[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

The firmware updates won't break anything, at least on a regular desktop/laptop hackintosh: they will simply not to be really installed and will keep showing up: I used to have a TB update popping up in the Appstore, and it would keep on doing so, regardless how many times i'd "install" it. You can simply right-click the firmware update and hide it if it bothers you.

Hi SurfacePro users, i need some honest hints & information.

My internal SSD (64gb) makes high frequent noises i can truly
hear when using the machine on the table. Even more if i hold
it like a tablet. Since i didn't notice it on a Surface2, i really do
wonder if that is normal and a tribute to the SurfacePro more
advanced tech specs in a small enclosure. I can't say it does
distract, i just have an ear to that and it starts to get annoying.

Whatever, could anybody confirm some SSD sound of the SP?
(or did i just buy a funky number?)

Thanks/Regards.

UPDATE:

It's not the cooling fans, these are silent and not high frequent.

Since i'm no technician i'll describe the noise more like an un-

steady "frizzle" on CPU load/on SSD load. Since it's unsteady

it attracts my attention even from a distance. An easy solution

could be just playing music while using the machine,but I think

about returning the hardware. I just wanted to ask around etc.

SOLUTION: (it seems the case on other surfaces /Win only!)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro-surfusingpro/high-pitched-very-disturbing-noise-off-my-surface/c8b85adb-2316-4d8d-871d-4100f3022bc3

It's about the CPU and can be solved by disable idle on it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/292915-30-high-pitched-noise-coming-area

(1. Execute: "regedit" ..and onwards of the thread)

Some interesting details: The SP fans do switch off on 80%

cpu load (see info/link above) and running the SP with 60%

CPU load resulted in speed (browser-vise) of an iPad4. I did

a Chrome browsermark (ca. 3100 on SP and ca. 2800/iPad4,

also ca. 2600 in IE on SP and ca. 2800 in Safari on the Pad)

The high pitched sound went away,fans are silent but battery

unloads quicker. I can work with that, but that's all Windows.

Hi SurfacePro users, i need some honest hints or information.

My internal SSD (64gb) makes high frequent noises i can truly

hear when using the machine on the table. Even more if i hold

it like a tablet. Since i didn't notice it on a Surface2, i really do

wonder if that is normal and a tribute to the SurfacePro more

advanced tech specs in a small enclosure. I can't say it does

distract, i just have an ear to that and it starts to get annoying.

Whatever, could anybody confirm some SSD sound of the SP?

(or did i just buy a funky number?)

Thanks/Regards.

Well I kinda doubt it's the SSD making sounds... could you possibly be hearing the cooling fans?? The surface2/surfaceRT I dont believe have fans to cool it down.  But the surface pro/surface pro 2 do.  The SSD is like a USB thumb drive, cant really make any noise.  :-)

(surfaceosx)

I have a very strange problem with an external monitor. If I use a mini displayport->VGA adapter the monitor every 2-3 minutes loses its signal for a few seconds. My surface is dual boot. This does not happen when I boot into windows.

The adapter works fine with my macbook.

I have also tried a mini displayport-> displayport cable on the surface since my other monitor has  displayport input and it works fine even under OS X. Strange... :unsure: Surface seems not to like the displayport->VGA adapter. Any suggestions?

@floflood

As minimojo said it cant be the drive, SSD means Solid State Drive and that, means no moving parts, so it can't make any noise, the only thing that is actually moving inside our surfaces is the fan.

Maybe there is a problem with it.

@axaios

OSX itself seems to don't support well any VGA connection on new official machines.

@macray

Try to write in the clover topic, i had problems on getting the sd card recognized everytime, could be a bug...

@exige 

You should just to keep on trying to generate a serial recognized by apple.

(surfaceosx)

Is there any way to enable touch, stylus or even volume buttons on clover? I always have to connect a usb device to select OS.

i did the same question some time ago on the official clover topic, but someone answered that was still a bit early for clover to support such features...

