Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

That's not how legacy boot works, you can't return to the previous stage. Also, there is already a method to perform what you want: install boot0af, set your second partition as the active boot partition using fdisk. No idea why you think EFI volume is ugly, it should have only a few folders that you never even see on it, literally the same files that will end up on the system volume in what you want....

EDIT: You can also set it up to always mount your EFI partition, google it. Or use the rc scripts.

This is just stubborn. Of course it's more practical to have clover in the system volume. How can I set a active boot partition on a GPT? Isn't that only possible with a master boot record?

Boot0 has a size of 440bytes. There is no place to improve logic.

Ok, what about providing a boot1h2 then that leaves the partition state "EFI" intact? I mean, if I put boot1h2 on the efi partition, the system will think it is a HFS+ volume now. A bootefi1h2 :)

Hi, 

I mirrored my system drive to a new SATA HDD "OSX2". It's 1:1 cloned. CCC reports "Sierra 10.12.6" on the drive. Also there is a recovery partition on the drive, but still empty.

Now clover only shows the recovery partition as a boot option, and not the OSX2 system partition. boot0ss is installed on the drive.

Here is the drive info:

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *4.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX2                    4.0 TB     disk2s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk2s3

And system info:

Intel 8 Series Chipset:

Hersteller:	Intel
  Produkt:	8 Series Chipset
  Link-Geschwindigkeit:	6 Gigabit
  Ausgehandelte Link-Geschwindigkeit:	6 Gigabit
  Physischer Verbindungstyp:	SATA
  Beschreibung:	AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

ST4000LM024-2AN17V:

Kapazität:	4 TB (4.000.787.030.016 Byte)
  Modell:	ST4000LM024-2AN17V                      
  Version:	1
   Native Command Queuing:	Ja
  Queue Depth:	32
  Wechselmedien:	Nein
  Absteckbares Laufwerk:	Nein
  BSD-Name:	disk2
  Rotationsfrequenz:	5526
  Medienart:	Rotierend
  Partitionstabellentyp:	GPT (GUID-Partitionstabelle)
  S.M.A.R.T.-Status:	Überprüft
  Volumes:
EFI:
  Kapazität:	209,7 MB (209.715.200 Byte)
  Dateisystem:	MS-DOS FAT32
  BSD-Name:	disk2s1
  Inhalt:	EFI
OSX2:
  Kapazität:	4 TB (3.999.927.271.424 Byte)
  Verfügbar:	2,33 TB (2.334.169.554.944 Byte)
  Beschreibbar:	Ja
  Dateisystem:	Journaled HFS+
  BSD-Name:	disk2s2
  Mount-Point:	/Volumes/OSX2
  Inhalt:	Apple_HFS
Recovery HD:
  Kapazität:	650 MB (650.002.432 Byte)
  Dateisystem:	Journaled HFS+
  BSD-Name:	disk2s3
  Inhalt:	Apple_Boot

What is the problem here? Thanks for help.

This is a question of 2008 year. Your problem is boot0ss.

Two kind of installation.

1. GPT partitioning. Recommended scheme. Reliable for Windows UEFI booting.

No active partitions.

boot0af in Master Boot Record. sector 0 of whole drive.

boot1f32 in first sector of EFI partiton (PBR sector)

boot file (Legacy Clover) and EFI folder with Clover on the EFI partition formatted to FAT32 and has signature EF00.

2. MBR partitioning. Obsolete. Reliable for Windows XP booting.

Windows partition is active.

boot0ss in MBR sector

boot1h in first sector of HFS+ partition with MacOS.

boot file and EFI folder also on that partition.

In this case you can't use Clover functions F2, F4, F6 because HFS+ partition is ReadOnly for Clover.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

3. GPT partitioning. Recommended scheme. Reliable for Windows UEFI booting.

No active partitions.

boot1f32v2 in first sector of EFI partiton (PBR sector)

boot file (Legacy Clover) and EFI folder with Clover on the next (HFS+) partition.

boot1f32v2 so clever that it looks on the next NFS+ partition after finding nothing on the EFI partition.

\o/

I've been having a mad problem in the last HS beta, or maybe the one before as well.

