Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Then I'd just copy off anything I needed, format the drive and start over. Otherwise you're always going to question if it's right.  Luck with it...

Thanks, man. There is nothing irreplaceable on that HDD. I specially got it for Mac. I still have the important stuff on another HDD. So that's not such a big issue. It's kind of annoying to do it all the time, but hopefully now I know how to do it right thanks to fusion71au so I can get iMessage to work again.  All I need are 4 things: the USB stick, the Yosemite OSX app, FakeSMC.kext and the LAN kext. That's all. If I've got that, the rest can be redownloaded. And iMessage is working right now. The only thing that's not working yet, is the booting from HDD (I'm using the USB stick to boot).

It is. I've used exactly the same steps (same things checked in the installer) when created the USB Stick. So yes, it's doing the right thing. The partition was created on the stick, but not on the HDD. This is most likely due to me playing with all the partitions and all the wiping I've done during the past few days.

So..I suppose there are only two options now:

1. go fully with the MBR installation, which would mean that I need to remove the EFI folder from my /Yosemite partition (not sure, do I need to remove the EFI_Backups folder as well?). What else do I have to remove to have a full Clover uninstallation?

2. try to format again (which I'm not sure how much good will bring since I've already done done before) and try my luck with the UEFI installation again.

Anyway, to me, today was a good day for science. I learned so much from you, man. :)

That's pretty much the options you have at the moment :).

If you want to take the conservative route, install Clover legacy boot files in the MBR and don't remove the EFI folder from the /Yosemite partition (it is required by Clover). 

The other option is to start from scratch, GUID partition with Disk Utility etc.  This is "cleaner" and will allow you to boot UEFI but has the risk of losing iMessages  (because you will have a new boot-uuid when you create the new HFS+ partition for Yosemite)  ---> might need to reset your Apple account again :wallbash: .

• Like 1

Probably the person you contact to, has an Android phone.

They do but it also happens to anyone I have in contacts, even people that has a iPhone, it worked before I went to DP2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsi4x5qthuqtyx9/Screenshot%202014-06-29%2021.00.18.png

Look at the highlighted area, something seems to be wrong with this key

That's pretty much the options you have at the moment :).

If you want to take the conservative route, install Clover legacy boot files in the MBR and don't remove the EFI folder from the /Yosemite partition (it is required by Clover).

The other option is to start from scratch, GUID partition with Disk Utility etc. This is "cleaner" and will allow you to boot UEFI but has the risk of losing iMessages (because you will have a new boot-uuid when you create the new HFS+ partition for Yosemite) ---> might need to reset your Apple account again :wallbash: .

Well, first of all, let's just say that I'm now using a fully working hackintosh WITH iMessage and Clover installed in UEFI mode.

Second of all, I've got two things to say (well, maybe three):

1. I tried going fully with the MBR method, install Clover in legacy mode, just as I did before, only this time, I also checked to add RC scripts. The installation was successful, BUT it still wouldn't boot. Same error.

And I think the reason for this is that, as I said, after fully formatting the partition and reinstalling Yosemite, I attempted a UEFI installation of Clover (just like I did on my USB stick). But because I had no EFI partition where Clover could install, I got "the best" (not quite, but anyway) of both worlds. Meaning a UEFI installation in a "forced legacy mode". :)) I selected UEFI, but there was no EFI partition already created, so Clover went into the first partition it could find (disk0s1) which, in my case, was my Yosemite HDD partition.

I know this is highly unlikely for anyone to happen (I mean, for anyone who's not an idiot :)) ) but maybe there are some checks that Clover could do in the background before attempting to install itself.

Checks like, if the user attempts a UEFI installation, before installing anything, check if there is a partition called EFI, if its format is FAT32 and if it's on disk0s1 (or, depending on the installation location, check if the first partition is an EFI partition). If it's not, throw an error and cancel installation. This should help if someone attempts such a thing on any non-bootable (non EFI enabled) disk. I guess that should work for dual-boot, as well. I'm not sure if such a thing (or maybe something similar) would be needed for legacy installation. I'm not very familar with MBR installation. But I got very close to EFI during the past few days of struggling to get iMessage working again. But anyway, it would be nice to have that check for UEFI, to prevent things like these from happening.