Just in order to help others that run into the same issue, as a workaround you can setup clover to boot automatically to one of the OSes. That way you won't be stuck on the boot screen. After following the guide and using the supplied config.plist clover was set up to timeout after 5 seconds. However the boot partition name in config.plist was wrong so the timeout never happened. I had to set it to "SYSTEM".

• Like 1

Just in order to help others that run into the same issue, as a workaround you can setup clover to boot automatically to one of the OSes. That way you won't be stuck on the boot screen. After following the guide and using the supplied config.plist clover was set up to timeout after 5 seconds. However the boot partition name in config.plist was wrong so the timeout never happened. I had to set it to "SYSTEM".

Wanted to say a quick thanks, this really helped me!

@axaois

that's one of the most obvious thing to do, i was doing that since day 1, but its not a solution to the question you asked...

without keyboard or mouse you'll be stuck booting only the os you selected.

nothing new. :/

I've been fiddling with this all day, and it works, right up until you try to install v0.3.  Either they didn't list a step or it's just broken, but v0.3 breaks the boot process every time for me, leaving me hung on the bluetooth error.  I have even attempted the fix several times by going into safe mode, restoring the 5x kext, etc, and that still doesn't work.  

I have, however, gotten Clover installed as my boot loader by following this method;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293574-beginners-guide-to-uefi-tripledual-boot-os-x-windows-and-linux-kali-on-an-single-true-gpt-ssd/?p=1968818

However, I had to do it from Windows, not OSX, as OSX would not see the usb key after I had booted off it.  To view the EFI partition from windows, just run cmd as administrator, and run "mountvol b: /s".  Work within that command prompt to copy the proper efi files from your usb key to the efi partition.

So, I now have a nice dual boot setup without the need to boot off the USB key, but the ACPI backlight and sleep do not work, as I cannot for the life of me get booted after I do the V0.3 steps.

Perhaps somebody else could write up how they managed to get v0.3 working step by step?

Oh the surface pro 2 works so well with the 27" Cinema Display. You rock JS. The 3 usbs at the back of the monitor are perfect for ethernet+bluetooth+razar mouse

(PS JS, I know you hate images cause it clutters the thread but brah, I cant stop myself from sharing the setup)

cinema_zpsaf5e8f9e.jpg

• Like 3

Oh god that's really great !!

should work on 27" iMacs too!

btw the gorgeous apple screen is really really really expansive :/

p.s.

i'm noticing that something is copycatted (the surface pro front bezel is almost identical to the apple screen one :') , the only thing that change, is the logo! hahha ;)

@louddog

please use the badges as described on the first post so we can identify which version of the SurfacePro you are using.

• Like 2

be sure to install all the provided kexts using kextdrop, the v0.3 works perfect. And i suggest you to update to 10.9.2 too.

Good luck.

P.s.

the signature is OK, but i was talking about the badges to apply on the top of the post,

one of these:
 (surfaceosx) (surface2osx) (surfacewin) (surface2win) (androsurface) (androsurface2)

Thanks

be sure to install all the provided kexts using kextdrop, the v0.3 works perfect. And i suggest you to update to 10.9.2 too.

Good luck.

P.s.

the signature is OK, but i was talking about the badges to apply on the top of the post,

one of these:
 (surfaceosx) (surface2osx) (surfacewin) (surface2win) (androsurface) (androsurface2)

Thanks

I'm obviously missing something, because the boot process gets stuck every time I do exactly as you just stated.  So, for specifics, this is where I am now;

DSDT/SSDT from "Patched Tables Surface Pro 1" zip in /efi/clover/acpi/patched

5 Kexts from "surfacepro" zip in /S/L/E, installed with kextdrop

config.plist from surfacepro.zip in /efi/clover

When I attempt to go to v0.3 I follow the steps on the first page to the T, but I end up having to reinstall every time.  SO, what am I missing?

as i said, the files are ok me and a lot of other people are using it, don't know exactly whats causing yours issues, i suggest you to start from scratch following the guide step by step with a clean installation and read the whole thread, you'll surely find a solution.

