Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

about "kernel_task" I'm posted a few week ago.. and I think not only in "our kernel" cause in real mac have an issue about kernel_task too 

.. and just report try with XBMC player ... click n then disappear (just like 1'st andy mountain kernel)

Yes I've been running Mavericks side by side on my Phenom... and my i7 w/ Vanilla Kernel and they both have the same kind of memory usage... no difference at all really.

After a while they both settle down to 1.7 to 2 Gb or so... 

Hello friends, I installed osx 10.9 on my Atlhon 64 x2 5000 +, the only problem is iocne pink Launchpad. here's a video demonstration:

what chipset and MB model you have and how much ram?

Chipset Nforce , 6GB Ram DDR2.

This is not the correct place for support. Posts have been deleted. Please post in the appropiate forum.

Thanks

• Like 2

This is not the correct place for support. Posts have been deleted. Please post in the appropiate forum.

sorry for flood but

I want to understand why no one kernel for 10.9 does not run on my hardware.

you can delete it post.

This is not the correct place for support. Posts have been deleted. Please post...

Ok, Shaneee I've got a question to you about Mato79 video.

Why do not we all have problems with dirty icons on the dock and on the desktop?

I remember someone saying (maybe you) that the issue with dirty icons are only on Athlons and older processors. Phenoms do not have this problem.

This guy (Mato79) on his video doesn't have blur icons issue...so I don't understand it.

To be clear - I am waiting only to correct this error (I'm still working on Snow Leopard instead of the Mavericks ;))

For better understanding - this is an example of icon bug: post-1100208-0-88628400-1385659578.png

EDIT: His processor is AMD Athlon X2 just like mine (only a little bit slower)

Edited by tragediana150
  • Like 1

Why do not we all have problems with dirty icons on the dock and on the desktop?

I remember someone saying (maybe you) that the issue with dirty icons are only on Athlons and older processors. Phenoms do not have this problem.

This guy (Mato79) on his video doesn't have blur icons issue...so I don't understand it.

To be clear - I am waiting only to correct this error (I'm still working on Snow Leopard instead of the Mavericks ;))

For better understanding - this is an example of icon bug: attachicon.gifpost-1100208-0-79310700-1384384200.png

:)

impossible to determine at the moment, probably due to the missing L3 cache though very hypothetical, the core2duo without L3 cache works fine.

Mystery ........................

• Like 1

.. and just report try with XBMC player ... click n then disappear (just like 1'st andy mountain kernel)

yup!  same issue for me too

the XBMC won't start (it just closes instantly) under osx Mavericks

with both AnV & Bronya 's kernels (the latest & earlier ones)

but it can run properly under osx ML 10.8.5 with the latest Bronya's kernel

EDIT

ISSUE SOLVED !!!  ;)

the latest BETA build of XBMC works well with osx Mavericks + Bronya's latest kernel

Screen_Shot_2013_11_29_at_1_18_23_AM.png

• Like 1

For better understanding - this is an example of icon bug: attachicon.gifpost-1100208-0-79310700-1384384200.png

I think it is something related to the way the kernel handles the caching on AMD CPUs. I have the same on my Athlon but on a FX I installed on for a friend only had the launchpad issue.

I'm not promising anything but I have a bit of spare time so will try learn some of the code involved and see if I can work it out.

• Like 1

So from my tests, I realized that only a few images give the problem, other images will not cause problems. here are my pictures:

2hoa138.png

29cp4e9.png

9fqjar.png

Matto79  Is your clock working properly?  On my athlonX2 64  3800+ with nvidia chipset the clock is running jumping back and forth in time!! 

Seems to be a timing or maybe some of the new app shut down features not working....

My clock is fine, have you seen my videos? . Before even my clock went crazy, then I used the following boot flags "cpus = 1 busratio = 13 NPCI = 0x2000", I used Chameleon boot loadere 2.2svn (svn-r2266), and Extra-Extensions folder I installed the following kext: EvOreboot.kext, FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext. Now the clock is fine.

zui989.png

2h3qyj8.png

n4yuxg.png

Ok - looks like cpus=1 and bus ratio=X (10 for me) has fixed the clock jumping on

my Athlon64 X2 3800+ !

Still have pink icons sometimes, and fuzzy icons on desktop still.. but time is good.. THANKS

So it must be something to do with TSCSynch between the 2 cores .... although audio and video was fine...

Dans

Dans1975, on 28 Nov 2013 - 6:33 PM, said:

Matto79 Is your clock working properly? On my athlonX2 64 3800+ with nvidia chipset the clock is running jumping back and forth in time!!

Seems to be a timing or maybe some of the new app shut down features not working....

My clock is fine, have you seen my videos? . Before even my clock went crazy, then I used the following boot flags "cpus = 1 busratio = 13 NPCI = 0x2000", I used Chameleon boot loadere 2.2svn (svn-r2266), and Extra-Extensions folder I installed the following kext: EvOreboot.kext, FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext. Now the clock is fine.

Confirm with older AMD Athlon64 X2 (family 15) cpus = 1 > clock ok cpus=2 clock unstable.

Some time kernel_task consume 200% CPU , and make my computer become very lagging. My CPU is Athlon 64 x2 7450. I have tried all the kernel, but none can solve this.