If I delete an existing EFI folder in the EFI partition and copy another one into it, it tells me I don't have enough disk space. Re-running clover doesn't help.

Terminal shows me I have heaps of space, the partition is formatted properly etc.

Anyone else had this?

I've been having a mad problem in the last HS beta, or maybe the one before as well.

If I delete an existing EFI folder in the EFI partition and copy another one into it, it tells me I don't have enough disk space. Re-running clover doesn't help.

Terminal shows me I have heaps of space, the partition is formatted properly etc.

Anyone else had this?

I think you forgot to empty the trash.

• Like 4

3. GPT partitioning. Recommended scheme. Reliable for Windows UEFI booting.

No active partitions.

boot1f32v2 in first sector of EFI partiton (PBR sector)

boot file (Legacy Clover) and EFI folder with Clover on the next (HFS+) partition.

boot1f32v2 so clever that it looks on the next NFS+ partition after finding nothing on the EFI partition.

\o/

NOT POSSIBLE. There is not enough room to add this extensive code, not to mention after boot0 passes to boot1, it's probably going to be pretty difficult to just figure out the next partition, let alone all the code needed to search for the boot firmware file on the partition - this already takes up most of the code area available. And yes you can make the partition active in a hybrid GPT/MBR. You realize also that if you are booting legacy you can just skip using the EFI partition all together... Just install straight to the macOS volume... You're asking for something that you could do yourself in like five minutes but would take forever to code, like literally forever because it couldn't happen, there's just not enough space for the instructions. Otherwise there would be no need for the boot firmware at all, we could just put it at boot0 or boot1....

• Like 3

Clover working very well here on my legacy BIOS machines, installed in EFI system partition on GPT formatted drives.  How did you install Clover?

With the Clover pkg installer, after selecting the target OSX volume, I select "customize" with the following options...

The Clover wiki describes the legacy booting process:

Essentially BIOS--->MBR--->PBR--->boot--->CLOVERX64.efi--->OSLoader

In terms of the bootsectors:

BIOS--->boot0af in MBR--->boot1f32 in the PBR of the EFI System Partition--->boot6 in ESP--->CLOVERX64.efi in ESP--->OSLoader

That works for me too.

For the Legacy boot it will still be difficult to get there

Here I see a portion of the script postinstall for Legacy boot

if [[ ${boot_volume_format} = "hfs" ]]; then
    echo "Stage 1 - Writting ${partitionloaderhfs} to ${bootrdev}" >> "$install_log"
    echo "File system is HFS." >> "$install_log"
    echo "dd if=${DEST_VOL}/usr/standalone/i386/${partitionloaderhfs} of=${bootrdev}" >> "$install_log"
    dd if="${DEST_VOL}/usr/standalone/i386/${partitionloaderhfs}" of=${bootrdev}

I do not know if this can be done on System APFS  :)
I am a simple Packager and not Coder but I am concerned with the use of Package Clover in the Future
I do not have the knowledge to get to know it and do it

Chris, can you not just install Clover to a prepared Flash drive, configure it the way you want with Configurator, and then copy the EFI folder and boot file to the APFS EFI? I have probably just described the way you guys are already doing it!

That works for me too.

Chris, can you not just install Clover to a prepared Flash drive, configure it the way you want with Configurator, and then copy the EFI folder and boot file to the APFS EFI? I have probably just described the way you guys are already doing it!

Yes 

You can use the Clover package legacy install or UEFI on a HFS + J blank volume.
Then do a High Sierra install and convert APFS, the volumes will always be bootable and the boot files will be present

Yes 

You can use the Clover package legacy install or UEFI on a HFS + J blank volume.
Then do a High Sierra install and convert APFS, the volumes will always be bootable and the boot files will be present

If I understand you correctly I can convert the EFI partition to APFS. Right now when I right click  on the EFI and choose get info it is saying format is Fat-32

If I understand you correctly I can convert the EFI partition to APFS. Right now when I right click  on the EFI and choose get info it is saying format is Fat-32

No  No    :surprised:

the EFI partition must always be in FAT32

I'm talking about Volumes High Sierra, sorry if you do not understand my English, I thought I was clear

No  No    :surprised:

the EFI partition must always be in FAT32

I'm talking about Volumes High Sierra, sorry if you do not understand my English, I thought I was clear

No you were clear. It's my own  confusion.  I had originally installed High Sierra first in HFS and then converted to APFS.  My recent installs have been installed as APFS. Now I get it!

