[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,157 posts in this topic

Through my own experience and experiment, I discovered that sleep/wake won't work properly if using a USB wifi dongle. As soon as I remove the USB wifi dongle, sleep and wake works as it should on my 780. It took me a very long time to figure that out and USB wifi dongle is my first choice to go with since my room is on the second floor of the house. For as long as I've experienced with it since discovering that, sleep was never an issue for me. But take this with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

Through my own experience and experiment, I discovered that sleep/wake won't work properly if using a USB wifi dongle. As soon as I remove the USB wifi dongle, sleep and wake works as it should on my 780. It took me a very long time to figure that out and USB wifi dongle is my first choice to go with since my room is on the second floor of the house. For as long as I've experienced with it since discovering that, sleep was never an issue for me. But take this with a grain of salt.

Well, that could be a problem with the USB_Injector.kext though I'm not sure it could mess up with sleep. Could you plug your WIFI dongle in any of your USB port then make an IOReg (with IORegistry Explorer > File > Save as…), check that the Optiplex won't wake and post it in .zip here ?

But I think of a problem in the DSDT that may need a patch to fix that issue.

Also, after wake up failed run this in a terminal :

pmset -g assertions
syslog |grep -i wake
syslog |grep -i "Wake reason"

Meanwhile, try these new DSDTs :

DSDTs.zip

• Like 1

Ok, i could do what you suggested but i have to type each of those commands one after another after pressing enter after each one?  Also, i have to hard power off the machine because it won't wake up.  I'm using the ATI 5450 1GB ram version also. 

Ok, i could do what you suggested but i have to type each of those commands one after another after pressing enter after each one?  Also, i have to hard power off the machine because it won't wake up.  I'm using the ATI 5450 1GB ram version also. 

Yes. One after another and yes, you'll have to hard power off the computer. You'll need to do it once so don't worry, it should still boot after that :unsure::hysterical:.

I've attached both version of new DSDTs so just pick up the right one : in your case, will be AMD Radeon HD 5450 > DSDT.aml

1. Credits/Sources

Everything OSx86-related is a collaborative effort amongst people who enjoy doing these things, as well as those of us who enjoy tweaking and experimenting with things. Below are a list of sources used to compile this guide:

1. OSX86 Wiki
  2. InsanelyMac
  3. Slice, and all testers who help with development of the Clver Bootloader
  4. polyzargone, MacPeet, Chris1111 and all other forum members who have posted in this topic and helping out the community.
  5. All of pepto's Previous Optiplex 780 (760) Guides! Mountain Lion 10.8.XMavericks 10.9.XYosemite 10.10.X. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped put this together!!  I got my Optiplex 780 up and running perfectly with OS X within a few hours.

• Like 2

I got El Capitan installed and running on my Optiplex 780 a few days ago and upgraded to 10.11.5 without issues.  

However, I just noticed that I can not write anything to my NAS.  I am currently using Intel82566MM.kext because AppleIntelE1000.kext did not wake from sleep properly for me.  Everything works fine surfing the internet, downloading files, etc.  But once I try to write something to my NAS, it will freeze after about 40-50MB, then the NAS disconnects and the ethernet connection ceases to function.  No more surfing or downloading.  If I put the system to sleep, surfing will work again.

Have you tried other kexts? I had trouble with IntelE100e from the guide so I'm using 82566MM for the first time with El Cap. But I'm not using NAS.

Try this one (attached) from here and look into this topic for any clue. Hope it helps.

AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip

P.S. I just tried attached kext and everything works (sleep, good download speed) but, as i said, don't have NAS to test it. Just hope it's not incompatibility with your router and Optiplex. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the links.  I read the last few pages and it seems that for usage with a NAS, a USB to ethernet solution seems most reliable.  Fortunately, I have an old Apple one.  It only runs at 100Base-T, but at least the files actually get transferred.  I will see if I can find one that runs at gigabit speed for cheap.  

I've yet to touch my 755 optiplex(es) in a long time. I'm sure all will work fine. I plan to attack one of them this weekend if time permits me as I have other projects to finish. One of them will be trying to figure out the whole sleep/wake issue with my 780 using usb wireless dongle for Internet.

Hi! I have an Optiplex 780 DT with Windows 10 on it and I want to dualboot OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 on the same HDD (160GB till I buy an 240GB SSD).