2. Because I wasn't able to boot in legacy mode, I needed to recreate the EFI partition on my HDD. And apparently the easiest way to do that was to format my HDD and repartition it. This also added the EFI partition on disk0s1 and allowed me to install Clover in UEFI mode, after reinstalling the system. Not to mention that this command is pure gold:

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook /private/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local
The only downside to it, for as far as I could see (but it might be just me), is that now my computer won't go into complete shutdown. It goes into restart instead. Is there a fix for this too?

Also, I didn't need to change anything regarding my password... Not sure if, for the case I mentioned above, the boot-uuid changed or not (probably not, but I don't think I can verify that, can I?), but I was able to login into iMessage with no problems, using the same old password. I suppose now I can change it back to my previous password....

And the third thing is:

THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart, for all the help you gave me and for all the patience you had to teach me all these things. Thank you!

Now I need to try and find a working patched AppleHDA (for ALC892). I'm using VoodooHDA right now and I can't say I'm very happy with it. :))

• Like 1

@arsradu,

Congratulations and very well done :D.

Hackintoshing is a bit like climbing a mountain.  It can be a very difficult journey (and some will not make it) but when you finally succeed, the sense of satisfaction from finally reaching your destination/goal can be immense and the view is fantastic!

Thanks for the feedback and letting us know what worked and what did not.  It helps the community as a whole :).

Regards

fusion

PS The logout hook by @pokenguyen to save nvram.plist doesn't cause any adverse effects to my machine so I'm not really sure what's causing the reboots for your system.  Maybe poke can provide a clue .... ;)

• Like 1

@arsradu,

Hackintoshing is a bit like climbing a mountain.  It can be a very difficult journey (and some will not make it) but when you finally succeed, the sense of satisfaction from finally reaching your destination/goal can be immense and the view is fantastic!

Thanks for the feedback and letting us know what worked and what did not.  It helps the community as a whole :).

Regards

fusion

PS The logout hook by @pokenguyen to save nvram.plist doesn't cause any adverse effects to my machine so I'm not really sure what's causing the reboots for your system.  Maybe poke can provide a clue .... ;)

Well then maybe I'll poke him. :)

Hi I have  little problem with Clover but it unfortunately preventing me from using it.

First a small introduction and why I want to use Clover.

I'm not really what could be called a noob with hackintoshes.
My first hackintosh was in Tiger 10.4.something... (I found an old 10.4.8 dvd at home...)
Then 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and lately, a jump to 10.9.3 on a new configuration which is as such:

- Gigabyte Z87X UD3H

- Intel Core I7 4770

- Asus GT 640

- 16 Gb Ram

Still I'm not a guru by far, I'm none of a coder but I'm fairly good at googling and understanding most of what I read.

The 10.9.3 was done at first using chimera 3.0.1 (as in t0ny...), after a lot of random freezes, I found out it was stable if I removed the Asus GT640 and worked on the internal IGFX 4600...
Could have gone that way, but are we geeks or not?

So I decided to give a try at Clover installation was quite "difficult" mixing with "Hackintosh Vietnam Tool", clover installer package (v2kr2721) and clover configurator.

The problem I have is that I have several hard drive (a main SSD 250Gb, a backup drive 250Gb and another 160Gb raptor).

All of them have a working installation of Mavericks, time taught me that it's better to have backup disks than none...

So teh BIG problem is that, no matter what I set in config.plist or clover preference pane, the default boot volume is always the backup 250Gb disk.

I've tried switching sata cables between both, it doesn't change anything.

I've tried putting partition names or UUID, it doesn't work.

Still I'm sure that the config.plist is read as I can change the theme.

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>LegacyBiosDefault</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Mavericks_SSD</string>
<key>Log</key>
<false/>
<key>NeverHibernate</key>
<true/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
</dict>

My disks are all UEFI GPT

Any clue of how I can set boot disk?

Thanks!

Hi I have  little problem with Clover but it unfortunately preventing me from using it.

First a small introduction and why I want to use Clover.

I'm not really what could be called a noob with hackintoshes.

My first hackintosh was in Tiger 10.4.something... (I found an old 10.4.8 dvd at home...)

