[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

I did install 10.9.1 but used all the files I found in the first post. I did also make the dart=0 argument. So which ones should I be using for installing 10.9.1?

I think my wife might have 10.9.2 on her iMac still. I used an old 2009 Macbook for 10.9.1. I'll just redo everything tonight.

I did install 10.9.1 but used all the files I found in the first post. I did also make the dart=0 argument. So which ones should I be using for installing 10.9.1?

I think my wife might have 10.9.2 on her iMac still. I used an old 2009 Macbook for 10.9.1. I'll just redo everything tonight.

Ah I bet you that's why! For 10.9.1 you should use FilesPackageV0.3. But I recommend you to better to install 10.9.2, in that case you should use: FilesPackage V0.3 10.9.2 compatible

Good luck!!

@JahStories

Just an opinion: I think you should update and replace "Files Package V0.3 10.9.2 compatible" to "Files Package V0.3 for 10.9.2" and uncomment the previous one and rename it to "Files Package V0.3 for 10.9.1", because the mach_kernel and other changes... ?

is already like you said

look:

FilesPackageV0.3 10.9.1 OLD

FilesPackage V0.3 10.9.2 compatible

Awesome! :thumbsup_anim:

But If you aloud me another suggestion?, the 10.9.2 is not compatible with, "it is" for 10.9.2! 

(Btw, I love your profile image! I saw that screen 1000000000 times in my life! I was an Amiga user for years! also Commodore 64 before that!)   :D

the good old times eh? :) i'm a big monkey island fan too, four 720kb floppys of pure awesomeness

edit:

FilesPackageV0.3 for 10.9.1 OLD

FilesPackage V0.3 for 10.9.2 

Oh yeah!!! :D 

I have an old Mac Mini G4 (PowerPC) 1.2ghz and I been thinking about install Amiga OS for Mac Mini, heard about it? The Mac Mini version is very old, it was more like a "test" but they say Amiga programs/games works (natively)...

The same guys been updating Amiga OS for the AmigaOne X1000 and a couple of other hardware they are producing, but these are super expensive, and I don't think if it worth the investment....

Anyway, at some point when I have time I want test this, let's see... :)

(SurfacePro2OSX)

So it lives!!! I redid the USB for 10.9.1 and I'm typing this from my OSX infused Surface Pro 2. I still need to figure out how to get audio working (don't know how to access system), not sure if bluetooth is supposed to work or not, I can't seem to sign into Facetime and iMessage (thought I saw something in the thread saying I had to plug into my router), and I don't know how to dual boot without using the USB drive.. In any case I'm going to keep trying, and I'm currently reading through the thread to see if I missed something.

Thanks again.

*EDIT*

So Audio is now working and I found that bluetooth will not work since its on the wifi card.

Two questions I still need help with.

1. How can I get the Clover boot screen without having the USB drive in the computer? They way I currently have it setup is Windows 8.1 140GB and OSX with 30GB).

2. How do I get Facetime, iMessage, and iCloud to register properly?

In both cases, can you please explain it as if you were explaining it to a 6 year old.

Thanks.

Ans to Q1: Booting into Clover directly from SSD instead of using USB everytime

• First ensure that you had formatted your SSD partition in GUID mode, or else Clover will fail to install. Install Clover directly to the SSD, the same way you installed it on your usb but instead this time on your OSX drive. 
  • Follow it up with installing "Clover Configurator" which would allow you to access the hidden EFI folder in your SSD, copy the patched files just like the ones you did on your USB to the folders on the now unhidden EFI folder (put them in the correct folders config file/aml files/etc.).
  • You can now edit the config file inside the EFI folder to make changes such as changing the Volume Name it should start in (it is good to fix it or else clover will not automatically boot into your OSX drive, I named my osx volume, "OSX" so I changed the Volume Name to OSX too)/Time Out (how long it should wait in clover screen before booting into OSX/Themes/etc).
  • Now try restarting without having USB inserted, hopefully it should directly boot into Clover

Ans to Q2: To get iCloud/AppStore to work on Surface Pro 2 (should be the same for SP1)

Firstly let me confess I couldnt manage to get imessage/facetime to work, nor did I put my time into trying as I dont use these services on my SP2.