I tried with TransMac (After booting to BIOS it said that cannot boot from USB),tried BootDiskUtility but again couldn't boot,just got stuck in the selection page.

I installed VMWare WorkStation 12 and couldn't get El Capitan on the OS list,installed VirtualBox and strangely the OS X was missing from the OS list.

And BTW I don't have any MacBook,iMac or Hackintosh lying around to prepare the USB,searched a lot on Google on how to do this from a Windows PC but I didn't find anything to helful.

Please,can anyone show me a way on how to do prepare the USB from a Windows 10 Based PC that does really work? (After all of this 6 hrs of trying to do this from Windows,I maybe try and borrow someone's MacBook Pro for this procedure)  :P

Here we go again :thumbsup_anim: !

hHuZ0Jp.png

I installed VMWare WorkStation 12 and couldn't get El Capitan on the OS list,installed VirtualBox and strangely the OS X was missing from the OS list.

Not sure what you mean by "couldn't get El Capitan on the OS list" :unsure:

Assuming you've successfully installed any OS X version (OS X 10.6.8 minimum) in VMWare WorkStation, all you have to do is open the Mac App Store and download El Capitan for free.

Once done, follow thoroughly the step-by-setp guide in post #1.

• Like 1

After trying several different kexts for the ethernet, I was still unable to find one that worked well.  Either I would lose my connection after sleep or my connection would drop when trying to write to my NAS.  I ended up going back to the Intel82566MM.kext which did not drop my connection after sleep.  However, I noticed that I was able to write to my MacBook which is connected over wifi.  This led me to believe that my connection would not drop if I didn't max out the gigabit speed...

So, I downloaded Xcode and the Hardware IO Tools for Xcode and installed the Network Link Conditioner preference pane.  From the pane, I created a custom profile that limited my upstream to 780 Mbps.  Now, I can write to my NAS without my connection dropping albeit at slower speeds.  On average, I'm seeing just under 40MB/s.  It's much better than using my USB 2 to ethernet adapter but much slower than the 110MB/s I get from my other computers.  Interestingly, increasing the upstream limit in the Network Link Conditioner preference pane doesn't increase speeds. 

For now, this is the best work around I have come up with.  Hopefully, this info will be able to help others too.

• Like 1

Here we go again :thumbsup_anim: !

hHuZ0Jp.png

Not sure what you mean by "couldn't get El Capitan on the OS list" :unsure:

Assuming you've successfully installed any OS X version (OS X 10.6.8 minimum) in VMWare WorkStation, all you have to do is open the Mac App Store and download El Capitan for free.

Once done, follow thoroughly the step-by-setp guide in post #1.

While I ran VMWare Workstation for the first time,I couldnt get OS X El Capitan as a choice to the list of OS X versions. :( It only showed 10.6.8 but I dont want to download 10.6.8 to do all what the first post says. All I wanted is to install the already downloaded OS X El Capitan on VMWare so I could do what the first post says. :yes:

Guys i need some help. Recently i bought another optiplex. I tried install el capitan but i have no success until know. The problem is The nvidia gt 720. Since now i have already manage to install el capitan on a optiplex 760 with gt 210 and an optiplex 780 with nvidia gt8400. 

The nvidia 720 is kepler as you know and at verbose mode during installation writes smt about problem with the kepler. When it is time to end the verbose mode and to see the screen with installation (you know, i mean the screen with disk utilities, terminal etc) then the optiplex reboots. 

I have already put the generic dsdt to the patched dsdt folder and i have tried to inject and not inject nvidia. 

Now i will try to install with the onboard card , to install nvidia web driver then to put the card on mobo and after to reboot. 

But can someone send my a config.plst that thinks will work?

I suspect that your GT 720 actually needs NVIDIA's webdrivers. Seems odd since these cards are referenced as Kepler but I own a GT 730 from Gainward (Kepler too) that has the same exact problem.

It won't work at all unless I boot with nv_disable=1, install OS X then boot the partition and install webdrivers on it. Do NOT try to inject NVIDIA in config.plist. It won't work either.

So you're on the right path when you think of installing the webdrivers. You just need to boot nv_disable=1 every time you want to install and every time an OS X update is out. I suggest you keep an eye on this topic ;).

Needless to say that you should use the Generic DSDT.aml for plain support of your GT 720. The 5450 one is definitely not appropriated.

It won't work at all unless I boot with nv_disable=1, install OS X then boot the partition and install webdrivers on it. Do NOT try to inject NVIDIA in config.plist. It won't work either.

