[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Hi , I just managed to install 10.9.3 on my Surface Pro 2 ..... Unfortunately, my Wifi USB is not Supported by MAc OSX, so I'm actually living with a wired connection =

On Question would be how to manage to get clover installed on the SSD. Everytime I try to install it, I get a Failure (probably because it is dual boot). So I have to boot on the USB with Volume Down

Do I have alwys to boot without Caches and Injected kext, or is it a way to make this "automatically"

Anyway, Great Job !

Thanks in advance

SURFACEPRO DUAL BOOT

Hi , I just managed to install 10.9.3 on my Surface Pro 2 ..... Unfortunately, my Wifi USB is not Supported by MAc OSX, so I'm actually living with a wired connection =

On Question would be how to manage to get clover installed on the SSD. Everytime I try to install it, I get a Failure (probably because it is dual boot). So I have to boot on the USB with Volume Down

Do I have alwys to boot without Caches and Injected kext, or is it a way to make this "automatically"

Anyway, Great Job !

Thanks in advance

If you have kept the Windows partition and gone to 8.1, it creates a space before the Windows partition on the hard disk, that needs deleted then clover will install, it's on a post in this thread....somewhere, I had the same problem, if you are stuck let me know and I'll boot I mine and check which positions I kept.

Hope that helps!

Edit: spelling

Would be great if you could tell me, I've started to read the 86 pages, but it is very long :)

and for the bootin, you still need to select "without caches....." ?

Ok, will load it and check ASAP for you. The cache bit, no, or at least I don't, just have two disks show up, Windows on the left, osx on the right, I set mine to default to Windows after 2 seconds untouched so I don't need to worry about having keyboard attached to boot an os if I am just doing something quickly.

SURFACEPRODUALBOOT

Would be great if you could tell me, I've started to read the 86 pages, but it is very long :)

and for the bootin, you still need to select "without caches....." ?

OK, I have a 600mb partition, the recovery one, then system at 200mb then Windows then osx.

The one I deleted was between system and Windows from memory, I think it was called something like reserved space.

Once done you merge it with the Windows partition then try installing clover as described.

I used easeus partition to do the work in Windows.

Cheers

OK, I have a 600mb partition, the recovery one, then system at 200mb then Windows then osx.

The one I deleted was between system and Windows from memory, I think it was called something like reserved space.

Once done you merge it with the Windows partition then try installing clover as described.

Weird, I only have a 350 mb Recovery, then System 200mb, then Windows and OSX (and after the 6go Recovery)

I do not have another in between I could delete !

Weird, I only have a 350 mb Recovery, then System 200mb, then Windows and OSX (and after the 6go Recovery)

I do not have another in between I could delete !

Strange. Are you running 8.1 our still Windows 8?

I will try to find the post I used in the morning but having a beer watching the football just now.

(For SurfacePro2 OSX)

This guide really needs to be updated. I am am experienced osx user and it took me three times to get the install to take. Prepping the drive is good, but the rest needs work. 

First off, for those who want to dual boot windows and mac, there are additional steps you must take BEFORE you install Mac, otherwise clover WILL NOT INSTALL. You also DO NOT have to wipe your windows partition!!

Simply download a partition program in windows, I used Easeus Partition Master. Once it loads, you should see several partitions in there. 

1. Delete all the partitions except for the one labeled EFI and your main windows partition. Apply the change. Now you should see an EFT partition, some unallocated space, and then your windows partition. NOTE!! At this point Clover will still not install, so don't try

2. resize the efi partition to take up all the space before your windows partition. This is one of the most important steps. Apply the change, and reboot (if you dont do this right you will have to run a windows repair from a live windows USB installer.)

3. Assuming all goes well and you are booted back into windows, go into your stock hard drive manager (Right click this pc, then click Manage, then look for disk managment,) Right click your windows partition and shrink it. Format the new space as NTFS, and follow the "to install on the surface pro 2" guide.

4. Once you are installed and you have used the terminal to copy the texts and kernel to where they need to be, reboot back into clover, keep pushing your arrow button until you get to the little options icon at the bottom. NOT CLOVER OPTIONS!! find where it says boot flags and change those to -v -f dart=0 (dart=0 is only on certain versions of the s2, so you may not need it.) Hit enter, return, and boot into your mac for the first time.

5. Once you are in, the only way that it will boot like it is supposed to is to delete all of the kexts that you copied over during the install. Delete those, then reinstall them with the kext utility. My SP2 would not run right at all until I did this!!

6.  Install any extra kexts thru kext utility ONLY!!!!

7. Reboot, do the option things again, only this time use -v Dart=0, should fire right up . Mine boots up in 3 seconds flat and runs like a top!!

8. Install clover to your internal EFI partition if you would like to. This has been discussed in other areas, so I am not going into the specifics, but the important part is that if you did steps 1-3 right, you will be able to install clover and go about your business. 

Hope this helps some poor soul to install OSX on their Surface Pro 2!! 

