Ozmosis

xpamamadeus
6,231 posts in this topic

there isn no logic to them, they are just a case to slide drives into that connect to the SATA ports inside. (connect power and SATA cord too the back of a jumper block, drive mates with the front of it)

with ver 894 bcfg lists this as an option, even without the hide entries flag enabled.

01. PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0x0)/HD(3,GPT,1dea13a5-d38e-4899-8f2c-02d2359f1d43,0x1d185948,0x40000)/\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "Boot OS X"

in 1479 I don't have any entries for anything related to .EFI  (I know from experience that this is the boot loader for the fusion drive.)

is there a flag to force 1479 to scan for .EFI's 

HBP

It was not showing up for him either try the command you just might have a new experience alternatively try something like this in the shell with bcfg.

bcfg boot add ? fs2:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "Boot OS X"

Replace the ? with a number I usually go with the one after the last in the bcfg boot dump listing. I just mounted my Raid 0 Boot OS X partition on my main install and it is identical to what you have so hopefully should work.

MacUser2525:~$ mkdir /tmp/efi
MacUser2525:~$ sudo mount -t hfs /dev/disk0s3 /tmp/efi
MacUser2525:~$ ls -l /tmp/efi/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   494K 21 Sep 14:51 /tmp/efi/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

IOPlatformUUID/Hardware UUID is set by the HardwareSignature variable and ROM would be HardwareAddress under Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102

After splitting up my fusion drive everything runs smoothly - BTW: big thanks to HermitCrabs et al (besides that fusion thing  ;) )

BUT I still cannot change my IOPlatformUUID to the value given in HardwareSignature.

Setting HardwareSignature in Defaults.plist works fine and bdmesg shows the correct result

<key>HardwareSignature</key>

<string>12XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXX34</string>

02:263 00:000 Setting DataHub 64517CC8-6561-4051-B03C-5964B60F4C7A:system-id = 12 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX 34  16 bytes - Success

But, IOPlatformUUID shows something complete different.

Any ideas?

you dont need to flash the bios every time you make a change

Defaults.plist is read from /Efi/Oz

TBH only things worth having in the bios are any EFI drivers, everything else is better to be located on ESP since it changes more often.

Ha, what is the sense in this case to make "ROM resident bootloader" if you read files from ESP? rolleyes.gif

Hi,

You are able to adjust your system, after you get something ready you flash and forget that it exist ! ;)

Fred

A progress never stopped. You never will have final solution to flash into ROM forever. Moreover hardware tends to get old.

As well. I install Clover to ESP and forget about.

A progress never stopped. You never will have final solution to flash into ROM forever. Moreover hardware tends to get old.

I have final solution for my hardware. But i agree with you for people who often change their system.

Fred

Ha, what is the sense in this case to make "ROM resident bootloader" if you read files from ESP? attachicon.gifrolleyes.gif

Fast developing.

AOS users will not agree with you, plus the one who have brain enough to read and configure own BIOS, and they are not few.

You should try for yourself you will be amazed by boot speed compared with clover, that is something you cannot forget ;)

• Like 4

BUT I still cannot change my IOPlatformUUID to the value given in HardwareSignature.

../snip/..

But, IOPlatformUUID shows something complete different.

Any ideas?

You need to enter the same value as you would use for Chameleon's SystemId boot option, or Clover's CustomUUID setting combined with InjectSystemID=true setting. 

So for example, for Chameleon I have in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist
<key>SystemId</key>
<string>00ABCDEF-ABCD-0101-07D0-A4700CC3FF09</string>

For Clover, I have in my config.plist
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
   <key>InjectSystemID</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
</dict>

I then use the same code in Ozmosis Defaults.plist
<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
<dict>
<key>HardwareSignature</key>
</dict>

bdmesg directly after Ozmosis nvram reset (Cmd+Alt+P+R) shows
00:157 00:001 Setting NV+RT+BS 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:HardwareSignature = "00ABCDEF-ABCD-0101-07D0-A4700CC3FF09" 36 bytes - Success

In OS X, my IOPlatformUUID/Hardware UUID shows the same calculated value regardless of method used to boot.
  • Like 1

ok, update on my issue with 1479, it only freaks out for Yosemite. I can get it to reliably boot my windows 7, 8, 8,1 and server installs, as well as the install from my Fusion drive after the initial point it @ the boot.efi file and (select boot disk from menu in osx)  but the minute I put my USB3 Yosemite install in, or my SATA Yosemite install in the boot loader Freaks out and freezes, also the computer shut down after a hot swap of Yosemite into the bay (done it many times with 894)

any Ideas?

