Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Oops sorry, wrong file.

Yes, well I presume the Clover version I'm using has that included.

No problem. I thought so.

This basically means that csrutil works because Clover bypasses the sandbox and entitlement checks, which also means that it is not as secure as what Apple is offering. The booter configuration value is dead wrong for the Recovery HD. It's not what Clover is using right now (kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig/kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot) but (kBootArgsFlagCSRConfigMode/kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot along with CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION). Hope this help ;)

This basically means that csrutil works because Clover bypasses the sandbox and entitlement checks, which also means that it is not as secure as what Apple is offering. The booter configuration value is dead wrong for the Recovery HD. It's not what Clover is using right now (kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig/kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot) but (kBootArgsFlagCSRConfigMode/kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot along with CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION). Hope this help ;)

Ah. okay.

Well Nvram.c seems pretty will integrated in to Clover and I don’t think I can create a version without it.

Weird. I never could get csrutil enable/disable from RecoveryHD to work.

Working here booting with either legacy or UEFI.

post-331032-0-52272700-1443218637_thumb.jpg

post-331032-0-30354100-1443218649_thumb.jpg

I noticed that CustomLogo=true/false doesn't seem to make a difference. 

I was expecting CustomLogo=false to remove the Apple logo on the boot screen. Isn't that what it does (for Yosemite).

I'm running 10.10.5

Please get ready for a noob :P

I've alway run cham on my installs as i'm still on bios based mobos

last night i wanted to give a go to clover becose on a particular machine there was no way to make cham boot a recursive error on memory and impossibility to proceed. machine must shut down :D

So made my usb boot stick with clover, installed everything was ok but no audio, using clover on USB to boot..

Next obviously installed latest clover on HD and modified a bit the config to have everything working or at least that was my purpose...

On restart audio was there, so i was satisfied about it, Now what happened its very strange.

on launching any app i noticed that the beachball was so fat i found it hilarious like something was boosting some process i couldnt verify, what really made me suspicious was when playing movies or audios files images sounds everithing is accelerated as when you play something at 3 or 4x.

My question is: has anybody here ever experienced such a thing?

Can this be related to some error into the config file? (there is where i believe the problem is)

Rebooting and using the usb drive to boot all back to normal.

Any hint on where go put my nose to solve this?

pretty please :P

PS

do not look at my specs as they are there since Jas was here, i'm a romantic guy you know,

Please get ready for a noob :P

I've alway run cham on my installs as i'm still on bios based mobos

last night i wanted to give a go to clover becose on a particular machine there was no way to make cham boot a recursive error on memory and impossibility to proceed. machine must shut down :D

So made my usb boot stick with clover, installed everything was ok but no audio, using clover on USB to boot..

Next obviously installed latest clover on HD and modified a bit the config to have everything working or at least that was my purpose...

On restart audio was there, so i was satisfied about it, Now what happened its very strange.

on launching any app i noticed that the beachball was so fat i found it hilarious like something was boosting some process i couldnt verify, what really made me suspicious was when playing movies or audios files images sounds everithing is accelerated as when you play something at 3 or 4x.

My question is: has anybody here ever experienced such a thing?

Can this be related to some error into the config file? (there is where i believe the problem is)

Rebooting and using the usb drive to boot all back to normal.

Any hint on where go put my nose to solve this?

pretty please :P

PS

do not look at my specs as they are there since Jas was here, i'm a romantic guy you know,

weird indeed. Well if you think it's your config.plist (which might as well be) you could try uploading it here so we can take a look.
  • Like 1

Would it be possible to create a own kext folder for the recovery partition?

Because i´ve the FakeSMC in /S/L/E on my Systems.

So it would be great to have a own folder for the recovery drive.

Why don't you use Clover/kexts/10.x and inject your kexts this way?

• Like 1

How do we default to the last booted volume now?  I like to use Clover as my main boot manager and it'd be useful to boot straight to Windows upon reboot, for example, if I'm currently using my PC as a Windows machine.

It used to be that you added LastBootedVolume to the DefaultVolume setting, but this no longer works.  I can't find it now but there was some changelog saying it was removed in favour of the nvram setting via the startup disk panel.  Well I tried setting a default there but that doesn't work either... but either way I'd rather it just remembered what I last selected at the boot screen!

Thx mate it would be a great help, at least to know if there's a real possibility it is causing this behaviour

config

Ok, make a backup of your current config.plist. After that, replace that config with the one in the attachment (yours, but cleaned up a little bit).

See if that makes a difference. Depending on your audio patching method, you might or might not have sound right now. But the changes I made should not have affected that. Anyway, first let's see if the fast spinning ball and the other weird things that you were experiencing are still there. And we can talk about sound later.

Just a note: you don't need to specify everything in your config. And more often than not, you won't need to specify anything. Clover automatically detects your hardware and applies the needed patches for your system. If you try to force it into something your system can't do, or shouldn't be able to do, weird things happen. :)

And another one: start small. Start with minimum settings/fixes. And try to use the ones that you need. See if that's ok for your system. If it is, leave it as it is and just enjoy.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Cause you might break it instead.

You can take a look at the configuration page here. See what YOU might need for your system (if anything).

Also, please, update your signature, if that information is not accurate, so we can see what we're dealing with here.

config.plist.zip

• Like 4

Weird. I never could get csrutil enable/disable from RecoveryHD to work.

