[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Thanks @morpheousman

Using your DSDT I managed to create a new USB installer and load up my existing install and correct the changes to the config.plist.

Am now booting from Hard Drive again, phew!

Anyways, as I said in an earlier post - all my hard drives attached via USB are showing up in the finder window as an 'internal' attached drive. Now the drives function and works as they should but was hoping someone can point me in the right direction to try a few things to see if it can be fixed and get them working and recognised properly. 

Regards,

Dan

Ok - a little update on the Dell Optiplex 990

Comparing config.plist files and found a lot of discrepancies between mine and yours.

I swapped out the config.plist file and loaded up with @morpheousman config and rebooted.

All USB drives working as they should (shown as removable device in finder sidebar/preferences).

But, graphics are now glitchy and slow. I'm using the Nvidia 8400GS and selected inject nvidia in clover configurator (unselected inject ATI) but graphics still buggy. I know this card works properly in el capitan as I have used it successfully by following this guide.

Would this be a DSDT issue? I'm not fully up to speed when it comes to editing DSDT's

If anyone can offer any assistance or point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it. Also would be great to add the dell optiplex 990 to the confirmed working list following this guide and using @morpheousman's 790 CLOVER file :)

Thanks @Polyzargone - I'm trying it out now and will report back.

Funny thing - Using the original DSDT from @morpheousman with injectnvidia checklist 'off' made the graphics work as normal, but, made the usb issue come back(shown as internal).

Checking injectnvidia fixed the USB problem but made the issue with graphics! Weird!

Anyways, will test the generic DSDT now and report

Dan

Funny thing - Using the original DSDT from @morpheousman with injectnvidia checklist 'off' made the graphics work as normal, but, made the usb issue come back(shown as internal).

Checking injectnvidia fixed the USB problem but made the issue with graphics! Weird!

Indeed. Could you post your EFI folder ? Can't see any USB_Injector.kext in Clover 790.zip :unsure:

• Like 1

Another weird issue relating to the above:

- with the original DSDT + injectnvidia checked - graphics were glitchy and all USB ports working ok, the graphics in the system profiler showed the nvidia card ok but the vendor read: vendor ati 0x1002
- with the original DSDT + injectnvidia unchecked - graphics were great but USB Drives shown as internal, the graphics in the system profiler showed the nvidia card ok and the vendor read: vendor nvidia

EFI folder too large (20.6MB), Attached is the Clover folder from the EFI partition

Thanks for your help mate

Dan

Dell 990 CLOVER.zip

What about with the Generic DSDT I send you ? Looks like it's in ACPI/patched which is fine but are the Graphics OK with this one ?

As for the USB weirdness, I still don't see any USB_Injector.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11. I don't know anything about 990 Optiplex Series but if the USB ports layout is the same as the 760/780/790 Series, you could try the one that's included in the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip from OP.

Using an injector is the best way to fix external drives showing as internal.

Anyway, I'm not sure if checking Inject Nvidia is still necessary when you use the Generic DSDT so you may try without it.

With the Generic DSDT you sent, boots fine and USB ports all working as they should, graphics not good though :(

Thanks again mate - will do some testing this afternoon and try a few different options (including the injector kext) and report back (just at work at the moment doing the updates through teamviewer  B)  :wink_anim: )

Dan

Indeed. Could you post your EFI folder ? Can't see any USB_Injector.kext in Clover 790.zip :unsure:

The 790 SFF has 10 USB ports, 4 in the front and 6 in the rear. With the extra 2 in the front, it makes the layout a little different than the 760/780.

The USB ports seem to work pretty good without the injector kext, just a little erratic  ejecting USB drives at times.

post-1129773-0-96556900-1472196347_thumb.pngDell Optiplex 990 DSDT.aml.zip

After carrying out some more testing with the 'generic' DSDT 790 config, the nvidia graphics is still unable to load.

In both cases, the  the graphics in the system profiler showed the nvidia card ok but the vendor read: vendor ati 0x1002. This is with the injectnvidia both checked and then unchecked in clover configurator

Screenshot of the system profiler and attached DSDT used in this configuration (everything works except graphics)

And this is the 'about this mac' screenshot:

post-1129773-0-37547600-1472196565_thumb.png

I also can confirm the dell optiplex 990 (mine is SFF) has 4 USB ports in front and 6 USB ports in back. Using the 790 DSDT without the USB injector kext all USB ports work

Thanks mate - tried with the 990 generic DSDT and these are the results:

Booting with injectnvidia on - graphics buggy and lost screen resolution (1280 x 1024 only)

Booting without injectnvidia (no checked boxes on any 'inject' clover configurator) - graphics buggy and lost screen resolution as above.