So I think this is the post regarding the dual boot and the partitionning !

Before trying this I would have 2 questions :

- do I loose the ability to restore the surface with the internal recovery Partition ?

- I have saved the recovery partition on an USB, If I restore with the usb, will it create again the recovery partition on the SSD ? This is a feature I do not want to loose, and after reading several forums I do not have found a clear answer about this !

Yeah that looks like the right process but you don't need to delete recovery which is where your drive mapping is different to mine.

If you delete the recovery drive then you lose it, having usb makes no difference, you would need an install from scratch and the Windows key from your system just now, if you don't have that already, would suggest getting it as a priority regardless!

Will have more of a look this morning for you, but the problem you are having is the same as I did and it's definitely fixable!

Hi, I have successfully performed a clean install on my surface pro first generation of OS X Mavericks, and have installed Clover to the SSD. Mostly everything is working (that i'm aware of), apart from the volume rockers on the left side of the surface, the built in WiFi, the bluetooth cannot be turned off (I don't need it and it uses up battery life) and the volume does work but it is distorted at low mid to low sound frequencies.

So as you can see, there are a few problems that need fixing (- the WiFi), I have made a list of solutions that I would be very grateful for if someone helped me fix them;

1. The volume can only be changed manually in the menu bar and when pressing the volume rockers on the side of the surface it has no effect. Is there an easy fix for this?

2. The sound is working, but when playing low mid to low sound frequencies there is  crackling and distortion to the sound. Can this annoying problem be fixed?

3. The bluetooth is constantly on and the turn off button is greyed out. Is there a terminal command to manually turn off the bluetooth?

4.  To get clover to boot straight in the OS X without selecting any of the other options such as load without caches and with injected kexts, I have to go in to options and tick the graphics injector thing and loadvideo checkbox under graphics options. Is there a way for Clover to do this automatically so i can quickly press enter as soon as the clover boot screen appears?

5. Also when I plug in headphones in to the audio jack, OS X doesn't automatically change the sound output device from the built in speakers to headphones like it does on my iMac. Which is frustrating as every time I plug my headphones in, I have to manually change the output device in sound preferences to headphones. Is there a solution to this?

I am wondering if the volume rocker issue was caused by the updates I performed in the app store, shortly after installing OS X, as before the updates the volume rocker was working.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

@miles400

welcome, please follow the thread rules add a signature and use the badges 

1. its a issue with the touchbase drivers 

2. go to midi setup and set a lower frequency

3. if bluetooth is not useful for you can delete its kext in system/library/extension and reboot

4. look for cloverconfigurator

5. we are working on getting the vanilla applehda to work to gain stability and auto jack detection

SURFACEPRO DUAL BOOT

@chocorem

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297118-surface-pro-how-to-boot-into-clover-directly-from-ssd-guide/

Early on I followed this as I couldnt get it to install, it worked and got me able to boot without the USB drive, but it showed up a lot of drives, I cant now remember what I did to completely fix it, will keep looking for you.

@miles400

welcome, please follow the thread rules add a signature and use the badges 

1. its a issue with the touchbase drivers 

2. go to midi setup and set a lower frequency

3. if bluetooth is not useful for you can delete its kext in system/library/extension and reboot

4. look for cloverconfigurator

5. we are working on getting the vanilla applehda to work to gain stability and auto jack detection

Thank you for helping me solve a number of issues I was experiencing. I still have the issue with the  audio distortion, I went into midi setup and tried each frequency but still experienced distortion with all of them. Is there any other way of solving the problem?

Thank you for helping me solve a number of issues I was experiencing. I still have the issue with the  audio distortion, I went into midi setup and tried each frequency but still experienced distortion with all of them. Is there any other way of solving the problem?

maybe this helps out...

Just a quick question: I installed OS X on a 32GB SDXC card. Reeeeally sluggish, though I can boot it through holding shift and hitting Restart from Win8.1. I'd imagine the SD card the reason it's sluggish?

Edit: Playing with it more, the USB doesn't work and I have to do the Graphics fixes in Clover every time I boot. I think I need to tweak some more. Launching apps is actually really fast, I think the

@JahStories, thanks for the tip, I change from v0.4 to v0.3, and HD4000 now work fine. Seem v0.4 really have some issues.

Also same as posted by other, bluetooth could not be turned off, you mentioned to delete the kext files, do you mean all the three kexts in /L/S/E that contain 'Bluetooth' keyword?

I have now realised that I am not able to adjust my screen brightness on my Surface Pro 1, when going into preferences displays there is no option for changing screen brightness and the built in screen picture shows a picture of a TV and not a macbook air. Could this be the reason for not being able to change the screen brightness, and is there a fix?

@JahStories, could you help? I asked you several times, seem none of my question get answered.

Now I am using v0.3 Clover configuration, and I installed all the kexts in v0.4 package.

My problem is USB hub working, when I plug USB device after boot into Mac 10.9.3, for example, iPhone, the color windmill appear, and system become busy and loss response to anything. What should I do, please help, thanks in advance.

