[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Dell Optiplex 790 10.12.2 Tutorial

Things you need:

- an 8GB usb stick or larger

- an other Mac or PC running Mac OS

First download the Sierra installer App from the App store.

After that download the latest version of Clover here: Clover Bootloader

Download Diskmaker X from here http://diskmakerx.com

Open Diskmaker X with your usb stick plugged in to your computer. Follow the steps and create a bootable Sierra usb stick.

After that open the clover installer and select the settings from above. Select the usb stick as the target disk.

After the installer is done, the EFI partition will be mounted on the desktop. Copy the EFI folder from the Optiplex 790 folder downloaded from here: 790_Clover.zip to the root of the EFI drive.

After that copy the kexts from /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 to the other folder.

Restart you pc and boot from usb. Select the install partition in Clover.

When the installer has loaded go to disk utility and elect the disk you want to install Sierra on. Format the disk to Mac OS Extended (journaled). 

Close disk utility and proceed the steps in the installer. (make sure you select the correct disk)

When the installer is done reboot.

When you have an ATI HD5450 you can use the DSDT provided in the 790 folder. If you have an other card follow the steps below.

To create a DSDT for your system follow this tutorial (windows is required.) 

When you've completed that, copy the dsdt to an other usb stick. After that boot into the installer usb and select the drive you've installed Sierra on. Download MacAisl fro here https://sourceforge.net/projects/maciasl/

Rename the DSDT file to DSDT.aml and open the file with MacAiSL.

Go to preferences and add this source http://pjalm.com/repos/general

Go to patch and select this patch USB - Device Renames for OSX 10.11

Then hit compile. If you get the 4080 error follow this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/error-4080-when-compiling-dsdt-for-p8h61-mx.97353/

After that install the latest version of Clover with the settings from above on your Sierra drive.

The EFI partition will be mounted on your desktop. Copy the DSDT to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

Download Clover configurator from here: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/

Mount the EFI Partition from your usb stick using Clover configurator and select the config.plist file. Write down all the settings you find in there and then restart Clover Configurator.

Now select the EFI partition from your Sierra disk and select the config.plist on that drive. Copy all the settings you wrote down EXCEPT the Inject ATI setting.

Navigate to SMBIOS abd select the magic stick. Select the iMac icon and select iMac 12,2

Save the file and exit

When thats done, open the optiplex 790 folder and copy the kexts from the EFI|/CLOVER/kexts folder to your kexts folder on your EFI drive. make sure you put them in the 10.12 folder.

After that you can reboot your system without the usb stick and you should be good to go.

Google for the right drivers for your specific GPU.

When you have the ATI card you can boot into the usb stick and select the drive you've installed Sierra on.

When you've reached the desktop, install the latest version of Clover on you Sierra disk.

After that copy the kexts from the 790 folder to the kexts/10.12 folder on your EFI drive.

Then copy the config.plist from the 790 folder to your EFI drive.

And last but not least copy the ACPI folder from the 790 folder to your EFI drive.

MAKE SURE YOU OVERWRITE THE FILES WHEN ASKED.

Then download Clover Configurator (link above) and mount your EFI disk and select the correct config.plist.

Navigate to SMBIOS abd select the magic stick. Select the iMac icon and select iMac 12,2

Save the file and exit

Remove the usb drive and reboot and you should be good to go.

Sound works with the latest VoodooHDA driver: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

When you want to get native power management for the CPU follow this tutorial: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

MAKE SURE THAT YOU ALSO RUN THIS PATCH WHEN YOU WANT NATIVE POWER MANAGEMENT: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/132-aicpmpatch/

When you're done, you can delete the nullcpupowermanagement kext from the kexts folder on your EFI partition and reboot.

This is my first tutorial so i hope you guys can follow it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers!

• Like 2

so far I've found nothing that isn't working!  :) 

:rolleyes:

Is your native AppleHDA Sound with HDMI working? 

There is a reason the realtekALC.kext was included in my 790_Clover.zip that you linked to. ;)

It's because MacPeet got the native AppleHDA Sound working for the 790 too. 