Thanks for the quick reply once more polyzargone. Problem is that i had already tried to install with nv_disable=1 and when the verbose mode ends and is bout to see the gui then reboots. That's why i think of install without the card and after installation ends reboot install the web drivers and then to put back the card .

Do you agree?

New appendix for guide of installation of optiplex 780 El Capitan:

After 12 hours of every possible combination every possible experiment on bios and on clover ver.3543 i made my optiplex 780 run el capitan with Nvidia GT 720.

I am not a noobie (at last i think so) i already own 4 hackintoshes (an optiplex 760, an optiplex 780, a dell precision 490, a HP laptop  HP62 b82ev, and i also have made an optiplex 780 for my father in law) and 3 original mac (see my signature).

It was really very very frustrating to make this optiplex with the God damn nvidia 720 to work... REALLY  :(

So i propose to the admins of this thread if they want to put an asterisk in the guide and made an appendix for an optiplex 780 and Nvidia gt 720.

My configuration is:

CPU core 2 duo @2,93

Memory 2 dimms of 2 GB RAM ddr3 1333 = 4gB

Sound card on board ADI1984A

Ethernet on board 

HDD rotational type WDC WD2500AAJS-75M0A0       = 250 GB

In other words is a classic OOB configuration and the only thing i have add is the Nvidia gt 720.

HOW I MANAGE TO MAKE IT WORK:

1) I installed el capitan with the onboard graphics card intel 4500. (NO WAY TO INSTALL EL CAPITAN WITH GT 720. Neither with nv_disable=1)

2)I made a usb installer with the last clover ver. 3453 boot loader. I copied the usb_injection.kext & the Intel kext for ethernet & the fakesmc.kext inside the EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/10.11

3)I DID NOT COPY THE GENERIC DSDT FROM THE FOLDER OF THE GUIDE TO EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched THIS IS VERY CRUCIAL VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!

4)I HAD TO CHANGE THE SMBIOS TO MACPRO 3.1 THIS IS VERY CRUCIAL VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!

5)When the installation ended and the hackintosh booted for the very first time i downloaded nvidia web driver from here:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia®-webdriver-updaterapp/

6)I install nvidia web drivers and i downloaded the latest drivers . I did not patched the NVDAStartupWeb.kext for obvious reasons

7)i set the nvidia web drivers application to use the nvidia graphics drivers and NOT the OS X nvidia drivers

8)Now you have already  do all the previous 7 steps it is time to install at the ESP partition the clover according to the picture of the guides of this thread.

9)I also attach* the config.plist which is the same for the 2 stages : (1st before installation for the usb installer &  2nd stage after the installation for installing the boot loader. Copy now the config.plist to the EFI/Clover and and confirm the replace of the file pressing the confirm button when you will asked for.

10)Download vodooHD installer from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/517-voodoohda-288pkg/ (select version 3) and install it as method 2 (You must read well the instruction (to understand which is the method number 2) at the time you install the .pkg file of vodooHD . For you help i explain is the installation at ESP, not UEFI , not Legacy. Because we don't use anymore the generic dsdt and probably we don't use the iMac 10.1 SMBIOS anymore it is IMPOSSIBLE to  have native sound. Yes i know its a petty but i cannot help anymore except @MacPeet wants and can help.

What works ?
Almost everything except the DVD ROM   (It works on el capitan 10.5) and the awake. You can sleep the optioplex put when you awake the optiplex the Nvidia never awake. So the oiptiplex is alive with no screen display.  :(  Also some times it can not restart. It stuck at the bios . I have the latest bios revision A15. 

P.S. Feel free ask for help. Every time you update the OS X you have to boot with boot argument nv_disable=1 to finish the update and after to download the new nvidia web drivers . So i hardly recommend not to update IMMEDIATELY but to wait 20 days , so the nvidia to update new drivers. If you update as soon as a new OS X launch then you will not have QE/QC support until nvidia upload new drivers. 