@JahStories, could you help? I asked you several times, seem none of my question get answered.

Now I am using v0.3 Clover configuration, and I installed all the kexts in v0.4 package.

My problem is USB hub working, when I plug USB device after boot into Mac 10.9.3, for example, iPhone, the color windmill appear, and system become busy and loss response to anything. What should I do, please help, thanks in advance.

just overtaken.

Maybe he didn’t answer because he dont know how to fix?

Maybe you try another hub? What is if you connect your iPhone directly to the USB?

What was before you used the v0.4 package?

Was it working "ever"?

Other USB-stuff? Does a mouse/keyboard/harddisk/usb-dongle/fan what ever work on your USB setup? Hub or direct?

I read the whole thread now at least two times, no one has this problem. I use a USB3.0-Hub 4ports Manufactured by CSL. Works.

And as i see you are running OSX by an external, glad you have your signature up, so you cannot try to "direct-USB". It shouldn’t be a problem. This IS the problem. But and it is not covered in this thread. JahStories suggested (1st page) to install it on the internal HD. IMHO it is like your external is treatet lika an internal (you cant "throw it out" like an external in finder) - maybe OSX thinks that on a sata (real) there is no plug and play on the same port... If you unplug the iPhone of the hub is your system still running?

And for all the others co-reading: Read the whole thread (i know its long... but HarryPotter was too..) OR cleverly use the search function (up right). It is annoying if you read a question that was covered 5 pages back, and you realise that this buddy is kinda "lazy" because you realise that he did not read what was already there and he didn’t follow the guide. If you do your install in a different way as suggested, feel free to let us know your approaches and solutions, but we can not help you out by installing our systems new (like you choose) and search for bugs. It is a new branch... its is yours.

It works. The guide is on the first page. This is it. From my point of standing, i could install a working OSX with only the Info of the first page. Nothing more. The rest of the thread is kinda mistake-solving, on the first or second page is a tip about the resolution to deal with switchresx, that’s it. Read it all, it is "entertaining"and as a nubee you get a feeling how this community works. Thank you.

• Like 2

just overtaken.

Maybe he didn’t answer because he dont know how to fix?

Maybe you try another hub? What is if you connect your iPhone directly to the USB?

What was before you used the v0.4 package?

Was it working "ever"?

Other USB-stuff? Does a mouse/keyboard/harddisk/usb-dongle/fan what ever work on your USB setup? Hub or direct?

I read the whole thread now at least two times, no one has this problem. I use a USB3.0-Hub 4ports Manufactured by CSL. Works.

And as i see you are running OSX by an external, glad you have your signature up, so you cannot try to "direct-USB". It shouldn’t be a problem. This IS the problem. But and it is not covered in this thread. JahStories suggested (1st page) to install it on the internal HD. IMHO it is like your external is treatet lika an internal (you cant "throw it out" like an external in finder) - maybe OSX thinks that on a sata (real) there is no plug and play on the same port... If you unplug the iPhone of the hub is your system still running?

And for all the others co-reading: Read the whole thread (i know its long... but HarryPotter was too..) OR cleverly use the search function (up right). It is annoying if you read a question that was covered 5 pages back, and you realise that this buddy is kinda "lazy" because you realise that he did not read what was already there and he didn’t follow the guide. If you do your install in a different way as suggested, feel free to let us know your approaches and solutions, but we can not help you out by installing our systems new (like you choose) and search for bugs. It is a new branch... its is yours.

It works. The guide is on the first page. This is it. From my point of standing, i could install a working OSX with only the Info of the first page. Nothing more. The rest of the thread is kinda mistake-solving, on the first or second page is a tip about the resolution to deal with switchresx, that’s it. Read it all, it is "entertaining"and as a nubee you get a feeling how this community works. Thank you.

@caleidosCope, thanks very much for answer my question. And also sorry for the bother JahStories. I will follow the rule here.

BTW, my connections are the following:

Surface Pro 1 USB 3.0 <--------> ORICO USB hub (4 USB3.0 ports), then

One port for wireless USB mouse.

One port for external USB HDD 160GB. (Mac OSX 10.9.3 is installed)

One port for plug&unplug iPhone or Android Phone.

Just want to know, what's your usage of USB hub, where do you install your Mac OS X, on internal SSD? Ignore this question if you think it is bothering you, heh. I will read and learn more on this to see if I could fix my problem. thanks again.

Your welcome... and you bother noone!!! Just in case noone answers you again... If anyone would reply "hey dude, dunno!" the thread would EXPLODE. :ihw_pop:

And your question: yes it is on my internal. My need for the hub were backup purposes (clonezillaUSB, external keyboard, backupHD). I dont really need that much "external". For diskspace i bought a 64GB SDXC, this thingy is reachable from OSX and Win8. I use my main USB for a mouse (i have no BT mouse...) or if i need the WIFI-dongle. It is not my main working machine...but the most mobile.