Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I managed to update my machine to El Capitan. Only problem is, I can't boot it with Clover on EFI. The Clover revision it's loading is 3197. I have a separate USB stick with the exact same config.plist on the latest 3270 revision and this can boot. I've cleaned out the EFI partition, copied everything from USB to EFI and still revision 3197 comes up at boot. Is there any way to do this more rigid?

I managed to update my machine to El Capitan. Only problem is, I can't boot it with Clover on EFI. The Clover revision it's loading is 3197. I have a separate USB stick with the exact same config.plist on the latest 3270 revision and this can boot. I've cleaned out the EFI partition, copied everything from USB to EFI and still revision 3197 comes up at boot. Is there any way to do this more rigid?

did you check the box for installation in the ESP?

Okay, I have a simple question. Will my hackintosh work using Clover if I upgrade to El Capitan? That's it, that's all I need to know.

I've been following the discussion here for weeks and it is highly technical, far above my understanding. I still don't know if I should upgrade or what I should do if I upgrade. Do i need to turn off SIP? What does that mean for the security of my machine? Where do I put my kexts? Will they inject properly? I hope someone can post a simple guide.

I only have three kext in the 10.10 folder now: FakeSMC, realtekALC, and RealktekRTL8111 and a bunch of kext patches in my config.plist (Audio, TRIM, USB 3.0, external icon patch)

Okay, I have a simple question. Will my hackintosh work using Clover if I upgrade to El Capitan? That's it, that's all I need to know.

I've been following the discussion here for weeks and it is highly technical, far above my understanding. I still don't know if I should upgrade or what I should do if I upgrade. Do i need to turn off SIP? What does that mean for the security of my machine? Where do I put my kexts? Will they inject properly? I hope someone can post a simple guide.

I only have three kext in the 10.10 folder now: FakeSMC, realtekALC, and RealktekRTL8111 and a bunch of kext patches in my config.plist (Audio, TRIM, USB 3.0, external icon patch)

Short answer, yes. If it worked with Yosemite, it will work with El Capitan as well.

You need to add Rt Variables in Clover Configurator for your config.plist as follows: 0x28 for BooterConfig and 0x67 for CsrActiveConfig.

As I said above, 0x67 will allow access to a lot of things. It will surely get you past the installation and post-installation steps. If you're worried about your system security, although I see no reason for that, when you're done with everything, you can switch 0x67 into 0x0 to enable SIP. Note that this setting will be cached until you remove kext caches manually or the next update does it. Which means that, before you update, you might want to switch it back to 0x67 or another value that will temporary disable SIP (meaning something above 0x0).

Kexts need to be in Clover/kexts/10.11. And yes, they will inject properly, as long as you let the system do it (by setting CSR values to at least 0x1, which will allow loading unsigned kexts). Higher values mean higher access level.

A small step by step, if I would want to upgrade to El Capitan (which I already did, but anyway, if I were you):

1. Update Clover

2. Set RTVariables to 0x28 for BooterConfig and 0x67 for CsrActiveConfig and save the changes to config. They won't affect Yosemite anyway.

3. Move/copy kexts from 10.10 to 10.11

4. Update to El Capitan

5. Re-install Clover

6. Optional: depending on your patching method, you might need to re-patch your sound.

• Like 1

i agree with arsradu - it will just work with the possible exception of your USB3 ports. don't forget to upgrade to latest Clover so it will support these new Rt vars

Kext topic -

Note: putting custom kexts in Clover/kexts/Other is good alternative location since it version agnostic. I delete all the 10.x folders as most of the custom kexts are version agnostic with the exception kexts dealing with  Audio and Bluetooth... But then again my use the EFI kext location is for USB Installer or Recovery support (core set of kexts e.g. FakeSMC and PS2 controller ) and put the full set of custom kexts in /Library/Extensions 

Slice had recently posed a question of sorts on the idea of a common kext directory + version specific directory (and clover looks in both) vs just just finding a  version specific location and reading from just that.

i vote yes for clover reading common and version specific!  

@arsradu,

Don't shoot the messenger, but this is wrong. On a Mac that is 0x38/56 and 0x80/128 for the installation process, and 0x8/8 and 0x0/0 for regular boots.

lol. I wasn't gonna :P. And I surely appreciate another opinion.

In fact, I wasn't sure why it's 0x28 for BooterConfig... I just always used these values for both the installation and for regular boots/snickers. :) And never had any issues with either one of them.

So you're saying 0x38 for booterconfig and 0x80 for CsrActiveConfig for installation? Did I get this right? I'm not an expert, and I prefer to make double sure I understood something correctly before going any further.

lol. I wasn't gonna :P. And I surely appreciate another opinion.

In fact, I wasn't sure why it's 0x28 for BooterConfig... I just always used these values for both the installation and for regular boots/snickers. :) And never had any issues with either one of them.

So you're saying 0x38 for booterconfig and 0x80 for CsrActiveConfig for installation? Did I get this right? I'm not an expert, and I prefer to make double sure I understood something correctly before going any further.

Here's some background info what bootbase.efi does. Let's start with the booter configuration:

kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig (0x8/8) informs OS X that the device has a valid configuration.

kBootArgsFlagCSRConfigMode (0x10/16) informs OS X that the device is in configuration mode.

kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot (0x20/32) asks OS X to allow everything.

That, along with the special flag CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION (0x80/128) is used by bootbase.efi (and nothing else) for the installation process. If the installation process is ready, then the normal boot.efi is being used by bless for the next reboot. After that only kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig (0x8/8) is used.