*Because i cannot attach config.plist (it is not permitted for me to this, maybe only the admins can...) i copy paste my config.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
<false/>
<key>Fixes</key>
<dict>
<key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
<true/>
<key>AddIMEI_80000</key>
<true/>
<key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
<true/>
<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixUSB_1000</key>
<true/>
<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>Patches</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>EHC1 to EH01</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>EHC2 to EH02</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMg==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMg==
</data>
</dict>
</array>
<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>DMAR</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>CpuPm</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>HaltEnabler</key>
<true/>
<key>SSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>DropOem</key>
<false/>
<key>EnableC6</key>
<true/>
<key>Generate</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>darkwake=1</string>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>OS X</string>
<key>Fast</key>
<true/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
<key>CPU</key>
<dict>
<key>UseARTFrequency</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
<key>FakeID</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>IMEI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>IntelGFX</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>LAN</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>NVidia</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>SATA</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>WIFI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>XHCI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
</dict>
<key>USB</key>
<dict>
<key>AddClockID</key>
<true/>
<key>FixOwnership</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>DisableDrivers</key>
<array>
<string>Nothing</string>
</array>
<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>CustomIcons</key>
<true/>
<key>Language</key>
<string>en:0</string>
<key>Mouse</key>
<dict>
<key>DoubleClick</key>
<integer>500</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Mirror</key>
<false/>
<key>Speed</key>
<integer>8</integer>
</dict>
<key>Scan</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<true/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<false/>
<key>Linux</key>
<false/>
<key>Tool</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>ScreenResolution</key>
<string>1680x1050</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>ios7</string>
</dict>
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>
<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
<false/>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>KernelCpu</key>
<false/>
<key>KernelHaswellE</key>
<false/>
<key>KernelLapic</key>
<false/>
<key>KernelPm</key>
<false/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>External icons patch</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RXh0ZXJuYWw=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SW50ZXJuYWw=
</data>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x3</string>
</dict>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
<string>02/29/08</string>
<key>BiosVendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>Board-ID</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
<key>BoardType</key>
<integer>11</integer>
<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
<string>Pro-Enclosure</string>
<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
<key>ChassisType</key>
<string>06</string>
<key>Family</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>Manufacturer</key>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>G8932URGXYL</string>
<key>Trust</key>
<false/>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

post-1678383-0-23736800-1464530227_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-23785200-1464530257_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-47906000-1464530287_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-11062100-1464530303_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-10932500-1464530318_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-74362800-1464530332_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-43740000-1464530346_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-68584200-1464530377_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-07211800-1464530388_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-40029100-1464530401_thumb.png

post-1678383-0-99477400-1464530412_thumb.png

• Like 2

10)Download vodooHD installer from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/517-voodoohda-288pkg/ (select version 3) and install it as method 2 (You must read well the instruction (to understand which is the method number 2) at the time you install the .pkg file of vodooHD . For you help i explain is the installation at ESP, not UEFI , not Legacy. Because we don't use anymore the generic dsdt and probably we don't use the iMac 10.1 SMBIOS anymore it is IMPOSSIBLE to  have native sound. Yes i know its a petty but i cannot help anymore except @MacPeet wants and can help.

What works ?

Almost everything except the DVD ROM   (It works on el capitan 10.5) and the awake. You can sleep the optioplex put when you awake the optiplex the Nvidia never awake. So the oiptiplex is alive with no screen display.  :(  Also some times it can not restart. It stuck at the bios . I have the latest bios revision A15. 

P.S. Feel free ask for help. Every time you update the OS X you have to boot with boot argument nv_disable=1 to finish the update and after to download the new nvidia web drivers . So i hardly recommend not to update IMMEDIATELY but to wait 20 days , so the nvidia to update new drivers. If you update as soon as a new OS X launch then you will not have QE/QC support until nvidia upload new drivers.

I'm happy you managed to make it works but I'm not sure you need to do all that changes to achieve this.

First, nv_disable=1 should works regardless the SMBios, install method, use or not use of a patched DSDT. It's unrelated.

Second, I'm pretty sure the Generic DSDT would work for any GFX card. There's nothing specific in it and the fact that the GT 720 is obviously a sort of fake Kepler (as the GT 730 I own) shouldn't interfere with this.

Third, native AppleHDA sound & wake can't work because you don't use the DSDT anymore.

I think the point here is to use the correct SMBios. While I don't see why using an iMac10,1 fails, obviously the GT 720 needs another one, i.e. MacPro3,1 or iMac14,2. The latter has too many differences about architectural design so I guess sticking to MacPro3,1 is a good idea ;).

Anyway, now that everything is set up you should try to boot using Generic DSDT.aml and report here how it goes. There's no need to make it default, just rename it to DSDT1.aml, leave it in CLOVER/ACPI/patched and call it at Clover's boot menu > Options > DSDT fix mask > DSDT name : DSDT1.aml

Did you read this BTW ?