If you want the updated version for Sierra, you can find it on Post #1 of MacPeet's 755/760/780/790 Sierra Guide. :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312656-guide-macos-sierra-1012-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790/

MacPeet's AppleHDA Sound for Optiplex 790.  :yes:

on_the_fly_Audio_Optiplex790_10.12_Sierra_276_26.zip    

My Optiplex 790 Sierra Update Done!   B)

67qwzs.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Celeron 2 GB without graphic card. It can't boot into macOS Sierra installation. Tried some boot args, some configuration in option that i already forgot but still won't boot. I don't really have knowledge of kernel thing so i don't know which options to configure

WMHW8g3.jpg

I have a Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Celeron 2 GB without graphic card. It can't boot into macOS Sierra installation. Tried some boot args, some configuration in option that i already forgot but still won't boot. I don't really have knowledge of kernel thing so i don't know which options to configure

Seems like you didn't followed the guide to the letter. Make sure you're using Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v4.zip files from post #1 and that you installed them in the right place.

Also, I think you'll need a discrete GFX card. The graphic chip in these Optiplex is definitely not supported by OS X anyway. Also, give more info on that Celeron like model and 64 Bits support.

CPU is Intel Celeron 440 Processor (2.0GHz, 512K L2 cache, 800MHz FSB). I followed the normal guide on youtub without patch. I just looking for help here. Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v4.zip doesn't sound like it will work on 755 macOS. I try to get some GFX card

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I have a Dell 790 with BIOS Revision A18 and I'm struggling to get UEFI to work and boot from, it does not recognise my USB stick "The selected boot device failed". I've tried a couple of different memory sticks and I can only get Legacy to work. On a note Legacy does work and I can install El Capitan using the information on this thread (many thanks to all the contributors), but Sierra is where I'm coming unstuck and I think the problem may be UEFI.

Settings:

I have no security on the BIOS, UEFI is selected but when I browse to add the USB stick as a bootable device I can't see the USB stick name, just it's subfolders. I've created a boot device for BOOT, EFI (folders). The BIOS posts and reads the memory stick but I get a non bootable device error "The selected boot device failed".

The memory stick is formatted GUID, Mac OS Journaled. All folder structure is correct (I think as it'll work if I re-configure for legacy boot).

The Dell 790, is the i3 2120 version, 4Gb RAM and works fine with El Capitan, sound, ethernet etc.

Hopefully a simple fix for somebody who has better knowledge of the Revision A18 BIOS on the 790's?

Thanks all in advance  :)

• 4 weeks later...

any kext for TP link wn751 pci wifi card. I have installed one and it worked for me but when i restarted my system Its now restarting automatically.

My specs

Dell optiplex 780 SFF

3.16 core 2 duo

ATI HD 5450 512MB

8GB RAM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

what smbios settings can I use? Can I choose random Configurations (like newer years than late 2009?)

Not without some mods.

The USB_Injector.kext is specially designed for iMac10,1 models. As an alternative, you can edit the USB_Injector.kext/Contents/info.plist and find/replace any instance of iMac10,1 by the SMBios of your choice.

But keep in mind that the SMBios needs to be the closest as possible to the specs of your Optiplex 780 MT and it wouldn't make any sense to choose one that's based on an Haswell architecture for example.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi there, my computer has the following specs

Dell optiplex 755 SFF

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600@2,4 GHz

NVIDIA 9400 GT

4GB RAM

Yosemite 10.11.5

This computer  have been working great for 2 years. Last week the system disk died, so I lost my yosemite installation disk.

I replaced the broken disk with another one and installed yosemite again.

Now I have a fresh installation of yosemite working again.

But I´ve decided that is time to upgrade to El Capitan/Sierra.

Unfortunately, I read that my cpu Q6600  only support S3, so I cannot install Sierra.

So I decided to upgrade to El capitan.

The BIOS configuration that works with Yosemite is

RAID Autodetect/ATA, so I keep the same for el Capitan.

I followed the guide from post #1 creating the usb with el capitan and clover.

I copied the kext Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip 

I tried different optiopns but I always get the error of this picture.

Have someone the same model as me ,and share with me your EFI folder, or guided me in the process

of installation?

Thanks a lot.

post-338199-0-17316200-1505991817_thumb.jpg

I tried to use the Direktupdate app and now ended up in a kernel panic I think. In clover, my ssd renamed from "El Capitan ssd" in something like "install Macos from El Capitan ssd" but when I hit enter I get a black screen. I already tried to boot in safe mode but it didn't work. Verbose mode tells me "uptime in nanoseconds ...."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am about to build my first Hackintosh a Dell 790 SFF core i5-2400, 8gbram , 500gb HDD and gygabite AMD Radeon HD 5450. Do you guys have any advice or a step by step guide for this particular Optiplex? Thanks