HBP

Ha, what is the sense in this case to make "ROM resident bootloader" if you read files from ESP? attachicon.gifrolleyes.gif

You've already made it known that flashing isn't something you would want to do and that you disagreed with using a loader for ROM, so do you even really care to have this question answered?

Most people only see Oz as a loader ripped from Quo bios and even with recommendations to take full advantage of using it from ESP people still insist on doing everything from bios. Oz doesn't' need to be a "ROM resident bootloader". One day Ozmosis will be standalone boot manager with regular releases for everyone. When updates are available a user can load that updated Ozmosis file from ESP without any need to re-edit their bios.

Added file system drivers are a benefit to all users and should be a welcome addition to any bios. Would your willingness to use Ozmosis change if it was reading fs drivers from an ESP /drivers folder like Clover? Do you not agree that its an advantage to have these drivers at bios level? 

I feel you would have an argument for any answer given and as creator of Clover its understandable to be prejudice. Clover has become out of control imho and for such an intelligent man I'm surprised you haven't seen this too. That is the main reason I switched to Oz and I've found that I agree with its philosophies more than I do with those of Clover. I hope you do try Oz sometime and at least get a genuine opinion of it instead of a peanut gallery outlook.

Ozmosis history is much deeper than the introduction of the QUO board and is derived from one of the first .efi loaders introduced to this community. I have great admiration for its creator and developers, all great guys that I have been privileged to know for many years.

Who are the creators of Ozmosis?

I confess I lost track of the development, since I - quite unfortunately by the way! - missed the opportunity of buying myself a QUO board, and have a quite stable Gigabyte hack, with Clover now because of Yosemite. Always thought Ozmosis was a custom BIOS, the one made for the QUO board. For what I read in the last few pages, I was rather misguided. I have some questions, then, and I'll welcome any answers for them that don't follow the "R.T.F. topic" line. Here are them:

1) So it's not only for QUO. Then can it be flashed on any UEFI board, even my H77-DS3H?

2) If possible, and as long as Ozmosis is correctly installed/flashed, will my computer be able to boot vanilla OS X HDDs, without Clover or whatever OSX86 boot loaders?

3) What is really Ozmosis? A BIOS that needs to be flashed into my board, replacing the stock one? An EFI resource like Clover or XPC that thus can be installed on my HDD and be used alongside my board without reflashing? Both?

4) What the practical advantages (not the theoretical and potential, but the ones that reflect directly on the current user experience) of using Ozmosis over Clover?

5) Clover is undergoing very active development, with a team of developers led by Slice, resulting on almost daily updates and bug fixes (and the creation of other bugs, according to some). Has Ozmosis the same active development and fast support? I know, OSX86 is all about hackers and hacking, but the Clover experience these months has really got me spoiled. :)

6) Assuming that I do the switch, how do I start? Just download, follow instructions, install/flash, done?

All the best!

• Like 1

Who are the creators of Ozmosis?

I confess I lost track of the development, since I - quite unfortunately by the way! - missed the opportunity of buying myself a QUO board, and have a quite stable Gigabyte hack, with Clover now because of Yosemite. Always thought Ozmosis was a custom BIOS, the one made for the QUO board. For what I read in the last few pages, I was rather misguided. I have some questions, then, and I'll welcome any answers for them that don't follow the "R.T.F. topic" line. Here are them:

1) So it's not only for QUO. Then can it be flashed on any UEFI board, even my H77-DS3H?

2) If possible, and as long as Ozmosis is correctly installed/flashed, will my computer be able to boot vanilla OS X HDDs, without Clover or whatever OSX86 boot loaders?

3) What is really Ozmosis? A BIOS that needs to be flashed into my board, replacing the stock one? An EFI resource like Clover or XPC that thus can be installed on my HDD and be used alongside my board without reflashing? Both?

4) What the practical advantages (not the theoretical and potential, but the ones that reflect directly on the current user experience) of using Ozmosis over Clover?