PS :

*Because i cannot attach config.plist (it is not permitted for me to this, maybe only the admins can...) i copy paste my config.plist

Just zip it :P.

I'm happy you managed to make it works but I'm not sure you need to do all that changes to achieve this. --->>>>>Don't be so sure. Theoretically you are right but the real fact is different...

First, nv_disable=1 should works regardless the SMBios, install method, use or not use of a patched DSDT. It's unrelated. ---->>>I have wrote 2 times in above posts that i have tried it and in the middle of the installation (when the verbose mode ends and it is time to see the GUI) the optiplex suddenly reboots to BIOS. I tried it more than 7 times... Believe it or NOT.

Second, I'm pretty sure the Generic DSDT would work for any GFX card. There's nothing specific in it and the fact that the GT 720 is obviously a sort of fake Kepler (as the GT 730 I own) shouldn't interfere with this.--->>>Don't be so sure. What i rote it was after 12 hours of every possible combination of experiment. Believe THERE IS SOMETHING SPECIFIC with the 720 and on the verbose mode i could read this:"Fatal error with kepler chipset" , "Fatal error with unknown kepler chipset" "NVDIAXXXXX not compatible drivers". Exactly as i write it here. 

Third, native AppleHDA sound & wake can't work because you don't use the DSDT anymore.--->>Probably it's very obvious. But thank you because although i was pretty sure that it was DSDT the reason, i gave a 5% possibility to be the new SMBIOS of MacPro who i decided to use. Thanks you make it clear to me. Thanks for the knowledge.

I think the point here is to use the correct SMBios. While I don't see why using an iMac10,1 fails, obviously the GT 720 needs another one, i.e. MacPro3,1 or iMac14,2. The latter has too many differences about architectural design so I guess sticking to MacPro3,1 is a good idea ;). --->>>At last in every difficult case SMBIOS of MacPro 3.1 save lives .  :yes: Definitely the SMBIOS it was the reason i managed to finalise the installation without the reboot problem i mentioned above. 

Anyway, now that everything is set up you should try to boot using Generic DSDT.aml and report here how it goes. There's no need to make it default, just rename it to DSDT1.aml, leave it in CLOVER/ACPI/patched and call it at Clover's boot menu > Options > DSDT fix mask > DSDT name : DSDT1.aml --->>>And what do you think will this help for? We are talking for the same DSDT and we rename it and we call not from config.plist but from Clover's boot menu. OK. And so what?  Why to change something?

Did you read this BTW ?

PS :

Just zip it :P.--->>>At last you know everything! Genius polyzargon! +1000 

Polyzargone first of all let's clarify something. I really REALLY appreciate the help you give to people free of charges! But let me explain something about why happened that to me with the optiplex 780 and why i believe you must embed the incident to the guide of the thread as an APPENDIX for installation of el capiitan (10.4) with GT 720 on optiplex 780... Let's go and read below:

1. Optiplex's 760 last revision Bios is A16
  2. Optiplex's 780 last revision Bios is A15
  3. I own both models
  4. To be more specific i had already managed to install el capitan on my father's in law optiplex 780 with GeForce 8800 with 100% success according to the guide of this thread.
  5. The guide on this thread mention NOTHING FOR THE OPTIMAL SETTINGS OF THE BIOS... (Everybody set the Bios as he thinks will work)
  6. The DSDT what does is to patch the Bios. BUT FOR WHICH REVISION AND OF WHICH BIOS (760 or 780?) AND WITH WHAT SETTINGS? 
  7. The 2 different models of optiplex HAVE DIFFERENT BOARDS. That's why they have different Bioses. The obvious differences are the memory controller part on the mobos. The 760 controls DDR2 800Mhz memories and 780 controls DDR3 1333Mhz memories. All the other changes are really very minor changes e.g different capacity of HDD and by no means this is something which effects the installation progress and the success of the installation. Also the sound cards are the same exactly, the power supplies the same again the cases the same again and the on board Video Cards the same again.
  8. The Bioses i write that are different,  BUT at the optical section (what a user see with his eyes)  are a copy-paste BIOS.  But why the 2 models have different version of Bioses? It's a mystery which for me more or less make the 2 models not 100% identical. So maybe you are right when you wrote to made the installation with the boot argument nv_disable=1 but BELIEVE IT OR NOT this never helped the installation to comes to an end. It ever gave me a reboot, when the verbose mode ended and the time for the GUI arrived.
  9. The reason i am writing this post is just to help someone with the same combination (optiplex 780 @2,93Mhz with Nvidia GT 720) and maybe less knowledge, to be disappointed and to abandon the project of the installation El Capitan. It's obvious that i just want to help in future similar hardware combinations like mine's.
  10. Last but not least my experience so far in Hackintosh scene, taught me NOT to believe that everything is obvious and "because THIS then THAT."  For me the Hackintosh scene is a trial and error game. For example the last month MacPeet helped a member of this thread to achieve sound at his optiplex. If everything was so obvious why that guy had so many problems with the sound of it's mackintosh?Why some people have better results with Intel kext and other people with apple kext (I am writing about the ethernet kexts.)

