Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I had Clover installed on the EFI partition on my HDD. I removed the EFI folder from the EFI partition.

Now I want to move to legacy (MBR) boot mode.

So I tried installing Clover on the target partition (Yosemite) and the installation was successful, BUT, when trying to boot from that partition, I always get a boot0af: error, as if the boot is not on the target partition. But it is. Probably MBR is not updated...? Maybe it's not updated with the latest changes so that it knows that I installed the boot on the Yosemite partition? It might be very well something stupid everything that I said. This is just from my experience.

So could anyone help me update MBR (if that's the case) or make the Yosemite partition boot again? Eventually without needing to wipe my entire HDD and start over again..? :D

P.s.: some questions: just changing the ScreenResolution key in the config plist didn't avoid the distortion of the menu, but that's what I expected, since I removed the CSM driver. I'll try again with the driver in the correct folder, but what I want to know is if I had to use also patch VBIOS set to true, or only the CSM will do? Another thing, CSM support in BIOS can be left set as auto, or must necessarily be set as enabled? Just to do the tests the most correct way possible.

Hey,

For what it worth (because our hardware is different so procedure may vary).

I was bothered as well by the stretched screen at boot + at the verbose step.

I have a discrete card (GTX 760 + the HDMI connector) btw, UEFI mode and multiboot for Windows 8 and 10.9.4

In the plist, i set my resolution (fullHD), PatchVBIOS set to false. Reboot, no effect.

The key was to add the csm driver (there is in my UEFI BIOS something related to CSM and it's set to enabled, i precise because i don't know if there is a link of cause and effect).

The only thing weird, is the non centered Asus logo when i boot windows. Before it was just above the Win 8 spinning wheel. Now with the full HD resolution, the Asus logo moved to left. 

post-497804-0-62983200-1405185415_thumb.png

• Like 1

Are you booting legacy or UEFI? Cause you have two different types of options checked there.

My target would be to boot in legacy mode.

I know I've got UEFI drivers but...that's what I always use to have everything (especially iMessage) working.

I'm not sure what should I check for UEFI, and what should I check for legacy so that, in either one of the two modes I can have everything (again, especially iMessage) working. Would you recommend something else?

BGRT ?

Boot Graphics Resource Table* 

The Boot Graphics Resource Table (BGRT) is an optional table that provides a mechanism to indicate that an image was drawn on the screen during boot, and some information about the image.

The table is written when the image is drawn on the screen. This should be done after it is expected that any firmware components that may write to the screen are done doing so and it is known that the image is the only thing on the screen. If the boot path is interrupted (e.g. by a key press), the valid bit within the status field should be changed to 0 to indicate to the OS that the current image is invalidated.

This table is only supported on UEFI systems.

• Like 2

Try with vbios patch=true, csm video driver, and injected an edid that was extracted from windows or linux (or create one from scratch) with the working mode in it. Otherwise please turn on debug.log (Boot/Log=true) and see where it stops for better response or fix. Also make sure you use the installer to install csm video driver and matched clover binary, it matters.

And the BIOS? CSM must be "enabled" or will "auto" do the job as well?

from my manual :

CSM : this item allows you to configure the Compatibility Support Module items to fully support the various VGA, bootable devices and add-on devices for better compatibility.

Auto : the system automatically detects the bootable devices and the add-on devices

Enabled : For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows UEFI mode

Disabled : Disable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows UEFI mode

The following items appear only when you set the Launch CSM to enabled

Boot devices control  : UEFI and legacy OPROM

This item allows you to select the type of devices that you want to boot

Configuration options : UEFI and legacy OPROM / Legacy OPROM only / UEFI only

etc.

As far as i understand, you can leave it to auto ; the compatibility of your hardware will be detected.

But if you use the iGPU, the question doesn't come. It's more related to Legacy/UEFI stuff.

I have difficult now to make the link with the csm driver :/ i need an aspirin and go to watch a movie :P

Maybe. :) I'm not an expert. And I still got A LOT to learn.

But please, have a look at the attached screenshot and tell me if it's correct or not. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-12 at 7.00.47 PM.png

Hi Radu,

If your aim is to be able to boot Clover either in legacy & UEFI mode (depending on what your BIOS setting is), then tick "Install Clover in the ESP" but leave "Install for UEFI booting only" unticked - the rest of your install settings are OK.  This will install the necessary Clover boot files in the MBR & PBR....

refer Clover wiki What is what.

Golden rule of computing: Never delete something unless you have a backup copy and can restore files/settings to their previous state should things go wrong.  The EFI folder is needed by Clover to boot, regardless of whether it is by the legacy or UEFI pathways.

