iTunes 7 - Official Problem Thread

pro547

330 posts in this topic

For me iTunes 7 is not running too on my SSE2 maschine. How can i downgrade to iTunes 6.0.5? I tried Desinstaller without success.

Hope you can help me.

Cu Spaceman

Appzap itunes, delete the iTunes 7 package in the Library/Reciepts folder and then find a copy of iTunes 6.0.5, you can rip it from on of the install discs or find it online. I'm not sure but I think one of the packages in the reciept folder should be for iTunes 6 so you can try that but only do so at your own risk, because I don't know if it'll work but it should be fine.

To reinstall itunes 6x, try the following

Download the programme "Pacifist".

Insert instal CD

Run Pacifist

Ignore the trial error message.

Click Open Apple Install Packages

Locate the iTunes package

Click extract or install or something along the lines of that

Type in your root password if req., then voila

Hope it helps

To reinstall itunes 6x, try the following

Download the programme "Pacifist".

Insert instal CD

Run Pacifist

Ignore the trial error message.

Click Open Apple Install Packages

Locate the iTunes package

Click extract or install or something along the lines of that

Type in your root password if req., then voila

Hope it helps

Here is an easier way, download iTunes 6.0.5 from Apple Here

Well, just to report:

None of the hacks/tips/tricks in this thread helped and I went back to iTunes 6.0.5. The issue with that was the iTunes Library created by iTunes 7 wasn't backwards compatible with 6.0.5, so it wouldn't install. I downloaded the 6.0.5 dmg from the link in the post above this one, it wouldn't install because "There is nothing to install."

Opened the .mpkg, went into Contents/Resources, executed the iTunesX.pkg, then went into my Music/iTunes folder and deleted the iTunes Library file and all is right with my OSX installation once again.

Kinda sad that I can't watch TV previews or movie trailers off iTunes, but I guess I can still get to them from the web. Oh well, I'll keep checking in the hopes that someone resolves this issue.

bb

Well, just to report:

None of the hacks/tips/tricks in this thread helped and I went back to iTunes 6.0.5. The issue with that was the iTunes Library created by iTunes 7 wasn't backwards compatible with 6.0.5, so it wouldn't install. I downloaded the 6.0.5 dmg from the link in the post above this one, it wouldn't install because "There is nothing to install."

Opened the .mpkg, went into Contents/Resources, executed the iTunesX.pkg, then went into my Music/iTunes folder and deleted the iTunes Library file and all is right with my OSX installation once again.

Kinda sad that I can't watch TV previews or movie trailers off iTunes, but I guess I can still get to them from the web. Oh well, I'll keep checking in the hopes that someone resolves this issue.

bb

Did you loose all of your song ratings and play counts when you deleted the library file?

For those having trouble after the PPC method, try looking at the package contents for the PPC copy -> MacOS -> Open one of the Unix Executable files. It can take a little bit to load however. Also to note, I am running on a SSE2 chip and things are working fine when I open it this way.

Did you loose all of your song ratings and play counts when you deleted the library file?

I don't use iTunes for music management, so no, I didn't lose anything. All my mp3 files are backed up on DVDs - I hand tagged and ripped them all myself over the years. 72 DVDs of mp3 files, about 60K songs on the playlist, and over 2,400 CDs archived with EAC and LAME.

:)

bb

bizzare... I had the out of memory problem with my sse2 athlon64, switched to ppc and it works fine, decent speed. Haven't tried cover flow. The wierd part: It was working fine native on my macbook pro, until I installed Uno. It's a program that changes the theme of several applications including iTunes. After running Uno and changing the iTunes theme I get the same error even on a real mac. Is this some sort of iTunes copy protection? If you modify iTunes or some other part of the system is wonky you get an out of memory error?

Not sure if it helps at all but I was compareing 6.0.2 and 7.0 Info.plist files and I found the following that was in the 7.0 and NOT in the 6.0.2 file.