No you were clear. It's my own  confusion.  I had originally installed High Sierra first in HFS and then converted to APFS.  My recent installs have been installed as APFS. Now I get it!

Ok Great  :)

Guys, I am sorry, I totally seem to miss the existence of "boot0hfs". But AFAIK it is not included into clover installer as an option. Can you add it then?

Ok, I am at beginning again. I now installed boot0hfs to my pure GPT drive, and boot1h2 to the first HFS system partition. Strangely the boot1h2 or boot0hfs seems to scan the whole hdd tree first, before loading clover from whatever partition :P  

Please tell me in my case (legacy bios mode, pure GPT formatted HDD, clover on HFS system partition): What boot0 / boot1 variants do I have to choose, and on what partition do I need to place boot1 then?

Is there a way to see from what hdd and partition clover did start?

Hi folks,

Would anyone have time to check these portions of my Clover boot.log and see if what appears to be happening twice actually is?

Note the 4 patches...

3:916  0:000  === [ FixBiosDsdt ] =======================================
3:916  0:000  VideoCard devID=0x1628086
3:916  0:000  DisplayADR1[0] = 0x20000, DisplayADR2[0] = 0xFFFE
3:916  0:000  USBADR[0] = 0x140000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
3:916  0:000  USBADR[1] = 0x1A0000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
4:046  0:130  Found Airport BCM at 0x1C0004, 0x0
4:046  0:000  USBADR[2] = 0x1D0000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
4:046  0:000  Patching DSDT:
4:046  0:000   - [Convert COPR to MATH]: pattern 434F5052, patched at: [ (3146) ]
4:047  0:000   - [Convert TPMX to MEM2]: pattern 54504D58, patched at: [ (1B50) ]
4:047  0:000   - [Convert SAT0 to SATA]: pattern 53415430, patched at: [ (692D) ]
4:047  0:000   - [Convert GFX0 to IGPU]: pattern 47465830, patched at: [ (7450) (13C3) (12) (5C8) (19) (F) (9B0) (20) (20) (20) (20) (20) (20) (20) (8F2) (14) (110C) ]

They seem to happen lower down here too...

4:048  0:000  === [ PatchAllSSDT ] ======================================
4:048  0:000  Patch table: SSDT  SataTabl len=0x36D
4:048  0:000  0. [Convert COPR to MATH]: pattern 434F5052, bin not found / already patched!
4:048  0:000  1. [Convert TPMX to MEM2]: pattern 54504D58, bin not found / already patched!
4:048  0:000  2. [Convert SAT0 to SATA]: pattern 53415430, patched at: [ (B5) ]
4:048  0:000  3. [Convert GFX0 to IGPU]: pattern 47465830, bin not found / already patched!
4:048  0:000  Drop tables from Xsdt, SIGN=XXXX TableID= Length=0
4:048  0:000   Xsdt has tables count=6

Is this something that automatically happens with Clover now and I just haven't removed the patches from my Config.plist?

fusion71au:

But managing a clover installation on a by default hidden EFI partition is a pain in the ass. Why boot0 or boot1 cannot simply look on the next partition, if the EFI partition is empty? 

Also the installation on the system partition is a best practise for backups. The clover setup will be backed up, too, so my backup drive can fully boot in the same way.

Etc.

EFI partition is ugly, system partition is beauty.

I mean some logic like this:

1. boot0 loads and checks for boot1 on 1st partition

2. boot1 of partition 1 doesn't find clover on this partition and returns false, returns back to boot0

3. boot0 tries the next partition on the same drive for a boot1

4. boot1 of partition 2 finds clover and loads it -> lot of headaches gone

And when you format your drive you lose everything.  My EFI keeps all important files and for me I have plenty of legacy PC see my signature and I would never go any other way but EFI partition.  

• Like 1

And when you format your drive you lose everything.  My EFI keeps all important files and for me I have plenty of legacy PC see my signature and I would never go any other way but EFI partition.  

