[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surface2osx)

Hi guys/girls. First time posting. You've all done some amazing work, and I've used this thread to successfully install 10.9.3 to my base model Surface Pro 2 a few days ago.

I didn't first install 10.9.2 and then update; I did a straight install of 10.9.3 using the Mavericks installer downloaded from the App Store on my fully-software-updated MacBook Air. I completely replaced the Windows partition with Mavericks, instead of shrinking Windows to accommodate both. I've also installed Clover to the EFI partition on the device after getting tired of needing to insert the USB stick to boot. Things are working well, and I've only got a few problems lingering:

• Can't seem to sleep successfully. Using the sleep button on the Surface or choosing the sleep option from the Apple menu and then shortly after waking the device works normally; but if I leave it 'sleeping' for some time, it will not successfully wake after. I've seen that some other people in the thread have had this issue.
  • OS X will become unresponsive to input (mouse, keyboard, plugging in USB sticks, etc) after unplugging my USB Wi-fi (an Edimax EW-7811Un). Have also seen this mentioned in the thread.
  • I tried out the Touch-base trial driver, and they worked successfully at first; but after some time they would cause OS X to become unresponsive to input a few seconds after booting. Uninstalling the drivers from safe boot removed the issue. I think this is maybe because the trial had expired. If so, it'd be nice for the touch-base driver and the people creating it to simply stop accepting gesture/pen input instead of breaking all input...
  • Haven't been able to get the new Avastar bluetooth methods to enable bluetooth on the Surface.

The last one is the one I want to ask more about first. I've searched the thread for both "Avastar" and "bluetooth" but haven't been able to resolve it with the information provided so far.

My attempt at installing the Avastar bluetooth hardware support looked like:

1. Making sure no Avastar.kext or AvastarFwLoader.kext already existed in /System/Library/Extensions/
  2. Downloading jape's Avastar Xcode project
  3. Compiling the Xcode project and copying the built Avastar.kext and AvastarFwLoader.kext products to the desktop folder
  4. Installing AvastarFwLoader.kext and then Avastar.kext using Kext Drop.
  5. Powering off and then cold-booting the Surface.

The bluetooth preference panel didn't show up in System Preferences. I went into the Console log and observed the following relevant messages that were logged at boot time:

5/31/14 12:45:28.269 PM com.apple.kextd[12]: kext org.jape.AvastarFwLoader  100009000 is in exception list, allowing to load
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Failed to read from pipe (device is not responding)
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Failed to write to pipe (no such device)
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Failed to write to pipe (0xe000404f (UNDEFINED))
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Pipe stalled, should I reset?
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Could not send the firmware: 0xe000404f (UNDEFINED)
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Failed to write to pipe (no such device)
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Failed to write to pipe (0xe000404f (UNDEFINED))
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Pipe stalled, should I reset?
5/31/14 12:45:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Avastar WARNING: Could not send the firmware: 0xe000404f (UNDEFINED)

So from what I can tell the system seems like it's trying to load the Avastar drivers but failing along the way. I'm not quite smart enough to really parse what the log means specifically and what actions should be taken to resolve the issue. 

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Hello Popularcopy!

I would suggest you to take the pre-compiled .kext

The avastar.kext was the first try, written by jape, compiled by me.

The AvastarFwLoader.kext was the second (cleaned up)  try, compiled by jape.

Maybe you need just ONE of them... the AvastarFwLoader.kext.

• Like 1

Yes, use AvastarFwLoader.kext only. The other one that is generated when building from source is for Wi-Fi (not working).

Also, note that the Avastar is connected by USB, as are keyboard, touchpad, SD card reader, USB sticks (obviously). If you're having problems with the USB bus.....

• Like 1

So, I've done some more troubleshooting given the information provided in your replies. All booting is done without caches and with injected kexts unless stated otherwise:

1. Unloaded/deleted both Avastar.kext and AvastarFwLoader.kext from the /Library/System/Extensions; cold powered off and on afterward.
  2. Installed just AvastarFwLoader.kext using Kext Drop; cold powered off and on afterward.
  3. No bluetooth panel appeared in System Preferences; checked the console. Same messages appeared.
  4. I guessed that maybe the USB wifi stick I was using was causing some interference. Decided to cold boot without it plugged in.
  5. Boot failed with the error shown in this image: boot failure image
  6. Rebooted and chose safe boot instead. Succeeded in reaching the desktop.
  7. Unloaded/deleted AvastarFwLoader.kext from /Library/System/Extensions and cold powered off and on again. Boot failed with the same error (boot failure image).
  8. At this point I realized that jape was probably right when suggesting that I was generally having USB bus problems; I believe the boot failure was being caused not by anything Avastar related, but by not having anything plugged into the USB port.
  9. Tried booting with a USB thumbstick inserted. Boot succeeded. Tried booting again with a Xbox wireless controller dongle inserted into the USB inserted. Boot succeeded. I can plug in and unplug these while OS X is running without any interruption of operation/unresponsiveness. (Only unplugging the wifi thumbstick will cause system unresponsiveness, as noted in my first post).