<key>HIWindowFlushAtFullRefreshRate</key>
<true/>

I also ran a "find" in the 6.0.2 file to make sure I didn't just miss it as the 7.0 file lists different things in different orders. I'm going to try to install just a 7.0 install and then change that to false and let oyu all know if it works or not.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't help at all. Time to check the rest of the files.

- Dustin

I bought a Celeron 2.6Ghz one month before. Do you know if it's SSE3 capable?

How can I know if it's SEE3 capable or not?

So if it comes with SSE3, I'll try downloading iTunes 7.

Thanks!

If it's classified as a Celeron D then yes it supports SSE3.

bb

If it's classified as a Celeron D then yes it supports SSE3.

bb

In the future you can just open up System Profiler and right when it opens up you'll see on the right a list of info, go to CPU Features and if SSE3 is listed there then that means it can support SSE3.

Also is there any word on a patched iTunes 7 for SSE2 chips?

For all those having problems with going back to 6.0.5....

Trash iTunes 7 from Applications folder and delete everything related to iTunes in Library/Receipts.

Now just run iLife installation. Install iTunes from there. It is 6.0.2 though but who cares.

Hi everybody,

I made the update to iTunes 7 and the newest Quicktime, quixos method works for me (i didn't changed the Info.plst) but what the strange is, my internal speakers dont work anymore and the digital out led lits now permanently. digital out does not work but headphones work. (Allthough i dont know if digital out worked before).

I have an Acer Aspire 1962 wlmi, SoundCard is AC97. Btw, i did not changed any kext-files and the sound plays anyway, even the internal mic works, the System-Profiler shows no information. Is this normal behavior or do i have to change my kext like kyklop or maybe some other i missed to get features like line in or mic in ? could not test that all so i actually dont know if it works.

TIA, Prince

EDIT: The issue with the speaker and digital out was some kind of rusted contact, sorry about that.

Edited by princ3

I have a SSE2 CPU (P4 2.0@2.2), iTunes 7 works with modified Info.plist but DARN it's slow. It almost hangs the whole machine: When I click on a song to play, it takes around half a minute to start playing. And while playing, CPU load is 100% so other apps (especially Rosetta ones) are very thankful :(

So, just downgraded to 6.0.5 (used the download link above, thanks Afraydo!).

I don't like iTunes anyway, but one thing's true: There's nothing better around for mac. (so missing the automatically updating winamp library... snif)

EDIT: iTunes 6.0.5 works but it plays my videos without sound (mp3s work), any ideas?

Ok, this is strange! It seems that I'm the first SSE3 user with this memory error on iTunes 7! I'm running Jas 10.4.6 + semjaza 10.4.7 update on a Pentium 541 (3.2 ghz, NX, EMT64, SSE3) with an Asrock 945G board. I have tried uninstalling iTunes with Appzapper and installing both the old version and the new version again, as well as installing the new quicktime over and over again. Nothing helps.

This sucks even more, because my iTunes store bugs the same way (memory error when trying to authorize machine on store login) even after downgrading iTunes back to version 6.0.x! Anyone had the same?

Not sure if it helps at all but I was compareing 6.0.2 and 7.0 Info.plist files and I found the following that was in the 7.0 and NOT in the 6.0.2 file.

<key>HIWindowFlushAtFullRefreshRate</key>
<true/>

I also ran a "find" in the 6.0.2 file to make sure I didn't just miss it as the 7.0 file lists different things in different orders. I'm going to try to install just a 7.0 install and then change that to false and let oyu all know if it works or not.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't help at all. Time to check the rest of the files.

- Dustin

I'd like to be the 1st to thank you for trying to get itunes 7 to work on sse2 processors, we need more people like you willing to do work. I just wanted to thank you, and wish you good luck :)

Hm figured out, when i access my soundcard then sometimes sound works on my internal speakers that is when the digital out led does not lit, and sometimes there is no sound, that is when the digital out led lits. I have no control over this, its absolutely arbitrary, so i would not recommend to upgrade to itunes7 when you have an acer aspire 1692 wlmi like me :2cents:

EDIT: the issue with the speaker and digital out was some kind of rusted contact, sry.

Edited by princ3