5) Clover is undergoing very active development, with a team of developers led by Slice, resulting on almost daily updates and bug fixes (and the creation of other bugs, according to some). Has Ozmosis the same active development and fast support? I know, OSX86 is all about hackers and hacking, but the Clover experience these months has really got me spoiled. :)

6) Assuming that I do the switch, how do I start? Just download, follow instructions, install/flash, done?

All the best!

first question, who created it, HermitCrab Labs.

1) Any board that has UEFI based bios can be updated with Oz, however there is a caveat if you don't have a backup bios, dual bios chip system there is a chance of bricking your board if your not careful.

2) with Oz installed your system will boot and install osx just like a normal Mac, if you customize your defaults file, then you don't need to worry about if they stick or not.

3) Oz is an EFI extension that is Added to your bios (hence the reason you have to have a EFI bios to make it work) that wince it is applied will allow your system to natively boot OSX just like it was windows or linux.

4) my experience with version 894m, boot time 12 seconds, vs 35 with clover, sleep/wake/restart/shutdown all work but clover they didn't. allows you to not have to worry about updating boot loaders, because if the disk crashes the boot loader is still intact, you just reboot and continue.

5)HermitCrab Labs is a closed project, however, before the latest revision 1479 the boot loader ran flawlessly and allowed you to use FakeSMC and it's various updates and plugins.

6) multiple different approches... do you want a precompiled BIOS that has already been verified (open nvram etc) then you can go to hackintosh-forum.de to their Ozmosis-UEFI firmware database. then use kext2ffs and OZMTool to update the OzmosisDefaults.plist you can use the listed tools to update just the listed plist, without needing anything else.

if you would like more assistance information your welcome to PM me or ask on the board, the tools are ether on the board here, next level up.

HBP

The guys behind Oz have chosen to stay anonymous so its up to them to come forward.. :D

1) Oz is for anyone with UEFI pretty much.

2) Oz loads anything you want just like clover does

3) Oz is a driver loaded into bios; either by being placed in actual firmware or being installed to drivers list of you bios form file (.efi) with bcfg tool from shell. Oz is doing its loading with help from file system drivers located in uefi firmware ( these are what needs to be flashed ) Ozmosis is intended to function like Macs boot so its meant to boot straight to OS just like you would when booting a Mac. This means its not looking for fs drivers in a drivers folder from a boot manger like clover or other .efi loaders have in the past, these files are already present at bios level on start up.

4) One of the biggest advantages is speed of booting. Another is ease of use. You don't have to keep a mile long config of complicated commands. I know this is part of the features of clover but I prefer the keep it simple approach of Oz. Like i mentioned above, Oz boots like a Mac so once you are all set up you are booting instantly to osx even faster than a regular mac or clover fast boot option and that is where the speed is really noticeable.

One thing to note is if you are someone dependent on clovers patches and fixes Ozmosis is NOT for you.. Oz will never be like that and was never intended to be. If you see this as some "disadvantage" then again, Oz is not for you. If you want to boot your PC just like a Mac there is no need to point out advantages.

5) Oz gets updated everyday too :P Its just that Oz has only been offered in Quo bios so far so these updates haven't been seen. You can see from the jump in almost 600! builds that it does indeed have active development. Until Ozmosis has a "general" release you wont be seeing regular updates or any official support besides topics like this outside of official QUO support. Oz does have its own team of developers and one difference between these teams is Oz guys know what each other are doing all the time and they don't make extra work or bigger problems for themselves that bring about addition bugs. I personally never liked the constant updates of clover and was always one of my biggest complaints. 

6) Exactly! Check the first post and follow the videos. Its very simple stuff, just adding a few files.

You need to enter the same value as you would use for Chameleon's SystemId boot option, or Clover's CustomUUID setting combined with InjectSystemID=true setting. 

bdmesg directly after Ozmosis nvram reset (Cmd+Alt+P+R) shows
00:157 00:001 Setting NV+RT+BS 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:HardwareSignature = "00ABCDEF-ABCD-0101-07D0-A4700CC3FF09" 36 bytes - Success

In OS X, my IOPlatformUUID/Hardware UUID shows the same calculated value regardless of method used to boot.

That's correct for ozmosis 894 and below, but not for 1479.

Maybe I'm missing something?