• Step 1, you will need to download Nullethernet (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-null-ethernet/downloads/RehabMan-NullEthernet-2014-0123.zip)
  • Go into Clover Configurator>SMBIOS>Generate a new Serial Number, copy paste the number into your customer config file inside the EFI folder, Do not make CloverConfigarator save it or else it will ruin your existing config file.
  • Delete all existing wifi/ethernet preferences you have setup on your network plane (in system preferences)
  • Install both the Nullethernetinjector.kext and Nullethernet.kext ( which is located inside the "release" folder of the zip file) from the downloaded zip using any kextinstaller such as the one you used to fix your audio I presume
  • Delete existing "networkinterfaces.plist" from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder. Restart, boot without cache with injectors or whatever in clover.
  • Now to go network preferences, it should setup a new ethernet which says self-assigned and has an orange dot beside it, if not just add a new ethernet (with the + sign) and keep the details blank, hit apply, see if that becomes orange with self-assigned written underneath it.
  • Then plug in/install your own wifi/ethernet device. Hopefully after you now log into the internet, you should be able to use AppStore and iCloud services. You might even get lucky with your iMessage/Facetime.

Hope this works for you, its all about googling and combining what others have said and not to mention so many trial and errors! Atleast it feels awesome when you finally get it to work.

(SurfacePro2OSX)

So it lives!!! I redid the USB for 10.9.1 and I'm typing this from my OSX infused Surface Pro 2. I still need to figure out how to get audio working (don't know how to access system), not sure if bluetooth is supposed to work or not, I can't seem to sign into Facetime and iMessage (thought I saw something in the thread saying I had to plug into my router), and I don't know how to dual boot without using the USB drive.. In any case I'm going to keep trying, and I'm currently reading through the thread to see if I missed something.

Thanks again.

*EDIT*

So Audio is now working and I found that bluetooth will not work since its on the wifi card.

1. How can I get the Clover boot screen without having the USB drive in the computer? They way I currently have it setup is Windows 8.1 140GB and OSX with 30GB).

In both cases, can you please explain it as if you were explaining it to a 6 year old.

Thanks.

• Like 1

(SurfacePro2OSX)

Thanks again.

*EDIT*

Thanks.

Q2. I just used kext drop which you probably already used and is installed, to install nullethernet.kext

I used clover config to generate the serial No, choose the serial option only, then save with clover config, then only the serial will be changed and the rest of the config file will be unchanged.

You should check your new generated serial with apple to see if it gets accepted before you change anything.

Thanks for that great Howto.

I had trouble with the permissions on the USB Key:

dubious ownership on file /system/library/launchdaemons

could fix it with:

vsdbutil -a /Volumes/yourinstallervolume

chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/yourinstallervolume

But now I'm stuck at the Mavericks account setup because my surface has a broken type cover connector. Seems like Mavericks setup doesn't support USB Keyboards.

Clover does.

Is there any way to enable USB Keyboards in Mavericks?

Found the solution now: the USB keyboard was connected via a USB 2.0 Hub. Using a USB 3 Hub it works! Running mavericks on my surface now, tada!

Edited by bjsurf

(surfaceosx)

Hi there,

I have attempted to follow this proceedure about 8 times now with no success.  I can boot into Clover but when I attempt to boot the OS or the installer, the closest I have made it was with a OS 10.9.1 image and I am not sure how I did it but, it did appear to do the install of the OS ok but, when I attempted to boot without caches and injected kext into the OS, I got a Bluetooth driver error.  Then I tried 10.9.2 and 10.9.  Now, everytime I attempt to boot without caches and injected kext into the installer, I get the following error:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

Using reloc block: yes, hibernate wake: no

efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1D|0)/Usb(1,0)/Usb2, 0)HD(Part2,SigE7516B44-1b0c-4c00-9A24-BA218B516042)

boot file path: System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

..Loading "mach_kernal"

Error loading kernel "mach_kernel" (0xe)

Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

Then it freezes there.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing incorrectly?  I just want to get this working.  Not sure if I am missing a step or what.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-s*

(surfaceosx)

Hi there,

I have attempted to follow this proceedure about 8 times now with no success.  I can boot into Clover but when I attempt to boot the OS or the installer, the closest I have made it was with a OS 10.9.1 image and I am not sure how I did it but, it did appear to do the install of the OS ok but, when I attempted to boot without caches and injected kext into the OS, I got a Bluetooth driver error.  Then I tried 10.9.2 and 10.9.  Now, everytime I attempt to boot without caches and injected kext into the installer, I get the following error:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

Using reloc block: yes, hibernate wake: no

efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1D|0)/Usb(1,0)/Usb2, 0)HD(Part2,SigE7516B44-1b0c-4c00-9A24-BA218B516042)

boot file path: System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

..Loading "mach_kernal"

Error loading kernel "mach_kernel" (0xe)

Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

Then it freezes there.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing incorrectly?  I just want to get this working.  Not sure if I am missing a step or what.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-s*

Hmmm, looks like you didn't copy the patched mach_kernel to the installed os x, or it got deleted somehow??... You should boot with your installation pendrive like, then open the terminal and copy the mach_kernel from your pendrive to the installed OS; this step is listed, try that?. Also, make sure you're using the right kexts and mach_kernel for your installed version (10.9.1 needs the 10.9.1 mach kernel and kext, same thing applies to the 10.9.2).... 