Thanks to Rhys Oxenham

I found a temporary solution for the "kernel task" issue

1. go to this directory

cd " /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources"

2. find your Model Identifier by opening System Info or running this command

system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep "Model Identifier:"

3. find if the .plist file of your Model Identifier exists in the directory (step #1)

e.g. my model is iMac11,2  --->  then I have to find the iMac11_2.plist   <---  note: change iMac11,2 to iMac11_2 (with underscore "_")

ls iMac11_2.plist

or

ls "/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/iMac11_2.plist"

4. if it exists, backup the .plist to your backup directory & delete the original one

sudo mv iMac11_2.plist ~/desktop

or

sudo mv "/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/iMac11_2.plist" ~/desktop

5. restart your pc

NOTES:

it would appear that the system may also use another plist in the directory,

therefore removing all of the plists may also work too.

It’s likely that this kext will get updated in the future by Apple in their update packs

and as a result will replace the file you deleted/moved

therefore you may have to repeat this process in the future

TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

Thanks to Rhys Oxenham

I found a temporary solution for the "kernel task" issue

1. go to this directory

cd " /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources"

2. find your Model Identifier by opening System Info or running this command

system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep "Model Identifier:"

3. find if the .plist file of your Model Identifier exists in the directory (step #1)

e.g. my model is iMac11,2  --->  then I have to find the iMac11_2.plist   <---  note: change iMac11,2 to iMac11_2 (with underscore "_")

ls iMac11_2.plist

or

ls "/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/iMac11_2.plist"

4. if it exists, backup the .plist to your backup directory & delete the original one

sudo mv iMac11_2.plist ~/desktop

or

sudo mv "/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/iMac11_2.plist" ~/desktop

5. restart your pc

NOTES:

it would appear that the system may also use another plist in the directory,

therefore removing all of the plists may also work too.

It’s likely that this kext will get updated in the future by Apple in their update packs

and as a result will replace the file you deleted/moved

therefore you may have to repeat this process in the future

TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

Thank you! I had removed the plist file last week, but it was no use. May be I should try to remove all the plist files. I will try this.

Ok - looks like cpus=1 and bus ratio=X (10 for me) has fixed the clock jumping on

my Athlon64 X2 3800+ !

Still have pink icons sometimes, and fuzzy icons on desktop still.. but time is good.. THANKS

So it must be something to do with TSCSynch between the 2 cores .... although audio and video was fine...

Dans

Dans1975, on 28 Nov 2013 - 6:33 PM, said:

Matto79 Is your clock working properly? On my athlonX2 64 3800+ with nvidia chipset the clock is running jumping back and forth in time!!

Confirm with older AMD Athlon64 X2 (family 15) cpus = 1 > clock ok cpus=2 clock unstable.

Have you edited VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext for your core count? I posted this a while back but I'll repeat it. Copy the Kext to your desktop, right click and click Show Package Contents, then open Contents, then edit the Info.plist.... Change IOCPUNumber=1 (for dual core, as it counts from 0) save. Reinstall VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext (I use Kext Utility) - NOTE TAKEN FROM voodooprojects.org: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/voodootscsync/

The dock refresh doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.

I haven't done much, still running on the latest kernel from Bronya. All I've done is installed Photoshop, command line tools, Node Package Manager and Cloudnode command line tools. Its quite weird.

• Like 1

Have you edited VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext for your core count? I posted this a while back but I'll repeat it. Copy the Kext to your desktop, right click and click Show Package Contents, then open Contents, then edit the Info.plist.... Change IOCPUNumber=1 (for dual core, as it counts from 0) save. Reinstall VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext (I use Kext Utility) - NOTE TAKEN FROM voodooprojects.org: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/voodootscsync/

No I have not edited anything.

Summary of my system:
My hardware and bootloader are signed.
OS Installed: Mavericks 10.9
Kernel in use: rc4 fix
Audio: ok
Video: ok
clock : ok
Applications used: ok
Icons Launchpad: pink problem, is solved with the change of resolution for a few seconds
Start: a little slow

icon bug : Small blurs with the file. Png and. Jpg

I am waiting for any solutions.

Summary of my system:

Kernel Flags: npci=0x2000 USBLegacyOff=Yes
OS Installed: Mavericks 10.9
Kernel in use: rc4 fix
Audio: Front and HDMI
Video: OOB low FPS
clock : ok
Applications used: some rar crashes
Icons Launchpad: pink problem (since I changed from GT 240 GE=On to GT 610 GE=Off)
Start: slow

icon bug : Small blurs with the file .Png and .Jpg

Stability: Sometimes the system just freezes (VERY annoying)

If you need more specs just ask. Computer specs in the signature below. No special .kext so far.

The dock refresh doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.

I haven't done much, still running on the latest kernel from Bronya. All I've done is installed Photoshop, command line tools, Node Package Manager and Cloudnode command line tools. Its quite weird.

Do you mean Launchpad Refresh? If so maybe you are running an older version and your system has 2 .db now... Anyway if so here we are again

No I have not edited anything.

Try edit it as I said and reboot without cpus=1 and see if it changes anything. The default one I downloaded was set to 6 cores (which is fine by my spec).

RC4 slowed the clock for me some but it's still fast. Pink launchpad icons. Desktop items lettering gets graphical glitching. Flash video above 360p in either safari or srwareiron = haywire color orgy. Flash video in firefox works above 360p, but after 10~15 seconds the vids freeze. No audio working yet. 

Hardware = phenom ii x4 820, gtx 660. Cinebench in windows = 58 fps, in mavericks = 38 fps (ouch!)

Anyway, it's functional and I am most pleased. GJ! 

forgot to mention the freezes. There's been a few kp's. Notably when playing a .mp4 with vlc and opening the clock settings. Other kp's both happened with vlc and / or flash + some type of vid open. Quicktime won't play squat but I think it's cuz I have audio drivers installed just not working correctly? shrug