Then 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and lately, a jump to 10.9.3 on a new configuration which is as such:

- Gigabyte Z87X UD3H

- Intel Core I7 4770

- Asus GT 640

- 16 Gb Ram

Still I'm not a guru by far, I'm none of a coder but I'm fairly good at googling and understanding most of what I read.

The 10.9.3 was done at first using chimera 3.0.1 (as in t0ny...), after a lot of random freezes, I found out it was stable if I removed the Asus GT640 and worked on the internal IGFX 4600...

Could have gone that way, but are we geeks or not?

So I decided to give a try at Clover installation was quite "difficult" mixing with "Hackintosh Vietnam Tool", clover installer package (v2kr2721) and clover configurator.

The problem I have is that I have several hard drive (a main SSD 250Gb, a backup drive 250Gb and another 160Gb raptor).

All of them have a working installation of Mavericks, time taught me that it's better to have backup disks than none...

So teh BIG problem is that, no matter what I set in config.plist or clover preference pane, the default boot volume is always the backup 250Gb disk.

I've tried switching sata cables between both, it doesn't change anything.

I've tried putting partition names or UUID, it doesn't work.

Still I'm sure that the config.plist is read as I can change the theme.

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>LegacyBiosDefault</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Mavericks_SSD</string>
<key>Log</key>
<false/>
<key>NeverHibernate</key>
<true/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
</dict>

My disks are all UEFI GPT

Any clue of how I can set boot disk?

Thanks!

Question: if your disks are all UEFI GPT, why don't you use Clover in UEFI mode?

It might go into that disk you mentioned cause it fails to load from the one you select. You can prove that by installing Clover bootloader on a USB stick and booting that partition with it.

I would suggest not to use Hackintosh Vietnam Tool for anything other than kext installs (which you probably already did). Use the package installer from sourceforge (last released version is indeed 2721).

Make sure you don't have both Chameleon and Clover on the same disk. They don't play nicely.

Hum I thought clover was used in UEFI mode... still, it's true that I wondered why there was the Legacy option (thought it was for compatibility).
And I did use HVT to set cpu model by example and I think it built my smbios (imac 14,2)
And I do have Chimera and Clover on the same drive... That's already a lot of nasty things...

Edit: And in Bios, I do boot on OSX Clover UEFI  (or some name like that)

Have you checked your Startup Disk prefpane ? I know it sounds trivial, but who knows... ;-)

Hum I thought clover was used in UEFI mode... still, it's true that I wondered why there was the Legacy option (thought it was for compatibility).

And I did use HVT to set cpu model by example and I think it built my smbios (imac 14,2)

And I do have Chimera and Clover on the same drive... That's already a lot of nasty things...

Edit: And in Bios, I do boot on OSX Clover UEFI  (or some name like that)

You did select that, but because it cannot boot from that, it goes to the next one. :) That's why I thought that making a bootable USB stick with Clover (installed in UEFI mode) and trying to boot with it, might bring some light into this messy situation. :)

You don't need HVT for that. You can use Clover Configurator to add SMBIOS information (now I even know where to get that information from :)) ).

Making an USB clover disk sounds smart.

Thanks for the idea.

And I do think it has something to do with not finding what it is looking for.

When I look in nvram.plist (maybe not the exact name but i'm not in front of my pc) I see uuid drive I don't know.

And I've tried the pref pane but with no luck.

And just to be sure I'm well understood, I do reach clover, but it's only default drive in cover that's wrong.

Thanks for the idea.

When I look in nvram.plist (maybe not the exact name but i'm not in front of my pc) I see uuid drive I don't know.

And just to be sure I'm well understood, I do reach clover, but it's only default drive in cover that's wrong.

For the boot order, I think you can also check your BIOS settings and set up the default boot drive/boot drive order (though I'm not so sure that's your problem). Also, if I'm not mistaken, Mac OS has also an option to select the boot drive (somewhere in system preferences). I can't point you to the exact location cause I'm not on my Mac right now.

Also, something you're probably aware of: Chameleon is a legacy bootloader. Clover can be both legacy or UEFI, depending on what you want and, of course, on your motherboard. And mixing these two usually causes conflicts, which I think is what you're experiencing right now. :) If the motherboard supports UEFI BIOS, I would go with Clover being installed in UEFI mode.