These are the files needed for a v0.3 installion on the first gen of the surface pro:

V 0.2 This Included Surfacepro kext and utilities pack

APP EFIMOUNTER (mounts the efi partition)

System Kexts (install both these and the one provided on the v0.3 pack)

DSDT Files (Old, use New)

V 0.2 New Patched Tables *dsdt*ssdt* (better power management, more states and patched to use rehabman's "magic" Nullethernet kext [Appstore access])

DSDT Files (New, use these tables)

V 0.3 Link+ patched extra kext

AppleIntelFramebuffercapri Kext (fix dual screen support)

APP KEXTDROP (Needed to Clean install kexts)

System Kexts 

(download both v 0.2 files & v 0.3 files)

There is no need for a patched kernel the only time you have to see the kernel is when preparing the usb stick extracting it with pacifist.

On the first gen we have been using, and are actually using the official kernel from apple, it's copied during the regular osx installation.

(surfaceosx)

Thanks for that JahStories.  

Now I managed to get 10.9.2 to install but, the first time I attempt to boot the Mavericks partition without caches and injected kext, I freeze at the following spot during boot:

**** [iOBluetoothHCIController][searchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

This was the same with 10.9.1.  The only thing different that I did from your last message was I used the DSDT file in the version 3 package.  Could this have caused the issue?  I am not sure what else to try.

I appreciate your help,

Thanks,

-s*

• Like 1

(Surface Pro 2 i5 4300)

I installed 10.9.1 on a separate partition multiple times. While most things seem to work, the system is very slow. Each time I try and open a program eg. Finder, Safari, etc., I get the multicolored spinning timer. It takes 30s to open program. I have tried multiple USB sticks with same result.

I recently downloaded 10.9.2 and installed that - Same result. I then formatted the whole SSD and installed only OS X, but this has not improved things. I have read some have OS X booting in 10s also. I have never had the Surface boot in under a minute.

Started in safe mode - still slow.

Don't know if it's related, but the only error I see on boot is:

FakeSMC: [Error] failed to obtain OEM vendor and product information.

Does anyone have any ideas?

@scartattack

U can try to use pacifist to extract mach_kernel from maverick's installation image  /OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg to the root of your drive.

@MetalFishX

the touch drivers on the first gen uses 2.5% idle to 5% when doing gestures of the cpu, no more. (i'm using latest alpha updd gestures and latest driver with pressure, eraser and proximity)

(surfaceosx)

Thanks for that JahStories.  

Now I managed to get 10.9.2 to install but, the first time I attempt to boot the Mavericks partition without caches and injected kext, I freeze at the following spot during boot:

**** [iOBluetoothHCIController][searchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

This was the same with 10.9.1.  The only thing different that I did from your last message was I used the DSDT file in the version 3 package.  Could this have caused the issue?  I am not sure what else to try.

I appreciate your help,

Thanks,

-s*

I had that problem till I used 0x1660009 (compared to 0x0000000) as the graphics injector (use the mouse to select the icon, where you can find a list of options (not space)).

However, the Intel GPU will not be identified properly (no QE/CI). I'm not sure how to boot without that injector yet.

(Surface2OSX)

I can't seem to install Clover on the SSD. Reading through the thread, it's said one needs to have a GUID partition, not a MBR hybrid. I'm not really sure if I'm facing that problem. I followed the guide from the 1st post, so it is not a full format of the entire drive (Windows still exists).

http://imgur.com/Ex2TyGW

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1: DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC               356.5 MB   disk0s1
   2:                        EFI SYSTEM                  209.7 MB   disk0s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 89.8 GB    disk0s4
   5:                  Apple_HFS OSX                     31.3 GB    disk0s5
   6: DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC               6.1 GB     disk0s6

Trying to mount the disk0s2 with

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/efi

just gets a Resource busy response.

(surfaceosx)

wait... so for surface pro 1, normally we would NOT need to extract the mach_kernal with pacifist?  I've been extracting every time because it is in the instructions.  Just looking for some clarification.

Thank you,

don't get confused, 

1°gen uses mach_kernel from the original mavirick installation only when preparing the usb pen drive, then is copied by default installer during regular installation.

2°gen uses modded mach_kernel made or modded by the community and have to be copied in the pen drive installer and after the installation to the local drive.

@cktalion

format the whole drive to guid using disk utility then install osx and if needed install windows 8.1 pro using bootcamp.