yeah, that's normal. You need to reinstall an original AppleHDA.kext since AppleALC.kext is now the preferred solution. It's native and overall quality is better than VoodooHDA.kext. It should also brings HDMI audio support for your NVIDIA card.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

Yeah, that's normal. You need to reinstall an original AppleHDA.kext since AppleALC.kext is now the preferred solution. It's native and overall quality is better than VoodooHDA.kext. It should also brings HDMI audio support for your NVIDIA card.

Oh okay.  Thank you. I will go search for the original applehda.kext.  thanks again!

55 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

So, I downloaded the 10.11.6 update.  Used pacifist to extract the original AppleHDA.kext.  Used Kext Utility to install AppleHDA.kext

Rebooted.  The Output is still empty.  I noticed that the clover folder you gave me already had Lilu and AppleALC in there so I didn't install them in my S/L/E

When it didn't work, I used Kext Utility to install Lilu and AppleALC in my S/L/E, but it is still empty.  Am I missing something?  The AppleALC install guide said no ID was required.

Thanks again.

13 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

Try this new DSDT.aml and set 15 in config.plist > Devices > Audio > Inject :

DSDT.aml.zip

Thanks.

Copied the DSDT into patched folder.  Set audio to 15.  Did not work.

Also tried 16, it also didn't work.

I'll come back tomorrow.  Getting late here.  Appreciate all the help so far!

On 3/21/2018 at 1:49 AM, 9000RPM said:

Hi all, I found this thread when I was researching how on to use my spare i3-2100 I had laying around.  Those 1155 boards are expensive but I came across the dell optiplex 790 (HY9JP) for only $20 on eBay.  Received it yesterday and loaded up El Capitan because I only have a spare Nvidia GT 620.

Anyways, everything is working great so far except that whenever I shutdown the computer, it automatically restarts itself.  

BTW...the board is running bios version A.06, not sure if I need to upgrade to a specific version for the 790.

Thanks!

debug_6442.zip

HI

You could try at prompt level "shutdown -h now" . As you know there are other command in shutdown you could try.

I have a DELL OPTIPLEX 960 running windows 10. When I shut it down  sometime it restarts and make a whirling sound and power light flashes on on off.

I ran this as a hack-mac for a while and had to turn off "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver seemed to be the source of system hangs.

Hope this my help Thomas

On 3/20/2018 at 9:49 PM, 9000RPM said:

Thanks!

debug_6442.zip

My 790 was doing the same when I first got it. 

Solution was in the bios settings. I cannot remember which one it was at this moment, but I found it with a google search. It was doing the restart with Windows and Mac OSX.

Also, make sure your bios is up to date.

DSDT.aml.zip

Edited by morpheousman

On 3/24/2018 at 7:32 AM, IMAGEIMAGENX said:

HI

You could try at prompt level "shutdown -h now" . As you know there are other command in shutdown you could try.

I have a DELL OPTIPLEX 960 running windows 10. When I shut it down  sometime it restarts and make a whirling sound and power light flashes on on off.

I ran this as a hack-mac for a while and had to turn off "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver seemed to be the source of system hangs.

Hope this my help Thomas

The DSDT provided by polyzargone  fixed the issue.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:04 PM, morpheousman said:

My 790 was doing the same when I first got it. 

Solution was in the bios settings. I cannot remember which one it was at this moment, but I found it with a google search. It was doing the restart with Windows and Mac OSX.

Also, make sure your bios is up to date.

The DSDT provided by polyzargone  fixed the issue.  When the board arrived I didn't even bother to install Windows in order to update the BIOS.  It's still on A06.  I'm searching for a modded BIOS that will skip the press F1 to continue because I don't have the air temp sensor or the front I/O panel hooked up.  The front I/O panel is just too expensive on eBay, costs twice as much as the board.