Don't get me wrong. I really appreciate that you help to the people without ask for something. I just wanted to write my point of view. And wrote all those because what you proposed i had already tried , and many more that you didn't proposed which i tried for experimental reasons.

Everybody must keep in mind that what happened , happened on optiplex 780 with Nvidia GT 720 and Bios revision A15 (with my specific settings on Bios) and on El Capitan 10.4 

P.S. The key was the SMBIOS of MacPro and the key also is this paragraph:"The DSDT what does is to patch the Bios. BUT FOR WHICH REVISION AND OF WHICH BIOS (760 or 780?) AND WITH WHAT SETTINGS? " Can a DSDT mask and patch every revision and every setting of a Bios? I Guess no. If i guess wrong please correct me.

Regards,

Pavlos 

• Like 1

Well, don't get me wrong too :P !

I have absolutely nothing against the idea to add an appendix to the guide. But in case you've missed it, I'm not the OP of this guide and I have no rights to do so ;).

Now, if we sum-up a little bit what happened to you, there are some paths that can be investigated (and this is my whole point here : trying to understand why and what fails) :

- Is the GT 720 not the culprit ? To me, this is very likely. As I said, I own a GT 730 that I would never buy/advice again for this reason : Fake Kepler.

- Is the SMBios not the culprit ?

- Is the DSDT the culprit ?

I definitely don't understand nor see why nv_disavle=1 didn't worked. I mean, it's a totally standard boor-arg that works regardless the bootloader, the hardware (NVIDIA of course), the software (DSDT/SMBios actually) or even the fact that it's a Hack or a Mac. His job is to disable all nvidia related kexts so you don't have to care about the GFX is supported or not. Basically, it tells OS X : don't load any NVIDIA kexts and use VESA drivers (the same used in Safe mode).

But if you say you never achieved to make it work, that's OK and I believe you. No problem. We already saw here some Radeon HD 5450 that prevented people from installing until they unplug them, install OS X and replug them after. Really strange but why not ?

I totally agree when you say that one should not be sure of anything when it comes to Hackintosh :).

Back to investigation, I was just wondering if just changing the SMBios w/o the need to unplug the GT 720 AND remove the Generic DSDT wouldn't be enough to get the install screen. You're right when you suspect it and I also think that it might be the real culprit in all of this.

That's why I proposed you to try booting with the Generic DSDT. If it's a success, you'll have the possibility to get both native AppleHDA sound and hopefully working sleep/wake :D.

PS : Ideally, we all should have a self-patched DSDT for every single Optiplex models. Sadly, I'm not skilled enough to do that. The best I can do is to try. So if you provide a dump of clean ACPI files (hit F4 at Clover's boot menu and post zipped folder of EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin), I could try some things.

But again, I really doubt that the DSDT has something to do here. But again (again), I totally agree when you say "my experience so far in Hackintosh scene, taught me NOT to believe that everything is obvious and "because THIS then THAT.".

• Like 2

@ Theoprofil:

Hello.  I also had a bit of difficulty with my Optiplex 780 with GT 730.  Here is what I did to get everything working:

1.  Install OS X El Capitan to a new drive from a working Mac or hackintosh.

2.  When installation is done, run Clover and install the Clover boot loader on to the same drive.

3.  Copy the Clover folder to the EFI partition.

4.  Copy the DTST to the EFI partition.

5.  Shut down and move the drive to your Optiplex and boot up.

For me, everything works including GT 730, sleep/wake, audio over HDMI.  I had slight problem with ethernet but I figured out a workaround.

• Like 1