Thanks for the idea.

Can you attach config.plist, nvram.plist, report from "diskutil info" and Clover boot.log to have info what we are discussing?

@xhaia_debru,

You can get the log from terminal:

Type

bdmesg

and save the output as a text file eg boot.log or copy the actual file from where it is saved

sudo cp /Library/Logs/CloverEFI/boot.log ~/Desktop

to copy the file onto the desktop.

FYI, Clover uses 3 methods to decide the default boot voiume and the hierachy is

Start Up Disk in System Preferences>Last Booted Volume (both of these are NVRAM variables)>config.plist default volume

Unless you specify the IgnoreNVRAMBoot key, the NVRAM methods are given preference.  Also to ensure that your NVRAM is working,

1.install the latest Clover and make sure to install EmuVariableUEFI-64 (in Drivers64UEFI) and "Install RC scripts" on the target volume and all other bootable OSX Volumes.

2. If you run Yosemite DP2, you may have to use @pokenguyen's workaround for saving nvram.plist - type in terminal

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook /private/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

Edit beaten by @joe75 :hysterical:

• Like 1

Yeah, rushing to help, that's nice :)

Here's the bdmesg, quite big actually.

If' there's a way to reset it, please let me know, it might be more readable

Ok, so it DOES have something to do with NVRAM, because setting the IgnoreNVRAMBoot key , the defaultvolume key is read and working

bdmesg.txt

Edited by xhala_debru

It is readable enough.

See

1:860  0:000    found entry 2. 'Boot Mac OS X from Mavericks_250_Sata', Volume 'Mavericks_250_Sata'
1:860  0:000  Boot redirected to Entry 2. 'Boot Mac OS X from Mavericks_250_Sata'

Is it that you want?

In this place

<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>HD(1,GPT,A8E466E1-9563-30A0-988E-3357B8353895,0x800,0xFF000)</string>

must be NAME, for example

<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>Mavericks_250_Sata</string>

• Like 1

@arsradu,

Hackintoshing is a bit like climbing a mountain. It can be a very difficult journey (and some will not make it) but when you finally succeed, the sense of satisfaction from finally reaching your destination/goal can be immense and the view is fantastic!

Thanks for the feedback and letting us know what worked and what did not. It helps the community as a whole :).

Regards

fusion

PS The logout hook by @pokenguyen to save nvram.plist doesn't cause any adverse effects to my machine so I'm not really sure what's causing the reboots for your system. Maybe poke can provide a clue .... ;)

Hey, man

I made a few interesting discoveries.

1. Looks like you were right (I'm not surprised :) ). I talked to poke and he said it could be the dsdt or some clover drivers... Now, I never touched the dsdt cause I never had to. And the drivers are identical. The only difference is that, this time, I selected to add RC scripts as you suggested. Not sure if that can cause this issue (reboot instead of shutdown).

2. Guess what? If you're running the shutdown command in terminal, it shuts down, for good.

I ran this:

sudo shutdown -h now
And it shuts down just fine.

So...I'm not sure what's the problem in doing that from the UI.

Update on this: the command line method doean't seem to work anymore.

3. Poke gave me the command to remove the hook (for testing purposes, to see if that causes it or not).

Using this command:

sudo defaults delete com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook
And...amazingly enough for me, the nvram.plist file is still there where I left it (even after restart) amd iMessage is still working. Now, I'm not sure if I needed that command in the first place or if, from some weird reason (cache maybe), I don't need it anymore.

Thing is that, even without the hook, the shutdown issue still occurs.

So..any idea? Is there any point in comparing our DSDTs? Did you change anything in there? What are your thoughts on this issue?

I attached the nvram.plist in case it's of any use to anyone. Maybe something in there tells the system to reboot when told to shurdown.

nvram.plist.zip

So just little update on the issue I was having with Messages giving me an error saying 1+(xxx)xxx-xxxx isn't registered with iMessage, I downloaded iOS 8 for my iPhone 5 and upgraded and now Messages on Yosemite are working

Hey, man

I made a few interesting discoveries.