Take into account that csr-active-config is in NVRAM that is common for all partitions including Recovery.

• Like 1

Ok, make a backup of your current config.plist. After that, replace that config with the one in the attachment (yours, but cleaned up a little bit).

See if that makes a difference. Depending on your audio patching method, you might or might not have sound right now. But the changes I made should not have affected that. Anyway, first let's see if the fast spinning ball and the other weird things that you were experiencing are still there. And we can talk about sound later.

Just a note: you don't need to specify everything in your config. And more often than not, you won't need to specify anything. Clover automatically detects your hardware and applies the needed patches for your system. If you try to force it into something your system can't do, or shouldn't be able to do, weird things happen. :)

And another one: start small. Start with minimum settings/fixes. And try to use the ones that you need. See if that's ok for your system. If it is, leave it as it is and just enjoy.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Cause you might break it instead.

You can take a look at the configuration page here. See what YOU might need for your system (if anything).

Also, please, update your signature, if that information is not accurate, so we can see what we're dealing with here.

Thank you very much for your quick reply..

i guess you'r right saying sometimes the less is the best..

I already gave a look at the page you linked and there started the mess :P

Probably only a few hours spent there aren't enough for an old fart like me :D

So i'm going to try the config you kindly modded and give a feedback 

----------------------------------------------------->  Update :

Done!

Excellent now with your plist everything is back to normal..

no more hyper-spin, audio and video plays normally..

THANK YOU!!!

Take into account that csr-active-config is in NVRAM that is common for all partitions including Recovery.

Nope. Trust me when I say this; the value is 0x80 for the RecoveryOS, but Apple masked it with 0x7f so that we won't get to see it.

Oops. My mistake. Make that: (kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig + kBootArgsFlagCSRConfigMode + kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot) for the RecoveryOS. Otherwise csrutil status will always report "enabled" only.

• Like 3

I'm trying to move the device injections on my X79 from a ssdt to Clover config. There wasn't really much to do (GFX, USB, SBUS) but I can't get HDEF to inject.

Clover is injecting the properties (layout id and pinconfig) but the device doesn't appear under IOService in IORegistryExplorer. Instead, if I search for HDEF it shows up under IOACPIPlane and IODeviceTree under device UNC0.

Under DSDT Fixes I have AddDTGP_0001 and FixHDA_8000. Under Devices I have Audio injecting layout id 1.

What am I doing wrong? Do i need to be dropping anything?

I'm trying to move the device injections on my X79 from a ssdt to Clover config. There wasn't really much to do (GFX, USB, SBUS) but I can't get HDEF to inject.

Clover is injecting the properties (layout id and pinconfig) but the device doesn't appear under IOService in IORegistryExplorer. Instead, if I search for HDEF it shows up under IOACPIPlane and IODeviceTree under device UNC0.

Under DSDT Fixes I have AddDTGP_0001 and FixHDA_8000. Under Devices I have Audio injecting layout id 1.

What am I doing wrong? Do i need to be dropping anything?

Compare DSDT before and after fixes.

The injected HDEF entry looks correct to me. It's just in the wrong place.

With DSDT/SSDT injection it's PCI0->HDEF because that's how I can define it.

With the Clover injection it gets put into PCI0->^UNC0->HDEF. My original DSDT doesn't have a HDEF/AZAL entry of any kind (unlike my Z68). And if I try searching for 1B0000 to find the hardware address it finds nothing.

For the record, this is all I need to do to inject it via SSDT:

Scope (\_SB)

{
        Scope (PCI0)
        {
            Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (Zero) {}
                        }, Local0)
                    MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

I've attached a shot of the Clover-injected DSDT so you can see where it's putting the HDEF device.

post-267996-0-93433800-1443436393_thumb.png

Hello Blackosx

Are these values still valid now that OS X El Capitan 10.11 GM has been released? I've personally used 0x11 & 0x77 without any issues but didn't know if Apple might have changed the source again.

hex     n/a    nvram  dtrace intern debug  pid    fs     kexts  nvram csr-active-config
csrutil enabled --no-internal       00      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      %00%00%00%00
csrutil enabled                     10      0      0      0      1      0      0      0      0      %10%00%00%00
csrutil enable —-without kext       11      0      0      0      1      0      0      0      1      %11%00%00%00
csrutil enable —-without fs         12      0      0      0      1      0      0      1      0      %12%00%00%00
csrutil enable —-without debug      14      0      0      0      1      0      1      0      0      %14%00%00%00
csrutil enable —-without dtrace     30      0      0      1      1      0      0      0      0      0%00%00%00
csrutil enable —-without nvram      50      0      1      0      1      0      0      0      0      P%00%00%00
csrutil disabled                    77      0      1      1      1      0      1      1      1      w%00%00%00

Other settings
disabled (no internal)              67      0      1      1      0      0      1      1      1      g%00%00%00

Since OS X El Capitan's released date is just around the corner, I though having a little cheat sheet with the csr-active-config (System Integrity Protection) values might be helpful.

Attached you'll find my PDF with all of the currently available values from the research done by Blackosx (and others).

post-1055078-0-83864700-1443464201_thumb.png

Thanks everyone else who has tested Apple's new security feature with Hackintosh hardware and providing feedback!

Gratitude,

Robert aka Mrengles

Edit: If Apple updates or changes these values for any reason, I'll do my best to keep everything up-to-date!

csr-active-config.pdf

• Like 4