I'm obviously missing something, because the boot process gets stuck every time I do exactly as you just stated.  So, for specifics, this is where I am now;

DSDT/SSDT from "Patched Tables Surface Pro 1" zip in /efi/clover/acpi/patched

5 Kexts from "surfacepro" zip in /S/L/E, installed with kextdrop

config.plist from surfacepro.zip in /efi/clover

When I attempt to go to v0.3 I follow the steps on the first page to the T, but I end up having to reinstall every time.  SO, what am I missing?

Hi. Why do you have to reinstall? Can you still boot with your OSX-install-stick (without caches and with injected kexts)?

..."to the T"... what do you mean?

as i said, the files are ok me and a lot of other people are using it, don't know exactly whats causing yours issues, i suggest you to start from scratch following the guide step by step with a clean installation and read the whole thread, you'll surely find a solution.

I have, several times.  Can you tell me exactly which files you're using?  Which config.plist, dsdt, ssdt, kexts, etc?

Hi. Why do you have to reinstall? Can you still boot with your OSX-install-stick (without caches and with injected kexts)?

No, when I update to 0.3 and start getting the bluetooth hang on boot, the only thing I can do is get into safemode.  From there I followed the fix listed earlier in this thread for the bluetooth hang, but even that doesnt work.  So I have to reinstall.

I have, several times.  Can you tell me exactly which files you're using?  Which config.plist, dsdt, ssdt, kexts, etc?

No, when I update to 0.3 and start getting the bluetooth hang on boot, the only thing I can do is get into safemode.  From there I followed the fix listed earlier in this thread for the bluetooth hang, but even that doesnt work.  So I have to reinstall.

So, while in safemode, did you try to install ALL kexts again (with kextdrop...or other) ... and maybe repair permissions?

and your "other Problem":

we have:

v0.2/a includes:

- ACPIBatteryManager -need it

- AppleHDADisabler -need it

- fakesmc -need it

- genericusbxhci -need it

- VodooHDA-need it

+ dsdt and ssdt (need for stick - and "start system"

v0.2/b includes:

dsdt and ssdt (overwrite both) -need it   in Efi-Clover-acpi-patched

v0.3 (filename: SurfacePro1V0.2.5) includes:

- ACPIBacklight -need it

- AppleACPIPlatform -need it

- + dsdt -need it / overwrite the "last one"

- the config.plist in here is needed, but for proper running needs to be "personalized"

- And at last AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext -need it

(last time i encountered problems i dropped all 8 Kexts after safe-boot in kextdrop...)

This is how my system is up and running fine... except my old odd "slow/fast boot" ... yes, it is still happening - i did not fix it. But it doesn’t bother right now :D / actually the boot is consistently FAST but sometimes breaks the sound on startup - but...boot again, fine)

BTW: what clover-version are you using?

• Like 1

Awesome post.  Maybe the one thing I am missing is the personalizing config.plist.  Do you just mean adding a serial number with clover configurator or is there more to it?

So, while in safemode, did you try to install ALL kexts again (with kextdrop...or other) ... and maybe repair permissions?

and your "other Problem":

we have:

v0.2/a includes:

- ACPIBatteryManager -need it

- AppleHDADisabler -need it

- fakesmc -need it

- genericusbxhci -need it

- VodooHDA-need it

+ dsdt and ssdt (need for stick - and "start system"

v0.2/b includes:

dsdt and ssdt (overwrite both) -need it   in Efi-Clover-acpi-patched

v0.3 (filename: SurfacePro1V0.2.5) includes:

- ACPIBacklight -need it

- AppleACPIPlatform -need it

- + dsdt -need it / overwrite the "last one"

- the config.plist in here is needed, but for proper running needs to be "personalized"

- And at last AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext -need it

This is how my system is up and running fine... except my old odd "slow/fast boot" ... yes, it is still happening - i did not fix it. But it doesn’t bother right now :D / actually the boot is consistently FAST but sometimes breaks the sound - but again, fine)