PS:

If you want to return your EFI partition to a "clean state" (removing boot files etc), you can format it with the following in terminal (replace X with your disk number, Y is usually 1):

sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdiskXsY
  • Like 2

I used to have the same HD3000 artifact problem and I solved it by adding 'slide=0' into the Boot arguments. 

Not sure but why don't you give it a try.

Thanks friend, your solution has solved the problem !!!!   :yes:

PS:

If you want to return your EFI partition to a "clean state" (removing boot files etc), you can format it with the following in terminal (replace X with your disk number, Y is usually 1):

I recently had a problem where ESP was formatted as a Microsoft Data partition using "newfs_msdos" command and had to recreate the EFI partition with gpt tool.

diskutil list

sudo -s

gpt -r show diskX

diskutil unmountDisk diskX

gpt remove -i 1 diskX

gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 409600 -t C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B diskX

*with the disk needing to be unmounted this needs to be completed from recovery or an install different from the disk needing to be repaired

*C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B is the intended GUID for ESP

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2166/_index.html

• Like 2

Hey,

For what it worth (because our hardware is different so procedure may vary).

I was bothered as well by the stretched screen at boot + at the verbose step.

I have a discrete card (GTX 760 + the HDMI connector) btw, UEFI mode and multiboot for Windows 8 and 10.9.4

In the plist, i set my resolution (fullHD), PatchVBIOS set to false. Reboot, no effect.

The key was to add the csm driver (there is in my UEFI BIOS something related to CSM and it's set to enabled, i precise because i don't know if there is a link of cause and effect).

The only thing weird, is the non centered Asus logo when i boot windows. Before it was just above the Win 8 spinning wheel. Now with the full HD resolution, the Asus logo moved to left. 

I also have the 760(msi) but updated my vbios tu an uefi vbios and no more displaced windows 8 boot logo and disabled the cam entirely.

• Like 1

ok friend now try

How are you?

Doing OK :)

Actually I'm still a bit confused with this. My ethernet disappeared again. When the kernelcache got (re)built it would fail to load on reboot (com.apple.kextd[10]: Kext id com.insanelymac.driver.AppleIntelE1000e not found; removing personalities).

Now I have it working again by removing the IONetworkingFamily kext from the EFI folder and rebuilding the kernelcache. But I don't know if it will disappear the next time the kernelcache gets rebuilt. My other kexts get injected fine but they don't have the same dependency as AppleIntelE1000e.

If it keeps doing this I might just put it back into /S/L/E cos losing ethernet can play havoc with software activation.

Hi Radu,

If your aim is to be able to boot Clover either in legacy & UEFI mode (depending on what your BIOS setting is), then tick "Install Clover in the ESP" but leave "Install for UEFI booting only" unticked - the rest of your install settings are OK.  This will install the necessary Clover boot files in the MBR & PBR....

refer Clover wiki What is what.

Golden rule of computing: Never delete something unless you have a backup copy and can restore files/settings to their previous state should things go wrong.  The EFI folder is needed by Clover to boot, regardless of whether it is by the legacy or UEFI pathways.

PS:

As always, thank you so much for teaching me these things. You're a walking encyclopedia. :)

Did that and now I don't encounter that error anymore. The system is still hanging (at least when booting in normal mode) but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with what you told me.

What if I want to install a secondary OS (let's say Mavericks), also in legacy mode? When installing Clover for Mavericks, should I select the exact same things I did for Yosemite or less than that? Like only "Install Clover in the ESP", with "Don't update MBR and PBR sectors" and no "Drivers64UEFI" (since, I assume, they are already there)? Also with no "Install RC scripts on target volume" (for the same reason). Basically, what I'm asking is what do I have to check in Clover for dual-booting (two Mac operating systems, from the same HDD)? Is it different?

I recently had a problem where ESP was formatted as a Microsoft Data partition using "newfs_msdos" command and had to recreate the EFI partition with gpt tool.

diskutil list

sudo -s

gpt -r show diskX

diskutil unmountDisk diskX

gpt remove -i 1 diskX

gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 409600 -t C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B diskX

*with the disk needing to be unmounted this needs to be completed from recovery or an install different from the disk needing to be repaired

*C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B is the intended GUID for ESP

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2166/_index.html

Man, that is technical as {censored}! :))) Nonetheless, thank you very much. I am technically inclined, by nature, or so I like to think about myself, but that might be too technical for me. It's like reading binary code. And I would prefer reading something in Chinese, then binary code. :)) Jokes aside, I'll have a look at that as well and see how much of it I can understand.