Given this information, any further ideas? Maybe I have to uninstall/reinstall/reconfigure some element that I first configured when installing OS X?

Thanks for your help!

SurfacePro2OSX

Thanks for the help. Got the install to work finally with the right by copying the kexts appropriately. Seems none of the drivers for sound, ethernet and others have loaded. Used the kext drop utility and still no sound, ethernet showed up with no connection. These messages keep showing up for all the kexts.

post-1238847-0-16886800-1401687206_thumb.jpg

Sharing some wonderful free apps: RDM.app for display is best at 1280x720 hidpi. and KeyUp.app is possibly best free keyboard.

ATTENTION MUSIC PRODUCTION TYPES: What is the best multitouch TOUCHOSC style app for osx? Maybe group buy EMULATOR PRO?

• Like 1

So is 10.10 likely to be possible on the surfacepro - I am assuming so but I dont understand that level of hacking to know?

The continuity features look impressive, particularly like the idea of tethering without needing to set up a hotspot.

• Like 1

Have icloud working via nullethernet and gen'd serial....yet Appstore has errors when trying to download apps. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance! Done weeks of work to get this far. Like using it....when everything functions properly.

So is 10.10 likely to be possible on the surfacepro - I am assuming so but I dont understand that level of hacking to know?

The continuity features look impressive, particularly like the idea of tethering without needing to set up a hotspot.

... we will know if it is available, and somenone installs it.

If it runs on a MacBookAir it should run on the Surface(MacBookAir).

So I did a full uninstall/reinstall of OS X on the surface, this time completely wiping the disk/partitioning a single partition for Macintosh HD. I also installed Clover to the system EFI partition successfully, and the Surface boots as it should without anything plugged into the USB port, which was previously causing issues.

But I'm still getting the same console errors with respect to Avastar. For what it's worth:

• Shortly after getting to the desktop for the first time, I installed AvastarFwLoader.kext using Kext Drop. Bluetooth appeared in System Preferences a bit later.
  • I later rebooted, and the Bluetooth pane has not reappeared since.
  • I'm also periodically getting "IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device."

Are there any specific kexts I should look into reinstalling or any reconfiguration I should consider re-doing?

So I did a full uninstall/reinstall of OS X on the surface, this time completely wiping the disk/partitioning a single partition for Macintosh HD. I also installed Clover to the system EFI partition successfully, and the Surface boots as it should without anything plugged into the USB port, which was previously causing issues.

But I'm still getting the same console errors with respect to Avastar. For what it's worth:

• Shortly after getting to the desktop for the first time, I installed AvastarFwLoader.kext using Kext Drop. Bluetooth appeared in System Preferences a bit later.
  • I later rebooted, and the Bluetooth pane has not reappeared since.
  • I'm also periodically getting "IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device."

Are there any specific kexts I should look into reinstalling or any reconfiguration I should consider re-doing?

My experience with was that neither BT nor the dock ethernet would come up if the SP2 was booted in the dock.  If I booted outside the dock, waited until BT enumerated, then stuck it back in the dock and slapped its ears shut, all was well.

Are you referring to the surface dock that Microsoft sells, or the type cover? I only have a type cover. I am booting using the type cover to select the boot options from clover..

When it failed to enumerate for you, did you witness the same console logs as me with regard to the Avastar? ("Avastar WARNING: failed to read from pipe..." etc etc, documented in my first post)

Are you referring to the surface dock that Microsoft sells, or the type cover? I only have a type cover. I am booting using the type cover to select the boot options from clover..

When it failed to enumerate for you, did you witness the same console logs as me with regard to the Avastar? ("Avastar WARNING: failed to read from pipe..." etc etc, documented in my first post)

I'm referring to the surface dock, not the type cover.   I, too, saw the same log messages about not being able to read/write the pipe.  For me, the secret was to boot outside the dock and wait for 30 - 40 seconds for BT to enumerate.  Also, I have a type cover 2 (with backlighting) and never remove it.  Hope that helps.

I tried unplugging all USB devices at boot, save for the type cover. I used the type cover to select the appropriate boot option (without caches with injected kexts) and then immediately unplugged it for the rest of the boot sequenced. Issue presented itself the same way. Very strange.

The only thing I can think of that changed between when it first worked and when it stopped working is that I might have accidentally booted normally without choosing [without caches/with injected kexts]. Could that have caused some irreversible damage to my installation?

As well, I've installed the GenericUSBXHCI kext. Is that recommended?

Lastly, could someone with a working Avastar installation post what their USB Device Tree looks like in System Report? Mine looks like this: USB Device Tree

Lastly, could someone with a working Avastar installation post what their USB Device Tree looks like in System Report? Mine looks like this: USB Device Tree

See attached.

On an unrelated note, also on attached screenshot you can see some of the visual corruption that appears on my SFPro2 sometimes... (see dock).

post-33622-0-68423400-1402061513_thumb.png