[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Just a quick question: I installed OS X on a 32GB SDXC card. Reeeeally sluggish, though I can boot it through holding shift and hitting Restart from Win8.1. I'd imagine the SD card the reason it's sluggish?

Edit: Playing with it more, the USB doesn't work and I have to do the Graphics fixes in Clover every time I boot. I think I need to tweak some more. Launching apps is actually really fast, I think the

Hi, dude, how did you deal with the USB problem, does it work finally?

Your welcome... and you bother noone!!! Just in case noone answers you again... If anyone would reply "hey dude, dunno!" the thread would EXPLODE. :ihw_pop:

And your question: yes it is on my internal. My need for the hub were backup purposes (clonezillaUSB, external keyboard, backupHD). I dont really need that much "external". For diskspace i bought a 64GB SDXC, this thingy is reachable from OSX and Win8. I use my main USB for a mouse (i have no BT mouse...) or if i need the WIFI-dongle. It is not my main working machine...but the most mobile.

Okay, got you, thanks very much. I will try some to see if USB hub will work or not, if still have no break, I then will install it on internal SSD, how many space do you reserve for your Mac OSX BTW?

SurfacePro2OSX

Trying to install OSX and keep getting error saying missing bluetooth controller transport!

Does anybody know how to fix this and get OSX working?

Have you copied appropriate kexts?  Usually that is due to not copying FakeSMC.kext.  

SURFACEPRO

Finally got this installed, just repartitioned the internal SSD and installed Clover to the EFI partition. Much speedier.

Strange thing is, when I was booting from the SD card, internal BT worked without issue. Now that I've switched to the SSD, it no longer works... ideas?

Okay, got you, thanks very much. I will try some to see if USB hub will work or not, if still have no break, I then will install it on internal SSD, how many space do you reserve for your Mac OSX BTW?

Mac OSX is 50GB, running Logic, outsourced the instruments,loops etc. to the SDXC - on the Win8 side is the Adobe stuff, and some data... about 77GB :) - on both installs roundabout 20GB left - for more useless data, an external 1TB drive.

Mac OSX is 50GB, running Logic, outsourced the instruments,loops etc. to the SDXC - on the Win8 side is the Adobe stuff, and some data... about 77GB :) - on both installs roundabout 20GB left - for more useless data, an external 1TB drive.

Great, thanks for your information, dude. Very good suggestion for me. BTW, do you using v0.4 files or v0.3 files from the guide? All works for you except internal wifi card? (Video card, sounds, USB ports, Bluetooth, etc.)

Great, thanks for your information, dude. Very good suggestion for me. BTW, do you using v0.4 files or v0.3 files from the guide? All works for you except internal wifi card? (Video card, sounds, USB ports, Bluetooth, etc.)

Yes, everything, but no intWIFI. I am using a kext-"mixture" :D . Just try it out. If it wont boot with the kexts, boot by USB-installer, change the kexts, reboot. V0.3 worked fine. V0.4 worked too, but problems with the DSDT.

Yes, everything, but no intWIFI. I am using a kext-"mixture" :D . Just try it out. If it wont boot with the kexts, boot by USB-installer, change the kexts, reboot. V0.3 worked fine. V0.4 worked too, but problems with the DSDT.

Thanks, dude. Actually I compared all kexts in v0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, they are all binary the same, the only difference is config.plist and dsdt.aml. So kexts should not be a problem, but config.plist and dsdt.aml file.

BTW, do you think the internal wifi problem will be fixed finally? If so, that's perfect.

Another question, I could not have Clover installed to my Mac OSX partition on SSD, do I need to format the whole SSD first to GPT format?? If so...Wanna give up...(update: seem this is true, I now use 10GB partition from external HDD as bootloader).

Edit again: When install on SSD(I have 47GB for it on internal SSD), security options is gray, so no where to change to GPT. What's your case when install?

(Update: Now I install Mac 10.9.3 in SSD without install Clover on the partition, use external 10GB partition as bootloader, I could accept it.)

To me, except Bluetooth(could not be turned off) and internal Wifi, others work fine. Thanks again very much, caleidosCope.