Two questions I've got, and they address somehow to both you and fusion71au: so, in the end, which method should I use to bring the EFI partition to a clean state without removing it completely and needing to rebuild the entire HDD from scratch? Is the second method enough? Should I do the first one too and then the second one? Cause I'm a bit confused here. The second one looks like it's got everything, but I just want to make sure.

Also, do I have to replace that X in "diskX" with the actual EFI partition ID (like disk0s1) or should I leave it "diskX"?

Hello, i was wondering...with clover, with intel HD4600(desktop)(i5-4590) do i need to do anything else besides to inject intel and set ig-platform id: 0x0300220D ? 

Fakeid should be 0x0 ? Are there any other values i should try? I can barely make it boot with HD4600 but it's frustrating cause i can't make it work, it says "no kext loaded" in system report and shows only 7 mb of vram.

thanks!

Doing OK :)

Actually I'm still a bit confused with this. My ethernet disappeared again. When the kernelcache got (re)built it would fail to load on reboot (com.apple.kextd[10]: Kext id com.insanelymac.driver.AppleIntelE1000e not found; removing personalities).

Now I have it working again by removing the IONetworkingFamily kext from the EFI folder and rebuilding the kernelcache. But I don't know if it will disappear the next time the kernelcache gets rebuilt. My other kexts get injected fine but they don't have the same dependency as AppleIntelE1000e.

If it keeps doing this I might just put it back into /S/L/E cos losing ethernet can play havoc with software activation.

Now, to me it's working, with the advice you gave me .... but maybe I will install all the kext in SLE..thz !,

Two questions I've got, and they address somehow to both you and fusion71au: so, in the end, which method should I use to bring the EFI partition to a clean state without removing it completely and needing to rebuild the entire HDD from scratch? Is the second method enough? Should I do the first one too and then the second one? Cause I'm a bit confused here. The second one looks like it's got everything, but I just want to make sure.

Also, do I have to replace that X in "diskX" with the actual EFI partition ID (like disk0s1) or should I leave it "diskX"?

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57597/how-to-fix-broken-efi-partition

Found that link to help in understanding better than i explained :D

You should stick with the newfs_msdos command for now.. My problem was from the ESP partition becoming corrupt and not formatting correctly to the needed esp format. Keep in mind that "ESP" is not a typical FAT32 file system. gpt show command will show a different GUID for a "regular" FAT32 partition which then gets displayed as a Microsoft Data Partition by diskutil, once that happens the EFI partition is corrupt and will not format back to ESP partition without being recreated with the correct GUID. This problem comes from mounting ESP in OSX. There are needed files for this not to happen, an .fseventsd and .metadata_never_index. Clover only uses .fsevenetsd so don't be worried if you don't see the .metadata file on your ESP.

• Like 1

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57597/how-to-fix-broken-efi-partition

Found that link to help in understanding better than i explained :D

You should stick with the newfs_msdos command for now.. My problem was from the ESP partition becoming corrupt and not formatting correctly to the needed esp format. Keep in mind that "ESP" is not a typical FAT32 file system. gpt show command will show a different GUID for a "regular" FAT32 partition which then gets displayed as a Microsoft Data Partition by diskutil, once that happens the EFI partition is corrupt and will not format back to ESP partition without being recreated with the correct GUID. This problem comes from mounting ESP in OSX. There are needed files for this not to happen, an .fsevetsd and .metadata_never_index. Clover only uses .fseventsd so don't be worried if you don't see the .metadata file on your ESP.

Waw, I hope I will never need to do that. :)) It's waay too much of a hassle. But I found out new things. So thank you for that anyway. :) Now, I don't need to do anything to the EFI partition....yet. Especially since I don't get an error when booting anymore. The problem I've got is related to one of the kexts and I'm hoping to fix that soon, hopefully without ending up formatting the whole freaking HDD! :))

Anyway, so the X in your commands was indeed the disk number. In my case, it's the first disk, so yeah, it would be disk0, the EFI partition being at disk0s1.

Thanks again. :)

You welcome.

Credit to toleda.

Slice - can you explain why kext patching with clover doesn't work for this fix?

Hello, i was wondering...with clover, with intel HD4600(desktop)(i5-4590) do i need to do anything else besides to inject intel and set ig-platform id: 0x0300220D ? 

Fakeid should be 0x0 ? Are there any other values i should try? I can barely make it boot with HD4600 but it's frustrating cause i can't make it work, it says "no kext loaded" in system report and shows only 7 mb of vram.

thanks!

Clover's byte order differs from Chameleon's byte order.

ig-platform-id must be 0x0d220003

Wishes!

• Like 1