You can do a grep for 'bootbase.efi' in /.IABootfiles/boot.efi or /OS X Install Data/boot.efi (depending on the type of installation) and see for yourself. bootbase.efi has SIP disabled with the above flags ;)

p.s. Now you say; but I don't see 0x80 in csr-active-config. Right. masked with 0x7f. Thanks Apple!

• Like 3

Short answer, yes. If it worked with Yosemite, it will work with El Capitan as well.

You need to add Rt Variables in Clover Configurator for your config.plist as follows: 0x28 for BooterConfig and 0x67 for CsrActiveConfig.

As I said above, 0x67 will allow access to a lot of things. It will surely get you past the installation and post-installation steps. If you're worried about your system security, although I see no reason for that, when you're done with everything, you can switch 0x67 into 0x0 to enable SIP. Note that this setting will be cached until you remove kext caches manually or the next update does it. Which means that, before you update, you might want to switch it back to 0x67 or another value that will temporary disable SIP (meaning something above 0x0).

Kexts need to be in Clover/kexts/10.11. And yes, they will inject properly, as long as you let the system do it (by setting CSR values to at least 0x1, which will allow loading unsigned kexts). Higher values mean higher access level.

A small step by step, if I would want to upgrade to El Capitan (which I already did, but anyway, if I were you):

1. Update Clover

2. Set RTVariables to 0x28 for BooterConfig and 0x67 for CsrActiveConfig and save the changes to config. They won't affect Yosemite anyway.

4. Update to El Capitan

5. Re-install Clover

6. Optional: depending on your patching method, you might need to re-patch your sound.

Wonderful, this is perfect. I'll wait to see how the BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig values play out then update next week. This is a production machine and it's gotta place nice with all my apps :)

I think I am using Toleda's audio patch althougj I remember adding the values myself and not his script. This is what I have in config.plist now:

AppleHDA Find: 786D6C2E7A6C Replace: 7A6D6C2E7A6C Comment: t1-10.9-10.10-AppleHDA/Resouces/xml>zml

AppleHDA Find: 8B19D411     Replace: 8508EC10     Comment: t1-110.0-10.10-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC885 (Optional)

Wonderful, this is perfect. I'll wait to see how the BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig values play out then update next week. This is a production machine and it's gotta place nice with all my apps :)

I think I am using Toleda's audio patch althougj I remember adding the values myself and not his script. This is what I have in config.plist now:

AppleHDA Find: 786D6C2E7A6C Replace: 7A6D6C2E7A6C Comment: t1-10.9-10.10-AppleHDA/Resouces/xml>zml

AppleHDA Find: 8B19D411     Replace: 8508EC10     Comment: t1-110.0-10.10-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC885 (Optional)

You're welcome!

I prefer the script. It just automates everything. But if that worked for you before, I see no reason why it shouldn't continue to work from now on.

As for the installation, Pike's idea works just fine for me, as well. So I guess you could just as well use that. :)

• Like 1

@arsradu,

Don't shoot the messenger, but this is wrong. On a Mac that is 0x38/56 and 0x80/128 for the installation process, and 0x8/8 and 0x0/0 for regular boots.

Forgive me for being thick, but do I enter "0x38/56" in BooterConfig or is 38-56 a range of numbers? Therefore I would only enter "0x38" or "0x39", etc? Same for CsrActiveConfig values 0x80/128.

1. Update Clover

4. Update to El Capitan

5. Re-install Clover

Oh and I guess I have to uncheck "kext-dev-mode=1" in boot arguments as well?

Quick question here.

I have skimmed trough the posts here and can't really find a clear answer on this:

If I only inject FakeSMC.kext (+plugins) from EFI, do I need to bother with SIP/CSR at all? I'm not using another single tweak on this hack, everything is OOTB.

Just updated to 10.11 without bothering with it and it seems to work. It should work as it never loads in to the cache, but I might be wrong? I guess I should do my own research but I know my self and I would just end up sitting hours trying to figureing it all out to the last bit ;)

Quick question here.

I have skimmed trough the posts here and can't really find a clear answer on this:

If I only inject FakeSMC.kext (+plugins) from EFI, do I need to bother with SIP/CSR at all? I'm not using another single tweak on this hack, everything is OOTB.

Just updated to 10.11 without bothering with it and it seems to work. It should work as it never loads in to the cache, but I might be wrong? I guess I should do my own research but I know my self and I would just end up sitting hours trying to figureing it all out to the last bit ;)

Your answer is, the newer clover revision adds the necessary flags to deactivate SIP completely (, which is a whole security hole IMHO,), even if you don't have the flags in config.plist. What you can do is either comment the code out and recompile clover for yourself, of set the Flags in RtVariables to activate SIP.

Hi, I think I am doing everything right (I'm noob though), I set bootconfig and csractiveconfig to 0x28 and 0x67 and also copy kexts to 10.11 folder, yet when I do a direct mac store upgrade or even a clean install from a usb, I get a kernel panic. This is weird! I been using clover ( now on r3270) on my HP pavilion p6230in (+gtx 750 ti) since mavericks and never did I encouter a kernel panic. I am lost!

post-1599950-0-07553600-1443842778_thumb.jpeg

You can see how it's done here. The devices names may have to be the same length (I'm not completely sure about this).

Thanks Riley,

I wound up having to use a ssdt to fix my X79 USB2 ports for el cap because simply renaming the ports wasn't enough.

Your answer is, the newer clover revision adds the necessary flags to deactivate SIP completely (, which is a whole security hole IMHO,), even if you don't have the flags in config.plist. What you can do is either comment the code out and recompile clover for yourself, of set the Flags in RtVariables to activate SIP.

Yeah. I did read that somewhere. But still, I have a hard time believing thats the case. Csrutil says enabled and nvram -p says bootercfg %00%00, csr-active-config %00%00%00%00