1. Looks like you were right (I'm not surprised :) ). I talked to poke and he said it could be the dsdt or some clover drivers... Now, I never touched the dsdt cause I never had to. And the drivers are identical. The only difference is that, this time, I selected to add RC scripts as you suggested. Not sure if that can cause this issue (reboot instead of shutdown).

2. Guess what? If you're running the shutdown command in terminal, it shuts down, for good.

I ran this:

sudo shutdown -h now
And it shuts down just fine.

So...I'm not sure what's the problem in doing that from the UI.

Update on this: the command line method doean't seem to work anymore.

3. Poke gave me the command to remove the hook (for testing purposes, to see if that causes it or not).

Using this command:

sudo defaults delete com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook
And...amazingly enough for me, the nvram.plist file is still there where I left it (even after restart) amd iMessage is still working. Now, I'm not sure if I needed that command in the first place or if, from some weird reason (cache maybe), I don't need it anymore.

Thing is that, even without the hook, the shutdown issue still occurs.

So..any idea? Is there any point in comparing our DSDTs? Did you change anything in there? What are your thoughts on this issue?

I attached the nvram.plist in case it's of any use to anyone. Maybe something in there tells the system to reboot when told to shurdown.

The reboot problem could also be due to some compatibility problem between the Clover launch daemon (/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.projectosx.clover.daemon.plist) &/or the shutdown script (private/etc/rc.boot.d/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local) and Yosemite DP2.  I'm not so sure it is DSDT related because

1. You didn't have the problem before you installed the RC scripts (and Clover launch daemon)

2. You can shutdown properly using the terminal command

sudo shutdown -h now

as opposed to shutting down from the Apple menu which might allow the Clover launch daemon to do something on your system that Yosemite DP2 doesn't like.

Some suggestions to diagnose the problem:

1. Try the same thing in Mavericks (with the RC scripts installed) and see if the reboot on shutdown occurs via the Apple menu.

2. Look with the console to the files clover.daemon.log, rc.boot.log and rc.shutdown.log to check if the daemon is working correctly (see @JrCs post).

3. You can manually kill the Clover Daemon before trying to shutdown the computer through the Apple menu quote @pokenguyen

ps -ax
kill xxxx  #(PID of /bin/bash /Library/Application Support/Clover/CloverDaemon)

4. You can temporarily disable the nvram logout script quote @JrCs "If you don't want some scripts to be started at all, rename it with .disabled extension"

sudo mv /etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local /etc/rc.boot.d/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local.disabled

5. Try patching your native DSDT through Clover's config.plist eg for my machine (might be different for your machine)

or manually eg refer to @pokenguyen's AIO guide, @pjalm's DSDT patches for Gigabyte mobos, DSDT Editor.

Re the mystery of NVRAM.plist:

The Clover Daemon (and Poke's logout hook) basically enable the 80.save_nvram_plist.local script to run at shutdown and save any changes to NVRAM that have occurred since the last time the system was booted up.

When you disable the Daemon/Poke's logout hook, it will prevent any updates to the NVRAM from being recorded and saved in the NVRAM.plist file eg if you boot your Yosemite partition after you boot into Mavericks, Clover won't remember that the last booted volume was Yosemite and will try to boot into the last saved volume in NVRAM ie Mavericks.

Your iMessage is still working because you haven't deleted the nvram.plist file (save a copy somewhere because it contains a snapshot of your system when iMessages was working :)).  Had you disabled poke's logout hook and the 80.save_nvram_plist.local script on your Yosemite volume in the clean install state (when the nvram.plist file didn't exist), then it would not have saved the nvram.plist file in the first place ----> won't remember the system state that enabled you to successfully activate your iMessages. 

The good news is that since you have successfully activated iMessages and already have a snapshot of a "good" working NVRAM configuration in the nvram.plist, you can probably disable the Clover launch daemon & RC scripts without any ill effects (as long as you don't delete the nvram.plist file), excluding the fact that any further changes to NVRAM won't be saved (last booted volume etc).

Have a look at @lebowski1970's technique for saving NVRAM and @Rampagdev's writeup on iMessages which is based on it - he is essentially using a static nvram.plist to keep iMessages working (in this case the file name is "nvram.log") ---> preserve the NVRAM variables necessary for activation but not recording any changes from boot to boot.

• Like 1