With regards to the Clover vs Ozmosis discussion, my system is set to boot using Chameleon, Clover EFI/ UEFI or Ozmosis. I do this because I need to have some understanding of each process to continue development of Darwindumper.  I don't use any of Clovers smart features like DSDT fixes, kext patching etc. as relying on those would limit me to Clover only, though in the past I have found Clovers' AsusAICPUPM option very useful where it automatically detects when this patch is needed or not and enables it accordingly.

Anyway, I just wanted to report on the speed of both Clover and Ozmosis as here, with my CSM and non GOP video card, there's half a second difference. Using just the bootlog from each I can see CloverUEFI (Fast = true) completes in 2.12 seconds vs Ozmosis completes in 1.594 seconds.

Note: The figures are calculated because..

- Clover doesn't start it's log until my BIOS has presented me with the AMI screen showing version, memory, copyrights message etc. and then loads the Clover boot option. This takes 5 seconds on my machine.

- The Ozmosis bootlog begins when Oz is loaded, and that's before my BIOS presents me with the AMI screen. So the Oz boot log is split from initial load and setup, then the 5 seconds gap for the AMI screen, then the continued time to boot OS X.

That's correct for ozmosis 894 and below, but not for 1479.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Yes - you must be missing something because the settings I described only work since 1479 and did not with 894.

• Like 1

sorry for my ignorance guy, what is the ESP acronym for?

EFI System partition

e.g. a Mac installed drive has EFI partition + HFS partition

Same as Mac OSX USB installer

Here's an example when you open terminal, diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1 <<< ESP partition

2:                  Apple_HFS joshmac                 239.2 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

@blackosx i'm going to retry 1479 ozmosis to recheck if I get EFI shell option from boot menu, pretty sure mine didn't but will recheck. If no good might, might not revert. As my clover lives on USB i can easily switch and change.

@blackosx i'm going to retry 1479 ozmosis to recheck if I get EFI shell option from boot menu, pretty sure mine didn't but will recheck. If no good might, might not revert. As my clover lives on USB i can easily switch and change.

Okay great. Hope you find the option.

Alternative methods to boot in to EFI shell could be:
- Add HermitShell to BIOS and select it from BIOS boot menu (F8/F12). 
- Extract HermitShell.ffs from Ozmosis BIOS, convert to .efi, rename as bootx64.efi and place at /ESP/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
- create a FAT32 USB and populate it with /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi (same converted HermitShell as above).

Whatever works for you.

Alternative methods to boot in to EFI shell could be:
- Add HermitShell to BIOS and select it from BIOS boot menu (F8/F12).  << I had this option already. nvram stuff din't work from this shell though. Tell you the truth haven't had much experience with EFI shells :P especially this one.

I have installed the shell to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi because my bios has only 8mb. After a four finger nvram reset the shell does not appear in bios boot menu. My bios is set to boot "Uefi only". If I change this to "Uefi and Legacy" P0 appears. Then I boot to P0 what fails expected. But after the next reboot ... I got EFI shell from bios boot menu.

F15 working with latest 1479 ozmosis also with Atheros LC1 Ethernet built-in.

Kingston Hyper-X boots with ozmosis prob 5-7 secs.

When UEFI mode only, I have to leave network stack disabled to get any type of usable network.

I had to Clover install Yosemite Beta 3. But after that I can boot OS X with ozmosis or clover whatever I choose.

Trying to install OS X with ozmosis always ended up with waiting for root. Yes USB prob but no matter what fixed it.

OS X Dev preview worked with ozmosis with USB installer.

OS X Beta's all resulted in waiting for root.

Anyway happy to install with clover then switch, been working my way around things for years in the OS X world.

F15 for Z77MX-D3H attached modified with ozmosis 1479 + Atheros LC1 kext.

iMac12,1 defaults also attached.

All working good with F15 DSDT fixed, SSDT for 2500k or Sandy Bridge based processor.

Z77MXD3H.F15.zip

OzmosisDefaults.plist.zip

2500k_SSDT.aml.zip

F15_fixed_dsdt.aml.zip

@blackosx or anyone am i write by saying this location >

/Volumes/EFI/Efi/Quo/Acpi/Load

is still the location which override default aml's being read?

so in theory I just mount -t msdos /dev/rdiskXsX /tmp/EFI then do my stuff?

I have tuned DSDT.aml with no errors and SSDT.aml which suits 2500k processor. If this is right location will go ahead :)