You can see from the screenshots that it looks as if the graphics card is not recognised - also serial of the machine - I checked the SMBIOS and all the info is still there just not being displayed

post-1129773-0-90378500-1472213484_thumb.png

post-1129773-0-28371000-1472213519_thumb.png

Both boots and the USB ports work as they should - all available and read as external.

?????????????????? Crazy! lol

Anyways I have attached some screenshots of the above, the EFI folder used to boot (including DSDT and config.plist)

Dell Optiplex EFI with Generic DSDT.zip

Dell Optiplex 990 IOReg.zip

• Like 1

Well something's wrong about DSDT.

Hit F4 at Clover boot then post EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder here.

Can you boot w/o any DSDT btw ? If yes, then post a new IOReg so we're sure there's no interference with a faulty DSDT. If not, then boot with a config you know it works with Graphics.

• Like 1

Dell Optiplex 990 Success!!

After trying many settings with DSDT's and config files, I now have a fully working Dell Optiplex 990 SFF running El Capitan 10.11.6.

Everything is working, sleep, shutdown, iMessage etc!

As per above posts, I was having difficulty on my existing system with either non accelerated graphics or external USB drives reading as internal.

After trying many different settings with the help of the files (790 CLOVER) and members of this thread, I started again as follows:

Booted up with 790 Clover EFI folder 'as is' which got me into the machine. USB ports working but graphics buggy.

Once in, I opened the config.plist file from the EFI folder that was used to boot the machine.

Downloaded the 790 Clover folder from @morpheousman to the desktop

I then opened the config.plist file from @morpheousman 790 Clover folder on the desktop.

Comparing the 2 files in clover configurator, it showed that clover added many fixes and removed the patches to the booted config file (even though the files were exactly the same before booting)

I then mirrored the config files so that they were identical - Removing the fixes that were added and manually entering the patches as per the original config.plist from the config file that was in the 790 CLOVER folder. The only extra entries I added were - injectnvidia for my Nvidia 8400GS and removed the name 'shrike' from the framebuffer.

I rebooted (this took about 20 minutes - must've been writing to the nvRAM) and, viola!

Fully working Dell Optiplex 990 running El Capitan 10.11.6 :) :)

I know the above is not as technical for an explanation but more of a trial and error process and am delighted with the results.

I have attached my EFI folder (Essentially the same as @morpheousman 790 CLOVER with the injectnvidia fix)

Again many thanks to polyzargone for your patience and help with this and and morpheousman for the files. Please have a looked at the attached files and offer any advice / suggestions for improvements as you guys are the sensei!

Dan

post-1129773-0-64913500-1472289736_thumb.png

post-1129773-0-81740000-1472289757_thumb.png

Dan's Dell Optiplex 990 EFI.zip

Dan's Dell Optiplex 990 IOReg.zip

• Like 3

I too am facing the same thing with my 790. I was using an nvidia card first and everything worked fine except for sound. Last night I swapped the nvdia 630 card with an ati 5450 gpu, rebooted and graphics is glitchy. Funny thing is all the vram shows as 512mb but graphic is glitchy. I even reinstalled with the ati card and ended with the same result. I tried what you did Dan but it didn't work out for me. I wonder if I use your 990 efi folder and just check ati under config.plist in clover if I'll have success.

• Like 1

Dan, I tried your efi folder and no luck. Still having that issue with graphics.  I'm beginning to question if the card i got from ebay is faulty. I wish i had another ati hd5450 to test but i don't.  I could use an nvidia card just fine but i want to be able to use applehda  instead of voodoohda.  Im really out of ideas as to what could be causing this issue.

• Like 1

Yeah I know it's a shame. That's what I initially started with, the 790 clover folder. And it wasn't working for me. Ever since I swapped the gpu from nvidia to the 5450, graphics has been glitchy. The main reason I went with the hd5450 was to be able to get audio with the applehda.kext.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to this guide, I have now set up my 780 with El Capitan. Everything that I have on the system is working (GC, Sound, LAN etc). Also wanted to report that my Sapphire HD 5450 is fully working with that attached DSDT. No issues. I read that some of us were having issues with the same GC. Fortunately I do not. 

One question I have is what PCI (and not PIC-E) wifi card can I use? I have no wifi card now. This is a SFF system and the only PCI-E slot is taken up by the GC. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

I will test sleep at the weekend... I never use sleep to be honest... I have my Screen set to screen saver only after 15 minutes and I shut down when the computer when I am away for long periods of time... I always have sleep turned off in system preferences... It makes sense if you're using a laptop to save battery but on mains power...? I have never used it on my real Mac to be honest! I still have put the hard drives to sleep when possible in energy save and it works for me!

I will report back at the weekend :-)

• Like 1