Erase Drive disk Utility erase also EFI Partition  :P

post-951341-0-37643500-1503963574_thumb.png

• Like 1

No, that's definitely out of the scope of Clover (or any UEFI application/driver, really). It's simply not possible without directly modifying the ME's firmware, which is what me_cleaner does (on SKL/KBL with ME v11.x it sets the reserve_hap bit in the PCH strap, in addition to removing unnecessary modules like it does for older ME firmware revisions).

Edit: The dev branch of me_cleaner also now sets the reserve_hap bit for older ME versions (in addition to the previous removal of most of the firmware modules).

If you don't know what this means, ignore it. Don't mess with ME/etc unless you know what you're doing.

• Like 1

Was trying to load Clover from a firmware volume using OVMF as if it was loaded in from the bios itself. Wonder if anyone has tried it? I had some success with Refind loader though. Thanks.

No, that's definitely out of the scope of Clover (or any UEFI application/driver, really). It's simply not possible without directly modifying the ME's firmware, which is what me_cleaner does (on SKL/KBL with ME v11.x it sets the reserve_hap bit in the PCH strap, in addition to removing unnecessary modules like it does for older ME firmware revisions).

Edit: The dev branch of me_cleaner also now sets the reserve_hap bit for older ME versions (in addition to the previous removal of most of the firmware modules).

If you don't know what this means, ignore it. Don't mess with ME/etc unless you know what you're doing.

Thanks for the explanation, mate.

Hi folks,

Would anyone have time to check these portions of my Clover boot.log and see if what appears to be happening twice actually is?

Note the 4 patches...

3:916  0:000  === [ FixBiosDsdt ] =======================================
3:916  0:000  VideoCard devID=0x1628086
3:916  0:000  DisplayADR1[0] = 0x20000, DisplayADR2[0] = 0xFFFE
3:916  0:000  USBADR[0] = 0x140000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
3:916  0:000  USBADR[1] = 0x1A0000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
4:046  0:130  Found Airport BCM at 0x1C0004, 0x0
4:046  0:000  USBADR[2] = 0x1D0000 and PCIe = 0xFFFE
4:046  0:000   - [Convert COPR to MATH]: pattern 434F5052, patched at: [ (3146) ]
4:047  0:000   - [Convert TPMX to MEM2]: pattern 54504D58, patched at: [ (1B50) ]
4:047  0:000   - [Convert SAT0 to SATA]: pattern 53415430, patched at: [ (692D) ]
4:047  0:000   - [Convert GFX0 to IGPU]: pattern 47465830, patched at: [ (7450) (13C3) (12) (5C8) (19) (F) (9B0) (20) (20) (20) (20) (20) (20) (20) (8F2) (14) (110C) ]

They seem to happen lower down here too...

4:048  0:000  Patch table: SSDT  SataTabl len=0x36D
4:048  0:000  0. [Convert COPR to MATH]: pattern 434F5052, bin not found / already patched!
4:048  0:000  1. [Convert TPMX to MEM2]: pattern 54504D58, bin not found / already patched!
4:048  0:000  2. [Convert SAT0 to SATA]: pattern 53415430, patched at: [ (B5) ]
4:048  0:000  3. [Convert GFX0 to IGPU]: pattern 47465830, bin not found / already patched!
4:048  0:000  Drop tables from Xsdt, SIGN=XXXX TableID= Length=0
4:048  0:000   Xsdt has tables count=6

Is this something that automatically happens with Clover now and I just haven't removed the patches from my Config.plist?

I think this is the normal / expected behavior : 

The first log is for DSDT :

The second is for SSDT :

• Like 1

hey

how I can fix this ?

SPD[1]: Got invalid type 0 @0x51. Will set page and retry.

thx in advance

What are the lines after this? It's probably that you have DDR4 and it is not reading from the first page of the SPD for that module. So it gets a weird value, says that and attempts to set the page to the first one, I'm assuming it then determines your memory fine after that?

Hey,

quick question which I think I know the answer too...

Can Clover boot from NetInstall, or NetBoot images hosted with OS X Server, No right?

No. I couldn't even get it to work on some macs, lol.