After the fix, I was having a problem where AppleALC wasn't working.  Only VoodooHDA worked but Sunflowerbed kept two duplicate HDMI sources and every time I started, Soundflowerbed would default to the first HDMI source, which doesn't work so I have to manually click to the HDMI right below that one.  It was annoying.

I've since replaced the graphics card with a HD5770 and I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 now.  Everything works perfectly.  I'm holding off High Sierra for now.

Thanks for the original el capitan guide. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 10:45 AM, 9000RPM said:

The DSDT provided by polyzargone  fixed the issue.

It's still on A06.  I'm searching for a modded BIOS that will skip the press F1 to continue because I don't have the air temp sensor or the front I/O panel hooked up.  The front I/O panel is just too expensive on eBay, costs twice as much as the board.

Well, glad all is well. Just wanted to mention that I have flashed bios on these many times without windows installed. I use Hiren's boot CD, load Mini-XP, C&P bios file from usb drive to desktop, then flash bios.

5 minutes or less, start to finish.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone ;)

At the beginning I would like to thank the author of this guide.

I have small problem. When I put my Dell into sleep mode, it won't wake up. PC starting, but screen remains off. I think system is freezing, because it does not respond to the attempts to go sleep again.

I used Generic DSDT For Non-HD5450 Video

I also tried with Darkwake option in Clover Configuration, but without results.

My spec:

Dell 755 SFF

C2D e7500

4 GB Ram

Radeon HD6670

Anybody can help me?

• 4 months later...

Hello guys, first of all I wanted to say thanks for this amazing guide. I've managed to install El Capitan on my Optiplex 780 successfully.

However...

I have an issue with my display monitor. It keeps flickering since the first time I booted into OS X Installer. Here's the video of my screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0NZoQ2NAV0

Everything else worked fine, including wake from sleep. Well, the internal sound isn't working, but that's okay because I'm using external speaker, which is working perfectly.

I followed the guide on the first post, and use the same dsdt posted by OP on the first post since I'm also using ATI HD 5450.

My spec:

- Dell Optiplex 780 SSF

- Intel Core 2 Duo e7500

- 4 GB RAM

- ATI HD 5450 1 GB

Oh by the way, I'm using a VGA monitor with active DVI-D to VGA adapter. This is the only monitor I have right now. I wonder if the issue is happened because of the monitor and/or the VGA adapter I'm using right now.

Below I attached my config.plist and my dsdt file.

Thanks!

DSDT.aml

config.plist

1 hour ago, polyzargone said:

Try the attached files and report please.

Archive.zip

Man, I can't thank you enough for your help. It works perfectly although the sound isn't working now, but I think I only need to inject the kext as mentioned on the first post, correct?

Thanks again, for your help. You saved my day!

UPDATE:

Sorry to say this but I think I need your help again @polyzargone

So the sound isn't working even after I injected the audio kext. (I use the first method on the first post, anyway) Unlike before where I could choose the sound output, this time it doesn't show any sound devices.

And I couldn't login to AppStore at all. It keep saying that my device could't be verified. iCloud and other services work just fine.

Thanks!

Edited by rxzx33

1 hour ago, rxzx33 said:

So the sound isn't working even after I injected the audio kext. (I use the first method on the first post, anyway) Unlike before where I could choose the sound output, this time it doesn't show any sound devices.

And I couldn't login to AppStore at all. It keep saying that my device could't be verified. iCloud and other services work just fine.

Thanks!

Make sure you installed both AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext and delete any realtekALC.kext and/or VoodooHDA.kext you may have installed in your system. Rebuild kernel cache using Kext Wizard or any kext management tool then reboot.

As for the Mac App Store, check that your Ethernet connection is set as en0 (you can see this in System Profiler) :

image.thumb.png.fd8db2e166d89bb8d0db1b9fb978a52f.png

If not, delete all network interface in System Preferences > Network and also, delete this file : Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Again, reboot then add your Eternet interface first.

Edited by polyzargone
  • Like 1