So I was able successfully install os x 10.9.3 on my surface pro. The issue I am having is that I am unable to install clover efi on the ssd. I think that the issue is that when it try's to install its unable to mount the efi partition. I have formatted the efi partition as fat32. I also noticed that any fat32 formatted flash drives are unable to mount. Has anyone seen this issue before and what's the best way to go about fixing this?

SurfacePro2OSX

Trying to install OSX and keep getting error saying missing bluetooth controller transport!

Does anybody know how to fix this and get OSX working?

Please, use the search function (up right - phrase "missing bluetooth controller" - search in this thread): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 ... i can not link to it. just try it out.

does it works  with a wifi usb adapter?

:surprised:  :surprised:  :surprised:  :surprised:

PLEASE, those question were already asked!

So Stop posting comments without even caring of reading the first page guide.

And please follow the thread rules adding a signature and using badges when asking for help.

• Like 2

(surface2win)

Well, my low vision has been just too much of a problem with the small form factor of the surface pro 2 screen.  I'm going to sell the unit and wait until August when I can get my hands on the larger form factor  surface pro 3 with the big, fat ssd.  Sigh.  I'd like to give that brand new, out-of-box experience to the next owner, so my plan is to 1) delete the OS X partition 2) expand the windoze partition to consume all of the space OS X was using 3) newfs the newly expanded windows partition 4) remove clover from the EFI parttion and 5) reinstall windows from the recovery partition.  Make sense?  Should I newfs the EFI partition before the windoze install?

Thanks guys.  See you in August.

@aardvark23

Sad that you are leaving, hope to see you when the sp3 willl be hacked...

p.s.

i suggest you to create a bootable windows 8 installation usb and format the whole drive, just to do it in the clean way ;)

• Like 1

3. The bluetooth is constantly on and the turn off button is greyed out. Is there a terminal command to manually turn off the bluetooth?

It is not clear to me if this actually wastes any power, specially since the "other half" of the card is always kept powered on, even if you remove the extensions.

For power saving one would need to turn off the entire USB device, and I don't think this is easily possible.

so my plan is to 1) delete the OS X partition 2) expand the windoze partition to consume all of the space OS X was using 3) newfs the newly expanded windows partition 4) remove clover from the EFI parttion and 5) reinstall windows from the recovery partition.  Make sense?  Should I newfs the EFI partition before the windoze install?

I think that the normal recovery USB that can be generated from Windows will also delete and recreate all partitions.

• Like 1

I think that the normal recovery USB that can be generated from Windows will also delete and recreate all partitions.

OK, for those who want to reset back to a windoze operating system, here's how I did it.  Make a USB recovery stick and plug it in.  From windoze, find the updates and recovery menu underneath change pc settings.  There is an option there to recover the pc.  You'll be asked if you just want to scrub your personal files or nuke the entire disk.  I chose to option to nuke the disk.  That took awhile; well over an hour.  When the system was done, it came back up as a completely uninitialized install.  At that point, I still had to use the volume rocker (up) and boot back into the secure boot menu to re-enable secure boot.  That did it.  Thanks all!

So, after 5 retinal detachments, I'm looking forward to the larger form factor display of the SP3.  Until then, I've got a clinic with Victor Wooten on Friday.  Eat your heart out...

Hi all and thanks for posting the guides. I've been able to get OS X installed and booting off the USB sticks clover EFI. However ice had several unsuccessful attempts at installing the EFI.

After installing clover on the disk do I need to mount the EFI partition and move the config.plist and dsdt files that I used to boot the USB drive? And to make sure I'm clear, when prepping the USB drive I added some kexts, a config.plist to /clover/EFI, and the appropriate files to clover/EFI/Acpi/patched. Do I do this same process on the hard drive? I know how to mount the EFI partition for writing.

I have a surface pro 2 using the patched kernel supplied in this thread. It runs fine but only after starting up from the USB drive. I can provide any other information to make sure I am conforming to the appropriate way to post for help.

Thanks

@zer0t 

Problems and solution to the efi installation issue have been already discussed, please use search, update your signature and add a badge.

surfacewin

Hi, I am trying to make achieve dual boot.

I've followed every steps, but cant get into MacOs except through safe mode

-- booting without cache and with inject kexts does not work

It freezes after NTFS-fs errors and warnings.

I was able to install all the kexts through kextdrop in safemode,

but I couldn't install clover, because it was failing to install.

Can someone help me please?

Thank you,